Eion Bailey as August W. Booth: W's for Wayne

• Please log in to reply

300 replies to this topic

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 1:07 AM

He's no longer a Stranger.. just a bit strange perhaps.
A man of mystery riding a mechanical black steed with Kansas plates who claims to be a writer. But seriously, who uses an ancient typewriter to write these days? And what's his deal with 'The book' anyway?

Stop by the watering hole for a drink and perhaps we'll find something we've lost...

OK.. Mr. August 'W is for Wayne' Booth. What's up with him? Has he been to Storybrooke? Does he have an Enchanted lands counterpart? Why did Regina believe he looked familiar? What's he doing with Henry's book? Is he the one who placed the book in Storybrooke in the first place? Did he write it?

I have been pondering the name and I believe it has something to do with literary critic and professor Wayne C. Booth. He has written several books that are fairly well known in literary criticism classes.. notably 'The Rhetoric of Fiction'. This work discusses the voice of the author.. the implied author and the unreliable narrator, among other things. SO.. is the name just a 'nod' to a literary critic in conjunction with August being a writer & his interest with Henry's book, or is it something more?

The name 'August' can mean 'Grand, lofty venerated... majestic, royal.' Hmmm.

A couple of interesting links: Seriable; August Wayne Booth mystery solved?

and wikipedia article on unreliable narrator

Interestingly, Chief Bromden, who is the narrator in the book 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest', was an 'unreliable narrator' leaving the reader wondering how reliable his point of view is (due to his schizophrenia). Considering we had a 'nod' to Cuckoo's Nest and Chief Bromden in the episode, 'Skin Deep' it makes me wonder where they are going with this.

Thoughts? Theories?

Edited by MorninStar, Feb 23, 2012 @ 2:29 AM.

fresiaa

fresiaa

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 8:04 AM

Writer/narrator seems a perfect exlpanation.

I just wanted to say that "August" means "Clown" in German.

Edited by fresiaa, Feb 23, 2012 @ 8:04 AM.

Tableau

Tableau

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 9:03 AM

Writer and narrator seem like two different things to me. I had always pinned Henry at the narrator.

goldberry71

goldberry71

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 11:34 AM

MorninStar, thank you for starting this thread! I have to admit I kind of hated you in the friendliest way possible when you posted the Wayne Booth information in the “What Happened to Fredrick” thread. :)

It kind of John Locke’d with my head. With Lost I think we analyzed to everything to death (including Locke’s philosophy) not just out of interest but because we felt we had to – the writers were pointing us in that direction and we desperately wanted to understand where everyone and everything was going. And although I was one of the seeming few who was ok with the resolution of the flash sideways story, the more I “sat with” the series as a whole, the more bothered I became with the writers for sending us on those wild goose chases – looking for answers and significance that amounted to nothing because in the end a lot was left unconfirmed and unexplained. The August W. Booth / Wayne Booth connection makes me afraid that this will be another wild goose chase.

However, your link about the unreliable narrator gives me more confidence that this name choice is a conscious one that we should pay attention to. If they are indeed pulling from Booth, I think it does give us some clues to August’s role. Not that I like it. An unreliable narrator. Changing the book? Fiddling with what we see of the story book/fairy tale world from this point onwards? Creating confusion for Henry that delays his and Emma’s role in ending the curse to end all curses? I think I’d like it better if August were simply the author of Henry’s book and not a narrator. But I doubt that is the case.

Or maybe the name is just a wink and a nod from the show’s writers. Particularly as you read the bit about the "Types of Literary Interest that are available for technical manipulation in fiction." They writers know their audience – we look for easter eggs, motives, and implied meaning from our authors. Their choices and direction influence our interest in the characters and who we root for. They know how their “literary text” is shaping their reader/viewer…and they ain’t afraid to use it and I fear abuse it.

At any rate, I'm intrigued by the character of August W. Booth.

ImNotLeesa

ImNotLeesa

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 12:57 PM

I find him very boring and unintriguing, so far. He seems all surface, with nothing interesting to draw me in.

There was a car commercial on the other day, where a sufficiently manly man, with leather jacket and scruff, was behind the wheel of some shiny black car, passing cars and motorcycles on a windy car commercial road on his way to do manly things, and I thought...that guy reminds me of the Stranger from OUaT. Car guy didn't have a word of dialog, or any characterization, he just had to look good and manly while driving some manly motor vehicle...nothing more, nothing less. And that was fine for 20-30 seconds during a commercial, but to make a character/actor interesting on a show, I need more than "looks manly" with leather jacket and scruff....and IMO we haven't gotten anything more from The Stranger yet.

As such, I haven't really developed any interest in his point of view, or what he's doing in Storeybrooke. I just want him to do it and be done with it and go off and bore someone else.

blue green

blue green

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 1:09 PM

I don't find him boring at all. A little high-handed, pompous, and controlling, yes - but that's kind of fitting with him as a narrator figure, since the narrator seeks to guide the viewer's experience and certainly does have a high degree of control.

There is after all this mysterious book, and some as-yet-to-be-explained fictional versus real world boundary mechanics, so I find myself intrigued with what light this guy may be able to shine upon these things.

I don't really expect from him a fleshed out character, as he seems more of a personification of something than an actual person.

Oh - and he makes Regina nervous, I like that too.

Edited by blue green, Feb 23, 2012 @ 1:10 PM.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 4:12 PM

goldberry, I was a LOST fan too.. so I under stand that 'John Locke'd feeling. I call it 'wugga-wugga brain'. Sorry for bringing it back. :/

I do not claim to 'know' where the writers are going with this. Are they just using it, as goldberry said, as a wild goose chase.. a nod or 'shout out'? Is it something more? No matter I suppose.. we will have to see how things play out.

If I properly understand some of Booth's teachings.. take 'The Lord of the Rings' as and example; Tolkien is the author, but the way he wrote the book, he tells us, the readers, that the story is actually the Redbook of Westmarch written by Bilbo & Frodo Baggins and that Tolkien found this old dusty manuscript tucked away. Bilbo & Frodo would be the 'implied authors' (because we know Bilbo & Frodo didn't really write it ... right? right??) Anyway.. there are lots of stories written with unreliable narrators. The narrator of the story (not the author) may be young, or biased or mentally ill, etc..and so their viewpoint of events is in question. The movie 'Amadeus' was written with this unreliable narrator in mind, so too Citizen Kane, Fight Club, A Beautiful Mind, the final episode of M*A*S*H, The Fountain, Canterbury Tales. They are the kind of stories that leave you wondering.. what really happened and can we believe that or was it in their mind?

In any case.. I am not saying this is so with August Booth and Once Upon a Time.. but it might be that the writers want to leave us guessing/questioning what is true, what is 'real' and what is not. Currently I am going with what the initial story that the Enchanted lands are 'real' and that Storybrooke is a fake construction of Regina's doing 'stuck in time somewhere between two worlds'. That they are not actually in a real town in Maine would explain why it's not easy for strangers to enter nor easy for residents to leave. But who is the narrator of this story?

I can't wait to find out what August did to Henry's book. It's my guess that he added stories.. but why?

Dream Girl

Dream Girl

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 1:07 AM

Morninstar: Thanks for the link to the "Seriable" web site.

"Seriable" assumes that the water Booth used to soak the pages is from Storybrooke's wishing well. I agree, and feel that this magic water gives the new stories the same power that the old stories have. Which may return to Storybrooke folk more of their stolen subconscious memories.

Edited by Dream Girl, Feb 26, 2012 @ 4:54 PM.

Camera One

Camera One

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 1:45 AM

I haven't seen him on any other show, which is good since people's comments haven't been positive.

I don't dislike him, but so far, I have found his scenes rather boring. His scenes with Emma have that "banter" but it doesn't have the zing or the chemistry yet. Hopefully that changes if he is going to stick around.

Edited by Camera One, Feb 24, 2012 @ 1:46 AM.

awesometvgal

awesometvgal

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 9:49 AM

I have an alternative theory after reading Cindy's recap:

August: Say what you will about me. I always tell the truth.

I reckon he could be Pinocchio. I would need to see him with Archie and Marco, but I would love it if that's who he turned out to be. Is there actually a puppet of pinocchio in Storybrooke? I can't recall. I just remember that the puppet couple are in Mr Gold's shop. Could be very far fetched, but that's my theory.

I am curious about the slow reveal, because Henry will obviously have a theory now that he has his book back - and if it's been tampered with I hope Henry spots it quickly and confronts August.

Also I think Emma had it easy with Sheriff Graham as he was very adoring, and she pretty much ran that show, whereas with August she is going to have to work at the relationship more.

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 10:16 PM

Okay, we know that he is, or claims to be a writer, that he carries around a rather archaic typewriter (if that is "archaic typewriter" isn't redundant nowadays) and that he, or his motorcycle at least has spent time in Kansas. I think he's a descendant of Frank Baum. We know that Oz is part of the Enchanted World, because there are flying monkeys in Henry's book. I think all the "writers" of the various fictions from the Enchanted World had a link of some kind to it, maybe psychic and that their descendants belong to a secret society of some kind and that now that Emma has started to change things in Storybrooke August has been sent as their agent.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 3:02 AM

I constantly have to keep reminding myself that the Enchanted lands are only 28 years in the past because they seem so much like the tales we remember that were handed down to us from medieval Europe. It might not matter much, but when we think about who a person like August could be.. he wouldn't have to be a descendant.. and Regina did think he looked familiar.

Many things point to August being from the Wizard of Oz tale.. the Kansas plates on his 'bike'.. flying monkey's (Lemurs?) but which character could he be? L. Frank Baum (the author) is one person who comes to mind. But also the Wizard/Professor Marvell. What if August was in a hot air balloon when the curse rolled over the Enchanted lands? If he has aged though.. he would have been young at the time. Curious. His 'banter' is odd.. and it reminds me of.. someone. And he seems to be a con, even though he said he never tells a lie.

I would have thought of Pinocchio too, but Pinocchio definitely had very red hair in the Enchanted Lands, and I think brown eyes.

Cindy McLennan

Cindy McLennan

Network Executive

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 6:58 AM

August: Say what you will about me. I always tell the truth.

I reckon he could be Pinocchio. I would need to see him with Archie and Marco, but I would love it if that's who he turned out to be. Is there actually a puppet of pinocchio in Storybrooke? I can't recall. I just remember that the puppet couple are in Mr Gold's shop. Could be very far fetched, but that's my theory.

I like the Pinocchio theory, regardless of hair color (reds tend to brown out as a person ages) and if the role of August hadn't yet been cast when the pilot was filmed, Pinocchio's eye color might not have been on casting's radar.

I wonder if Geppetto carved Pinocchio out of a limb of the same magic tree that was used to make the magical wardrobe. After all, the Blue Fairy is the one who told the council about the tree. Pinocchio could have been transported to "our world" because of his enchanted genetics. It's a stretch, but I keep thinking about it.

As for the lemur angle, well, August was either wrong or lying when he told Ruby about lemurs in Nepal. To me, that makes him a story-teller.

Edited, because I no longer know if I mean lemurs or lemures.

Edited by Cindy McLennan, Mar 13, 2012 @ 7:26 AM.

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 2:11 PM

His referring to lemures would still be odd because they're evil spirits from Roman, not Hindu or Buddhist lore.
Should be mentioned that lemurs, because of their reflective eyes, spooky voices and nocturnal tendencies, are named after lemures.

Edited by Tricksterson, Mar 13, 2012 @ 2:27 PM.

Samiwell

Samiwell

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 2:31 PM

His referring to lemures would still be odd because they're evil spirits from Roman, not Hindu or Buddhist lore.

I agree ... and there's no need to stretch for esoterica when plain old lemurs work better anyway (either as flying prosimians or as an example of August making up the whole story).

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 2:37 PM

Oh those tricksey writers! I wonder if they intended to create such confusion with their lemurs. I am sure they are getting a good laugh at our expense.

The slow loris, which does live in Nepal and has reflective eyes, has various mythology/superstition attached to it both good & evil. Some believe they are gatekeepers to the heavens.. others believe they ward off evil. But in any case, they are shy, nocturnal animals and not likely to be running all over temples in the daytime. Are there any temples in Nepal carved from the mountain?

I definitely agree that August is a storyteller and I wonder if that was the point of 'pay attention to the lemurs' comment.

It reminds me of my daughter when she was little. She would tell 'stories', her teachers called it lying. Now she's a writer. LOL.

Edited by MorninStar, Mar 13, 2012 @ 2:37 PM.

Anakerie

Anakerie

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 11:53 PM

My opinion is that he's Baelfire, who is not only Rumpy's son but also Regina's. Either the curse didn't work on him, or didn't work completely, and he's come to town to try and stop his mother. That would explain his interest in Henry, as they are legally brothers. I'm sure I'm wrong on this, but it's fun to mentally play around with.

Phee

Phee

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 9:28 AM

Originally, I was intrigued by the idea that August was somehow related to the Grimms, instead of actually being a character. That theory was based purely on his name, with Wayne Booth having written "The Rhetoric Of Fiction" and then also the fact that the Brothers Grimm had a BFF named August. But now I suspect that was just the clever way they chose his name, but I reckon his actual character is Pinocchio (and the boy who found Emma, because the ages match up too conveniently IMO).

They've made a point of August saying he always tells the truth, then he totally lied about the lemurs in Nepal, (that glaring glitch had to be deliberate, right?), which means he also lied to Emma when he said he doesn't tell lies, and telling lies was a key factor of Pinocchio's story.

Though something from that lemur speech may be a truthful hint, because Pinocchio would run off on adventures, and August was saying how he runs off on adventures. In one of the OUAT podcasts, someone mentioned that Fables-verse Pinocchio has an incurable case of wanderlust.

But what really intrigues me is that thus far we haven't seen hints of a Storybrooke version of Pinocchio. Other family members who were together in Fairytale are still together in Storybrooke, (with the exception of Snow/Charming and by extension of that, Abigail/Frederick). Granny and Red are together in both worlds, as are Hansel and Gretel, even Jack Sprat and his wife who popped up with their cameo in the Dreamy ep. Yet back in the pilot we had Marco saying of children, "I'd give anything for one. My wife and I, we tried for many years, but it was not meant to be." If Geppetto and Pinocchio were together right before the curse hit, why are they not still together in Storybrooke? Pinocchio's gotta be somewhere, right? And if we've thus far seen no sign of him in Storybrooke, then he could have been living outside it for these 28 years. Maybe that's even why Regina is suspicious of him, (beyond the automatic suspicion because no one ever comes to town), because she knows that there was a boy missing when she did the headcount after everyone got transported, so now she's wondering if this newcomer could be him.

August obviously has something to do with the writing of the book, considering he was messing around with it and claims to be a writer. If he was Pinocchio, perhaps the book is simply his own re-telling of stories from his old homeland. If he was 7 years old when the curse hit, he'd have known people in that land, and he'd have known their stories, (unlike Emma who has no recollection of Fairytale because she was 2mins old when she left). Wouldn't the book had to have been written by someone who was actually there, considering these versions of the stories went all the way up until Emma being born and how she escaped? Pinocchio would totally know all about that story.

Maybe the travels that August was telling Ruby about has been his way of trying to find where in our world all the Fairytale folks ended up, (assuming Geppetto gave him the heads up before sending him away, and told him to look for them).

Of course, there's still the question of how Pinocchio would have escaped to our world because the tree could only protect one. I've seen some speculation that perhaps puppet Pinocchio was made from a branch of the tree, but I dunno that that would necessarily transport him. I wouldn't be surprised if Geppetto made a deal with Rumple to help his son escape the curse. Or perhaps it was even something built into the curse that someone apart from Emma had to be transported with knowledge of all that happened, because if no one wrote the book and got it to Henry, then Emma wouldn't find her way to Storybrooke. If so, perhaps Mr Gold has been keeping an eye on August ever since they all arrived in our world, and has somehow manipulated him throughout his life, (as though August was a puppet, hmmmm), to lead everything and everyone to this moment in time.

Maybe the stuff August was doing with the book was editing some stories. Ever since Henry said he hasn't figured out who Mr Gold is, I've wondered if Rumple isn't in the book, because if Henry had read about him, you'd think it'd be pretty obvious who he was right? Maybe if August was Pinocchio re-telling stories from his world, he hadn't known about Rumple because Geppetto tried to keep that from him, the way parents stop their kids from watching the news to shield them from the evils of the world. But now that he's older and wiser, August/Pinocchio does know about Rumple, so was adding him into the book so Henry can figure it out and tell Emma to help her break the curse. Perhaps.

Anyway, I'm starting to ramble on, (tends to happen with shows like this, speculating on one crackpot theory leads to more and more), but, yeah, basically: #TeamPinocchio Can't wait to see August's ep so I can see how wrong everything in this post is. ;-)

loosy

loosy

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 7:43 PM

Hi, guys, first-time-poster in these threads,.. actually first-time-poster in a long time.
I, too, had at first the feeling, that Booth would be at least a descendant of the Grimms, what with the oldfashioned August and the typewriter, although that seemed a little on the nose. But his claim to always tell the truth reminded me of the original tale. As far as i can recall it, the queen´s magic mirror had that little quirk. He knew everything, and when asked, would give you the truth, even if you didn´t want to hear it (Your´re the fairest here, but...). It was his truth which tipped the queen off that snow was still alive after the huntsman claimed he had killed her, and even told her where she was hiding. And in the end, he had a hand in the queens death, when he told her that snow was alive again. That truth made the queen so angry, she exploded or evaporated or something. at least that´s my recollection of it. So maybe our regina banished him into the real world long before she used the curse, and when chance presented itself, got herself a mirror, that was in love with her and would simply echoe her desire´s and stroke her ego instead of challenging her with uncomfortable thoughts.

And a little aside: on the the topic of unreliable narrator´s from the beginning of the thread someone mentioned "Fight Club", the actor actually had a part in that. And i´ll always remember him in that - i believe - first season ep of Buffy, "the Pack", when a bunch of students adopt the spirits of hyenas and eat the principal. Yes, i´m that old....

ouronlylight

ouronlylight

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 8:58 PM

And i´ll always remember him in that - i believe - first season ep of Buffy, "the Pack", when a bunch of students adopt the spirits of hyenas and eat the principal. Yes, i´m that old....

Eion Bailey was in "The Pack"? Are you kidding? BRB, searching for my season 1 DVDs.

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 1:08 PM

loosy: So am I.

Samiwell

Samiwell

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 1:16 PM

You kids have got to be joking. You remember the first season of Buffy and you think that makes you old??? ha! I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Edited by Samiwell, Mar 17, 2012 @ 1:18 PM.

loosy

loosy

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 4:06 PM

Well, i wasn´t exactly in highschool anymore, when i discovered that i liked nerdy shows like that.
Samiwell, how about we ... tv-elders drink to our memories of television before the digital age, when everthing happened in those big, heavy boxes and not online.

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 4:30 PM

No, I remember the first season of Star Trek (and I don't mean Next Generation) and I think that makes me old.

Edited by Tricksterson, Mar 17, 2012 @ 4:31 PM.

loosy

loosy

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 5:03 PM

Okay, you win. bangs a bottle of scotch on the table
I remember seeing Star Trek for the first time, when it was on one of only 5 channels that we got. I was staring bewildered at the tv, because i did not get what this was about and why it looked the way it did. Mind you, it was the 80`, and the concept of science fiction from the 60`was rather confusing to me.

Samiwell

Samiwell

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 6:12 PM

Samiwell, how about we ... tv-elders drink to our memories of television before the digital age, when everthing happened in those big, heavy boxes and not online.

LOL! Yes, I'll drink to those days when the air-waves were free (but getting 5 channels would've been 2 too many!). :D

Edited by Samiwell, Mar 17, 2012 @ 6:14 PM.

loosy

loosy

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 6:29 PM

None of them were broadcasting around the clock. What did we do all day?

lubi

lubi

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 10:20 AM

I was Team Baelfire, but I'm now leaning towards Pinocchio.

However, people have mentioned him being from Oz. This got me thinking about his speech about water - he also ordered water in Grann'y dinner when he was with Henry - and what is the one thing that can defeat the Wicked Witch of the West? Water.

It's and interesting connection.

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 11:17 AM

Come to the Oz side lubi, we have macaroons and spiced tarts.

Samiwell

Samiwell

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 11:29 AM

Come to the Oz side lubi, we have macaroons and spiced tarts.

And poppy-infused green tea made with water from Lake Nostos! ;)