AS-8: "O! Say, Can You Sew?" 2012.02.23

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

151 replies to this topic

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Nikita

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 9:06 PM

From Zap2it:

While at the United Nations headquarters, the designers must choose flags as inspiration for creating dresses.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

• Interests:Gardening

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 10:01 PM

Jerrell made a costume. Period. I loved when guest judge said "I cannot appreciate it." Perfect. Me neither. He should have been out. How many yards of fabric did he use on the boob area? It was just AWFUL!

Why all of a sudden does Joanne care about women being able to wear bras with the dresses? These were hardly the first backless dresses made this season. Or any season. Or worn on red carpets everywhere.

So if Mondo had just made a black dress, Isaac, you really wouldn't have dinged him for not using the colors of the flag?

Austin remade his Nancy O'Dell dress that got him auf'd in his season, IMO. I hated it then, I hate it now. It looks like the Barbie dresses I'd make by wrapping my Barbie with scraps from my mom's throw-aways. What's up with the different outfits and dissappearing mustache in his talking heads? Distracting!

Edited by CrumbyButtons, Feb 23, 2012 @ 10:04 PM.

amm

amm

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

Glad Kenley didn't win- and that she finally got told to stop making the same dang dress all the time!

Yay for Mondo :)

How is Jerrell still there?!?! Hideous and overly literal India costume Jerrell.... see you next week. Ugh.

Think Michael should have been in the bottom over Mila, actually. He doesn't even APOLOGIZE for the fact that his entire design aesthetic is ENTIRELY DERIVATIVE!! This guy is so overrated I can't stand it.

mauras

mauras

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

Such mixed feelings. On the one hand: Yay, dreary Mila and her tedious colorblocking are gone! On the other hand: I didn't actually hate her dress. I didn't love it, but it was at least interesting (and well made). Jerrell's, on the other hand, was truly horrendous, and I can't fathom why he didn't get auf'd.

This was a pretty disappointing runway, although Kenley's dress was my favorite thing she's done this season (even if it did look almost exactly like all her other dresses). And I loved Mondo's, though I have Mondo-blindness and love just about everything he does, so that probably doesn't count for anything. But still, it moved really beautifully, and I liked the use of the flag colors on the back. Everything else, though, ranged from same-old-same-old to meh. I hope next week is back on track.

fairqueen

fairqueen

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

Kenley's dress was a total replica of her dress from Season 5, Episode 3, "Bright Lights, Big City"! Does she always just repeat herself year after year after year....

This was not their best work so far for this season. Mondo's was gorgeous though. Oh to have that figure....

Lamb18

Lamb18

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 10:17 PM

Why in the world was Jerell safe over Mila? At least she had thought and design behind hers. Jerell's looked like he threw stuff at his model and what stuck became the outfit. "Indian Barbie" was a good description. It also reminded me of Cher for some reason.

Best line of the episode: "The State of Kenley has a polka dot flag." Kenley's dress was nice, but she made that dress in season 5. I believe it was for the street scene New York challenge where they were dropped off at different places and took pictures. The dress then was green and purple. She doesn't quite have the print-mixing down. Two prints with white backgrounds and a smaller colored pattern just wash each other out. The dress could have been more effective if the heart print had a deep blue background and white hearts or if the red stripes were wide and the white stripes narrow, almost horizontal pinstripes. Or both prints could have been like that.

Austin's dress also reminds me of one I've seen on the show before but I can't think of whose it is. I don't think it's one of Austin's. Possibly one of Anya's except Austin's is way more complicated than anything Anya made.

I wish Rami was still on the show. Watching this show is so calm and relaxing after Biggest Loser and Top Chef. At least people are civil to each other on this show even if they don't always like each other.

GenieinTX

GenieinTX

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 10:20 PM

Jarrell's dress was horrible. Not only was it ugly, but the neck was pulling to the side, the boobs were wonky, the stripe down the sleeve was not straight, it was so badly done! If he had left that green swag off, it might not have been so bad. He needs to edit, seriously. He should have gone home. Mila's wasn't so bad. Carry the black down to floor length and it's a winner.

Honestly, everything this week sucked except Mondo's. Michael's was horrible and badly constructed, Austin's was bad (why didn't he use the red?), Kenley's was the same as it always is.

whitless256

whitless256

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 10:21 PM

Once again I have no clue what's going on on this show with the judges. I thought for SURE that Jerell had made one ugly outfit too many and he would finally be out. And on top of that, I actually liked Mila's dress! I can't stand Mila's personality and I'm sick of her colorblocking and complaining, but I had to give her credit. I liked it. It was nowhere near as hideous as Jerell's whatever that was. How is he in the top five?!

pomme de divan

pomme de divan

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 10:25 PM

Welcome to the International House of WTF!?!

Of course Mondo won-practically by default.
Although I really did love that dress.

Some quick observations:
Mila deserved to go home for that Glen/Glenda art project monstrosity.
Jerrel. Really? A Pakastani SuperHero costume?
This should have been a double elimination.

Kenley's looked like something from a Debbie Gibson video circa 1982.
Is Michael Greek? He hardly ever mentions it.

I have decided that what Austin WEARS on the show is 100x more interesting than what he DESIGNS on the show.
Why isn't he designing menswear?

That is all. Mondo ftw.

fairqueen

fairqueen

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 10:28 PM

Oh my gosh Pomme! I totally agree. When I saw that dress it made me think of the old carnival acts of the he/she!

Pakistani SuperHero - hee

snappyjo

snappyjo

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 10:31 PM

Is Austins moustache glued on? In every other scene its on or off........

bodielovesbetty

bodielovesbetty

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 10:36 PM

Michael's dress just a white version of the black dress he did in his season (the one inspired by the Statue of Liberty). I didn't like it in black, either. He can be as one-note as Kenley.

I LOVED Kenley's little dress. Yeah, she's done it before but there wasn't much originality from anyone, even Mondo. He had a long-sleeved long dress in his collection in S8. I agreed with Isaac in that the back just looked like "I had to put the flag colors somewhere."

I wonder if the designers can figure out who's in the top and bottom from the judging session, because I sure can't tell. I have to wait for them to specifically say who's in the top and bottom.

Edited by bodielovesbetty, Feb 23, 2012 @ 10:38 PM.

Pugposse

Pugposse

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 10:45 PM

I too noticed that Kenley remade a dress from her season (which I believe won then, and I liked it better in the bold colored print). Thank goodness Mondo won; it was by far the standout to me. Not having watched the first two seasons, I am not that invested in Austin as a character, though he has put out some good fashions on All-Stars and is clearly talented. The judges' reactions to him puzzle me -- I didn't find his preppy pink twin set/pleated pants combo nearly as offensive as they did, yet thought Austin's dress tonight was by far the worst, even with Jerrell going way too costume-y. How Austin avoided the bottom two and the auf is beyond me. He dodged a really big bullet and if I were a conspiracy theorist re: a preordained outcome for the PRAS, this decision would give me a lot to ponder.

thalia ann

thalia ann

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 10:47 PM

Michael was very lucky that except for Mondo and Kenley's creations, the other dresses sucked. Any other week he would have been in the bottom three for that construction.

That said, given their rather rocky start, it always makes me smile to see how friendly Mondo and Michael are these days. They're cute as BFFs.

miss chi chi

miss chi chi

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 10:50 PM

Austin and Angela are the same person, right? I wanted Austin to go home so they could end the masquerade.

xingcat

xingcat

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 10:52 PM

Has a woman designer won any challenge at all this season? At all? I mean...isn't it totally strange that this is a men's event entirely?

So it's all men plus Kenley, and the winning dress, based on a flag, was a black jersey dress.

Honestly, give the win to Mondo because you feel bad about him losing and let's stop going through with this charade. What a joke.

Ketzel

Ketzel

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 10:55 PM

There are no words, imo, for how awful Jerrell's outfit was. All it needed was gladiator sandals and a fake cobra and his model was ready for her close-up in "Road to Calcutta - 1954."
Kenley's dress was boring. Neither her prints nor the silly burst of ruffle at one hip made it anything other than a boring, repetitive, derivative dress.
Austin is losing his ability to crank it out. I think he's just burned out on the show.
Mila's was profoundly unflattering and Michael's was a wardrobe malfunction waiting to happen.
Mondo wins by default and I wish Mila and Jerrel had both been eliminated.

Fukui San

Fukui San

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 11:00 PM

When I was mentally slotting where people were going to end up, I thought Mila was a strong second behind Mondo, with Kenley, Austin, and Michael in a three way tie for second worst behind the easy auf Jerell. Maybe the dress was inappropriate for the challenge, but it was interesting. No one's beside Mondo's was very interesting.

avecsans

avecsans

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 11:02 PM

Mondo deserved the win. Even though his dress was so plain, it was impeccably made and fit the model beautifully. But the hair and the headwrap? Not so good. Jerrell's outfit was the exact opposite. So much going on and none of it good. And the fit was awful. He should have gone home just for that. Mila's was ugly for sure but at least it was well made and I think that should count for something.

Can I just say that Austin's dress was pathetic? And shut up about how little time you had for the challenge. Everyone had the same amount of time but you managed to out-fug all but one of them. Austin's model does him no favors, either. She takes looking bored and disdainful to new heights.

I thought Kenley's outfit looked okay from a distance (relatively, of course) but up close I could see all the flaws with the seaming and the raw edges of her ruffles. Worst of all, her voice seriously grates.

Mars in Gemini

Mars in Gemini

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 11:02 PM

Two wins in a row for Mondo—that’s promising! I couldn’t help wondering what Rami or Uli, Korto or Anya would have done with those flags. Did Angela say why they chose those particular flags?

So if Kenley had actually chosen the Chilean flag and botched the job, would she really have accepted the blame? I don’t think so. It was always going to be the flag’s fault, or the thread, or whatever, because nothing is ever Kenley's fault. I wish she’d quit making the same dress. There could be a Garden of Eden challenge using only flowers and foliage, and Kenley would find a way to stick polka dots all over Eve--even if she only had mud to work with.

I’m disappointed Mike C. didn’t knock this one out of the park.

I really thought Austin had found his way back after last week, but nah, that dress seemed reminiscent of one from an earlier season? Was it his Grammy dress?

Joanna sure likes her bright chartreuse/yellow pieces, doesn’t she?

Mila really should have gone home last week. I can't even remember which country she got. Her dress here—was she going for half Jessica Rabbit, half Betty Boop? No, not even. Back in the '70s, I think there was a Cher or Tuesday Taylor doll with two different sets of hair on her head. Her outfits were half and half like that, too.

I guess the universe doesn’t hate Jerell. But that dress was way too costumey.
What was that joke Mike C. made about the model having a feta eye, hummus hair and pita what? Cute.
Kenley—I'm pretty sure it’s "She sells sea shells by the sea shore." Not "Sally."

All those braless dresses! Great for the IBTC gals and cancer survivors. Yes, I am jealous. And every time I see that Feria midnight black collection commercial, I want glossy black hair like that. But I'm stuck with auburn./sigh.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

• Interests:Gardening

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 11:08 PM

I really thought Austin had found his way back after last week, but nah, that dress seemed reminiscent of one from an earlier season? Was it his Grammy dress?

I mentioned in my earlier post that it looked to me like his Nancy O'Dell (Grammy) dress. It had the same silhoutte, same sort of mix of colors, same flowiness. He got auf'd for it then. Deservedly so, imo.

soymilk

soymilk

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 11:14 PM

I love Catherine Malandrino's accent. That is just about the only thing I loved about this episode.

smithgirl

smithgirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 11:17 PM

I hated the whole premise, but at least the designers did not take the flag idea as literally as the guest judge. Call me old fashioned, but national flags are NOT articles of clothing and a FRENCH designer turning the USA flag into a dress offends me.

FriedButter

FriedButter

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 11:22 PM

Austin's dress also reminds me of one I've seen on the show before but I can't think of whose it is.

It reminded me of a dress Burt made. I think he was auf'ed for it.

The guest judge had a strange way of speaking. I kept blinking over and over when she was talking, almost like she was startling me.

Michael's dress reminded me of that hard Christmas candy that's really gross and comes in big curly pieces that look like ribbons.

I'm not very fashion forward (more fashion backward I guess) so alot of the designs on the show have me scratching my head. I thought Mila's was really, really strange. And Kenley's too. To me it looked like she ran out of one fabric and just stitched on something she found under the table.

WTH was with Austin's little drummer boy hat?

stinamaia

stinamaia

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 11:29 PM

Two wins in a row for Mondo—that’s promising! I couldn’t help wondering what Rami or Uli, Korto or Anya would have done with those flags.

I think we know exactly what Anya would have done with the flag challenge. The same thing she did all season long.

Kenley, who I don’t like, takes a lot of flak for making the same thing again and again, but Anya got crowned for that same thing.

Maddingcrowd

Maddingcrowd

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 12:02 AM

I didn't like any of the dresses tonight-not one. Mondo deserved to win by default but nothing about his dress looked Jamaican. It is very hot in Jamaica, the clothing is usually colorful and not long-sleeved. I 'm not Kenley's market customer, but could not see anyone wanting to wear her dress. It was the usual Minnie Mouse style she always does.

I think this challenge wasn't well thought out. The contestants were supposed to use the flag as inspiration as well as the traits of the people. What about Kenley's dress said Chile? That dress could have been from anywhere. Have to agree with Isaac that Mila's dress said communism. That was one of the funniest moments. Hope they have a better challenge next week-even Michael who I adore had a terrible dress.

Edited by Maddingcrowd, Feb 24, 2012 @ 12:03 AM.

Higgie

Higgie

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 12:09 AM

Loved Mondo's dress- the panels down the back looked beaded from far away.

Jerrell's dress was SO bad- I really think he deserved to go before Mila.

Love Michael, but was disappointed in his dress this week. Greek flag colors in a toga with bow- bad.

Kenley's dress okay, but just more of the same, I hope she remembers Isac's word's of wisdom about pushing herself next week- I think the judges seriously want to see something different from her.

Austin's dress was just really, really bad, I think he should've been gone before Mila.

Mila's dress: hated the long/short, but otherwise, it looked like it was sewn very well,

pomme de divan

pomme de divan

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 12:12 AM

This season has been like watching a car accident in slow-mo.
Just give Mondo the prize & quit beating this very dead horse, please.

Any Denver TWOPers attend any of Mondo's night out/viewing parties?
If yes, please dish!

janerazor

janerazor

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 12:30 AM

I didn't hate Jerrell's costume...but you really couldn't call it a dress and it wasn't very well made (lots of wonky around the edges). I thought he should have gone before Mila.

I know colored pants are on trend, but I thought Joanna looked silly in hers when she visited the workroom. But I loved the zippered T-shirt Mondo was wearing.

tanyak

tanyak

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 12:47 AM

The problem with Mila's dress is that it had nothing to do wtih Papau New Guinea. It's in the South Pacific. She didn't have to go island-costume, but like the judges said, it felt like she would have used that design no matter what country she got.

I actually didn't mind Austin's. It looked easy and island appropriate. Definitely nothing super original, but it seemed to fit the parameters of the challenge. I was a bit confused by the harping on the colors. Were the colors he used that much different from the flag?

I like Michael's much better when he was planning to use the blue trim alongside the sparkly trim as an accent. That bow was horrid.