5-17: "The Princess Dowry" 2012.02.27

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

192 replies to this topic

DevilRedeemed

DevilRedeemed

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 1:24 PM

I finally got around to watching this train wreck of an episode. If the goal was to continue the pattern of not making sense and destroying core relationships, this episode did not disappoint.

I liked that there was more Nate in this episode and that he actually had interaction with almost all of the other main characters. His budding romance with Lola is cute, and I really enjoyed him telling Lola that Serena was one of his closest friends and trying to get the two cousins *cough* half-sisters *cough* to get to know each other.

I also really loved Chuck’s conversation with Lily about Blair “changing” because I definitely agree that she’s been unrecognizable since 5.11. And Chuck saying he felt like he died in the car accident was so tragic; I just wish he could be happy for longer than 5 minutes this season. I do find it interesting that he feels dead right as Dan and Blair are becoming a couple. It’s very meta for Inside with Charlie Trout dying and then Dylan and Claire becoming a “thing.”

That’s about it for the things I liked. Onto things that made no sense:

- Everyone hating Ivy. Seriously? Especially Serena since she practically dragged her to the UES.
- Lola being Serena’s half-sister (this is implied, not confirmed, but STILL – more rewriting history from the writers).
- Estee’s “deal” with the Grimaldi’s that never actually existed. Um, what?
- Blair’s insta-forgiveness of Dan for sending in the video that ended her marriage and caused her to have a dowry in the first place.
- Blair and Serena having NO interaction AT HER GRANDMOTHER’S WAKE.
- Blair telling Chuck that she wasn’t in love with him. At least not right now. While I think it’s absurd that after over years of being in love with Chuck and telling him that she loves him more and more everyday for Blair to suddenly change her mind, I find solace in her comment about “not right now” and not the way Chuck deserves. This spoke volumes to me that Blair thinks Chuck deserves better. And right now, I think she’s right.

No Second Troy

No Second Troy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 1:44 PM

The video was never that big a deal for Blair- she forgave Serena instantly as well- even when she found our Serena hadn't sent she didn't seem to care who had sent it- the issue was that Dan should have told her the truth- she accepted his apology because he explained why he had done it and it was hard to argue with his motives- he didn't do it for selfish reasons- almost everyone had tried to talk her out of going ahead with the wedding

She had a dowry because she agreed to the dowry- that had nothing to do with Dan- and the dowry kicked in because she went through with the wedding- again nothing to do with Dan

If she forgave Serena why wouldn't she forgive Dan- particularly after all he has done to help her

As for what she said to Chuck- her words only confirmed what her own actions have indicated for months now- time and time again she has chosen not to be with Chuck- the only person that has stopped her from being with Chuck was Blair herself- it was a good thing that she was finally honest with him- But this isn't a sudden change of heart- it's been a very well signposted development

Edited by No Second Troy, Mar 9, 2012 @ 1:48 PM.

DevilRedeemed

DevilRedeemed

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 1:58 PM

She had a dowry because she agreed to the dowry- that had nothing to do with Dan- and the dowry kicked in because she went through with the wedding- again nothing to do with Dan

I was saying that without Dan sending in the blast, Louis wouldn't have turned "evil" and Blair would have had a shot at happy marriage (whether it would've lasted on it's own is another thing). Because Dan sent in the blast, Blair and Louis's marriage became a sham and the dowry was put into effect.

As for what she said to Chuck- her words only confirmed what her own actions have indicated for months now- time and time again she has chosen not to be with Chuck- the only person that has stopped her from being with Chuck was Blair herself- it was a good thing that she was finally honest with him- But this isn't a sudden change of heart- it's been a very well signposted development

I disagree with this. In 5.07, Blair goes to Chuck and seduces him to prove he hasn't changed because if he had changed, she would've chosen to be with him, then in 5.10, she decides to run off with him knowing that he has changed, and then the accident happens. Those actions suggest that deep down she wants to be with Chuck.

leelooUK

leelooUK

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 2:04 PM

That's a denial motive. When Blair and Dan kissed for the first time in S4 (episode 17) she chose Chuck for wrong reasons because again she was so afraid of her feelings for Dan, she just could not picture herself with a guy like Dan.
During and way before the wedding, she was still in denial and she IMO just tried to convince herself that marrying Louis was the only way to get away from Chuck but it was actually also a way to be away from Dan.

When she got confronted by Georgina and told her that she loved Chuck, that she even loves him more and more everyday, again it was all about denying her true feelings for Dan. She has always cared for Chuck, she loves him but she has stopped being in love with him for a while now. All her stories were actually excuses to avoid talking about her growing feelings for Dan. She realized her feelings for Dan when she acknoledged that Dan loves her for her and that someone other that Chuck could love her for her and that she could deserve to be loved for who she is.

Edited by leelooUK, Mar 9, 2012 @ 2:08 PM.

fantome14

fantome14

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 3:02 PM

Do we really need to rehash this debate again? The people who want to believe that Blair's actions show her falling out of love with Chuck will believe that, and the people who believe Blair's repeated declarations of her love for him will believe that. I don't really see anyone convincing someone to switch sides (probably because the writers make their writing suck in order to leave both doors open in the future).

xCosmicLove

xCosmicLove

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 5:43 PM

I do find it interesting that he feels dead right as Dan and Blair are becoming a couple. It’s very meta for Inside with Charlie Trout dying and then Dylan and Claire becoming a “thing.”

I think this is a very good point, seeing as how Dan and Blair both definitely seem to have taken on their “Inside” roles in order to be together. Everything that has happened with DB is so over the top and sudden that I question how much of what we’re seeing isn’t actually from Dan’s fanfiction. It’s difficult for me to believe the writers would destroy everything that the show was founded on in about five minutes, only to give them... terrible sex. DB don’t even have intellectualism or banter anymore. On another note, l also find Chuck’s comment about feeling as if he had died interesting to parallel with Blair’s comment in 5.12 about how she feels dead without Chuck.

No Second Troy

No Second Troy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 8:12 PM

Do we really need to rehash this debate again? The people who want to believe that Blair's actions show her falling out of love with Chuck will believe that, and the people who believe Blair's repeated declarations of her love for him will believe that. I don't really see anyone convincing someone to switch sides (probably because the writers make their writing suck in order to leave both doors open in the future).

Probably not :) And in fairness I don't mind that some will dislike this episode

I suppose my only issue with some of the analysis of this episode stems, not from the fact that some posters simply dislike the idea if Dan and Blair together, I don't have any issue with that but, the suggestion that Blair is suddenly acting OOC, has changed her mind on Chuck in the space of a couple of episodes etc- I don't believe the writing supports this- now you may not like the direction the writing has taken- that's a separate issue- but to suggest Dan and Blair have arrived at this point out of the blue?!?

At the end of this episode- having apparently, or at least potentially, lost everything- Blair goes to find Dan- the "what if I lose everything- you'll still have me" premise is pretty well telegraphed- the fact that Blair has already made a decison about her future is made clear in this episode by her reaction to the video being sent and Dan 'confessing' to being the villain- I don't mind that viewers may dislike this direction but I can't see how it is OCC

This episode is the pay off of a long arc from s4x17- and it does make sense

taconinja

taconinja

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 8:56 PM

This episode is the pay off of a long arc from s4x17- and it does make sense

Honestly I would say it goes back at least as far as 4x11... maybe earlier.

No Second Troy

No Second Troy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 8:58 PM

Honestly I would say it goes back at least as far as 4x11... maybe earlier.

I don't disagree :)

PdmntPdl

PdmntPdl

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 7:44 AM

I was saying that without Dan sending in the blast, Louis wouldn't have turned "evil" and Blair would have had a shot at happy marriage (whether it would've lasted on it's own is another thing). Because Dan sent in the blast, Blair and Louis's marriage became a sham and the dowry was put into effect.

I think Blair is really the main one at fault for the whole dowry mess. Rather than blaming Dan for sending in the evidence to Gossip Girl of Blair's pre-wedding confession, shouldn't Blair be held responsible for engaging in that conversation in the first place? If she actually wanted to marry Louis for love, he wouldn't have turned on her. They simply would have gotten married--sans dramatic Chair moment. Let's say that Blair had cheated on Louis, and Dan had told him about it. Would Dan be to blame for what happened to Louis & Blair's relationship? Where's the personal responsibility? The consequences from the blast aren't Dan's fault. It was a shady thing to do, and he admitted that he should have fessed up earlier (I think that lying about sending it was a bigger transgression than actually sending it). But as he said, his intention was to stop the wedding she had been reluctant about. Blair was pretty naive to think that after that bombshell dropped she could continue a marriage with no repercussions.

Then while knowing that the Grimaldi's were threatening to hold her family responsible for the dowry, she went around kissing Dan in public. It was fortuitous that Georgina was the only one to catch them on film. I get where Dan was coming from when he admonished Chuck for bankrupting the Waldorf family. Chuck acted to spite Dan without thinking of the consequences, but I don't think the dowry being cashed in can be blamed on him either. Maybe you could say that Dan was partially at fault since he also engaged in the kissing, but Blair is the one with something at stake. If she can't be bothered to act in the best interest of her family, why place blame on anyone else?

Edited by PdmntPdl, Mar 10, 2012 @ 7:53 AM.

Light of Night

Light of Night

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 11:28 AM

Since the point doesn't seem to be connected to this episode, I will respond on Louis's thread.

cathoderayS

cathoderayS

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 7:26 PM

The people who want to believe that Blair's actions show her falling out of love with Chuck will believe that, and the people who believe Blair's repeated declarations of her love for him will believe that. I don't really see anyone convincing someone to switch sides (probably because the writers make their writing suck in order to leave both doors open in the future).

THIS: there's enough ambiguity there across episodes to support both sides of interpretation...

QueenAnne

QueenAnne

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 11:13 PM

The video was never that big a deal for Blair- she forgave Serena instantly as well- even when she found our Serena hadn't sent she didn't seem to care who had sent it-

Blair didn't care who had sent it because the video ultimately wasn't a big deal for her as long as it rescued her and gave her a little breathing space from her problems - she was dying to get out of the sham marriage and recognized that whomever did it, it could only be a good potential "out". Everyone expected it to be the real deal, but that was the surprise. Blair's entire attitude towards this marriage has been very "New Yorkish", in the funniest and most blue-collar sense - she is approaching it all as if to say "You can't fight City Hall." Even a figurative monarchy seems, finally, beyond her capabilities of attack. She has been willing to align herself with everyone and anyone down to Estee in order to get herself out of this situation. Blair is cowed and has met her Waterloo at last, and although I love Blair it is simple poetic justice - "what happens once I get everything I always thought I ever wanted, and it's a complete nightmare?". IMO, it's no wonder she turned to Dan.

I also wanted to say, I agree completely with those who have pointed out the absurdity of this episode's VdeW plot line. Everyone did act mightily OOC and against all human comprehension, with the partial exception of Serena and Lola. Carol and Lily were incomprehensible even taking into account their hating each other, it might have been excusable if only everyone had discovered Carol's and William's sleazy secret at the wake, but as it stood Lily and Carol just looked petty, awful, and venal, I don't blame Lola for wanting to run away. Also call mighty bullshit on the "Cece had no problem leaving all her money to Ivy even though she knew she was an impostor" story - it would've been more poignant if she had given Ivy a nice quarter million or whatever and given everything else to Lola, the girl didn't ask to be hidden away and ignored. Unless Ivy told her that Lola had died or whatever, inexcusable, as the Cinderella storyline would have had almost exactly the same punch coming from Lola's point of view - she never wanted any of this, how does she cope? I only hope they resolve it interestingly.