8-14: "Love Is Blind" 2012.02.26

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

26 replies to this topic

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Nikita

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 9:40 PM

From Zap2it:

The team works to save a blind man with a mysterious illness; House's mother makes an unexpected visit.

Edited by TWoP Nikita, Mar 18, 2012 @ 5:00 PM.

ljac63

ljac63

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 8:22 PM

House seriously did not expose himself in front of his mother! And how funny that the Sean Connery lookalike (from the funeral episode) is a Scottish man.

Driad

Driad

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 8:57 PM

I enjoyed it. The interaction among House, his mother, and father-candidate was as "heartwarming" as we could have hoped for. If House took a Y-DNA test he could narrow down the possibilities.

The ending (patient & girlfriend) was too upbeat for my taste though.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

I think of Billy Connolly as Hugh Laurie's contemporary. I just looked it up and was surprised to learn he is 17 years older than Laurie, within the range to play his father.

090108joanna

090108joanna

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 7:26 AM

I liked Thomas Bell. He's a cool character and I thought he was believable as House's dad. Now that we know he isn't, I wonder if we'll ever be told who really is, and if House and his mother will ever really have a serious talk about John's abuse. They played this one largely for laughs, when it could've been the single most dramatic element in 8 years of character development. But I'm suspending judgment until the season's over and the final episode has aired, because I still hold out hope that we'll get at least some real answers to the burning questions that might help to explain the enigma that is Gregory House.

There were some wonderful moments in this, though -- particularly House going to his mother's hotel door, turning around to leave, and then turning back, knowing he had to deal with her (this was when he thought she had cancer). Also, the scene near the end with Thomas, when House wordlessly conceded that he respects and loves his mother.

As for Blythe, this ep revealed things that might make House feel she's "less boring," but they don't ring true with what we already knew about her or with her choice of husband. It seems highly unlikely to me that the young bride of a gung-ho Marine in the late '50s/early 60's would've done any of the following: (1)sleep around with more than one other man while her husband was deployed on maneuvers; (2)get high; (3)protest the Vietnam War. Also, it was pretty cruel of her to let Greg believe she was ill when she wasn't. Prior episodes in which she appeared showed her to be John's loving wife, and never hinted at any of this kind of rebellion or deception. Also, she married Thomas two months after John died and since then they've never once discussed the possibility that Greg could've been Thomas' son? Like Thirteen's brother or Chase's sister, these revelations about her seem to be coming out of the blue, and it just doesn't seem believable to me. I did love the way she stood up for Greg at dinner, though, when Thomas was finding fault with him. That's what a mother would do, and that part rang true.

Edited by 090108joanna, Mar 20, 2012 @ 7:44 AM.

NYC2007

NYC2007

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 9:25 AM

See, I saw the opposite with House's mother. It made me understand him more. The faking cancer was a total House maneuver.

Loved seeing Park trip. That was very funny.

caseylane

caseylane

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 9:34 AM

See, I saw the opposite with House's mother. It made me understand him more. The faking cancer was a total House maneuver.

Yes. He learned his manipulation at his mother's knee.

Loved Wilson's "she's a slut?"

Park's hallucinations were stupid but I felt kind of squishy seeing her with a blanket being watched by House. Sue me, but I like it when he shows a modicum of caring for someone on his team.

Can Adam's leave this show quickly? I find her so annoying. What is with the women on this show needing to butt in to people's lives? I just pray we don't get dating confirmation between her and Chase. I would like to think he's learned his lesson.

Let's see, Cameron hooked up with Chase, 13 hooked up with Foreman, maybe Adams can hook up with Taub or Park. Ah no, I would rather she die in a totally stupid but quick way. Like choking on her own self-righteousness.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 9:41 AM

Because I hated it so much the other way, I feel the need to point out how great Chase's hair looks now. He really looked handsome in this episode - I think he was tanner than usual.

mcjen

mcjen

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 9:50 AM

090108joanna wrote:

As for Blythe, this ep revealed things that might make House feel she's "less boring," but they don't ring true with what we already knew about her...Like Thirteen's brother or Chase's sister, these revelations about her seem to be coming out of the blue, and it just doesn't seem believable to me.

This. For the reasons you listed. Also, while "I started reading the Princeton police blotter as soon as you moved there" may be interpreted as a (very slightly) funny line, it also translates into: "I knew you were in prison for a year and I never wrote, called or visited you. Once." Which was not the kind of mother I had thought Blythe was from her earlier appearances.

Comsimplex

Comsimplex

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 10:01 AM

How do they explain the mole similarity if Billy Connolly isn't House's dad? And yes, retconning the Mom. She was likable in this--not the type to breed an uptight sociopath. Billy Connolly looked so much like John Cleese in this episode, I had to keep blinking. With Hugh being of Scottish descent and all, Billy should've been the Dad, but, as always, they have to take a happy ending and pour green slime all over it on this show. They should bring in Max Von Sydow, who looks incredibly like a more mature Hugh, and make House's father a German--maybe when Blythe and R.Lee were stationed in Stuttgart...

090108joanna

090108joanna

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 10:52 AM

They should bring in Max Von Sydow, who looks incredibly like a more mature Hugh, and make House's father a German--maybe when Blythe and R.Lee were stationed in Stuttgart...

Max Von Sydow would be a good choice, but, if we're to believe canon, House was conceived when John was away on maneuvers off Okinawa, and Blythe was stateside. Of course, his bio dad could still be German, or a number of other ethnicities, but Scottish would've made the most sense. Whoever it is, he should at least have blue eyes and look vaguely Northern European. It would also make sense if he was bald or balding, since that's really a genetic thing and House's thinning hair would be much thinner in a man at least 20 years older.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 11:13 AM

Male baldness is transferred through the mother's genes, not the father's. His bio father can have a gorgeous head of hair, but if his maternal grandfather is bald, chances are he'll be bald too.

090108joanna

090108joanna

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 11:17 AM

Male baldness is transferred through the mother's genes, not the father's. His bio father can have a gorgeous head of hair, but if his maternal grandfather is bald, chances are he'll be bald too.

Didn't know that. Guess I was just going by the experience of my own family. I have a cousin whose mother's side of the family always had thick hair and the men of that side of the family never lost it, even in old age. His father was bald very young, though, and so was he.

NYC2007

NYC2007

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 12:40 PM

Billy Connolly looked so much like John Cleese in this episode, I had to keep blinking.

Totally! He even sounded like Cleese.

Because I hated it so much the other way, I feel the need to point out how great Chase's hair looks now.

I totally agree. He looked great for the 2 minutes he was on screen this week.

How do they explain the mole similarity if Billy Connolly isn't House's dad?

Wasn't it a birth mark? But good question. I'm sure it's leading up to something interesting. Or at least I hope so.

I thought the episode was fun. Although when Adams said it was Lupus, I needed House to tell her it's never Lupus, but he didn't. Or smack her. I would have been ok with that too.

lz1982

lz1982

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 1:48 PM

Also, while "I started reading the Princeton police blotter as soon as you moved there" may be interpreted as a (very slightly) funny line, it also translates into: "I knew you were in prison for a year and I never wrote, called or visited you. Once." Which was not the kind of mother I had thought Blythe was from her earlier appearances.

It was very strange that she hadn't even contacted Wilson about it.

I agree that it didn't make sense for Blythe to have been dropping acid in the 60s.

Continuity-wise, I was also annoyed that Chase and Adams could have a conversation about their views on disabilities, and how society sees the disabled, and somehow it never came up that Chase was almost left a paraplegic a few episodes earlier.

Edited by lz1982, Mar 20, 2012 @ 1:48 PM.

Shanna Marie

Shanna Marie

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 2:06 PM

Continuity-wise, I was also annoyed that Chase and Adams could have a conversation about their views on disabilities, and how society sees the disabled, and somehow it never came up that Chase was almost left a paraplegic a few episodes earlier.

I got the impression that although it wasn't in the script, Jesse Spencer was kind of playing it that way, with his reaction to her being like, "Seriously, you're talking like that to me?" and like he couldn't believe that she was being so dense. I don't know whether that was intended by the writer/director, just the actor remembering his character's history even if no one else did, or me reading it into the scene. I did like, "Oh, I thought you were writing a Facebook post."

Edited by Shanna Marie, Mar 20, 2012 @ 2:06 PM.

Unspoiled

Unspoiled

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 2:28 PM

I despised Park's cartoony visions, which were like no acid trip I've ever heard of, more like a child's daydreaming come to life. And this moment of failed comedy seemed so out of place to me in what could have been a dramatic episode. A blind man could permanently lose his hearing--so it's all about Adams? We might finally get a profound conversation between House and his mother over his father's treatment of his son, and instead this episode is 90% sitcom.
Why not let this man be House's dad? Because that would be a plot point that could be followed up on in future episodes, that's why. Ugh.

peggy06

peggy06

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 7:04 PM

I was looking forward to this episode mostly because Michael B. Jordan was in it - loved him in The Wire and Friday Night Lights. He didn't have much of a part, but he did a good job, I thought. Some good acting there when he got the bad word about probably losing his hearing. But the end? Sure, I'd be glad if he DIDN'T lose the hearing completely, but the cheesy way they scripted it was WAY over the top corny. What I used to call un-Houseian.

Completely meh on Blythe, Thomas Bell, and who House's dad is. That ship sailed a couple of seasons ago AFAIC. Too late to try to resurrect it for some additional drama as the show ends. Of course they couldn't allow any resolution, though. That would bring viewer satisfaction. They seem to prefer to tease a storyline, and then end it with some inartistic and inorganic Big Plot Device.

I despised Park's cartoony visions, which were like no acid trip I've ever heard of, more like a child's daydreaming come to life. And this moment of failed comedy seemed so out of place to me in what could have been a dramatic episode.

This kind of thing is the show at its worst, IMO. I hated every second of this unnecessary and silly plot. Just let them find drugs in the apartment, OK?

Edited by peggy06, Mar 20, 2012 @ 8:00 PM.

needschocolate

needschocolate

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 10:18 PM

It seems highly unlikely to me that the young bride of a gung-ho Marine in the late '50s/early 60's would've done any of the following: (1)sleep around with more than one other man while her husband was deployed on maneuvers; (2)get high; (3)protest the Vietnam War. Also, it was pretty cruel of her to let Greg believe she was ill when she wasn't. Prior episodes in which she appeared showed her to be John's loving wife, and never hinted at any of this kind of rebellion or deception.

Maybe as a child, House sensed that his mother wasn't truthful and that is why he believes that "everybody lies." Actually, this episode felt like it was written by someone who doesn't watch the show very carefully - Park's wacky LSD trip, House unzipping his pants in a restaurant (not beyond the scope of House, but the others should have reacted more especially since he was facing a window), the previously never mentioned information about Park once weghing 80+ pounds heavier, and forgetting Chases brush with disability. Plus, I wouldn't think that sugar free ice cream would taste horribly different from regular ice cream.

Also, she married Thomas two months after John died and since then they've never once discussed the possibility that Greg could've been Thomas' son?

I don't have a problem with this one because House isn't his son. I can understand her not telling her new husband "Remember back when I was cheating on my husband by sleeping with you? Well, I was sleeping with other guys too and one of them is my son's bio dad." Much simpler to let Thomas believe House is John's son.

Raphael delGado

Raphael delGado

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 6:47 AM

After Billy Connolly also turned out not to be House's dad, I wondered if he (House) was adopted. The man is a scientist, he certainly should have found a way to test his mother's DNA as well.

Edited by Raphael delGado, Mar 21, 2012 @ 6:49 AM.

Zyx

Zyx

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 12:57 PM

Finding out that House's mom was the distaff version of Taub did not make me think that she was more interesting. Rampant promiscuity didn't make Taub a more interesting character and it hasn't done anything for Blythe either. I agree that Blythe and House were similar in their use of trickery; the apple didn't fall too far from the tree where manipulation is concerned. That made her more interesting to me, not the unlikely revelation that she was a secret free-love advocate. I liked that in this episode she was a bit more than a generic mom. I think the focus has been too much on people's daddy issues on the show, ignoring the role of mothers. (Does David Shore have daddy issues?)

Wilson seemed stupid this episode. Unnnecessarily so. The possiblity should have occured to him that Blythe was faking cancer, since that is the exact same stunt her son pulled a few years ago. (It certainly occurred to me!) The writers could have salvaged my respect for his intelligence if he had said something like "Maybe she was tryng to manipulate me, but maybe she really does have cancer, and I think that you should talk to her just in case."

The logical thing for House to do is just ask his mother who his father is. However, maybe she was so into free love that she has no idea.

090108joanna

090108joanna

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 1:57 PM

maybe she was so into free love that she has no idea.

With the new look of this site, I can't find the "wrap in quotes" button, but anyway, as to the quote above, this is what seems unbelievable to me. I could definitely see Blythe having a one-time affair with one guy while John was overseas, but this is 1958-1959 we're talking about. Greg wasn't conceived during the hippie days of the late '60s, and Blythe was married to a gung-ho, career Marine. I doubt very much that she would've chosen to marry a guy like that if she'd been some kind of wild-child free-love advocate.

Edited by TWoP Nikita, Mar 21, 2012 @ 9:04 PM.
added quote tags; quote and other formatting tags work as laid out in the FAQ, please use those if you are having trouble with quick format buttons

Aunt Nette

Aunt Nette

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 24, 2012 @ 7:58 PM

I may be wrong, but I think every single patient this season has coughed up blood at some point. Are the writers playing with us?

Zyx

Zyx

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 1:48 PM

I thought the writers cheated a bit by making Girlfriend No. 1 conveniently absent. It obscured the point that the patient was going to hurt someone, no matter which choice he made.

I found the POTW a bit too nice and the ending excessively heart-warming. Not that every episode has to have a downer ending, but the patient was presented as practically perfect in every way. He seemed to have wandered into House's cyncial world by mistake, like a refugee from Little House on the Prairie land.

Doxa

Doxa

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 5:03 PM

This episode seems cartoonish. The characters were acting like House : Blyth's (out-of-character) "cancer" and her sex life and Wilson's test at the end (and calling Blyth a "slut" was pretty out of character).
I mean, compare this episode with "Daddy's Boy"...

Jade Black

Jade Black

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 6:55 PM

Ok, I just need to express my hatred of unrealistic acid trip portrayals on TV. I thought when House dropped acid many seasons ago and was staring at his hand in the shower, that was fine. This, with vivid hallucinations of people turning into rabbits, was not. Sometimes things move in trips, like lines swirl or things bend, and colors will change, but showing hallucinations so cartoonish and over-the-top just shows that the writers either a) did not research the effects of acid, or b) chose comedy over realism. Or both. Alright, rant over.

I actually choked up a bit at the end when they were telling the blind kid that he'd be deaf as well. That just seems like one of the worst things imaginable. I really felt for the character at that moment. I do love when this show portrays emotional dilemmas like that.

kat165

kat165

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 1:05 PM

House is no longer must see tv for me so I caught this ep On Demand. I agree with what's been said about the acid trip, except for that it was funny: it wasn't! This show has done dropping acid much better and much more realistically. I can think of two eps where it was well done: with that obnoxious chess player kid and once with House himself in the men's room at the hospital, when he was sitting on the floor in there & had taken it for "medicinal" purposes.

I feel sorry for Omar Epps and Jesse Spencer as I don't know why they are still on this show, or Hugh Laurie for that matter as the quality of the stories has gotten so bad. I would be embarrassed to be in them.

And the "hot chick" who's taken 13's place is even more annoying than 13. Makes me long for the days of Cameron.

I did like Wilson's "so your mother's a slut" line though. And the actor who played the patient was so likeable. Not his character, but the actor himself.

Despite all this I am sad to see House go. I really enjoyed the first several seasons.

Edited by kat165, Apr 3, 2012 @ 1:06 PM.