20-8: 2012.02.20

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

262 replies to this topic

fionab

fionab

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

Ben continues not to shave for important dates, like meeting the ladies' families. awesome sauce... discuss.

scarlettudor

scarlettudor

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:14 PM

Lindzi ~ So, did everyone catch the booty feel Ben copped when they were on the buggy ride?

How can Lindzi not know her parents were married in San Fran at the City Hall?

Mom’s necklace looked like it was made from a broken bit, very appropro for folk who apparently own a horse farm.

Kacie B (who will never just be Kacie) seems so in love with Ben. Ben looks like he’s thinking ‘How long till I get to see Courtney.’

How pretty and young her mother is. Kacie B. is young and beautiful, but needs to quit wrinkling her forehead so hard and so often.

So glad she dodged the Fantasy Suite, given how she’s been raised.

What was the blue card Ben pulled out of his pocket as he was getting in the car?

Nikki ~ goodness, her butt looked big in those jean tights.

But, oh, her Dad with that tear in his eye! And her Mom seems equally crazy about her.

I hope she stays single if she doesn’t find anyone who loves her to a similar degree.

It’s awful that Ben has made all these women ‘glow.’ Dating to this stage should be done consecutively, not simultaneously. Ben just does not seem to show the enthusiasm for these women that they show for him.

Courtney ~ the initial scene where she seemed to regret her meaness to the other women was obviously added to make this female shark look more like a mud puppy.

I think she has rubbed the whole country ~ or at least the part who watch this dumb show ~ ‘the wrong way,’ Ben.

Gads, they’re presenting this she wolf as really nice? This is not the same person! What have they done with Courtney?! Had she not had the same clammy looking skin while talking with her mother and fiddled with her hair incessantly, I would have really suspected a doppelganger..

And if any of the other women had set up that ‘faux wedding,’ Ben would have been horrified at their gross, inappropriate assumption and run in the other direction. From Courtney, it’s just cute, I guess.

Anyone else think Courtney’s sister Rachel looked like Chloe Kardashian?

During the Rose Ceremony, Nikki looked like she wanted to leap over there, down Ben's throat, and pull her name out of it.

When Kacie was found to be the one going home, Lindzi and Nikki consoled her. Courtney kind of looked Ben's way, then awkwardly turned toward K.B. Obviously she's glad to get rid of the one who had at least some chance of beating her.

Edited by scarlettudor, Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:17 PM.

Amath

Amath

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:15 PM

I'm always happy when Ben looks even worse than usual, so the cowboy-hat shopping trip was perfect. Awesome hat-head.

I'm hoping The Soup has a segment coming up called "Kacie B's Dad: Unlikely Voice of Reason." Her family wins the show. Did Ben really present them with a bottle of wine after Kacie told him they don't drink?

Ben could have kept Kacie B. but not offered her the fantasy suite card, out of respect for her and her family. It would have given him a little bit of a redemption arc. At least he walked her out!

portergirl99

portergirl99

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:16 PM

The way Lindzi says im-por-tant freaks me out. Was her dad wearing a rug?

torreador

torreador

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:16 PM

Well, Kacie B's dad sunk her chances to get to Switzerland for the overnight dates. No way Ben was taking her over there for a test drive. Daddy (and mom) would kill him.

And he continues to show such empathy and articulateness. When Kacie told him about her grandmother dying not long after her grandfather, he made the inciteful statement "uh huh."

I thought he might be making a funny when he said his last date with Courtney was monumental, but, no. He didn't get the pun.

Lindzi's folks must be loaded.

As for Ben not shaving for important dates... at first I thought he was trying unsuccessfully to grow a mustache at the Rose Ceremony. But the scenes from Switzerland show he may be unsuccessfully trying to grow a beard. Maybe Courtney told him she likes hairy guys?

Firthient

Firthient

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:19 PM

I am glad Kacie’s parents voiced their concerns. Given the concept of the show, I am surprised so many parents willingly give their blessing. I think this is the first time I’ve heard a father tell the Bachelor if my daughter isn’t the one, cut her loose now before it goes any further and she gets hurt. And, seeing as how Ben already knows the recipient of his final rose, I am glad he complied with her father’s request. Kacie was my favorite, so I wished she’d gone out with class, but after watching the show, I am sure she realized she dodged a bullet.

I noticed when Courtney voiced her regret about the ladies that it was in a voiceover instead of talking head. I am willing to bet it was taped after the backlash began. The producers are doing major damage control.

cassyinjax

cassyinjax

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:20 PM

Thoughts on tonight's episode:

1. Does Ben seriously NEVER groom himself? Or practice personal hygiene? Of all the times to shave, and wash your hair, when you are meeting someone's parents would be an ideal time.

2. I can't imagine the rest of the girls will be too happy about Courtney and Ben's faux wedding. The skinny-dipping was bad enough, but now they're going to see that these two were pretty much already engaged, and he was only going through the motions with the rest of them.

3. Poor Kacie -- I thought she at least handled herself with dignity in front of Ben, telling him that she wished him the best. At least she kept her composure until she got in the car, and then GOOD LORD. Although listening to what she was actually saying, it mirrors what a lot of the exit interviews have said. It's the environment, the pain of being rejected, of not being good enough, and not so much that you actually loved him. When she said she felt stupid and why am I not good enough, I thought immediately that, you know, once she gets out of this Bachelor bubble she'll probably feel like this entire thing was a joke.

4. Ben seemed genuinely sorry to have to hurt Kacie, which is interesting. He's shown no emotion or empathy or ANYTHING for anyone he's sent home, but he did seem to be upset that he made Kacie cry.

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:23 PM

So the production rehab of Courtney has begun. Too bad they didn't think to start that sooner.

Kacie got pissed off. I must admit I was surprised about that. Too bad she didn't do that to his face.

You know, I'm almost sorry to see this season come to an end. It's been such a delightful train wreck. Almost... I won't miss Ben.

cassyinjax

cassyinjax

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:23 PM

I noticed when Courtney voiced her regret about the ladies that it was in a voiceover instead of talking head. I am willing to bet it was taped after the backlash began. The producers are doing major damage control.

That's what I thought too, but then they showed her actually saying it in her white dress. So it wasn't just a voiceover. Although I'd bet the producers goaded her into saying it -- i.e., "Do you regret the way you've treated any of the girls now that it's affecting your relationship with Ben?" or something.

Always Somethin

Always Somethin

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:24 PM

Kacie and Nikki's moms looked like long lost sisters.

In some scenes, Ben's mop was so especially fugly I had to cover my eyes.

Why didn't we get any one-on-one convos between Ben and Courtney's 'rents? As the credits were rolling, we were all treated to their insight about the skinny dipping caper...I can see how Courtney is the way she is after meeting her mom. What a tight assed piece of insipid snivel.

Kacie may not have seen it coming based on the expressions on her face prior to the rose ceremony...but some day she will thank her folks for saving her from any further heartache. Could Ben have said one nice thing to her other than his lame apology? I shudder to wonder who will scrape Nikki and Lindzi off the floor after the following weeks' fiascos.

isotonerz

isotonerz

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:25 PM

And he continues to show such empathy and articulateness. When Kacie told him about her grandmother dying not long after her grandfather, he made the inciteful statement "uh huh."

Heh. Yeah, I caught that. Did he stifle a yawn? . . .maybe not

Wondering who us the reject who turns up in Switzerland nect week?

I don't think it's Kacie B. I think maybe Emily (got dumped last week).

Anyway, will these women (and men) who as rejected ever learn that coming back for an explanation or begging for another chance never works? It.is.so.lame.

ETA: Yes, Coourtney's sister looks like Khloe K.

Edited by isotonerz, Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:40 PM.

TheFinalRose

TheFinalRose

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:27 PM

Ben looked particularly gross this evening. When he put that little bow-tie on I thought he looked just like one of those Little Rascals...Alfalfa maybe?

Yes that Courtney's sister reminded me of Khloe Kardashian. And I could see that Courtney got her odd lips and her little girl way of speaking from her mom, so yeah, she makes a little more sense now. I laughed loud when Kacie B said "What the f happened?" in the limo.

And just because it can't be said enough, Ben looked really gross tonight.

Wibnix

Wibnix

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:Backgammon, reading, animals, Foo Fighters, lotsa TV.

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:30 PM

It amazes me that the families of these women would actually agree to the hometown dates. Melissa (from Jason's season) had the right idea.

All I know is if my daughter were addlebrained enough to do this dumb show I would totally discourage it. I did think Lindzi's parents seemed fine, and didn't seem like they would be the type to massacre her name that way.

Poor Kacie. She seemed pretty torn up. And Ben totally scandalized that the dad didn't drink at all. I knew her douchey dad would be the end of her (as well as that no living together before marriage caveat). Her mother was adorable. Loved the cardigan and her hair. Cute glasses too. I still can't figure out where Kacie's curly hair comes from. And what will her parents think when they see their darling daughter obviously swearing on national TV? At least Ben walked her out but he sucks at it. No explanation whatsoever.

I had totally forgotten that Nikki was even part of the equation. She seemed like such a nonentity. Tonight I thought she looked like Eva Langoria. It was pretty cool that her parents can come together when need be. I never would have known they were divorced. Her brother seemed like a really good kid too.

I see TPTB are now changing their edit of Shiny Fivehead all of a sudden. That whole fake wedding thing was so freaking stupid, and it has been done before (with Ashley and the douchebag comedian guy). Wow, Courtney's mom was really, really heavily lined. Her skin was terrible and her haircut totally outdated. Fivehead's sis ratting her out at the end was hilarious.

I really, really hate Ben's hair. He actually looked better with the cowboy hat, and I HATE cowboy hats. And would it kill him to shave once in awhile?

Amath

Amath

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:30 PM

He's sharp, too. When she told him, "so, we're standing on the Frank Boguskie memorial field," he just gave her a completely blank look like the name had no significance for him. I truly was convinced he didn't know her last name.

cassyinjax

cassyinjax

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:33 PM

That whole fake wedding thing was so freaking stupid, and it has been done before (with Ashley and the douchebag comedian guy).

Yeah, but wasn't theirs just a cheesy Vegas thing with Ashley just trying to see how far she could make William go? I don't think she had them write out vows professing their love, or put on pretend rings, or do the whole kiss the bride bit, like Ben and Courtney did. That fake wedding was just another slap in the face to the rest of the girls again, IMO.

LadyJaney

LadyJaney

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:34 PM

Felt bad for Kacie. She's a nice girl and being someone who's parents are similar to how Kacie's are, I can sympathize with wanting to make your own way. Ben was never going to keep her, because he knew he wouldn't get too far with the fantasy suite because of her background. So he went with the ones he could get laid with. Because Ben is an ass. Kacie doesn't realize how fortunate she is to be away from the hot mess that he really is.

Lindzi and Nikki have both been hurt before and are falling for this clown. I think his mind is made up already and if my (and I'm sure most others who watch this) assumptions are correct, he will hurt them both before this is over. Dude, if you already know what you want, find ways to let them down easy so they aren't shocked in the end.

I almost think this sadistic prick enjoys seeing these women cry over him when he sends them packing. Why do they all cry over him?

Courtney...once again gets the most airtime. And I agree with the poster who said he'd be freaked out if any other woman besides Courtney pulled the mock wedding thing with him. And it was so clearly staged. Who decorated the van with "Almost Married" with cans on the back if this was such a "surprise"?

Who is the Surprise visitor they elude to next week? I fear it's Kacie, but hope not. She is better than that. BTW, does anyone else think she looks like Jackie Kennedy in the face? Pretty girl, she would have been a better Bachelorette than the future "Real Housewives of ____" Emily.

Edited by LadyJaney, Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:35 PM.

cassyinjax

cassyinjax

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:35 PM

Wondering who us the reject who turns up in Switzerland nect week?

I don't think it's Kacie B. I think maybe Emily (got dumped last week).

[snip]

Edited by TWoP Mars, Feb 20, 2012 @ 11:41 PM.
Spoilers

boggartlaura

boggartlaura

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:35 PM

Ben letting Kacie go was the nicest thing he's done all season.

torreador

torreador

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:37 PM

He's sharp, too. When she told him, "so, we're standing on the Frank Boguskie memorial field," he just gave her a completely blank look like the name had no significance for him. I truly was convinced he didn't know her last name.

Yes, well, Boguskie is such a common name.... I'm sure he just thought it was a coincidence.

When she watches the season, Kacie will realize what a close call she had and thank her dad.

As for the Rehabilitation of Courtney, part 1.... I don't buy it.at.all.

Violette363

Violette363

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:42 PM

That's what I thought too, but then they showed her actually saying it in her white dress. So it wasn't just a voiceover.

Ah, but I watched this sequence verrry carefully, and if you'll notice, the part where they actually show Courtney's face, she's talking about her feelings about seeing Ben again -- I think it's VERY possible that they cut together that clip with the voiceover of her supposedly expressing regret for the way she's treated the women. No way do I believe she actually felt regret back then.

Poor Kacie. I think her father did her a favor, even though it may have been hard to accept at the time. Agree with the poster(s) who said he is, for all his apparent conservatism, the voice of reason here. It's totally sensible for someone to say, "um, maybe you should just date? Instead of getting engaged? Just date some more? Also, get your own place? Maybe?"

Also? Ben is still a fucking tool. He did walk Kacie out and seemed mildly discomfited by her crying, but he had NOTHING to say to her beyond "I'm sorry"?? Jesus, dude, you can't even say the words "you're an amazing woman and I'm glad you came here. I wish you the best"? That's not hard. It really, really isn't. Ben's inability to empathize with these women or emote on anything beyond a superficial level is chilling.

Courtney continues to steal from pop culture with her vows -- "I want real love, passionate love, consuming, can't-live-without-each-other love," is from Sex and the City, and the "love you right day and night" is a Bob Marley lyric. Does this woman have anything original to say? Yes, she was more human around her family but who isn't?. And I totally agree that, had any other bachelorette staged a faux-wedding, Ben would've sent her packing post-haste. But the model can do no wrong!

Ben's hair still sucks.

Firthient

Firthient

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:45 PM

That's what I thought too, but then they showed her actually saying it in her white dress. So it wasn't just a voiceover.

It was a voiceover not a talking head. If you get a chance, please re-watch. Based on Chris Harrison's blogs, they are trying to redeem her. She is going to start voicing her regrets and professing her love for Ben.

I agree with the poster who said that Courtney’s sister resembles Khloe Kardashian.

monkfish

monkfish

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:46 PM

Cortney's constant fidgeting with her hair was tortuous. It made me look up trichotillomania to see if it applied.

Judging ny many comments here about Ben's appearance, perhaps Kacie's parents did not like him because he made the theory of evolution more plausible.

awaken

awaken

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:46 PM

Just UGH all around.

I was totally with Kacie's parents. Thank goodness they brought some common sense into this! And Ben just has no responses to their questions- her dad asks what he sees in his daughter and Ben mumbles out something like 'we've had a lot of conversations...she's great..." and when her mom expresses her concern about them living together he just says "I'm glad you have concerns..." but doesn't actually talk it out or explain his side. (although I'm sure it was heavily edited and maybe he said more).

So glad Kacie can now move on! She can do so much better. It was terrible that he didn't say a thing to her when she exited, just looked mournful and said "I'm really sorry", after meeting her family and coming so far! Not a single word of explanation! I think Ben just sent her home because he was scared to face her father and go through the family strife and negotiations it would take to take Kacie away from TN and live with him in San Fran.

I can totally see where Courtney gets her odd facial tics and way of talking! Such an odd family. I didn't see much warmth there. And Ben's hair during the wedding scene, ouch, that was so painful to look at, he looked like some kind of geeky professor caricature. It was so laughable.

Poor Nicki, when she was saying she loved him it almost looked like he was incredulous and supressing laughter. She seemed so sincere and he seemed so not into it. I think he would have sent her home tonight if two could be sent. His hair looked like a little girl's in that cowboy hat, sooooo not attractive.

Edited by awaken, Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:48 PM.

cassyinjax

cassyinjax

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:47 PM

Ah, but I watched this sequence verrry carefully, and if you'll notice, the part where they actually show Courtney's face, she's talking about her feelings about seeing Ben again -- I think it's VERY possible that they cut together that clip with the voiceover of her supposedly expressing regret for the way she's treated the women. No way do I believe she actually felt regret back then.

I don't think she felt regret either. But I also wasn't paying that much attention tonight because the episode was mind-numbingly boring... maybe I'll re-watch tomorrow on the DVR and see if the words match up and everything. I thought it seemed like such a smooth transition too. Hmmmmm. Maybe I got fooled by the sneaky editing. ;)

selina720

selina720

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:48 PM

I noticed this too, but the only part they showed Courtney saying while in her white dress was "I am falling in love with Ben" and then they quickly jumped back to voiceover. I think it was all editing and definitely down after the show to try and rehab Courntey's image. I don't understand what TPTB thought was to be gained by giving us the original evil biatch editif they are going to try and save face now. I think they would be better off just owning it at this point and having CH do some damage control rather than trying to repaint Courtney. I'm sure she isn't as black and white as she has been edited, but she certainly gave them a lot of crazy to work with.

MasalaCurry

MasalaCurry

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:50 PM

Courtney continues to steal from pop culture with her vows -- "I want real love, passionate love, consuming, can't-live-without-each-other love," is from Sex and the City, and the "love you right day and night" is a Bob Marley lyric. Does this woman have anything original to say? Yes, she was more human around her family but who isn't?. And I totally agree that, had any other bachelorette staged a faux-wedding, Ben would've sent her packing post-haste. But the model can do no wrong!

Word!! When she said "all-consuming..." I could almost hear SJP saying the exact same lines. Doesn't look like Ben has even seen the show or would remember those lines. Out of all the girls, I thought Courtney's family was the most fake and "formal", as in her praising her mom and the mom thanking her. I guess my family is different. We don't thank each other for praises, and I would not fake praise my mother just to get her to like Ben or whatever. I found the whole situation so fake. I still cannot cannot get over Courtney's lips, the upper lip, omg its so hideous and stiff. If I were Ben, no way would I get over that, but I guess he has other things on his (little) mind...

Yes had it been anyone other than Courtney Ben would have sent them packing after the wedding thing. Courtney does get away with a lot with Ben, he is totally smitten with her.

While I was surprised to see how traditional Kacey's parents are, I liked that they expressed themselves to Ben. If he truly loved Kacey (is that even possible on this show?), he would have accepted her despite all the conversations and fears. I am glad he let her go since he wasn't interested anyway. I liked her parents, they were very realistic. Seriously if my son/daughter (don't have one yet) were to go to this show and bring someone home, I would wonder what went wrong in my upbringing that my kid had to go on this joke of a show unless he/she wanted a career in media, and even then I would be very skeptical.

Can Courtney not stand straight? What is wrong with her? Everything about her is so annoying, why does she fidget all the time.

Edited by MasalaCurry, Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:54 PM.

Violette363

Violette363

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:56 PM

It was a voiceover not a talking head. If you get a chance, please re-watch. Based on Chris Harrison's blogs, they are trying to redeem her. She is going to start voicing her regrets and professing her love for Ben.

Firthient, it's a deceptive sequence (intentionally, of course) since they cut so quickly from the voiceover where she boo-hooed about the mistakes she's made with the other women to actual interview footage of her that day. But you're absolutely right -- it's just a clever edit that makes it seem like it's all part of one thought/interview. We never SEE her say she regrets the way she's acted. Not buying it, producers. Sorry!

Also, I think it's worth stating that for casual viewers of this show: these women are driven round and round for hours in that limo, having had a few drinks, freshly rejected and being prompted by producers' questions about their romantic failures. So I honestly, after having watched this show since the beginning, have a LOT of sympathy for these women. I don't think any of them really know what they're getting into to, re: producer manipulation, when they sign up.

awaken

awaken

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:57 PM

I also thought Nicki looked great! How much time had elapsed between the last round of dates, and the hometowns? It looked like her hair had grown a bit.

Ben just has nothing at all to say. All just generic phrases. I don't feel like I know him any better than I did last season- in fact I feel like we got to know him better on Ashley's season and now he's just a cardboard cutout person. I wonder if he did actually talk about anything with the women, but it was all edited out. When these women talk about their "relationship" I'm so confused. I haven't seen any relationships at all, just them talking about their exes and Ben saying "uh huh", and thanking them for opening up. I really hope they have had more conversations about all kinds of things that we just haven't been privy to.

cassyinjax

cassyinjax

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 11:00 PM

I really hope they have had more conversations about all kinds of things that we just haven't been privy to.

I think it's a combination of that, and the fact that these girls spend most of their time on the Bachelor drunk (or at the very least tipsy), so even the most shallow conversations seem much deeper and more meaningful than they actually are.

Vexer

Vexer

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 11:05 PM

The redemption arc begins. I definitely don't believe the voice overs and all that BS about regretting how she treated the ladies being real time - her cold reaction and smirk when Kacie got the boot made it obvious she still has contempt for the other remaining ladies. But dammit, their time together really seemed the most genuine and real of all of them. Maybe it's because he's only going through the motions with the other women having obviously already made up his mind, but their time together seemed the most natural - they seemed to have real conversations as opposed to the stilted crap with the other women - albeit Courtney pulls half her stuff from pop culture. Am I a sucker for actually believing that there might be something between them? I don't think I can actually like Courtney, but I will say she seemed less horrid once she was away from the other women.