Eion Bailey as August W. Booth: W's for Wayne

• Please log in to reply

300 replies to this topic

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 6:54 AM

Right now the assumption is that he was talking to Henry because his next scene was with Henry but that could be wrong. He could have been talking to Mother Superior, The reason people think Mother Blue was involved is not only because he talked to her but also when Rumplegold asked him where he found out about the dagger he replied "a little fairy told me". He might have been talking to Baelfire but then why wouldn't he have told Rumple that when his life was being threatened?

AntBee

AntBee

Channel Surfer

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 8:12 AM

Yes, Jane Espenson confirmed to a poster at TWoP after The Return that it was indeed Henry that August was talking to on the phone. Before that confirmation, I was unsure if he was talking to Blue Fairy or Baelfire.

As for how he knew all that information about the dagger, I first guessed that it was the Blue Fairy that told him especially because of the "a little fairy told me" quote. Then, later I thought her plans for preparing for the curse hitting was making sure her memory was still going to be intact, and/or having the book be made to be some kind of magic charm to help lead to breaking the curse later on. After that there was an interview where the producers confirmed again that Rumple didn't get his memory back until Emma said her name to him, which seemed hard to believe because there had to be some kind of other third party, I think, for them to get Henry to Storybrooke in order for Emma to come there on schedule, I thought it had to be her because unless it was the curse, which I guess could be possible, I didn't want to believe that the only other person that might do that, Baelfire, would actually do that to his own son knowing what his father did to him.

However, at the end of "A Land Without Magic", I don't know what to believe because it seemed like she got her memories back along with everyone else, and since she just let Regina go, which I thought was just dumb, imo, she just doesn't seem like she's some kind of chess master to rival Rumplegold. I'm still keeping an eye on her though.

Anyhow now I guess the "fairy" quote was misdirection, and it was really Baelfire or someone working for him that told August all of that information about the dagger. Although I do wonder why he didn't just reveal all that to Rumplegold either, but maybe he's more scared of Baelfire than he is of Rumple, which might lead credence to the theory that Baelfire is going to be a Big Bad later on. I don't necessarily think he will at this point, but I don't think he'll be wholly good either.

I know that a lot of you really like August but I just don't get it. I don't find him attractive at all. His stubble wasn't sexy; it's more like old farmer stubble. That too tight jacket just made him look kind of creepy. His scenes with Henry were kind of cute but I didn't get any chemistry between him and Emma. Someone mentioned once that there was a lot more chemistry between Emma and Regina than with any other character - very true.
He seemed a LOT more whiny than heroic. I hope he stays wood. I'm not a big fan of Emma's either but the daughter of Snow and Charming deserves better.

Yes, while I think he has a good sibling type of chemistry with Emma, I don't think that Emma needs a love interest right now, and I'd rather if they do have to pair her off with someone that it will be another character because it's just going to make my fear of puppets worse if they have them kissing and I'm thinking about him turning back into a puppet. Not to mention the many more August and having wood jokes or both actors being wooden jokes that would happen if Emma/August happens.

Fable

Fable

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 12:12 AM

Is this why so many speculate the Mother Superior (Blue Fairy) was involved? Because she was the only character he talked to in private - so to speak? But then why would we only see him talk to an accomplice on the phone, but not reveal the person to person when he got the info to put the plan into high gear?

I'm almost certain it was said by one of the writers that that he was talking to Henry.

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 3:47 PM

Thanks for that info. I'll stop fretting over that plot point and just enjoy the lovely vintage phone.

Camera One

Camera One

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 1:54 AM

What does everyone want with Pinocchio/August in the second season.

I'm thinking it might actually be more interesting plot-wise, if Pinocchio is still wood. It will give the characters of Gepetto and Jiminy more angst. Since they wouldn't really be able to give the character much plot anyway, it might not be worthwhile to bring the actor back without an arc, unless they plan a romance with Emma.

If Pinocchio is still wood, that would also provide a goal for some of the characters (maybe Emma) in the second season.

But if Pinocchio stays wood, and yet magic is back, then it makes the Blue Fairy seem really helpless and useless. Like, why she would even put the spell in place with the condition that he stays good.

Edited by Camera One, May 22, 2012 @ 1:55 AM.

Betsypaige1

Betsypaige1

Video Archivist

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 7:42 AM

I think Gepetto will be the one to save his son. I don't know how - perhaps by reenacting the opening scene from Pinocchio's episode? Poor guy turned to wood before the curse was broken, so I think he's still wood now. I do not think he'll stay that way; I love August's obvious love and need for his father and Gepetto needs his son as well. He will be heartbroken when he sees what's happened.

Gin and Tonic

Gin and Tonic

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 10:37 AM

Mostly I'm hoping he'll be back! His story in the finale struck me as unfinished and not an actual goodbye, so I think his return is more likely than not.

I have no desire for wood!August to continue. The whole thing hits a wrong note for me. I find that I can accept dragons and talking crickets and magic hats, but a puppet-person is just ridiculous. An entirely personal assessment of course, that has little logic to it. It might stem from the fact that if I think about it too long, it makes me shudder.

Since they wouldn't really be able to give the character much plot anyway, it might not be worthwhile to bring the actor back without an arc, unless they plan a romance with Emma.

I'm confused. They wouldn't be able to give puppet August a plot, or you don't think they'll be able to give person August a plot? I think there is plenty for him to do. He's developed a strong relationship with Emma that I'd like to see more of. They haven't really resolved his part in her abandonment, but she went right to him for help when she recognized the truth, so there's still a connection there. I also think that he can help her bridge the gap between the life she grew up with and the life she's going to have now. He grew up in our world, but unlike Emma he has memories of the Enchanted Forest. I wouldn't be surprised if she finds it easier to talk to him about it than some of the other fairy tale characters.

On top of that, he's also started a relationship with Henry. I think we've seen more August/Henry than Henry with his grandparents. I don't expect that to stay the same now that Snow White and Charming remember who they are, but I'd hate for it to be dropped. The two of them are kinda adorable.

We still haven't seen him reconnect with Geppetto. I suspect there will be some kind of fallout and/or discussion regarding Geppetto's actions in sending Pinocchio through the wardrobe. Given that Pinocchio has aged 28 years, I don't think they can keep it a secret.

There are two things that I'd really like to see. First, back in "What Happened To Fredrick," Emma was reluctant to get on August's bike. Granny said if Emma didn't, she would. I want her to realize that she was talking to Pinocchio, because I think it's hilarious.

The second thing is to see some Pinocchio/Jiminy interaction. I think it's weird that there hasn't even been a mention of their stories overlapping. Pinocchio killed the cricket in the original story, so if the show doesn't want to give them a close relationship there's a basis for it. But the Disney version is the most widely known and that's where Jiminy comes from (the umbrella, the name, Jiminy's parents as stand-ins for Honest John and Gideon, etc). For me as a viewer to have that knowledge and not seen any interaction between Pinocchio and Jiminy is somewhat perplexing.

Toughie

Toughie

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 12:42 PM

They haven't really resolved his part in her abandonment, but she went right to him for help when she recognized the truth, so there's still a connection there.

I loved how... here's this guy literally turning to wood as they speak and Emma is asking HIM for help and freaking out and needing his support.

I do think they have a good friendship and August is Emma's only sounding board. Someone she can be honest about how she feels about everyone... and how she's handling it. And when she has her doubts, she'll talk to him.

She is going to stay strong for Henry. She's going to act like she has it all together. I think she's going to be a bit stand offish with her parents, but might confide in Snow about Henry. But her feelings towards her parents? To being who she really is? Who does she have to talk to about that? August.

And his own personal story can be somewhat interesting as well. What happened to him when he ran away? Did he ever think of returning for Emma? What about his reunion with his father? I think he still has amends to make. Geppetto will be more forgiving of August than August is forgiving of himself. His father will help him heal, help him find his own redemption.

Betsypaige1

Betsypaige1

Video Archivist

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 1:08 PM

I'm confused. They wouldn't be able to give puppet August a plot, or you don't think they'll be able to give person August a plot? I think there is plenty for him to do. He's developed a strong relationship with Emma that I'd like to see more of. They haven't really resolved his part in her abandonment, but she went right to him for help when she recognized the truth, so there's still a connection there. I also think that he can help her bridge the gap between the life she grew up with and the life she's going to have now. He grew up in our world, but unlike Emma he has memories of the Enchanted Forest. I wouldn't be surprised if she finds it easier to talk to him about it than some of the other fairy tale characters.

On top of that, he's also started a relationship with Henry. I think we've seen more August/Henry than Henry with his grandparents. I don't expect that to stay the same now that Snow White and Charming remember who they are, but I'd hate for it to be dropped. The two of them are kinda adorable.

We still haven't seen him reconnect with Geppetto. I suspect there will be some kind of fallout and/or discussion regarding Geppetto's actions in sending Pinocchio through the wardrobe. Given that Pinocchio has aged 28 years, I don't think they can keep it a secret.

I see August and Emma as possible best friends or being like siblings, definitely not a romantic relationship - but that's fantastic. She needs that and so does he; lord knows they have a million things to talk about that most people can't understand.

I adore August's relationship with Henry. A few eppys back, he got on his knees to look Henry in the eye, which shows he respects him as a person and doesn't think of him just as some kid.

We did see August connect with Gepetto/Marco at the end of a recent episode; it was a beautiful scene and I hope to see more of them. Aside from Snow/Charming and Rumbelle, their reunion is the one I look forward to the most. I just sense a truly special bond between father and son (Eion was wonderful in the episode I referenced, and then there was the scene where he told Henry that he just wanted to spend whatever time left he had with his father).

And his own personal story can be somewhat interesting as well. What happened to him when he ran away? Did he ever think of returning for Emma? What about his reunion with his father? I think he still has amends to make. Geppetto will be more forgiving of August than August is forgiving of himself. His father will help him heal, help him find his own redemption.

Yes, August is carrying around a lot of guilt and pain. I don't blame him his 7 year old self,but clearly he does. Perhaps he will form a relationship with Archie/Jiminy through therapy. That said, I completely agree with your last comments - I really love their relationship; I sense a great deal of warmth there.

Gin and Tonic

Gin and Tonic

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 2:15 PM

We did see August connect with Gepetto/Marco at the end of a recent episode

When I said we hadn't seen August connect with Geppetto, I meant the Geppetto with his memories intact. The scene with August and Marco, while lovely, was only half a reunion.

But her feelings towards her parents? To being who she really is? Who does she have to talk to about that? August.

I agree and think this actually works both ways. August obviously doesn't have the shock of discovering he has a family that loves him and fairy tales are real, but it's still gotta be awkward to try to reconnect with a loved one whom you haven't seen for nearly 30 years. He and Emma will both be adults dealing with parents whose last memory of them was as children. And while he's not "the savior," he can talk to Emma about the weirdness of being Pinocchio. If he tried to tell anyone who he really was when he was kid, he would've been called crazy. I think they'd both have a foot in the two worlds in a way the others wouldn't.

Assuming he's not dead, of course.

A few eppys back, he got on his knees to look Henry in the eye, which shows he respects him as a person and doesn't think of him just as some kid.

I like that moment, but I think my favorite is from "The Return." The camera is panning across the room at Mary Margaret's welcome home party and you can see that August is reading the card Henry and the class made. It was just in the background, but I like to think it shows August being interested in what Henry is up to.

Betsypaige1

Betsypaige1

Video Archivist

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 5:22 PM

I like that moment, but I think my favorite is from "The Return." The camera is panning across the room at Mary Margaret's welcome home party and you can see that August is reading the card Henry and the class made. It was just in the background, but I like to think it shows August being interested in what Henry is up to

I have to watch that again -hopefully there will be a clip of it somewhere.

August/Pinocchio, IMO, is just a good guy. He's not perfect, but who is? I want to see a lot more of him.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 7:30 PM

What does everyone want with Pinocchio/August in the second season.

Truth be told, I wish August could continue to play a surrogate father figure for Henry because I find something fascinating in Pinocchio learning to be a father at the same time he's trying to be a good son.

I adore August's relationship with Henry. A few eppys back, he got on his knees to look Henry in the eye, which shows he respects him as a person and doesn't think of him just as some kid.

Personally, I think the characters of August and Henry have a lot in common being the adoptive sons of single parents, both a little bit mischievous, both a little bit of a liar, both true believers in magic. I think that was barely explored while they were trying to break the curse.

Edited by agora, Jun 10, 2012 @ 7:34 PM.

stealinghome

stealinghome

Stalker

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 7:46 PM

I would add that regardless of whether they turn the relationship romantic or not, I want to see Emma have some serious anger directed toward Pinocchio/Gepetto, and have to work through it in a productive way. At the same time as Pinocchio deals with Emma (and Snow and Charming's) anger, I'd like to see him actually show some growth and do something to prove that he's stopped running away from his responsibilities. It would make for some nice parallel character arcs.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 10:39 PM

I don't know, I've never really liked the "it's all Pinocchio's fault" angle to deal with Emma's abandonment issues because I think it's a cop-out for Emma's righteous indignation at her own parents.

If it turns out August was supposed to be with Emma, then, technically, it was August who abandoned her, not Snow White & Prince Charming. It's like the lyrics of an old Goo Goo Dolls song: Now they're grown up orphans that never knew their names. Their issues begin and end with one another.

Edited by agora, Jun 10, 2012 @ 10:45 PM.

Dani-Ellie

Dani-Ellie

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 7:03 AM

I think it'll be interesting to see whether Emma makes the distinction between Pinocchio the child and August the man. A little boy who, in terms of life experience, was not that much older than Emma herself could in no way have taken care of her to the extent that she would have needed. He would have had to make sure that she was not only taken care of, physically, but also that the fairy tale stuff was nurtured in her. His own faith probably would have been shaken on a daily basis simply because he was growing up in a world where fairy tales are make-believe.

August the young man may not have been able to restore a preteen Emma's faith in fairy tales (she was probably too hardened by the system by that point) but he could have tried to track her down and do something to help her.

Which is a really long-winded way of saying I think it'd be interesting if Emma understands why he left her but is pissed that he never came back for her.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 10:33 AM

I don't know, I've never really liked the "it's all Pinocchio's fault" angle to deal with Emma's abandonment issues because I think it's a cop-out for Emma's righteous indignation at her own parents.

If it turns out August was supposed to be with Emma, then, technically, it was August who abandoned her, not Snow White & Prince Charming. It's like the lyrics of an old Goo Goo Dolls song: Now they're grown up orphans that never knew their names. Their issues begin and end with one another.

I think it'll be interesting to see whether Emma makes the distinction between Pinocchio the child and August the man. A little boy who, in terms of life experience, was not that much older than Emma herself could in no way have taken care of her to the extent that she would have needed. He would have had to make sure that she was not only taken care of, physically, but also that the fairy tale stuff was nurtured in her. His own faith probably would have been shaken on a daily basis simply because he was growing up in a world where fairy tales are make-believe.

I think that's part of their issues: on one hand, August the man is there for Henry in a way August the child was never there for Emma, on the other hand, August the man is only now capable to play a responsible father figure in a way August the child was never able to. I mean, can you picture Pinocchio being responsible for anybody else when he was still a child?

Maybe he couldn't deal with being an orphan again after Geppeto (much like Emma couldn't deal with the system), maybe he couldn't deal with the loss of his home, maybe August just couldn't impose to Emma the same responsibility that was imposed to him (to be someone else's savior). All Emma knows is that he belonged with her, even if she was way too young to remember him.

August the young man may not have been able to restore a preteen Emma's faith in fairy tales (she was probably too hardened by the system by that point) but he could have tried to track her down and do something to help her.

Which is a really long-winded way of saying I think it'd be interesting if Emma understands why he left her but is pissed that he never came back for her.

I do wish to see both characters deal with this, if only because ultimately August came back for her, but he was too late to restore her faith, not only in fairytales, but on mankind as a whole. If Pinocchio would've been around, maybe Emma would've never been involved with the wrong people, got pregnant at age 18 or even Henry's father might not have been the same man.

As misplaced as I believe her abandonment issues may be on Pinocchio, I believe Emma the woman also has unresolved issues with August the man.

Edited by agora, Jun 11, 2012 @ 10:44 AM.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2012 @ 11:36 PM

Lately I've been wondering about Henry's book and who wrote it.. and if it was Augustocchio, since he was able to repair the pages of the book. That didn't seem to fit.. as how would a little boy remember/know all of those stories, but I had no other clues to say he wasn't the author, so, I was very interested to read in a recent interview that we should NOT presume that August/Pinocchio was the author of the book.
Interview

Should we assume that August wrote the book because he repaired the pages?

Kitsis: I would not assume that.

So.. if not Augustocchio.. who? And how did Augustocchio find out about it/learn the skills necessary to repair it?

Hick

Hick

Fanatic

Posted Oct 13, 2012 @ 8:04 AM

Do you think August could have left Storybrooke without loosing any memories? He didn't have any fake ones, after all.

quoink

quoink

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 13, 2012 @ 8:28 AM

I think August being the only one currently able to cross the border (since Emma is gone and Henry's a kid) will definitely be used in someway. Maybe Rumpel will ask him to find Bae now that he can't - he could say it will make them even for the whole trying-to-control-you-with-the-dagger incident.

Toughie

Toughie

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 13, 2012 @ 8:32 AM

August, Emma, and Henry can all leave Storybrooke without losing their memories because they were never under the curse.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2012 @ 5:41 PM

I don't think August would forget anything but I have wondered if the barrier of Storybrooke is the barrier of "the magic" Can a giant puppet man remain animate without magic?

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Oct 20, 2012 @ 11:54 AM

I have a funny feeling August has returned to his pre-'real' boy animated WOODEN puppet state. He did not die, but he's no longer a 'real' boy because he was naughty and did not remain 'Brave, selfless, & true.'

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Oct 23, 2012 @ 11:42 AM

On a completely random note, I forever wish that the title for this thread would be 'The W Stands for Honesty'. From Whose Line is it Anyways. Just thought it would be a hilarious thread title for August.

I miss August. Mostly because I'm just really curious about his state. I have no doubt that he's alive somewhere, but is he still wooden or is he now back to normal? Then that stems off two different questions: if he's still wooden, how will they break the curse? And if he's back to normal, where is he? And is it possible that if he is wooden, pushing him over the state line will do the trick? I mean, maybe, I'm not sure. Obviously before the curse was broken, he was turned into wood. But I wonder if it could potentially do the trick. Or maybe I'm just overthinking it and Blue just needs to revert the magic cause I feel like there is more to August than what we already know.

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 6:27 PM

Jessied 112 Actually I've been thinking that this thread needs a new title. Not sure what but it should reflect his pinnocioness.

quoink

quoink

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 29, 2012 @ 7:01 AM

And is it possible that if he is wooden, pushing him over the state line will do the trick? I mean, maybe, I'm not sure.

I was actually thinking about this the other day. I think it would kill him. 1) He needs magic to live. I suspect that the curse-break didn't reanimate August, but Rumpels bringing magic back into Storybrooke brought him back. If he stepped over the line, the magic would leave him and he'd just be a wooden puppet. 2) It would be a way to keep August trapped in Storybrooke barring the "memory curse"; it was speculated for a while that August, Henry, Emma, and Regina would be the only ones not affected by the memory-wipe, so in order to narrow it down, I think the writers would use the "magic barrier" loophole to keep August trapped.

But, if that's the case, then where in the world is he? I suppose he could've left town and the barrier didn't kill him. Or maybe he's in hiding somewhere out of shame? Because I can imagine running into people and explaining *why* you turned back into wood wouldn't exactly be fun. "Oh, I lied a lot. Was a coward. Was totally self-serving, you know, the usual." Or maybe he's been kidnapped (puppetnapped)? The only thing missing from his room when Geppetto went to find him was his jacket. His other belongings were still there. So wherever he was going, maybe he wasn't planning on being gone for long?

Edited by quoink, Oct 29, 2012 @ 7:02 AM.

brisbydog

brisbydog

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 29, 2012 @ 9:18 AM

I spend way too much time thinking about this and I am really leaning towards Bae being one of the 'older boys' who lured August away from Emma back in the foster home. Pretty sure Rumpel would have made sure that they landed in our world at the same timeframe as Bae, and that would explain August knowing about the sword, as well as who is outside 'accomplice' is. I'm assuming the guy in NY is Bae and that August sent the post card. Also think he is still wood and will be until Emma forgives him/touches him which is why we have not seen him, he will be hiding becuase he won't want Gepetto to see him like that

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Oct 29, 2012 @ 11:58 AM

Well, I don't know. He managed to survive and keep living as a human in the real world, despite the fact that there's no magic there so it's possible that he can actually leave. It depends if the rules still apply to him or not, though. Would he be affected by being pushed over the state line or because he wasn't a part of the curse, nothing would happen?

I'd love for August and Bae to have travelled together. I think it would be hilarious and it would keep Bae interlooped in the story and, more importantly, give August something to do.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Oct 29, 2012 @ 1:33 PM

I spend way too much time thinking about this and I am really leaning towards Bae being one of the 'older boys' who lured August away from Emma back in the foster home.

I hadn't thought of that.. it could make things interesting. Maybe Bae was in the foster home AND is the Mystery Man in New York?

Mars477

Mars477

Fanatic

Posted Oct 29, 2012 @ 3:13 PM

I hope that one item high up on Emma's list of priorities for when she gets back is to check on August. After all, she saw him turn to wood before her eyes, and she seemed pretty upset about it at the time. Poor guy. Everyone's forgotten about him.

MsNewsradio

MsNewsradio

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 29, 2012 @ 9:27 PM

It actively bugs me that everyone has seemingly forgotten about August. Actually, not everyone, since most didn't know who he really was...but Henry (since Emma isn't on the scene). Aside from the one scene where he told Gepetto where to find him, he hasn't mentioned him or been concerned he hasn't seen him at all? Gepetto didn't mention to him that he's not in his room, and hasn't been back? Considering how close he and August got last season it just rings false to me. I'd be happy with even a throwaway line amidst all the sword play and stable grooming time he's putting in with Charming these days.

Just seems like he's been thrown over for the new crop of characters, which is a shame. I think there's still a lot to mine from his character and his relationships with Henry, Emma, and Gepetto. Just hoping he gets that chance at some point soon.