23-14: "At Long Last Leave" 2012.02.19

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

19 replies to this topic

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 7:54 PM

And so it's come to this: Episode #500. From SNPP:

The Simpsons stumble across another of those events where it seems that everybody else in Springfield knew about it in advance, but there's a reason for it this time; it's a town meeting that decides that they have had enough of the Simpsons' antics and vote to run them out of town.

ETA: The Most Meaningless Milestone of All!

"Bart's Earned a Day Off" Epic Chalkboard Gag, and an equally Epic Couch Gag. ALL of them in order to create a great collage.

"Secret Meeting Caterers." Gotta love Springfield having a business for everything.

Rabbi Krustofsky and Sideshow Bob cameos! It was great to see all the callbacks (the drunken run through the school, Bart destroying the school gym, blowing up the whale, Henrietta Hippo), and that, yes, Flanders was the lone objector to the Simpson's banishment. Who was, of course, ejected via battering ram.

"I <3 The Breakdown of Society" I also love any and all variations on the opening theme. Love Homer getting tired of watching Fox...literally.

Homer and Marge disguised as Burns and Smithers was such a great visual, much like the assassin and Burns as Homer and Marge back in the Flying Hellfish episode. Mr. Teeny as Smithers and kissing Burns (with Smithers realizing that all he needed to do was ask) was equally as great.

"Thanks for 500 shows. All we ask is you go out and get some fresh air before logging on the Internet and saying how much this sucked." That being said...WHY did everyone move out the Outlands? Homer's "Take Drugs and Shoot Things" banner? Oh right, the Simpsons mentioned that the Outlands accepted all for who they were. Also, you could take drugs and shoot things.

The writers' strategy of "Holy crap, people are actually gonna pay attention to this one, we better try for once!" seems to have paid off. Loved this one.

Edited by InvaderNorbert, Feb 19, 2012 @ 9:49 PM.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 8:33 PM

So Springfield, Ver. III?
Not as good as 400 (24 Minutes), but not bad. My favorite joke: Julian Assange's door code was 1234.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 8:45 PM

So Springfield, Ver. III?

Oddly enough, that happened in episode 200.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

• Interests:I like TV.

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 9:33 PM

Okay, I'll be the first one to say it: "Do you want me to spray you with my Jerk Off?" Heh.

I also cackled at 1-2-3-4.

Oh, and "My last words are going to be, I can outrun that lion!"

rem581

rem581

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 9:58 PM

"That was an inside bone!"

I really enjoyed this episode.

stonehaven

stonehaven

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 11:21 PM

I don't know why but I laughed hard at Lisa's "I can go to the planetarium and not inhale second hand marijuna smoke!"

Slade347

Slade347

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 11:26 PM

I loved the little call back to Homer sounding like Walter Matthau.

The town's way of dealing with Flanders' objection was great.

Loved that they described Lisa's environmental crusades as mostly inexpensive, but annoying.

Fun episode.

Edited by Slade347, Feb 19, 2012 @ 11:28 PM.

TDI Ashley

TDI Ashley

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 12:54 AM

First really great episode in a long time. I enjoyed this one from start to finish.

I have to wonder why Abe, who was right there with the Simpsons, wasn't booted from town, too, though?

And I was floored that even Patty and Selma didn't seem to care that their own sister was getting exiled.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 1:34 AM

And I was floored that even Patty and Selma didn't seem to care that their own sister was getting exiled.

She's faithfully married to Homer. She knew what she signed up for.

Also, I think we can assume that any dissenters would've ended up like Flanders.

quangtran

quangtran

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 3:01 AM

Even though the show was asking for it, I have no qualms about posting on the internet the this episode sucked. The plotting was a huge mess and the jokes generally didn't land.

Submarine

Submarine

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 3:07 AM

This was kind of a more skillful interpretation of the Simpson's Movie plot. On the other side of the coin, this is another recycled plot line. "The Simpsons are kicked out of town". Overall, I've been impressed by the direction of the Simpsons this season. There were many notable moments.

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 4:31 PM

Is anyone else pretending that The Outlands were Springfield A from Trash of the Titans? I also liked the Bart's Gyrocopter from Mad Mad Beyond Thunderdome.

Edited by CantThinkUpName, Feb 20, 2012 @ 4:31 PM.

LTG

LTG

Stalker

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 3:19 PM

I thought it was a weak episode. There were a few funny moments, but the plot was too simple and slow-moving. It was all A-plot, but without any of the complexity we used to get in early season episodes that lacked a B-plot (or at least a B-plot that was more than a side gag.)

Fungi Wisdom

Fungi Wisdom

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 7:07 PM

You know it isn't a strong episode when the couch gag is the best part of it. Overall though, this season has been the best in recent memory.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 10:37 AM

I didn't pause & study the opening; did they really whip through all 500 couch gags?

beadgirl

beadgirl

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 9:24 PM

There aren't anywhere near 500 couch gags, because the get reused a lot (especially the early ones).

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 11:11 PM

Yeah, the number of couch gags are nearly half that, as about every gag was re-used at least once. I'm pretty sure that the lone exceptions are the Banksy one, the John K one, and the Live-Action one (which I DID catch in that montage).

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 9:56 AM

OK, so did they use every couch gag in the 500th episode, however many there are?

blackwing

blackwing

Stalker

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 4:38 PM

I thought it was a pretty disappointing episode. The only thing I thought was interesting was the Outlands version of the opening credits, and how things were being recreated in the Outlands, like the tire fire.

The rest of it, not all that funny. Also, Julian Assange? So very very random and a big WTF from me.

I did like the Couch Gag recap and the message at the end about complaining on the internet.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 10:45 AM

Also, Julian Assange? So very very random and a big WTF from me.

That's why I didn't watch it. After 499 episodes, I finally missed watching one.