8-13: "Man of the House" 2012.02.20

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

25 replies to this topic

TWoP Nikita

TWoP Nikita

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 8:59 PM

From Zap2it:

The team notices behavioral changes in a marriage counselor who collapsed during a speaking engagement; House and Dominka work to convince Immigration they are a happy couple; House chooses a team leader.

Edited by TWoP Nikita, Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:47 AM.

karra

karra

Fanatic

• Interests:Writing, reading, baking.

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:57 PM

I guess we didn't think much of this episode?

I sort of liked it. The Dominica bits, anyway.

Edited by karra, Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:57 PM.

Evil_Eve

Evil_Eve

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 11:56 PM

For some reason, I really enjoy all interactions between Chase and Park. I want to see more.

Cynic

Cynic

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 1:31 AM

Nice to see Jake Weber. Always liked him on Medium.

Anyone know what Dominica said to House when he asked her about her whole "It wasn't real before, but it is now" spiel? It was something like, "Don't worry something something falling in love with you, but I will be needing something something."

yogimax

yogimax

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 1:53 AM

Anyone know what Dominica said to House when he asked her about her whole "It wasn't real before, but it is now" spiel? It was something like, "Don't worry something something falling in love with you, but I will be needing something something."

I think she said (see bolded words for the parts you missed) " Don't worry I am too smart to fall in love with you, but I will be needing a second shelf in the shower. "

090108joanna

090108joanna

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 8:22 AM

I like Dominika for comic relief, but I doubt very much that the immigration guy would change his mind so easily. And if they really now have to live together, we need to see her in future episodes, which would be fine with me, but I doubt they'll show her much. It was funny, though, to see his apartment with girly things all around and watching him have to endure listening to Amy Grant music. I think maybe he was hurt when she said she was too smart to fall in love with him, because she was believable in the room with the immigration guy, and he may have been hoping she really loved him.

redbudrose

redbudrose

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 9:41 AM

I almost forgot Wilson still worked at the hospital. I was glad to see him. When he showed up as House's neighbor I couldn't stop laughing. This episode felt a lot like it's glory days. Totally unbelievable that the immigration agent would change his mind but whatever.

caseylane

caseylane

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 11:04 AM

I got the impression that they might make House/Dominica end game. Let him finally end the show happy with Chase as the new House with Park as his Wilson.

I would actually be OK with that, espcially since I'll never get my House/Wilson ending. She seems to be strong enough to handle his crap and energetic and fun loving so she would really brighten his world.

lz1982

lz1982

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 11:04 AM

I enjoyed the episode and think Dominika is a fun character. Never thought I would hear Amy Grant on House!

Glad Chase still had a slight limp, although it will probably be gone by next week. Still, this has lasted longer than Foreman's Season 2 brain damage.

Did I mishear, or did they say the patient was 38? He looked much older to me.

karra

karra

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 12:31 PM

You didn't mishear, but the reason he looks older is because Jake Weber is pushing 50.

extracat

extracat

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 5:48 PM

I thought it was stupid that Chase was not automatically made team leader. He's got the seniority and he's the most qualified physician of the four thanks to his ridiculous status as physician of all trades in Season 4 and 5. Park and Adams shouldn't even been considered and Taub should only been considered out of courtesy. Splitting the money with House seemed a more Chase like thing to do too.

Edited by extracat, Feb 21, 2012 @ 6:36 PM.

karra

karra

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 6:02 PM

Wasn't Taub made team leader? Because he's splitting the raise with House?

extracat

extracat

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 6:37 PM

Yeah, that was supposed to say "not automatically made team leader." Taub shouldn't be team leader.

Fungi Wisdom

Fungi Wisdom

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 7:03 PM

Could have done without the 'testosterone is bad' message. To really fan wank it though, maybe the PotW theme of changing one's life was supposed to compliment this idea of House taking steps to change his life; think about Dominka's needs rather than taking Wilson's questionable legal advice to wriggle out of trouble by claiming to be the American dupe who was in love.

It would make more sense for House to be alone at the end of the series. If instead he ends up with Dominka, that's not bad either since she's smart enough, and morally ambiguous enough, to be a compatible partner to House.

Taub is right that the team leader idea is nonsense. That person will have as much sway as Foreman did in the position. Given this, it's just as legitimate for Taub to have the position, via bribe, as anyone else.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 11:02 PM

This episode was worth watching just to see House in an Elvis wig.

QueenofCups

QueenofCups

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 2:23 PM

I liked this better than the "Chase" episode last week, though that may have been because my expectations were lower. This was a pleasant filler episode. I agree with extracat that Chase should have been made team leader.

I don't actively dislike Domenika, but I find her accent grating and hope that she doesn't become too prominent. From what the immigration officer said, it sounds like Domenika will be here till the end of series. (What happens to her knish business in Atlantic City while she's playing house with House?)

Wouldn't the immigration officer have known that House was in prison for most of their married life?

Doxa

Doxa

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 3:43 PM

This episode made no sense with Taub.
It would made more sense if it was Chase the whole episode : thinking the number 2 thing was silly, growing up, finding the right diagnosis at the end. It's like the writer took Taub for Chase.
After all, Taub last week was treated like a buffon (and acting like one) by House (soda balloon, water gun...) and we're suppose to believe he is suddenly more mature ?

Edited by Doxa, Feb 22, 2012 @ 3:45 PM.

Truckhorse

Truckhorse

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 11:37 PM

If instead he ends up with Dominka, that's not bad either since she's smart enough, and morally ambiguous enough, to be a compatible partner to House.

Really agree with this. House has never had good chemistry with his love interests -- Cameron and Cuddy -- because their whole position seemed to be 'Omigod, I love him, I can change him, I can save him.' (I say this as someone who really liked Cameron, but never when she was in House-crush mode).

On the contrary, House has had great 'bromantic' chemistry with Wilson and Alvy because those characters continued to be sarcastic, imperfect and real even when they were around House. House only genuinely smiles and laughs around Wilson -- watch the scene again where House and Wilson are joking around about 'balls' in the cooking class in 'Epic Fail,' (6.2). For a second or two, it's like you're watching HL and RSL being themselves in outtakes.

I'm not shipping Wilson; my point is that I could never imagine House hanging out with Cameron or Cuddy (or Stacy, for that matter) like a friend. Their sincerity (at least in relation to him) would bore him sick. The 'fun' or date scenes with Cuddy in Season 7 never rang true to me. On the contrary, he seems to have a real simpatico with 'insincere' women, however brief their screen time. I'm thinking of the witty 'half-Jewish' job applicant in Season One, Thirteen (especially in 'The Dig'), the prostitute who helps him scam Kutner and Taub in Season Five, the prostitute who does the 'shot by an arrow' prank with him in Season Seven, and now, Dominika. I'd like to see the series end with him carrying on a low-key, imperfect, real-world thing with her, one that isn't based on the unrealistic premise of One True Love that'll heal his character flaws and leg pain both.

rocknrollchic

rocknrollchic

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 2:58 PM

This episode felt like the show sort of found its groove again. I actually loved the wife storyline and really liked their dynamic. Simple, drama-free and fun. The exact opposite of "Huddy."

Also loved Taub and how he was the only one that didn't apply for the job and then he got it... Typical House.

lz1982

lz1982

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 10:44 AM

From what the immigration officer said, it sounds like Domenika will be here till the end of series. (What happens to her knish business in Atlantic City while she's playing house with House?)

Princeton to Atlantic City is about 90 miles. I guess it's possible she's commuting at least part-time. But more likely we're supposed to ignore that.

SnarkySheep

SnarkySheep

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 9:07 AM

I'm a little fuzzy on the details at this point, but why did House marry Domenika in the first place? Or, DID they even give a real reason? I sure can't recall anything too solid.

Unspoiled

Unspoiled

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 2:46 PM

I think House explained to Wilson that it was economical for him to marry her--she could perform the housework and replace his, um, usual hooker companions. Wilson and Cuddy believed it was to spite Cuddy after the break-up, and I'm sure House's head was at a place where that was an added benefit for him.

SnarkySheep

SnarkySheep

Fanatic

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 5:21 PM

But...we never saw her again after that time, because she was off with some boyfriend in Atlantic City. So what was the point of that? To get under Cuddy's skin?

Zyx

Zyx

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 12:34 AM

From the recap for the episode where Domenika was introduced:

She needs a green card, and he needs a live-in maid, personal assistant, cook, masseuse, and whore. Dominica will do all of that for him four days a week, saving him about $33,000 a year, if his calculations are correct.

However, I doubt that House got his $33,000 dollars worth of services since a) she left for Atlantic City and he spent most of the year of prison and b) he didn't have sex with her after they married.

SnarkySheep

SnarkySheep

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 7:43 AM

I never actually think about it, since Chase is just Chase...but after all this hoopla with immigration in this episode, I had to wonder what his story is. Can he simply stay in the country indefinitely on the basis of a job? And more importantly, I would think that his own marriage, which failed after just half a year, would certainly have raised a few red flags for immigration. Of course he and Cameron could have proven a real relationship, having known one another well for years prior to their divorce, but still, you'd think the problem might have arisen.

Zyx

Zyx

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 10:22 AM

I think Chase probably is in the country as a landed immigrant based on his own qualifications as an educated professional with well-documented and valuable skills that contribute to the American economy. He didn't need to be married to Cameron to stay in the United States, so his divorce wouldn't affect his immigration status.

Domenika probably entered the United States as a visitor or as a student or on a short-term work visa. She didn't have any legal right to stay after her visa expired and needed to marry someone to stay in the country.