Q'Viva! The Chosen: Latinos Got Talent

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

22 replies to this topic

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

• Interests:http://www.biblegateway.com/

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 10:00 PM

More info from the press release here.

Q'VIVA! THE CHOSEN, the first-of-its-kind docu-journey series showcasing Latin music and dance, and featuring entertainment icon Jennifer Lopez, international music star Marc Anthony and world-renowned concert director Jamie King, will premiere Saturday, March 3 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX, and will continue with two-hour episodes for five weeks until its grand finale Saturday, April 7 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT).

In Q'VIVA! THE CHOSEN, Lopez, Anthony and King will travel through 20 countries to find and showcase the most outstanding Latin singers, dancers, musicians and other amazing performers. The transcontinental journey, which includes stops in Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Panama, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Paraguay, Peru, Puerto Rico, Uruguay, Venezuela and the United States will also feature the incredible stories and personal journeys of the performers they discover.

After travelling the globe, and reviewing talent through the BlackBerry® PlayBook™ tablet, Lopez, Anthony and King will bring the chosen ones to the U.S. to prepare for what is sure to be the most important performance of their lives in a spectacular show that will be the greatest celebration of Latin music and performance arts ever produced.

www.qvivathechosen.com.
This is info for the Fox broadcast, but this will also air on Univision.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 9:42 PM

This being on Saturday nights probably won't help it's ratings, huh?
I watched most of this, and thought it was pretty entertaining, though not exactly must see TV.
I liked the extremely good looking tango dancers in Argentina, the acrobatic dancers in Mexico and the group of male dancers who performed out in a field (Argentina, too, I think).
I was surprised to see how very small all the performers seemed to be- at least very short compared to JLo.
I was enjoying the 'eavesdropping' quality of the JLo/Marc interactions in the limos, with the sniping, joking, smirking, eye rolling, etc.

Pacodakat

Pacodakat

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 10:41 PM

Latino entertainers from around the world get to strut their stuff.

Is anyone else watching this show? I love it. It's like a window into J lo and Marks marriage and a kick butt talent competition.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 11:04 PM

The talent seems quite questionable as 'Las Vegas' entertainment, but watching those 2 is fascinating. I assume it's all scripted, or at the very least, selectively edited, but they certainly seem to be putting forth JLo as the injured party.
Oh, and tonight I loved Marc Anthony singing with the female mariachi group.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Mar 18, 2012 @ 4:42 AM.
Threads merged

Dancin Queen

Dancin Queen

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 2:07 AM

The best part is the banter between Marc & Jennifer. I could watch an hour of them going at it...and the talent is good too.

prmami

prmami

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 8:15 AM

I saw a commercial but I forgot to tape it. From reading the description it doesn't sound too much like a competition, which I think I like even more.

ETA: I take that back. I just reread the above and the next episode description. The contestants audition and the judges decide who moves on to the next round. Would this be a 'Competitive Reality Show' then?

Edited by prmami, Mar 18, 2012 @ 8:20 AM.

Ketzel

Ketzel

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 9:58 AM

It's totally a competitive reality show. They even had all the contestants they chose in the field trips come to LA, audition again for the 3 judges, and then they cut from 200 to 40. We saw the first half of the cuts last night -- in an airplane hangar, with a plane standing by. Each act had a one-on-one meeting with the judges, and if they didn't make it to the show, they had to get on the airplane right then and there (in costume! carrying their luggage! Odd and certainly uncomfortable for a long flight.) And they did all the American Idol fake-outs of seeming to say "no," then suddenly saying "YES!" ["You know you are in a very competitive category and we only have room for one of you and, while you were very good, it just seemed to us . . . " Marc shakes head very sadly while contestant looks like s/he is about to die . . . "as if we had to have you on the show!!!"]

He's no Ryan Seacrest, for sure. :-) But what I didn't like was that we got to see the real desperation behind many of these performers. These aren't 16 year-olds who grew up watching American Idol and want to be pop stars. These are people who never thought they'd get a chance at a career doing an art they love and have worked on for many years (most of the talent are adults.) And here's the most amazing opportunity and it's been handed to them and . . . Not gonna happen.

I also thought some of what they did was cruel. (Marc picking only the child lead from that group of Columbian street performers and giving him only a minute or two to decide whether to stay alone in LA or return to the barrio with all his friends and his father-figure mentor was painful to watch. I have to believe that possibility had been discussed with the group in advance, or how else could they just leave the kid behind? Someone has to be his guardian, no?)

I also thought many of the performers they picked were far from good enough for this kind of show. The mariachi singer Marc selected, and then cut, was not that strong a singer and was cheesy even for mariachi. [Apologies to any mariachi fans out there.] I agree that he should have picked the all-female group, but I wonder if Marc has too traditional an approach to the music to be open to an all-female group. They were great, however, and the lead was amazing.

The Marc/Jennifer break-up does seem a constant theme in this series as well and is actually pretty interesting and touching.

Edited by Ketzel, Mar 18, 2012 @ 3:04 PM.

doowtahtabat

doowtahtabat

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 10:37 PM

i agree about the mean and cruel aspect- Americans under the guise of promoting Latin Culture - crush family and community to promote individualism and success at all costs- I really liked the first episodes although jennifer trying to split up the dance partners was annoying. but their splitting up teams in la and sending people back to hellish conditions kept me awake last night. Was there a disclaimer to the people that they were coming to the US to audition ? because we never saw one on the show- It was just come to US and we want you. i thought marc had an insight early when he talked about not really seeing the world only the hyatts but he does not seem to understand what someone like the mariachi player gave up to come- jennifer crying about her relatives was not moving to me but selfcentered and out of touch - to me Bullies and elitist ..

Pacodakat

Pacodakat

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 12:20 AM

I had the exact opposite reaction to Jennifer crying. I thought it seemed like a real moment between the two of them, especially when she talked about her eyelashes falling off. They have a real connection that comes through (for me) on screen. Either that or they’re both great actors. I too was worried about the young guy from Honduras being all alone. How is he going to perform without the group? I wondered why they couldn’t give the contestants at least a week or so in LA, just two days and then “see ya” It seemed kind of abrupt.

I’m not sure why but I feel such joy in watching the performers from different cultures and backgrounds who all speak the same language. I love that they primary speak Spanish on the show, although this will probably end up hurting its chances with an American audience, I think the show has a great vibe. I can only hope that some help (maybe money) is given to some of the contestants that were sent home.

doowtahtabat

doowtahtabat

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:33 AM

oh I thought jennifer was really moved about her family but when you have been exposed to the hardships the contestants have endured - it seemed selfish- and out of touch- i really do like most of the contestants and ireally liked marc the first 2 episodes- i was hoping it would last and i would love it

Ketzel

Ketzel

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 2:56 PM

So last night was the end of the (first round?) of cuts. It's not clear to me whether getting to move into the Q'Viva compound means you are guaranteed a spot on the final show. Marc, Jennifer and poor non-Spanish-speaking Jamie kept referring to their "vision" for the big show, but it sure wasn't clear what that vision was. Is this a show that exposes the folk traditions of Latin America? The modern Las Vegas style talent? The never-seen-before creativity? Who knows? But their vision encompasses Guatamalan flute players who dance to bells, one-and-a-third dance crews from Argentina, a Mexican pop singer, three pair of mediocre salsa dancers from Columbia (?)a couple of Puerto Rican guitar players, and quite a few other people, most of whom are absolutely not ready for prime time in the American market. Especially nearly all of the dancers. Marc kept using the word "unrefined." The real words are "badly trained," "lacking in technique" and "badly choreographed."

The stupidest part was watching Jamie interacting in mime with the dancers. I don't understand why, if he is picking just three couples out of a big crowd of dancers, he can't LEARN THEIR NAMES, and call them out by THEIR NAMES. Instead, he gets off his stool, treads awkwardly over to the crowd and tugs on their arms. It was confusing to them, until Jennifer started explaining what was going on, and embarressing to him.

I don't know if I can continue to watch this. The ones who've been cut seem seriously hurt and disappointed and I have a feeling the ones who are left are in for still more shock, and painful cuts.

Edited by Ketzel, Mar 25, 2012 @ 6:38 PM.

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 5:20 PM

I watched this last night for the first time. I'm also not sure what their intent is. But just as I watch TAR for the places they go, I like this for the culture aspect. I was touched by quite a few of the acts.

I hate the breaking up of the big acts. So very said because you feel there is more on the line than going back to a job at pizza hut.

WHo is this Jamie person? Should I know him?

Ketzel

Ketzel

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 6:42 PM

Jamie King is a concert/spectacle producer. He's worked with Cirque du Soleil and Madonna. He may have a big rep in the industry, but he's hardly a household name.

Edited by Ketzel, Mar 25, 2012 @ 6:47 PM.

walkabout123

walkabout123

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 5:18 AM

I watched the first 4 shows on Video on Demand, and I really liked them. I liked the banter between Jennifer and Marc, and seeing all those hot Latin men and beautiful women.

I noticed though, that the two acts that Marc was drooling over--the drop dead gorgeous twins and the Brazilian salsa dancer with the great butt--didn't make the cut. Jennifer definitely didn't like the way Marc was eyeballing them, and I think that may have been a factor in them being eliminated, particularly the twins. Bad idea for them to wink at him in front of his wife, even though he and Jennifer were in the process of getting a divorce.

Speaking of butts, what happened to Jennifer's??? She used to have a great butt, and now it's almost flat. I know she has lost weight recently, but it shouldn't have deflated like that.

As for Jamie King, he may be a great promoter, but he's pretty lame on this show. He has very little to say, or maybe his comments are being edited out. He looks like a deer in the headlights whenever the participants start speaking Spanish.

prmami

prmami

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 8:28 AM

My heart went out to the Samba dancer. I'm assuming they have someone there to translate for the Brazilians because Portuguese and Spanish are different despite their many similarities.

But just as I watch TAR for the places they go, I like this for the culture aspect. I was touched by quite a few of the acts.

I enjoy both shows and watch for the same reasons as you, angelita100. I also love that you have the different shades of brown represented, notably in Guatemala, Honduras, Brazil, Colombia and Puerto Rico. I didn't realize this was on On Demand. I'll have to catch the previous episodes because I'm puzzled as to how this is all going to work out. I'm not sure how this is doing in the US ratings wise but I heard it's quite a hit in Latin America.

walkabout123

walkabout123

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 5:14 PM

Q'Viva finished last in it's time slot in all 4 of its airings to date (i.e., last among major networks). Consequently, Fox just bumped it to 11:00 PM. "Cops" will go back to airing in the 8:00 PM slot. They also cut the show from 2 hours to 90 minutes. The finale is April 7.

I can't say I'm surprised. I like the show, but it couldn't decide what it wanted to be. Is it a competition? If so, the selection process was never clearly explained. It seems more like a documentary about how Jennifer and Marc are putting together a Vegas show. Are all of the people from the last show definitely in, or are there going to be more eliminations? Again, don't know.

I like that much of the show is in Spanish, but that probably turned off many viewers. Shows and movies with subtitles are a tough sell with American audiences. I also liked seeing all of the diversity in Latin culture. IMO, great idea for a TV show--not so great execution.

Edited to correct grammar.

Edited by walkabout123, Mar 30, 2012 @ 6:00 AM.

yesenializ

yesenializ

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 12:58 AM

I liked the first couple of shows but it's wearing out its welcome at my household. The whole thing seems like an excercise in cruelty, especially the last two shows. I think that they feel they are being clever by bringing in drama and breaking up the couples and groups, but to me it just seems unnecessarily mean. I also agree that the show itself does not know what it wants to be, and that it does feel more like a "making of" documentary rather than a competitive reality show. They seem have gotten rid of almost everyone I liked and kept most of the others had forwarded through (I mean, a guy lifting heavy equipment with his tongue? I don't want to be squirming while being entertained, thank you very much).

I do like the JLo and Marc banter, but I'm not sure that's enough to keep watching.

Ketzel

Ketzel

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:14 AM

More eliminations last night, including picking just one dancer out of a group of eight and sending him home. Not to mention the whole storyline about two people from different acts (and countries)starting to fall for each other when the boy (in the capoeira troupe) gets injured. At first they fear he's damaged his spine, but he comes back from the hospital walking and tells the camera he has pulled muscles and he needs to rest a few days, but he is hopeful he'll heal in time to perform. Then a day or two later they do another show/round of cuts for J,J and M, and he can't perform then, and he's cut. Cue floods of tears from the girl in the Columbian dance crew as she watches her new boyfriend sadly leave the show.

I don't think this is anything like a documentary about making a Vegas show. I think it's a competitive reality show where the contestants have no idea what the rules of the game are. Did anyone tell them in advance that only X number of performers would make the show? I put in "X" because even now I have no idea what that number is. Jamie, Jennifer and Marc keep telling them things like "we have too many dancers," or "we don't have any more slots for singers" or "we only have a couple more spaces left in the compound" but NOBODY puts a number on anything.

And for those who thought the show would be about revealing authentic Latin talent to the North American audience, having Shakira's choreographer show up to choreograph a scene of "street dancing" pretty much convinced me that's not what the producers actually wanted. And imo, you don't need to import one hundred dancers from South America to audition for choreography that could be much better understood and performed by a random selection of people currently training or performing in NYC, Hollywood or Las Vegas. I'm sure many of those people are going home feeling both like failures and like they were set up to fail. Sad.

Edited by Ketzel, Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:21 AM.

Ketzel

Ketzel

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:14 AM

Sorry, double post.

Edited by Ketzel, Apr 1, 2012 @ 10:19 AM.

under the el

under the el

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 5:58 PM

I also love that you have the different shades of brown represented, notably in Guatemala, Honduras, Brazil, Colombia and Puerto Rico. I didn't realize this was on On Demand. I'll have to catch the previous episodes because I'm puzzled as to how this is all going to work out. I'm not sure how this is doing in the US ratings wise but I heard it's quite a hit in Latin America.

Agreeing- its nice when TV shows that we're not all the same. There was an interview with Marc Anthony once, and they put a little sombrero over his name, and I was like, umm, no. There's not very much drama, but I do appreciate that whatever drama is shown seems to pop up naturally. Hoping that the Mayan's baby girl is ok! Did the Bomba group get cut out?

walkabout123

walkabout123

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 8:54 PM

I think it's a competitive reality show where the contestants have no idea what the rules of the game are.

The reason the contestants don't know the rules is because there aren't any. Jennifer and Marc are making it up as they go along. They auditioned random acts all over Latin America without a clear-cut vision as to what the final product would look like. People are being cut, not for lack of talent, but because J,J, and M didn't think the process through and wound up with too many similar acts. IMO that doesn't make it a competitive reality show. It's just one big, long, poorly-planned audition process for Jennifer and Marc's Las Vegas extravaganza. Not surprised that it tanked in the US ratings.

Edited by walkabout123, Apr 7, 2012 @ 12:37 AM.

Ketzel

Ketzel

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 10:39 AM

I don't know - I'm pretty sure the artists are thinking of it as a competitive reality show. Especially when Marc tells them things like, "We only have room for two singers," and there are three singers left. Followed by that totally stressful "sing for your life," round. But that may only be a matter of semantics and I certainly agree the whole concept was poorly thought out.

My final WTF?? moment was the ending. Was that the last show last night? Are they going to televise the actual Las Vegas performance, or was that final screen announcing "Q'Viva May 26, 2012 at Mandalay Bay, Las Vegas" letting me know that if I want to see this thing, I have to buy a ticket and travel to Nevada? I think I am pretty annoyed if I watched the whole, painful process of getting this show on the road and now I don't get to see any of the actual show.

I wonder if Marc and Jennifer had planned to join the cast from the get-go, or if they realized in the "war room" that this whole thing was going to bomb spectacularly if they didn't lend it some star power?

But, imo,the bottom line is J&M tool around Latin America, collect 200 performers, bring them back to the US and proceed to pound them into a Las Vegas review, with much of the "Latiness" eliminated or muddled with American pop culture. I guess I'm not all that sorry to miss seeing it, after all.

Edited to add: The Mexican brother-sister team who were working so hard, and got the "Kohl makeover" broke my heart. They are strong, but they have no grace, no line and no rhythm, and it seems the choreographers couldn't get much more out of them than they started with. Assuming they get any critical attention at all, they are either going to be torn to shreds, or condescended to as "folk" performers.

Edited by Ketzel, Apr 8, 2012 @ 10:45 AM.

walkabout123

walkabout123

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 1:56 PM

The Mexican brother-sister team who were working so hard, and got the "Kohl makeover" broke my heart. They are strong, but they have no grace, no line and no rhythm, and it seems the choreographers couldn't get much more out of them than they started with.

ITA. I don't know why they made the cut. Better acts than theirs were sent packing.

I also didn't like the way Jennifer and Marc kept jerking people around regarding eliminations. They led the acts to think they had made the final cut, the acts breathed a sigh of relief, and then they cut more people. Did the same thing again. And again. Unnecessarily cruel.

Also cruel to tell the 3 singers they only had room for 2 of them, and to tell the guys they only had room for 1 male singer. Nice that they kept all three, but why screw with their heads like that? It didn't make for riveting TV, just made it seem like Marc and Jennifer were either extremely indecisive or seriously power tripping.

As for the TV show, that was the season finale. If you want to see the show you will have to go to Vegas. I guess it wasn't a documentary or competitive reality show after all--just one great big fat infomercial.