7-17: "No Pressure" 2012.02.20

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

96 replies to this topic

Astor

Astor

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 8:32 PM

When Robin breaks up with Kevin, Ted confesses his feelings to her. Meanwhile, Barney is on a mission to find something private of Marshall and Lily's

DrScottie

DrScottie

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 8:39 PM

Thank goodness. This is finally an episode that we've been waiting for. Just as Victoria said, Ted can't be with his future wife until he deals with the fact that he lives with his off and on ex-girlfriend. Now, Barney can marry Robin (or not) and Ted can meet more of the Mother than her ankle and her umbrella. .

Sara Sunshine

Sara Sunshine

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 8:41 PM

I liked this episode a lot, but I think my favorite part was Marshall telling Robin to move out.

Moviesnob

Moviesnob

Video Archivist

• Interests:movies, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Corgi

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 8:41 PM

This is the HIMYM I love the most. The humor was good, but hitting all the emotional spots in all the right places - I knew Ted/Robin at last week's end was heading for something like this, and I'm thrilled with how they handled it.

This episode brought back a few emotional memories for me, when you finally have to give up on something/someone, and I loved what Radnor did with it. I really like Marshall telling Robin to move out, although we'll see what they do with Marshall's "not yet" at the end.

This ep didn't do much for those that dislike Lily due to her meddling - now it looks like her interference five years ago also had a monetary backing to it. I don't know what else they're going to do with Barney/Robin, but I'm glad that Barney truly seems to have shut the door with her - I'm hoping that Robin gets a glimpse of what her actions have done in regards to Barney, hopefully when she confesses her feelings to him and he slams the door in her face.

Edited by Moviesnob, Feb 20, 2012 @ 8:42 PM.

RobinSparkles

RobinSparkles

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 8:48 PM

Did anyone else catch the Conan cameo in MacLaren's? Loved it.

Drew T.

Drew T.

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 8:48 PM

This reminded me of an early season episode, not just because of the focus on Ted/Robin (although certainly many of the scenes -- and not just the flashbacks -- evoked other memories) but because it seemed to take these characters seriously. I don't know that anything will forgive Martin Short on fire or any of the other ridiculous stuff from the season, but this went a long way toward making me feel better.

I appreciated that they pulled back on some of the broadness, and I loved that they allowed the emotional moments to play out without feeling the need to undercut them. I can't pick a favorite scene among all the ones I enjoyed with Barney/Ted, Marshall/Ted, and Marshall/Robin.

I, like many others, have been ready to put this relationship behind me for a while, but despite that, I felt a real sense of sadness tonight that I didn't expect. Ted's quiet resignation and acceptance made it even tougher to watch. It was definitely what needed to happen, and it fulfilled Victoria's notion from earlier this season, but it was really tough to watch given how important Ted and Robin have been to the show. I've always loved them together as a couple or as friends, and I'm interested to see what this does to affect the friendship.

Very, very good episode.

On a lighter note, I wonder if Ted is the inspiration for Wedding Bride III.

CapsChick

CapsChick

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 8:49 PM

In the opening scene, the sold-out movie Ted and Yellow Umbrella wanted to see was "The Wedding Bride III."

Robin flashbacks are not kind to current-day Cobie.

"Not yet." Ugh, thanks a lot, show.

Syma

Syma

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 8:50 PM

I shouldn't complain, but it would have made more sense for Ted to realize that Barney is in love with Robin, and not the other way around. There have been a few episodes, where Ted has seen how much Barney cares about Robin, aside from the episode where Barney is throwing way the roses, there's also the episode where Barney let Robin win the race around New York. Ted could have also used this realization to explain some of Barney's recent behavior.

I think that the same thing goes for Lilly. Instead of giving Lilly and Marshall a storyline that makes them look silly, the writers should have added some depth by showing that Lilly has picked up on the feelings that Robin and Barney have for one another.

Despite those two problems, I am happy that it looks like the storyline is progressing.

catherinedebarra

catherinedebarra

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 8:57 PM

Best episode in awhile. My foremost thought through the whole thing, however, was wow, they are really getting some serious mileage out of Lily's pregnancy boobs.

Skittl1321

Skittl1321

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 9:11 PM

I enjoyed the episode more than I have in a long time (I keep tuning in hoping there will finally be a good one...) but I am so annoyed they added that "not yet" at the end.

Could we please just meet the mother and put this show to bed?

ayla123

ayla123

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 9:19 PM

Did anyone else catch the Conan cameo in MacLaren's? Loved it.

Hahah, yes! Conan is a man who would tend to stick out in a crowd, funny!

Also, Barney practicing the "Single Ladies" dance in the back of Marshall & Lily's car. I'm loving the little sight gags, they're throwing in there.

Edited by ayla123, Feb 20, 2012 @ 9:21 PM.

CapsChick

CapsChick

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 9:19 PM

I was very creeped out by Barney hitting on Lily in her and Marshall's bed. Don't they have a guest room?

lucindabelle

lucindabelle

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

almost liked it, but the "not yet" ruined me. I want this plotline to be put to bed, forever. I used to want Robin and Barney together, but they would have the same issue she had with Kevin: Barney wants kids. I like him with Quinn, and want to see more of that.

Can he just meet the mother already? We know she's Aunt Robin, so there's no way for them. Basta.

kirinan

kirinan

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 9:21 PM

This was an excellent episode--it brought the laughs, and it brought the poignant. Good job, show.

Even though I'm a Ted/Robin shipper, I'm okay with them breaking up, because really there's nothing else they can do at this point. But I'm desperately hoping this puts paid to the Barney/Robin relationship, too. C'mon--let Ted meet the mother, get Barney together with someone he has some real chemistry with, like Becki Newton's character, and let my awesome, not-beaten-down-and-defeated Robin come back and be once again the smart, funny, accomplished SINGLE woman the creators have stomped into the ground over the last couple of years.

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 9:24 PM

I really enjoyed this episode. Huzzah!

Great emotional points, and I'm SO glad that Ted finally called off that bullshit "We'll get married when we're 40" deal. I can appreciate that Robin is unsure of her feelings, but she's been stringing him along for years now and he doesn't deserve that.

I dont think Barney is over Robin at all.

The long term bet storyline made me a little pissy at Lily and Marshall (moreso Lily, given her manipulative history with Ted) but I think she redeemed herself a tiny bit by saying that she didn't see Robin and Ted as a forever couple. I believed that she was sincere about that. Although it also pissed me off that Ted asked Marshall to come to McKaren's solo and Ms. Buttinsky took it upon herself to join them. And why the hell was Marshall so willing to schlep back and forth between LI and NYC at least twice? There is no way in hell that it's only a 46-minute trip.

With the flash-forward to Ted's first "I love you" to The Mother in the opening scene, I'm pretty certain it's been confirmed that Robin isn't The Mother. So Marshall's "Not yet"annoyed me a bit. I get that it makes sense to keep that possibility open to entice the audience, but I'll be extremely disappointed if this is foreshadowing some kind of trick to get Robin to technically be The Mother (surrogate/egg donor situation, Teddivorces/is widowed and Robin is his second wife, etc). Or, I wonder if it could be that The Mother's name is also Robin?

I got faked out by the first girl with the yellow umbrella in the closing shot. Similar to how the orchid girl in last season'sfinale fakedmr out.

I would've missed the cameo if my husband hadn't said, "Um, did Barney just run over Conan O'Brien?" We had seen his interview with NPH a while back where he won a HIMYM cameo in a charity auction and requested a background role rather than a guest starring spot. Awesome: http://blog.zap2it.c...n-season-7.html

Jay

Jay

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 9:24 PM

This episode was better than the recent ones, sure. I did love all the callbacks, many of which only someone who'd been watching the show for a while would appreciate -- the blue french horn with a padlock on it, Ted meeting Robin at the airport with a chauffeur's sign, all the yellow umbrellas at the end. And yet, at the same time, part of me couldn't help but think that a lot of it was laziness masquerading as history and/or plot.

Blue32

Blue32

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 9:35 PM

I loved all the yellow umbrellas at the end, a nice visual metaphor for life's many possibilities and a fun callback as well.

This ep had a nice, cathartic feeling to it, for all the sadness in Ted's resignation about Robin; I never shipped them, but I just about cried when she handed over her apartment key. I even felt genuinely sad for Ted, which I did not expect, even though I agreed with Lily when she pointed out that while Ted hadn't settled down with anyone else, he hadn't settled down with Robin, either.

Also, Barney practicing the "Single Ladies" dance in the back of Marshall & Lily's car. I'm loving the little sight gags, they're throwing in there.

Ha, I wondered what he was doing when he was flipping his hand back to front, but I didn't realize it was the "Single Ladies" dance! Great gag.

Barney's creepy interest in Marshall and Lily's sex life and total disregard for their boundaries really shouldn't be funny, but I somehow never get tired of the jokes.

Edited by Blue32, Feb 20, 2012 @ 9:44 PM.

RobinSparkles

RobinSparkles

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 9:38 PM

Yes! I had to rewind and watch it again. Genius.

Edited by RobinSparkles, Feb 20, 2012 @ 9:39 PM.

Harriet 12 3

Harriet 12 3

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 9:39 PM

Best episode in a long time. I was dreading it because as I saw it Ted/Robin has been put to bed long ago. However they made ot believable that Ted may still have feelings and I actually felt quite sad at the end. Josh Radnor did a spectacular job as did Cobie. wasn't too fond of the bets thing, I can believe Lily and Marshall making a bet like that but to take it so seriously, for Lily to meddle because of it, well it made them look like horrible people. A lot of people hate Lily, I do not, but I cam very close tonight.

I think it'd make more sense for Ted to realise Barney loved Robin but either way it served the same purpose and the rose petals scene was finally addressed. Also having Barney close the door on his feelings for Robin (for now) leaves him free to pursue Quinn without questions from us.

I'm choosing to ignore Marshall's 'not yet' because it almost undoes the whole episode.

All in all a fantastic episode which reminded me of old times. Ted, not Barney, was in focus again and we got progress and growth. My only worry is next week won't be as good.

Edited by Harriet 12 3, Feb 20, 2012 @ 9:43 PM.

ParadoxLost

ParadoxLost

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 9:41 PM

I really did not like this one. I don't care for Barney and Robin as a couple. I am beginning to loathe Lily. Her attitude just comes across as more self absorbed than wanting what is best for Ted.

The only things I liked were Marshall telling Robin she's got to move and the look on Ted's face when he came up with the contracting lyme disease during his secret camping trips.

Also, they should have ended the episode when the single yellow umbrella went by. I'd rather a "glimpse" of the Mother than feel like they are thumbing their noses at us. I know they meant it as a "we are getting closer" but they've strung me along too long for me to believe it.

Edited by ParadoxLost, Feb 20, 2012 @ 9:42 PM.

hlyntunstl

hlyntunstl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 9:47 PM

the blue french horn with a padlock on it

I cracked up at that and the way Ted kept his face hidden behind the menu while ordering. I also loved Barney's Single Ladies moves. I also loved that Marshall told Robin she had to move out although her expression showed that she already knew. I did want to slap him though for the "Not yet". I guess we'll know he met the mother when he hands the cash over to Lilly.

I kept thinking Wedding Bride sounded familiar so thanks for reminder. Now, I'm off to look for Conan.

DotsAndStripes

DotsAndStripes

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 9:48 PM

I loved Marshall tonight until that tag at the end. We know Ted doens't end up with Robin, and it looked like that whole storyline was going to disappear again...then Marshall had to open his mouth.

mbd

mbd

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:01 PM

A few more thoughts:

I don't think it's impossible that Robin didn't drop the "I'm not in love with you" bomb until the end of the night because she wanted a ride from the airport and a free dinner (O.K., maybe not, but I DO think Ted is tired of being used).

Marshall's final "Not yet" irritated me at the time ... but on further thought, I'd like to see a callback to this when Ted has been dating The Mother for a while, and before he proposes or even mentions the possibility of marriage to Marshall. It's really telling that Marshall refused to settle the bet even when Ted and Stella were minutes away from walking down the aisle. It'd be a nice confirmation of The Mother being The One if Marshall is confident enough to call the bet in Lily's favor before the marriage is legally binding. And I don't think Marshall necessarily believes that Robin and Ted will eventually get together ... I think he just believes that Ted isng giving up on Robin yet.

It would've been funny if Conan was one of the maids.

Edited by mbd, Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:07 PM.

Cerpintaxt815

Cerpintaxt815

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

Bravo, HIMYM! Such a good episode, consistently funny throughout, tons of great callbacks, and what I found to be an incredibly emotional third act. I teared up a bit when Robin gave back her key and that Florence and the Machine (?) song started playing. It really sank in that Ted and Robin were done, it's like the end of an era. Honestly I think Marshall's "not yet" was just a joke about how Marshall was still being technical about the bet and waiting until it's a sure thing. But I really do think theyre done.

Also: CONAN!!

Also it's significant that Ted says the next person he says I Love You to after Robin is in fact the Mother. Guess he's not going to be having too many new serious relationships, at least not any that progress to the point of saying I Love You

tracyb

tracyb

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

I shouldn't complain, but it would have made more sense for Ted to realize that Barney is in love with Robin, and not the other way around.

Anyone else might have. But Ted was in JiltedLover mode, and wasn't thinking about Barney. He was wondering why Robin didn't love him... oh, I know! It could only be because she already loves someone else!

contessakitty

contessakitty

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:19 PM

I am sooo relieved that this isn't a return to first season Ted is in love with Robin. Instead it's a reassessment by Ted and Robin and Barney about where each fits in the scheme of things and when Robin moved out, that was the moment that Ted could really open his heart to someone else and Robin can too. This is also an episode that actually acknowledged Barney's feelings and Robin's feelings for each other and how Robin broke Barney's heart. Most of all, it finally showed Ted growing up. Robin is growing up. Barney and Marshall and Lilly were stuck in a weird regression but hopefully they'll follow along.

skateCO

skateCO

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:20 PM

Liked all the callbacks, but.... it's like this show knows that the only thing that pisses me off more than Ted/Robin and Barney In Love is Robin/Barney. Quit. It. Already.

bluezinnia

bluezinnia

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:20 PM

As much as it sometimes annoys me, I love the idea of Robin with one of the other main characters. And it could be that they are pulling one over with us with "Aunt Robin", but from the first time they clearly showed Robin and Barney together, I rooted for them. But it seems to me that Barney has been pretty baby-crazy lately. (his niece, then the uncomfortable bed conversation with Lily tonight). How can Robin end up with Barney if he's baby crazy and she's just not interested?

Edited by bluezinnia, Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:21 PM.

Cerpintaxt815

Cerpintaxt815

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:49 PM

I dunno I think Barney might be willing to give up kids for the chance to settle down with Robin. I think he, and Robin, might be content with being uncle and aunt to at least three children (plus Barney's brother's kid)

sarcasticisity

sarcasticisity

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:51 PM

I really felt like this was one of the strongest episodes in a long time. I'm glad they put Ted and Robin mostly to rest, and I definitely agree that it was time for her to move out, too. The fact that Marshall was the one to tell her that was really a great scene.

I liked the crowd of yellow umbrellas there, as well as the bit with the mother in the beginning. I've rewatched a few episodes from the early seasons and it almost felt like that.