Eion Bailey as August W. Booth: W's for Wayne

• Please log in to reply

300 replies to this topic

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:57 PM

There's really only 2 things I don't want August to be. Pinocchio and Emma's love interest. I just feel zero real chemistry between them. He's next in my death pool actually. I'm hoping he serves his purpose for the rest of the season and then either disappears as mysteriously as he came or sacrifices himself in some way. I may have been able to like him cast as a different actor but Eion Bailey is kinda permanently on my "You annoy me!" list.

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:59 PM

Another theory I forgot in my list: August is Peter Pan

Gin and Tonic

Gin and Tonic

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 6:42 PM

I'm glad that other people like August as much as I do!

jillypups, here's that moment in .gif form. I will neither confirm nor deny that I spent in inordinate amount of time staring at it.

I'm hoping he serves his purpose for the rest of the season and then either disappears as mysteriously as he came or sacrifices himself in some way.

Obviously as an August fan, I don't want that to happen! I also fear the male lead opposite of Emma becoming a revolving door of characters. I think there's always going to be someone: Graham, August, perhaps Henry's father at some point, and who knows who else. I'd like to have a bit of time with August after resolving all the questions about him before having to learn to love another character.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 7:32 PM

I hope the revolving door doesn't revolve too much (August or someone else).. with the trials & turmoil coming up Emma will need some support.

metaphysicist

metaphysicist

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 9:14 PM

The biggest problem for Regina, et. al. should misfortune strike August, is that he has a life outside of Storybrooke. Should he die or disappear, this could open the door to other people or authorities coming to Storybrooke, which is not good for the Curse.

Edited by metaphysicist, Apr 13, 2012 @ 9:14 PM.

Samiwell

Samiwell

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:25 PM

The biggest problem for Regina, et. al. should misfortune strike August, is that he has a life outside of Storybrooke.

Actually, we don't know for a fact that August came from "outside." He could've been in Storybrooke the whole time, in hiding or in a quiescent state of some kind, until Emma arrived. Because all the stories had been suspended, there was nothing to add to the tales, until then.

One minute, Emma and Henry are leaning against her cruiser and talking, the next minute the Stranger is roaring down the street on his bike. He could've just come from across town. Where was he when he was working on Henry's book, with all that archaic equipment? It sure wasn't his room at Granny's B&B.

I'm not saying he didn't come from Kansas or *elsewhere*, just that we can't know for sure if he did or not. IIRC, Eddie Kitsis said that August didn't change any stories in Henry's book, he just added his own. That's the story I want Emma to hurry up and read!

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:51 PM

Samiwell, I had wondered that about August as well.. if perhaps he has just been.. elsewhere (on the fringes of Storybrooke, but still within the 'realm'.) Up until Emma literally ran into Jefferson, he'd never been seen in town at Granny's diner or anything. I have also wondered about the garage/workshop in which he worked on the book.. for some reason I think about the boarded up public library.. I don't know why, but the clock tower is part of the library.. books.. libraries.. maybe..

I have also wondered how they did not notice the added pages. One would think Henry would know that book forward & backward and realize there was a new story. Unless of course, the new pages were 'enchanted' via use of water from the well.

Edited by MorninStar, Apr 13, 2012 @ 11:14 PM.

Samiwell

Samiwell

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 11:06 PM

for some reason I think about the boarded up public library..

oh, I like that! I've been very curious about the library from the beginning, but didn't connect it at all to August's workshop. It would be ideal in more ways than one!

Jefferson told Emma that he was trapped in his house until she arrived (one wonders how he got food? why wasn't everyone similarly trapped?); but anyway, something like that could also have been the case with August.

Miss Muffet

Miss Muffet

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 11:50 PM

The Oz/Grimm/Writer theories have the advantage of implying a much larger mythology.

Agreed. oldandnewfirmThinking back about what the creators said about someone on forums having it right, this seems to be the most plausible theory aside of my fave, Baelfire! They are throwing out red herrings everywhere! We need to look at the basics, like August said, possibly go back to your initial feeling and dissect it from there. Like Emma went back to the crime scene, we need to go back to August's initial arrival in Storybrooke. What was said and what was implied and differentiate.

Here is the scene where August gives Emma insight to seeing through fresh eyes.
August and Emma...writer's block

Now if we go back to August's beginnings...

Phee

Phee

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 4:56 AM

Gin and Tonic, your post rocks! Though I kinda care about who he turns out to be, because I've gotten pathetically invested in this Pinocchio business, but I like to think I'll get over it if he's someone else and it won't diminish my love of the character. All of the points you outlined about the character's moments are spot on. And yes, I got "all the squeees" too. *sigh*

But the "Carry On My Wayward Son" theory could also point to him being Bae.

True, though overall I'm of the opinion that the Bae argument is kinda flimsy and see far more evidence and potential for Pinocchio. But either way, he would be someone's wayward son.

I have also wondered about the garage/workshop in which he worked on the book.. for some reason I think about the boarded up public library.. I don't know why, but the clock tower is part of the library.. books.. libraries.. maybe..

It would certainly make sense that a library would be equipped with the things needed to mend books.

Corydora

Corydora

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 5:41 PM

I still want him to be Henry grown up and come back. There hasn't been any romance or kissy poo between them but he talks to her like he has known her a long long time. Like he knows her well, in fact he said something about "I know you and you won't do..." something. He looks at her with affection. He said "I would never lie to YOU." Sometimes you don't see what is right in front of you. And Regina says he looks familiar. And he knows all about the book. If he can't be Baelfire, I want him to be a grown up time traveled Henry.

Edited by Corydora, Apr 18, 2012 @ 5:42 PM.

Miss Muffet

Miss Muffet

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 9:57 PM

Emma is already the same age as her own Mother, so by making Henry even older (as August) stirs the pot a little too much and sours the soup, so to speak. Although I agree that they have not made them romantic at this point, which keeps his identity open to many possibilities.

I still am leaning toward Oz or Baelfire, but dead against Pinocchio.

aml77

aml77

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 5:12 PM

Emma is already the same age as her own Mother, so by making Henry even older (as August) stirs the pot a little too much and sours the soup, so to speak. Although I agree that they have not made them romantic at this point, which keeps his identity open to many possibilities.

August-as-Henry isn't one of them, however, as the producers affirmed during the Paley Festival panel.

Lyst83

Lyst83

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 12:43 AM

The mysterious August W. Booth has been driving me crazy since the day he appeared in Storybrooke! Brace yourselves, people, I have a lot to say about this guy!

Due to the fact that he never showed any interest in Mr. Gold/Rumple and we didn't know what had become of Rumple's son in the fairytale realm until tonight, it really never crossed my mind that he could be Bae and now we know that he maybe definitely isn't. So after that brief moment of thinking he could be, I went back to the theory that he is Henry's father. I've had that one ever since he first showed up, but why wouldn't Emma recognize him? I forget what she said about Henry's father - not all that fluffy stuff she was telling Henry, but what she really said about him. Did she know him at all or was it a one night stand that she barely remembers? Because he is awfully focused on Emma and Henry, Emma specifically.

Now this Pinocchio theory has developed, and I am thinking that is fairly off base as well. Assuming Pinocchio had not found an alternate way to escape the fairytale realm (which seems to have been possible by more than just that magic tree that Snow & Charming were told about) then he would have resurfaced in Storybrooke as a boy and not a fully grown man. In order to be Pinocchio, he had to have escaped the realm prior to the curse and not after, because as we know Henry is the only one who could come and go as he pleased and prior to Emma coming along outsiders could not enter. He could not have left Storybrooke as a boy, grown up, and returned, so as far as I am concerned that makes it somewhat impossible for him to be Pinocchio at this point in time. It looks as though we learn about Pinocchio's story next week, so we'll see if the little wooden boy managed to escape the realm prior to the curse or not. If not, then he is definitely NOT Pinocchio.

So that brings me back to WHO IS HE?!

If he is a story book character at all, it seems strange to me that Regina didn't know him. While others may not be aware of each other in Storybrooke (such as Jefferson, David, Kathryn, Belle locked away in the basement) Regina is certainly aware of everyone. As we know from the aforementioned characters, it is entirely possible for someone to live on the fringe of Storybrooke without being known to anyone else, so it could have been that he isn't an outsider and he was in some suspended state of being somewhere in the woods until Emma's arrival.

He is by far the most interesting character to me at this point. He could be anyone and for being an outsider he knows an AWFUL lot about an awful lot. To name a few:

• He knows about the book, has read the book, fixed the book, and added extra pages to the book.
  • He knows not only about the curse but that Emma is the key to breaking it.
  • He knew the words to say while holding the dagger and he knew the dagger had powers, and who to use the dagger against.

I am thinking that maybe he really is Bae and that a lot of time has passed and a lot of life has been lived since Rumple last saw his morally correct son. He might have changed. He might be more like his father than either of them expected him to be. Or perhaps he isn't Bae and is instead getting information and help from Bae. I've seen it speculated that maybe Bae is the kid who found Emma on the side of the road, but I doubt that very much, because that boy was 7 and at the time Bae escaped the fairytale realm he was near 10 or 11 wasn't he? Maybe he is Henry's father and he was supposed to create life with Emma? GAH! At this point the possibilities are endless and they are making me insane!

Edited by Lyst83, Apr 23, 2012 @ 12:44 AM.

goldberry71

goldberry71

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 11:02 AM

I really liked the urgency we saw in August in last night's episode. He doesn't have time for gentle prodding and direction and wordgames with Emma anymore. In fact, he isn't even bothering to call her Emma anymore (when he talks to Gold), he just refers to her by role/what she can do for him lately (the savior). He needed to get this train moving...so he calls Henry. I loved that.

I also enjoyed his "reunion with his father/not father." Well played August, you fooled Gold...until you tried to use the dagger. Silly rabbit, considering that you have been documenting everything and know what is going on more than your average bear, how did you not know that the dark magic involved with the knife wouldn't work?

How do you even know about the knife anyway???? This question is really nagging at me. Rumple has gone to obvious lengths to keep the power of the knife secret (goodbye mute maid), so how does Pinocchio, excuse me, August, know about it? If anyone has theories, I'd love to hear them as you all are so good!

I kind of like August more now that I know he has a self-serving need for Emma to realize who she is and fulfil her destiny. Maybe the cynic in me just doesn't trust people that seem to be acting in other's interest. Knowing that he is personally and deeply invested (as in I'm going to turn back to wood if I don't get me some magic) in breaking (or fulfilling, depending on how you view it/Rumple) the curse. I am now not just intrigued, but excited by August and Eion.

Sakura12

Sakura12

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 1:28 PM

Now I'm on the theory that August is Peter Pan (who was already from the real world) and from a different land than the Enchanted Forest so Regina wouldn't know him but he'd know about the fairy tale characters being real. And I can see grown up Peter Pan being an writer of fairy tales. Maybe he went to the nuns looking for Tinkerbell?

And I think it would be funny if Peter thinks he's dying because he's getting old, not actually dying.

Then he and Emma can bond over being abandoned/replaced as babies and left to grow up on their own in a world that wasn't their own.

Edited by Sakura12, Apr 23, 2012 @ 1:39 PM.

Helena Dax

Helena Dax

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 5:59 PM

I'm not 100% sure that August is Pinocchio, but now at least I can see why Pinocchio would be a writer in Storybrooke: telling lies is like telling stories and books come from trees, as wood does. On the other hand, Regina and Gold don't know who he is and that makes me think that he isn't from Fairytale land.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 7:50 PM

Nothing so far has convinced me August is anything other than Rumpelstinskin's son, not matter how hard they've tried.

The story is way too obvious for him to be any other one, in my opinion.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 8:15 PM

So you think that whole scene in the woods was some kind of fake out? August was purposefully trying to convince Gold he was faking being his son but he really is his son and doesn't want Gold to know it?

Gin and Tonic

Gin and Tonic

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 9:17 PM

Someone else thought the scene in the woods might be a double fake-out of some kind and asked Jane Espenson (the writer). She tweeted that August isn't Baelfire.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 9:34 PM

For some reason, the scene in the woods where August turns the knife on Gold and tells him to 'reveal himself' reminds me of a little boy.. not how an adult would handle the situation. I don't know if that matters, but it really stood out, in my opinion. He also looked sheepish when lying to Gold.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 9:53 PM

Me too, it was like watching a little boy trying to lie to his own father. I'm sure a double fake-out was involved, especially since these are the same writers from Lost.

Camera One

Camera One

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 10:02 PM

I wouldn't have minded a double fake-out, but I guess the writer would know. Too bad. I hope it's not Pinocchio if only because I would rather be surprised and there has been so much of that talk around.

metaphysicist

metaphysicist

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 2:47 AM

So you think that whole scene in the woods was some kind of fake out? August was purposefully trying to convince Gold he was faking being his son but he really is his son and doesn't want Gold to know it?

Considering how closely booth came to be gutted by Gold, if he were really Baelfie, he sholuld have spoken up.

Miss Muffet

Miss Muffet

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 7:00 PM

Okay guys, I gotta vent... this is eating me up inside...

I canít help this nagging feeling that we are missing something here. I will not believe in August being Pinocchio, I just canít! I am also taking what the writers said to heart. They stated on March 4th at the Paleyfest that someone had it right and that he wasnít grown up Henry, which I never suspected anyway and now we find out that he isnít my beloved Baelfire ;(. Jane Espenson also stated that they purposely give false clues, so it will be a surprise when it is revealed. She was referencing Pinocchio. She mentioned someoneís idea of Malificent was fascinating. With the colors he wears (same as her) they both have blue eyes and his bike could represent her black Unicorn, I still donít know.

So this lead me to google all day trying to see what others speculated previous to the Paleyfest. I have also been dreaming of August practically every night since Sunday, Yes, I am obsessed with finding out his character! One dream gave me the idea of him being a fairy because I kept remembering what he said to Gold when asked about the knowledge of the dagger (a little fairy). He didnít specify what fairy. I thought that since his primary goal seems to want to make Emma believe, through convincing her of magic (the well, the book, have faith) it makes sense. I figured he might be her fairy godfather (like a muse). Who knows?

He does wear a charm that could be a horn or a talon, and his other charm is hard to make out, some say itís a Celtic cross, but it reminded me of a phoenix. So, I started thinking he could be a phoenix, rose from the ashes of something. But, then I never read anyone else speculating that, so I guess I will scratch that off my list.

So that pretty much leaves the Writer/unreliable narrator theory, the Wizard of Oz theories and, of course the boy who found Emma. While I believe itís possible for any of those, the writers did say we will find out who wrote the book in season 2. Someone also mentioned the Tree of Life, and then there is Jack with the Beanstalk, and some others that I cannot figure or remember right now.

How does he know these details of Rumple (I donít think his Dark One origin is in the book)? Why does he want magic and desperate to make Emma believe? Why is he dying? Why did he fuck with poor vulnerable Gold? How come he thinks he looks like Baelfire? Does the donkey paperweight really matter? Why lemurs (lemurs) in Napal? Does he wash the same black clothes off his back everyday? Why is he a pseudonym wrapped in an enigma wrapped in stubble? Why is he so cute with Henry? Whatís with the kerchief and the charms? Why do I dream about fairies, Pandora and Merlin whilst thinking of him? Any help would be appreciated so I can reduce my stress over this!

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 7:27 PM

Miss Muffet, for what it's worth this is driving me crazy too.. maybe not as much as it is bothering you.. but still.. a lot.

I think that they have been giving way too many obvious hints that August is Pinocchio, a red herring and exactly why I'd say he's not Pinocchio. I suspect he's someone from Oz, possibly the tin woodman, but *shrug* I have nothing hard and fast. I do think there is some 'unreliable narrator' action going on as a nod to Wayne Booth.. along with the Nurse Ratched/Chief/One Flew Over the Cookoo's nest reference.

I'd also say that for those who felt no chemistry between Booth & Emma, I think that has been intentional. August has his own agenda and although he may be in Storybrooke on Emma's behalf, to make her believe, I don't think romance is part of his purpose.

Miss Muffet

Miss Muffet

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 7:43 PM

I'd also say that for those who felt no chemistry between Booth & Emma, I think that has been intentional. August has his own agenda and although he may be in Storybrooke on Emma's behalf, to make her believe, I don't think romance is part of his purpose.

That's the way I have looked at it too. Thanks for reading my rant MorninStar. Only three more restless nights until the definitive reveal, hopefully. If not, I am going to be completely disgusted with the writers.

Gin and Tonic

Gin and Tonic

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:31 PM

Why is he so cute with Henry?

For my own personal amusement? Ok, that seems unlikely but I did love their interaction this episode. As long as I ignore the fact that August sent Henry into the path of a murderer, that is. I don't think the writers intended for us to take it that seriously, so I'll just ignore it and focus on smiles like these. Or the fact that August read Henry's card at the party. Or the little pat August gave him when Henry left.

Honestly, they were just too sweet.

aml77

aml77

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 10:11 PM

As much as I dislike the idea of August being Pinocchio, there are way too many entities - SpoilerTV, E!, EW and the like - supporting the theory that would have conceivably received a screener copy of Sunday's episode. Jane Espenson and the producers can still try to obfuscate all they want, but if the trade media have already seen it, they can't shove the cat back into the bag.

Miss Muffet

Miss Muffet

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 7:34 AM

Actually all they have said just implies that, like he's got wood. I think it's just one big conspiracy to boost ratings! ;)