5-17: "The Princess Dowry" 2012.02.27

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

192 replies to this topic

Philharmanic

Philharmanic

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 9:24 PM

BILLY BALDWIN (“WILLIAM VAN DER WOODSEN”) RETURNS/ANDREW MCCARTHY DIRECTS THE EPISODE — Blair (Leighton Meester) thinks Cyrus (Wallace Shawn, who does not appear in the episode) may have found a potential loophole in her prenup. Chuck (Ed Westwick) and Georgina (Michelle Trachtenberg) partner up in a scheme, but it has an unpredictable outcome.. Meanwhile, a family crisis brings William van der Woodsen (Baldwin) back to the Upper East Side. Blake Lively, Penn Badgley, Chace Crawford, Kaylee DeFer, Kelly Rutherford and Matthew Settle also star. Andrew McCarthy directed the episode written by Jake Coburn (##517).

taconinja

taconinja

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 9:29 PM

Yay Ivy! And that was a lot of build-up for the video where a simple mea culpa and apology ends that road block. Interesting. Who knew that simply apologizing and owning up to doing something stupid could work! ;)

Wow. Amazing how fast these episodes go when royals aren't involved.

slimekay

slimekay

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 9:30 PM

Indeed.... and dat promo! Can't believe we're going to have to wait a entire month...

This being said, tonight's episode wasn't that great. If only Georgina served a true purpose on this show...

Edited by slimekay, Feb 27, 2012 @ 9:35 PM.

orangeslice

orangeslice

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 9:30 PM

I had a feeling that CC probably knew that Ivy wasn't Charlie, kind of interested in this twist now. Carol is a piece of work, she should have been cut off from the family a long time ago. She really doesn't realize how hypocritical she is, because she's the absolute worse.

So glad that all the Dan secrets coming out didn't keep Dair from happening :)

Georgina annoys me to no end, but she sure knows how to stir the pot

waitingfor

waitingfor

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 9:36 PM

Maybe because this show has dulled me into idiocy, but I did not understand quite a few "twists". Can someone please help clear things up?

- So Dan initially admits to leaking the video and says he just wanted the wedding to stop and had no idea what the fallout would be. Blair forgives him. Makes sense till now.

- Later in the show, what exactly does he confess to? That he orchestrated the leak to win Blair? How could he have known what would happen? How is this consistent with anything he has done in the past few episodes?

- Why does Blair reach a deal with Georgina? What can Georgina even do to help? Do we know?

- What made Blair change her mind and go to the loft?

larapu2000

larapu2000

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 9:37 PM

Wow, Lily with the murder accusation. She's lucky Ivy didn't kick her out the minute the will reading was over.

Still wish Blair would understand why she shouldn't be with Chuck, though. Just because she realizes she's not in love with him doesn't mean she sees their relationship for the unhealthy beast that it was.

Philharmanic

Philharmanic

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 9:38 PM

Coburn is sort of famously an awful GG writer, but I did enjoy some things:

- Blair looked gorgeous again! Yay for that!
- Blair telling Dan off for lying and blaming Chuck and Serena - so glad she stood up to him and that issue has been put to rest
- "You said my name...say it again." "Daaaaaaaaaaaan." UNF.

Weird stuff:

- Chuck blames Dan for everything right after he knowingly forced the Waldorfs to pay Blair's dowry?
- Chuck is a douche, nothing new
- Eric conveniently couldn't come because he's...in Africa? Wasn't he going to a college 15 minutes away? And he missed his grandma's funeral?

larapu2000

larapu2000

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 9:39 PM

- Later in the show, what exactly does he confess to? That he orchestrated the leak to win Blair? How could he have known what would happen? How is this consistent with anything he has done in the past few episodes?

I think Dan confessed to using the month after Chuck's accident and before the wedding to keep Chuck and Blair apart. I think.

inanityrules

inanityrules

Channel Surfer

The episode was blah from start to finish. The only saving grace was the adorable Dair scene at the end, it genuinely made me melt.

Georgina was lame. Chuck was lamer. The "epic" take-down was ridiculous and inconsequential, as was the stupid video SL they've been hanging on us for the past 3 episodes. The dialogue was cringe-worthy, especially between Chuck and Blair (they seem to be going from bad to worse).

Still didn't understand why Dan just walked off when Chuck accused him of trying to separate him and Blair. Or why Chuck seemed to think the video was the only reason Blair wasn't "falling in his arms".

Was I supposed to be surprised that Cece knew who Ivy was and left all the money to her? Because I wasn't.

Quite a let-down after the last few episodes, imo.

taconinja

taconinja

Loyal Viewer

@waitingfor

He confessed to not owning up to the video release earlier because he wanted to be her hero.

I don't think Blair knows what Georgina can do but she's willing to let Georgina give it a shot. Probably doesn't think she has much to lose.

I think Blair realizes she still wants to give it a shot with Dan.

Edited by taconinja, Feb 27, 2012 @ 9:39 PM.

waitingfor

waitingfor

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 9:47 PM

Thanks, @larapu2000 and @taconinja!

So I guess he is being written as the white knight who wants to be her only hero.

TobinAlbers

TobinAlbers

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 9:47 PM

This episode moved right along, didn't it?

Video fiasco? Done.
Picture of Dan and Blair kissing? Done
Blair setting Chuck straight on where they stand? Done
Blair admitting her feelings to Dan? Done and done!

Although I just can't believe they didn't rip each other's clothes off right then and there instead of waiting for the 'right time'. Dan and Blair already seemed ready to get it on in their first scene of the episode.

It is classic Gossip Girl that when a character goes to cry on someone's shoulder they throw in a twist reveal that sends that character off in another new storyline. Chuck went to Lily to bemoan about Blair only to get all quizzical about Uncle Jack saving his life. I'm glad he's going to be off in a non-Blair related storyline for a while. He needs to clear his head and get some perspective. Although I totally felt for the guy. He was so desperate and frustrating and grasping at anything to blame for his and Blair's problems when she hit him with the truth- her feelings were changing.

For some reason it did not surprise me that Lola was Serena's half-sister.

Serena laying on her bed in just absolute aimless despair was pretty darned sad. She was really just waiting for something to drop into her lap to distract her, motivate her, push her- and judging by the package Georgina sent her, Serena will definitely be busy in the final batch of episodes-and have a lot of power.

Loved, loved, loved the 360 spin around of the Dair kiss. It perfectly conveyed the heady feelings they both had to be feeling at the moment of enjoying that they both were on the same page and their feelings were out in the open. Dan just reveling in Blair calling him by his first name and asking her to say it again and again and kissing her each time had me grinning like an idiot. Cannot believe these two got to this point so fast, and I know it can't last, but I will enjoy it while I can.

Edited by TobinAlbers, Feb 27, 2012 @ 9:50 PM.

ilovestamos

ilovestamos

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 9:50 PM

Carol is, in the words of Kim Richards, a slut pig. She's the worst of the whole lot of them. Can someone really collect 20 years of child support if she never bothered to tell the father that he's the father? Loved William's burn that Carol would finally have to get a real job.

And I loved WASPy Cece's Irish wake.

Of course Dair made my heart go pitter patter. I'm glad Chair is finally done. It feels a little forced that Blair is no longer in love with Chuck, but I'll take it.

taconinja

taconinja

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 9:52 PM

So I guess he is being written as the white knight who wants to be her only hero.

I think he went a bit crazy with that wedding fiasco. God knows we fans were. Owning up to it was good, though, instead of just looking for someone to blame for his actions (Chuck.)

Maka

Maka

Stalker

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 9:52 PM

That was fun! I didn't really get Chuck's logic with trying to ruin Blair's shot at getting out of the marriage, or what in the world Georgina's deal is at this point, but I still found the epi entertaining.

I actually laughed aloud at CeCe's choice in wake, I would never have guessed in a million years that's what she would have preferred. I also loved that she invited "the help" - as Lilly stunned, and they were all having a grand old time drinkin' in her honor. I'm a little baffled at why she decided Ivy was the only one she could really trust or feel safe with, but it sure was meanly fun watching Ivy kick Lilly and Rufus all the way out of Manhattan!

Georgina's part in reveal after reveal was a little forced and silly, but I did crack up when she showed up at Blair's saying she was going to Solve!Everything! (Of course.) I haven't the faintest idea how she's going to keep the Waldorf's from being po', but okay. If you say so, show. It was just ridiculous enough for me to be interested.

Can anyone tell me who the GG laptop was being mailed to? I couldn't quite read the label before it cut away, (damn my tiny, tiny TV.) Was it Serena?

Loved that Dan and Blair worked their stuff out and got to have spin-y spin-y kisses at the end. And I was super happy Blair had such a mature conversation with Chuck beforehand too. About dang time girl.

The only thing I didn't like was Lola, holier than thou gets my goat every time and she's got that down pat, apparently. Eh. It might be fun if she stays all bitchy and teams up with Ivy to make the VW clan miserable though - at least for awhile. Lilly and Carol were being pretty gross. I felt sorry for Serena though, she kept trying to bridge the gap with Lola and the adults kept fucking it up!

fantome14

fantome14

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 9:53 PM

Does anyone think Dan's admission that he was just trying to keep Chuck and Blair apart was just his throwing up his hands and saying, "fine, I did it, Chuck wins"? But I agree that the whole thing doesn't make much sense. The writers just probably wanted to skip to the Dair kissing stuff.

By the way, is it possible to have a crush not just on a fictional character, but on a fictional couple? *fans self*

Edited by fantome14, Feb 27, 2012 @ 9:53 PM.

taconinja

taconinja

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 9:54 PM

Of course Dair made my heart go pitter patter. I'm glad Chair is finally done. It feels a little forced that Blair is no longer in love with Chuck, but I'll take it.

I don't feel it's forced as it's fairly obvious to me that she's been clinging to that old love because she's afraid of her own changing feelings.

larapu2000

larapu2000

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 10:00 PM

I didn't really get Chuck's logic with trying to ruin Blair's shot at getting out of the marriage, or what in the world Georgina's deal is at this point, but I still found the epi entertaining.

I think because that would mean Blair and Dan could be together immediately. He was hoping that during the year Blair was married to Louis that she would realize she didn't want to be with Dan, and then when she was all untangled, they would be together again.

Nate alludes to this when he tells Chuck at the espresso maker (which I TOTALLY coveted), "it's only a year.'

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 10:00 PM

Oh Chuck, back to his old ways I see. Seriously? I thought he was a changed man. This seems like something season 2 Chuck would do. Silly me for thinking that he would listen to Nate and take it like a man. I don't like jealous Chuck. Although it causes for drama, it's annoying and it's one more reason I don't want Chuck/Blair anymore.

Well thank god that the video reveal didn't cause a whole four episodes of drama. I'm glad it wrapped up in one episode. Yay for Dair, though. Again, they made the episode.

Lily, Serena, Carol, STFU. First of all, Carol hired Ivy so why the hell is she so pissed? She started this all. Just because the plan blew up in her face doesn't mean anything. And I'm really annoyed at Serena and Lily. Lola was absolutely right in telling Serena off. I feel sorry for Ivy too. She didn't deserve all of this crap. Ivy's done nothing but do what she was paid to do and then she was there for Cece and has always been kind to the family. Sure, she's lied and stuff, but that's not all on her. All that yelling at Ivy was really annoying. "Poisoning the family"? Really?

On the plus side, Ivy looks gorgeous with her new hair. She may be the prettiest girl on the show now.

Gah, Georgina has overstayed her welcome. Her husband, though, can stay. He was hilarious and charming tonight.

EBStarr

EBStarr

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 10:03 PM

I don't feel it's forced as it's fairly obvious to me that she's been clinging to that old love because she's afraid of her own changing feelings.

Agreed. That was set up in last week's episode and Blair finally got up the courage to admit it now, that all made perfect sense to me. She can still love and care about Chuck without wanting to be with him.

Add me to the group that didn't really get Dan's confession. Was it just about not confessing he'd sent the video? The time after the wedding that he didn't tell Chuck and Serena he was with Blair? Or like, the entire recent arc when he's been Blair's shoulder to cry on? The latter two options don't make sense since, as has been discussed here, Blair keeps coming to him and not the other way around, and she told him not to tell anyone where she was after the wedding.

But turning one simple lie, which he seems to have told for the equally wrong but much less complicated purpose of getting his romantic shot with Blair, into a whole histrionic "I am trying to keep you away from everyone you love, I am such a bad person, please run back to Chuck now" thing also doesn't make a lot of sense to me either. So I guess I still don't get it.

snarkmachine

snarkmachine

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 10:03 PM

The last Dan and Blair scene was totally adorable and almost made up for the heinousness of the rest of it.

I know Georgie has to leave but can Philip stay? His copy and paste scene had me cracking up.

Was Chuck seriously scheming to keep Blair in her sham of a marriage just so Dan wouldn't get to ~win her?

I have no idea why Dan would tell Chuck: "That's not what it happened." and then turn around and lie to Blair's face about it.

ridethemaverick

ridethemaverick

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

That was...confusing. Did Dan actually admit to being an isolator? Even though 95% of his actions leading up to this episode were anything but? WTF?

You know what? I'm just gonna go with it. The ending made my pulse race, so whatever. But writers, I'm watching you. Do NOT screw this up.

Georgina is pointless and boring now. Make it stop.

I hate Ivy's 6 packs a day voice, and I think the Van Der Woodsens have every right to feel the way they do, so it didn't give me any satisfaction when she kicked Lily out.

Poor Serena. I never thought I'd say that.

Poor Chuck. I REALLY never thought I'd say that. But I am glad Chair is over (for now).

Jessica02

Jessica02

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 10:10 PM

I honestly didn't like the episode. The last Dair scene (so cute!) was the saving grace of the episode, but otherwise, it was a plot-driven, nonsensical mess IMO. The sad thing is that it was still better than probably 85% of the episodes this season.

The whole thing with Dan made no sense to me. In one scene, he admits to leaking the video, but says he just did it to stop the wedding (fairly consistent w what was shown, as it was never implied that Dan thought he had a shot). Next scene with Chuck, he's admitting to trying to keep them apart..huh? It made no sense, and it felt like something was missing.

Chuck...what the hell was he doing this episode. His shock at the dowry being enough to bankrupt the Waldorfs was just dumb. Wasn't he in the hotel room when Sophie confronted Blair about it in the first place? Second, what was his motive? Was he trying to stop Blair from getting out of her prenup? Again, I was confused. Regardless, he was annoying. Then, we have his discovery about Jack. If more Bass family drama is on the way, I'll pass!

Georgina...I love a good scheme, but this was too much. How many conversations did she just happen to overhear? Also, now she's going to get Blair out of her prenup! GMAFB!

Nate was still propping guest stars, and while I liked Lola last episode, I'm already sick of her. She can leave anytime! How about we get some Nate/Serena scenes( you know they dated and were friends once) instead of this Nate/Lola crap. I'm over Ivy as well, but I guessed that Cece knew who she really was, so the will was not a surprise.

dreamdair

dreamdair

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 10:11 PM

There's quite a bit on tonight's episode. It just got interesting that Mr. vDW is the father of the real Charlie Rhodes. Caroline is just a hyprocrite. It will be interesting to see if Ivy will be an evil or a good girl.

Now, for my favorite and deep analysis of this storyline, Dair. I kinda knew that Blair finding out that Dan leak the video would do more good than harm. I didn't at first, but Dan's character is to do the right thing. Dan loves Blair and only want her to be happy. His explaination was exactly what I had envision. Dan confesses to Blair in front of Chuck was also a selfless act on his part. He loved Blair so deeply that he would rather have her think he was this horrible person and make Chuck the good guy. He thought that Chuck still might make her happy so he would rather loose her and have her be happy (IMO). Thank goodness it didn't turn out that way. Blair is in love with Dan because he loved her for her. By leaking the Valentine's Day video, Chuck was selfish and thoughtless. He didn't realize how this would do to Blair's family. All he cared about was making sure that Dan cannot ever have Blair. Of course, his plan backfired.

What's interesting is how Georgina can help Blair. My question is why would Georgina want to give Serena all these secrets or have Serena takes turn being GG?

Blue32

Blue32

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 10:23 PM

The episode was kind of a mess overall, and I hate the 360-degree camera spin kiss trope (hated it with Josh and Donna on The West Wing, too), but I loved the last scene to pieces. "You just said my name." Yes! I'm sure the writers will find ingenious ways to crap all over the pairing in short order, but that was pretty great. It also felt like a long time coming, somehow. Blair suddenly being all about Dan after swearing up and down she was totally devoted to Chuck forever and ever, amen only makes sense if you buy that Blair has been in denial for a long time, though.

I liked the contrast to Chuck/Blair, in that their big scene at the end wasn't about theatrical capital-g Gestures like Chuck's elaborate declaration of love in the season two finale but was kind of modest and humble. Blair's big "gesture" was calling Dan by his first name, which was both a little thing and, given their relationship, a very big thing. It was nice. (Standard disclaimer about how the writers will no doubt torpedo the pairing before long, blah blah blah.)

The music in the last scene ("New York City" by Among the Savages) was perfection. The lyrics aren't romantic at all (and kind of depressing, actually), but the music had the right feel: raucous, hopeful, and joyous.

Edited by Blue32, Feb 27, 2012 @ 10:48 PM.

waitingfor

waitingfor

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 10:26 PM

Look, most people here agree that GG has long been lousy at the whole "show, don't tell" aspect of storytelling. I am just worried that even when they told us stuff (Dan confessing to something I don't comprehend), we don't understand what happened because it's just so goddamn rushed! Am I alone in this? *Rant Over*

TrishPike

TrishPike

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 10:28 PM

Anybody else think the "Say my name again" at the end was a reference to "Pride and Prejudice"? Maybe because I just saw it but it smacked of the scene at the end with Elizabeth and Darcy where she calls him "Mr. Darcy" over and over while kissing

snarkmachine

snarkmachine

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 10:34 PM

Anybody else think the "Say my name again" at the end was a reference to "Pride and Prejudice"? Maybe because I just saw it but it smacked of the scene at the end with Elizabeth and Darcy where she calls him "Mr. Darcy" over and over while kissing

I just thought it was because she always calls him Humphrey and he liked hearing her say his first name.

Brinny

Brinny

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 10:35 PM

I'm am so confused about what they want us to believe that Dan did or did not do and why. Holy whiplash GG writers!

I was just left with so many questions after this episode (most of them rhetorical): Why didn't they make Ed Westwick do another take after he Britished (totally a word, look it up) "drawer"? Since when is Eric in Africa? WHY is Eric in Africa? How can Nate be both absolutely adorable yet utterly forgettable at the same time? How are Dan and Blair oh-so-cute together when their storyline is such a mess? Did the writers really think that Van Der Daddy being Lola's father was an actual twist? Do they assume that their audience has never seen a soap opera? How much money am I betting that the last time Dan said "say it again" was actually a Penn Badgely ad-lib? And finally, when did Philip become my new favourite character? Hmm. So much to ponder.

minneapple

minneapple

Stalker

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 10:58 PM

The last scene was adorable.

The rest of the episode was a waste of time.