The Amandas: Making OCD Work

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

10 replies to this topic

peachbeserk

peachbeserk

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 3:03 AM

Can't believe that there isn't a forum yet about this weirdly fascinating show on the Style network on Monday nights about Birmingham, Alabama organizer Amanda Leblanc who runs a business where all the people who work for her (except for her male assistant) are also referred to as Amanda. They pull up carpet, put up shelves, etc. while teetering around on 4 inch heels in tight dresses. Their "briefcases" are pink tote bags for which I'm sure the original Amanda has a most defined list of supplies that they must contain.

Amanda frequently cries because people just don't seem to get her and don't realize that she has a calling and must organize. She says she discovered when she was younger that organizing things calms her down. She walks into a closet or room that the other Amandas "think" they have completed and then furrows her brow and says something like, "The boxes aren't lined up three inches from the edge or the pink blouse should go next to the fuchsia blouse and not the raspberry blouse!" She sniffles and says that she just wants them to all be the best Amandas that they can be. I cannot imagine asking an employee to refer to herself by my name. Just a tad narcissitic, don't you think?

Her jobs must pay handsomely because on most episodes she has her assistant, at least four Amandas, and two carpenters working.

She also has a storefront where all the Amandas meet prior to heading out on the project and where she sells storage items and other organizational tools. She was leaving the store one day and looked aghast at a glass container that had q-tips AND cotton balls together. She looked at the office manager and asked exasperatingly, "How can this happen? You need to fix this!"

Rhettwoods

Rhettwoods

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 7:47 PM

This would be a good show if someone other than the real Amanda was running it. She is so annoying. the minute someone says "I'm a perfectionist", I think -- have fun being perfect. I'm going somewhere and enjoy myself. I agree -- the jobs must pay plenty to be able to employ all those people, even though the jobs seem to be less than a week in duration. If those people were all making a decent wage, I'm thinking she has to charge at least $1000 a day -- that's a lot for someone to pay to have someone come in and organize a closet and a laundry room.

peachbeserk

peachbeserk

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 8:31 PM

And don't you know that unless that little boy is OCD himself, he's not going to stand in his newly color coordinated playroom and ask himself just which glass jar a particular Lego goes in. They decorated this space with his toys more than stored them. And the little guy's mother was surely an enigma. How did she go from being in the military with its strict standards to having a bedroom and closet that looked like she just threw clothes and shoes everywhere. I cringed for the little guy at the thought of the quality of his potential next father figure when his mother defended keeping some strings of fabric that she said were a dress that she wore when she wanted to "slut it up". Since she lived with her parents, who I'm sure were paying Amanda for the project, I bet their intent was to provide some structure and stability for the little guy both literally and figuratively.

JLHSmurf

JLHSmurf

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 11:13 PM

I've got a soft spot in my heart for this show because I was born and raised in Alabama and went to college a few minutes from where this show is filmed.

I doubt that this show will last. Amanda's (and the other girls)personality is not big enough for what I feel like they're trying to do with this show. The standard reality show antics just aren't working. If this show were on HGTV, they wouldn't need to add drama, and it would work.

The heels on the job site are killing me. I certainly know a lot of girls who claim to be more comfortable in heels that sneakers, but that's got to be an OSHA violation. I follow a ton of Southern home improvement blogs, and heels and dresses never show up.

The couple tonight confused me. Were they teen parents? I just have a hard time believing that a couple, living in Birmingham, Alabama wouldn't have a nursery three weeks out from the birth of their child. Perhaps they were just waiting for the remodel, but it just doesn't ring true with the people that I know, especially if they are in their twenties (like I suspect) like most of my friends.

And don't you know that unless that little boy is OCD himself, he's not going to stand in his newly color coordinated playroom and ask himself just which glass jar a particular Lego goes in.

I don't think that's what she really expects. I think that it's more about doing the job as professionally and completely as possible. She's doing what she's paid to do. They set up enough storage to hold everything (and do it in an aesthetically pleasing way) no matter how the storage is actually used when they leave.

And the little guy's mother was surely an enigma. How did she go from being in the military with its strict standards to having a bedroom and closet that looked like she just threw clothes and shoes everywhere.

Some people are drawn to the military because it forces them to have a structured and orderly life. Without it, they're kind of a mess. But, yeah. She was...interesting.

peachbeserk

peachbeserk

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 2:19 AM

Wow! Really! A couple is three weeks away from having their first baby, and they have zero baby furniture. The room designated to become the nursery is a dumping ground for all sorts of things including, inexplicably, more than one samurai sword. And the father-to-be has some juvenile spiky hairdo.

At least they made it clear at the very beginning that the mother of one of the homeowners was paying for the project. The dresser Amanda bought to be used as a changing table was pretty, but it sure seems impractical the way they had it set up with two lamps and a huge piece of artwork just inches above it.

And I really don't get using all the see through canisters and containers for cereal, rice, etc. and making baskets labeled "easy breakfasts" or whatever it said. I just don't see this couple bringing home their groceries and then spending 30 minutes dumping boxes of rice and cereal into their assigned containers. I used to think cute containers were nice too, but they are just way too much trouble to fill and clean. Some original containers, like for milk, are best suited for the storage of the item that comes in them. I bought a really cute white glass bottle with cows on it for milk storage years ago, and I found that the milk spoiled much more quickly than it did if it stayed in its original container.

There sure were some awkward moments during the dinner scene with Amanda's parents. Amanda seems miserable so much of the time with her self-imposed ridiculously high standards. I bet she sucks the joy out of a lot of gatherings. Her husband must be a saint. It was surprising that her children weren't like little robots.

I would imagine that one of the reasons Amanda is doing this show is to increase her business. It's hard for me to believe that prospective clients are going to want this crazy entourage in their homes. And how weird is it that the beauty queen didn't know how to use a dishwasher. Of course, if she had closed the door, she would have had better luck getting it started.

peachbeserk

peachbeserk

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 1:01 AM

Wow! This week's episode with the doctor and the professor just seemed so unreal. It looked as if minutes before taping, someone or several someones just pulled all sorts of random things from everywhere (I saw some pencils and an award plaque, for heaven's sake) and threw them all over the bathroom. It's hard to believe that people really live like that - especially a doctor and a professor.

I don't thnk I could feel comfortable letting strangers go through my private papers and not wonder if something might get tossed that shouldn't, plus who would want these girls reading their mail?

I wonder if Amanda takes some kind of medication for her OCD. Sometimes, make that many times, she seems to have zero facial expression and zero inflection in her voice. The editing monkeys surely shaped the promos in a way to make us think Amanda was warning Dustin that he might be on thin ice. I bet one of Dustin's most valuable functions (at least in the estimation of Amanda's husband) is that he listens to endless whining from Amanda. I thought when I saw the promo that seemed to hint about Dustin's possible departure, "Wow, I bet Amanda's husband is going to want her to get another gay right away so he doesn't have to listen to her drone on and on!"

ButterQueen

ButterQueen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 2:53 PM

I guess I am the only one watching this show. = (

While Amanda and the girls bore me, I LOVE watching for the finished product. They have designed some gorgeous closets...which I am sure cost a pretty penny. I just watched an episode where Amanda is opening another store front in New Orleans? Is there really that much of a demand in this economy for her business?

It drives me insane that the girls wear high heels and tight, short dresses while working. I think that is very inappropriate and has to lead to some pretty embarrassing sights sometimes. On the last episode, the 2 girls that were cleaning the storage area kept hitting their heads on the top of the door frame going in and out. I wanted to scream....take off your damn 5 inch heels already!!!

While Amanda is boring, if those finished designs are indeed all hers, she is very talented. I wish I had that talent.

peachbeserk

peachbeserk

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 11:34 PM

Butter Queen (love the name), I'm watching with you! What I cannot figure out is how Amanda pays all these people who work for her. The cost of rearranging these closets and rooms just cannot be enough to pay all these employees and to make it worthwhile for her contractor to travel to Atlanta and now New Orleans from Birmingham.

I want to know where a lot of the small appliances and other bulky things from the New Orleans pantry went. And really, now. A basket just for oatmeal!

I thought it was totally unrealistic how her husband came around to the wisdom of her opening a store in New Orleans. From the looks of the store in Birmingham, there is hardly any merchandise to speak of. It appears to mainly serve as an office and meeting place. As hands on as she is, I just don't see how she'll be able to supervise projects going on simultaneously in Birmingham and New Orleans.

ButterQueen

ButterQueen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 11:14 AM

peachbeserk, you explained my thoughts exactly! I looked all over the pantry for those small appliances and too wondered where they were. That is the one thing that bugs me about this show. I realize the homeowners do purge things, but I have a feeling we are not seeing where a lot of things are actually going.

I just don't see enough demand (or payment) for her to own two store fronts...which like you said, has very few items in it.

And it's clearly obvious who wears the pants in the family. Her husband tells her no to buying another store and being away from her family so much, and after just a few tears....she can buy the store in New Orleans.

I feel sorry for her children. She seems very self-involved in her work and doesn't seem to mind being away from her children.

Linky Loo

Linky Loo

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 2:01 PM

What I cannot figure out is how Amanda pays all these people who work for her. The cost of rearranging these closets and rooms just cannot be enough to pay all these employees.

I wonder if being an Amanda is a way of getting your foot in the door for an entertainment career. They've had episodes where one auditioned as a dancer and another with NeNe Leakes.

peachbeserk

peachbeserk

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 12:26 PM

I think you're right, Linkyloo. I would imagine all the girls, and especially the former beauty queen, value the exposure on television over any other aspect. Shoot, for all we know, Amanda might only have one or two employees, and these girls are just on the show. It's very hard for me to understand how the girl who has a law degree sees this job (whether we believe her that it's about her love of organizing or it's just her desire to be on television) thinks that either way, this is better than trying to pursue a career in law.

And since Amanda seems to cry just about every episode, I don't see how this makes her appealing to potential clients. I guess that in today's celebrity crazed world, people don't care about that and would rather tell their friends that their closets, garages, or whatever were done by a television "star".