Magic, Enchantments, & Curses: Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo

• Please log in to reply

474 replies to this topic

Camera One

Camera One

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:01 PM

Graham's magic heart was gone before he ever arrived in our world. Wouldn't it have required "new magic" from our magic-less world to put his heart back in his chest? Seems like he should have dropped dead on arrival. Unless cutting a magic lifeline isn't possible without new magic?

Maybe as long as their "soul" was intact, they were moved into our world, in a body that could be a bit different (eg. Jiminy in human form, Charming in an unwounded body, Blue Fairy as a normal human, etc.), or the same (eg. Snow White, pregnant Cinderella). Though that doesn't explain why Graham's heart being squeezed killed him in Storybrooke.

Edited by Camera One, Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:02 PM.

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 6:42 AM

Because Storybrooke isn't our world, it's a pocket universe created by the curse and linked to our world. As the ruler of the curse I suspect Regina gets a loophole.

Camera One

Camera One

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 12:09 AM

So there was the last magic bean, and now the last enchanted tree. What was up with Fairy Tale Land... were they headed for an environmental disaster destroying all their magical natural resources?

so original

so original

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 2:23 AM

There's the lake with the siren, too. At least I think it's gone; I haven't seen the episode in awhile.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 10:04 AM

Heh, I guess there eventually has to be a last magic whatever or wouldn't EVERYTHING be enchanted? The forks, the doorknobs, the birds, the bees.

oldandnewfirm

oldandnewfirm

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 9:53 PM

As the Blue Fairy promised, ours is a world without magic-- or at least it was until Rumplestiltskin created his curse. His curse was so powerful that it not only hurled an entire realm through time and space and created Storybrooke, it also tore a hole between our worlds. Through this hole, the curse has access to the magic that flows in the universe from which the Enchanted Lands originated, and it's this magic that allows it to sustain itself and to power certain magical items (as determined by Regina) during the twenty-eight years between Storybrooke's creation and Emma's arrival.

Part of sustaining itself includes maintaining the barrier around Storybrooke, which keeps both its residents and the magic that powers from the town from entering the outside world. This explains why August was able to live in our world for twenty-eight years without issue. Yes, his human existence is conditional on him being "good," but that condition is enforced by magic. No magic, no punishment, and so for August all is well.

Or at least all is well until Emma shows up. If the curse is a fortress, then Emma is a battering ram. By choosing to stay in Storybrooke she puts the first crack in the curse, and that crack allows magic to seep through, find August, and realize that someone has been very naughty. And August, realizing that he's finally suffering the consequences of neglecting his duty, rushes to find Emma before its too late.

Now the question becomes, why is August reverting to wood, but Archie, for example, isn't turning back into a cricket?

For starters, let me say that I don't think August's condition has anything to do with the curse-- like Emma, because he escaped the realm before the curse took hold he is immune to its effect. His reverting to wood is not a result of him "losing his happy ending," which is a condition unique to those within the curse. His reverting to wood is a result of him breaking the terms the Blue Fairy put in place in order for him to remain human, which the magic that escaped into our world is now enforcing.

But if Emma is breaking the curse, why isn't Archie sprouting feelers? My theory is that the curse, rather like the human body, prioritizes what systems will receive the most resources in an emergency. And for the curse, the most important system would be the one that maintains the facade that allows Storybrooke and its residents to blend in with our world. It wouldn't do to have a bunch of fourteenth century castles sprouting up in the middle of Maine, after all. With that in mind, I think that as Emma continues to break down the curse, it will redirect more and more of its energy to maintaining its facade until she shatters it entirely.

So there's my thoughts on the nature of the curse and how it affects August. A bit long-winded I know, but I've been thinking about it for a few days.

Also, I think August needs Emma to believe so that she can get everyone else to believe-- namely, the Blue Fairy. Because once Blue believes, she can use her magic to reverse the effects of his condition. Now that I think about it, that's a point in the "The Blue Fairy doesn't have her memory" column, because if she did, he'd have implored her to help him live.

Edited by oldandnewfirm, May 2, 2012 @ 9:58 PM.

funnybia

funnybia

Channel Surfer

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 11:00 PM

Archie is being affected by the curse. The curse made him revert to his original, non-magical form: human. The same goes for Ruby, who's original form is also human. No magic means no magic, meaning that the magic that turned Red into a werewolf and Jiminy into a cricket is no longer present in Ruby and Archie. In this way, we can assume that Pinochio, had he stayed, would have turned back into his original form: a puppet, only without magic: a lifeless puppet. In other words, Geppetto, interestinlgy enough, was right(in a kinda selfish way, but still). Whether pinochio would turn back into a real boy because of Emma's magic, I don't know. I don't expect Archie to turn into a cricket or Ruby to go "bad ass" during the full moon. We can also assume that Geppetto's puppet (or doll) parents, since they didn't turn back into humans, are infact dead and we all know that the curse can't bring back the dead. Those two dolls are about as magic as an ordinary doll.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 11:08 PM

So how does anyone think Henry's book comes in to play? Who wrote it? How did August know to call Rumpelstiltskin 'Papa' and what the blade looked like and how to use the summons call for the Dark One? Those all happened centuries before Pinocchio and Pinocchio was only alive a short while - not to mention a very young boy. It seems like he knows a lot about the book.. and how to recreate matching pages, but it seems unlikely that he would have known enough to create it originally.

oldandnewfirm

oldandnewfirm

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 11:09 PM

Archie is being affected by the curse. The curse made him revert to his original, non-magical form: human. The same goes for Ruby, who's original form is also human. No magic means no magic, meaning that the magic that turned Red into a werewolf and Jiminy into a cricket is no longer present in Ruby and Archie. In this way, we can assume that Pinochio, had he stayed, would have turned back into his original form: a puppet, only without magic: a lifeless puppet.

I'm not arguing that Archie or Ruby aren't being affected by the curse. They are, and that's why they're human. What I'm saying is that Emma's weakening of the curse isn't affecting them the way it's affecting August because August's condition is a side-effect of her breaking the curse, but it isn't directly caused by the curse itself. I doubt anyone under the curse's influence will regain their Enchanted Lands forms until the curse is completely broken, or shortly prior to it being so.

So how does anyone think Henry's book comes in to play? Who wrote it? How did August know to call Rumpelstiltskin 'Papa' and what the blade looked like and how to use the summons call for the Dark One? Those all happened centuries before Pinocchio and Pinocchio was only alive a short while - not to mention a very young boy. It seems like he knows a lot about the book.. and how to recreate matching pages, but it seems unlikely that he would have known enough to create it originally.

For the moment I'm still betting on the book being a creation of the Blue Fairy-- perhaps it was part of the final preparations she made before the curse took hold. So far she's the only one besides Rumple himself who's been around long enough to know the intimate details of the Dark One curse and how Rumplestiltskin came by it.

As for how Pinocchio knew the Dark One tale which, along with the bulk of Rumplestiltskin's back story does not appear to be featured in the book-- I'm not so sure. If Blue has her Storybrooke memories, that's the easiest. But if she doesn't, then there has to be someone on the outside who knows. Bae is the only candidate for that so far. The question is, would he hand someone the keys to his father's undoing ?

Edited by oldandnewfirm, May 2, 2012 @ 11:18 PM.

RTS390

RTS390

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 3:07 AM

I personally think that a lot of the questions about the curse in general will never be answered. I think that some things are just not answerable. Even by the writers themselves. My perspective on it is kind of like The Monkey's Paw. Some things can be held to the letter while other things are very vague or even unanswerable because that's just the way it is. I think if anybody is expecting to get all the answers they are only fooling themselves. If you need a for instance, I reference you to the TV series LOST to which our show runners came from. Need I say more???

So let's examine what we know about Boothe/Pinocchio. He was a wooden puppet. The Blue Big Boob Fairy changed him into a real boy stating that he could stay that way as long as he was unselfish, truthful and brave. The Blue Big Boob Fairy told Gepetto that his chances of going into the curse didn't look very good for him remaining a real boy. He came to this side through the wardrobe still a real boy not under the curse just like Emma isn't. He can leave Storybrooke same as Emma. Twenty eight years after leaving baby Emma and her deciding to stay in Storybrooke he is blessed with a severe pain in his leg at 8:15 the same exact time Emma decides to stay in Storybrook.. He comes to storybrooke and gets the book and adds his story to it because it wasn't in it. (To me that means Rumpelstiltskin's story might not be there either) His leg may or may not be completely wooden. As far as we know right at this minute he is the only one to see it. So the one thing we do know is that when Emma decided to stay is when the leg started turning to wood.

Now Jefferson said that Emma had brought magic to Storybrooke. At 8:15 he was for some reason able to leave his house that before then was unable to do. I would also venture to say that his remark was true or else he would have been found dead or damn close to it outside by the hat, because ain't nobody just running off after a fall like that. So putting two and two together we can be certain that Emma does have magic, and this magic is for some reason turning Boothe back into Pinocchio the wooden puppet. Now my thinking that the reason for this is because had he come through like the others he would have wound up being a wooden puppet just like he was before The Big Boob Blue Fairy changed him into a real boy. So now it is time for him to pay the price for the magic that made him a real boy. As for how Emma can help him I don't really know other then her believing will somehow make him better. Upon rereading what I just wrote I don't really see if it will help or just make things worse. It took me a long time to write so I am posting it anyways.....

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 5:55 AM

Those two dolls are about as magic as an ordinary doll.

I do at least hope his parents are dead or unconscious/unaware. Because elsewise, talk about a living hell. But if they are just ordinary dolls, then why did Rumpelstiltskin want them in the first place?

Corydora

Corydora

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 6:25 AM

Tzigone, I think he is just creepy like that (wanting to keep the dead dolls). He likes to keep the results of his spells. I have just found this thread by the way, and I am going to read the whole things before I start speculating. You guys are so smart!

Gin and Tonic

Gin and Tonic

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:19 AM

I personally think that a lot of the questions about the curse in general will never be answered. I think that some things are just not answerable. Even by the writers themselves. My perspective on it is kind of like The Monkey's Paw. Some things can be held to the letter while other things are very vague or even unanswerable because that's just the way it is.

I agree. I think that the writers have some basic rules/ideas, but by and large magic will act in whatever way the plot requires. It's not really consistent. Jiminy reverts back to a human because of a lack of magic, but he's the same age as when he was turned into cricket so some of the affects of the original enchantment are intact. Magical beings like the genie and Ruby (who IIRC was born a werewolf) are turned human, but apparently there was a good chance if not outright certainty that Pinocchio would turn into wood and that it would kill him.

Because once Blue believes, she can use her magic to reverse the effects of his condition. Now that I think about it, that's a point in the "The Blue Fairy doesn't have her memory" column, because if she did, he'd have implored her to help him live.

But restoring her memory wouldn't restore her magic, right? Gold remembers, but comments that murder is harder without being able to turn people into a snail. I'm not sure how Regina's heart vault fits into this. You can hear part of the conversation with August and Mother Superior and it sounds to me like he says something about his body and gestures to himself. It's possible he did go to her for help, but she couldn't do anything because she doesn't have magic.

I really like the idea that the Blue Fairy created the book, but she would know all about Rumple. Why wouldn't she put him in the book?

Edited by Gin and Tonic, May 3, 2012 @ 8:20 AM.

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:39 AM

I really like the idea that the Blue Fairy created the book, but she would know all about Rumple. Why wouldn't she put him in the book?

I still honestly think Rumpelstiltskin is in the book. Henry just hadn't identified him (at the time of "The Price of Gold" - with his later "he's even worse than she is" I think he might have figured Gold out). Since we know Henry is not primarily identifying people from their mostly featureless pictures, I don't have a problem with that. Actually, I think Rumpelstiltskin has to be in the book - Jiminy's backstory (which Henry knows) doesn't work without him.

I do have one question: does Rumpelstiltskin actually, definitively, know about the book? I'd think so, but I don't actually recall evidence of that. If he did know about the book (and didn't create it), I'd think he'd want to read it, to see if it gives him any information he needs.

oldandnewfirm

oldandnewfirm

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:57 AM

But restoring her memory wouldn't restore her magic, right? Gold remembers, but comments that murder is harder without being able to turn people into a snail. I'm not sure how Regina's heart vault fits into this. You can hear part of the conversation with August and Mother Superior and it sounds to me like he says something about his body and gestures to himself. It's possible he did go to her for help, but she couldn't do anything because she doesn't have magic.

Someone pointed this out on another forum, and I clarified it further. That's what I get for theorizing at midnight!

Reading back over what I wrote, I should clarify the “get everyone to believe” thing. They need their memories back, but only because Emma won’t be able to make serious progress in breaking the curse until that’s the case. If anyone regains their full powers, I don’t think it will happen until much later in the curse breaking process, by which point Pinocchio may well be dead, as he suspected.

I think Rumplestiltskin is in the book, but only in stories where he interacts with a "good guy." I doubt his origin story, his loss of Bae, and perhaps even his relationship with Belle are in the book. Likewise, I don't think Regina appears in the book except for where she interacts with Snow or one of the other protagonists. Even the events of "The Stable Boy" are only significant because it's the first time Snow meets her.

Gin and Tonic

Gin and Tonic

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:02 AM

I still honestly think Rumpelstiltskin is in the book. Henry just hadn't identified him (at the time of "The Price of Gold" - with his later "he's even worse than she is" I think he might have figured Gold out).

I'm sure Rumple is there in bits and pieces, but I don't think much of his backstory is. If it was, Henry would know that Rumple created the curse and I don't think he's ever suggested anything like that. And I don't think he realized Gold was Rumple specifically, just that Gold was bad news. When he figures people out, they usually make it explicit. In that scene, he still called Rumple "Mr. Gold." He didn't say he figured it out, or use his fairy tale name, etc.

ETA:

I think Rumplestiltskin is in the book, but only in stories where he interacts with a "good guy." I doubt his origin story, his loss of Bae, and perhaps even his relationship with Belle are in the book. Likewise, I don't think Regina appears in the book except for where she interacts with Snow or one of the other protagonists. Even the events of "The Stable Boy" are only significant because it's the first time Snow meets her.

In terms of Rumpelstiltskin and Regina's appearances in the book, I agree. It seems like they're in there, but not featured heavily. But if the Blue Fairy wrote the book, why is that the case? It's possible that she doesn't know Regina's history, but she certainly knows a significant chunk of Rumple's. Why set up the book without that information? We might not be able to answer that question without knowing why the book was written in the first place. Was it just supposed to be a record of events? Is there perhaps a "light" and "dark" version: one that features the heroes, another villains?

If anyone regains their full powers, I don’t think it will happen until much later in the curse breaking process, by which point Pinocchio may well be dead, as he suspected.

Yes, that sounds about right. I think he's hoping that if he fulfills his promise to get Emma where she needs to be, he'll fulfill the requirements of being brave, truthful, and unselfish. Regardless of whether the Blue Fairy regains her magic, he'll go back to being a real "boy."

Edited by Gin and Tonic, May 3, 2012 @ 9:19 AM.

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:23 AM

Why set up the book without that information? We might not be able to answer that question without knowing why the book was written in the first place.

I have a response to this, but I'm not actually sure what thread it belongs on. I'm going to take a stab at on Speculation Without Spoilers.

jengtown

jengtown

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:07 AM

I think this question belongs here. Since there's a lot of discussion about Emma returning to the town bringing magic with her, what do we know about Henry and how he came to the town? Since Regina adopted him, is it just a coincidence that he's Emma's son, or was she seeking out the cursebreaker's son? Why was he able to come into the town? I'm confused about the "time" aspect of it I guess.

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:22 AM

what do we know about Henry and how he came to the town? Since Regina adopted him, is it just a coincidence that he's Emma's son, or was she seeking out the cursebreaker's son?

We know Mr. Gold "procured" Henry for Regina. If anyone knew he was Emma's son at the time of the adoption, it would have been Gold.

RTS390

RTS390

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:57 AM

I totally agree about Rumpelstiltskin being in the book. It is just not possible for him not to be there. His relationship with Belle might possibly be in there too. I don't think his whole story is there or else I believe he would be easily identified. As for Ragina though, that's a little harder to be sure about. There has to be enough about her though for Henry to believe wholeheartedly that she is the Evil Queen. He definitely knows that she inacted the curse so I would think that she shows up quite often in the book.

Now if the curse brought everybody from Fairytale Land over, where are the Ogers ant the Trolls and what have you? Is it possible that they are there but we just haven't seen them yet. Or is it that the were not close enough to Ragina that they weren't brought over??? Just me trying to over think everything.....

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:08 AM

Now if the curse brought everybody from Fairytale Land over, where are the Ogers ant the Trolls and what have you?

I would guess that they, like the fairies, were made human. I've read that the ogre present at the Queen's initial attempt to cast the curse is a maintenance man at city hall, though I didn't notice him, myself.

Despite the illogic of it such a small town, I think everyone from their world was supposed to have been brought over (Emma even made a crack about "millions cursed"). The old world was seemingly destroyed, so they're likely dead if not brought over. Unless they somehow come back? That's if the old world is actually physically reappearing now, and is not just underneath Storybrooke. But physically reappearing is what I was thinking of from the seismic activity/glass coffin reveal from "The Thing You Love The Most."

oldandnewfirm

oldandnewfirm

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:10 AM

Now if the curse brought everybody from Fairytale Land over, where are the Ogers ant the Trolls and what have you? Is it possible that they are there but we just haven't seen them yet. Or is it that the were not close enough to Ragina that they weren't brought over??? Just me trying to over think everything.....

They're there in human form. The ogre who is present the first time Regina tries to enact the curse in the Enchanted Lands is also present in Storybrooke as city hall's maintenance man.

ETA: Tzigone, you can see maintenance man in the scene where Regina is getting ready to name Sydney as the new mayor. He's standing in the hallway in blue coveralls with a few other characters who are, I assume, the rest of the creatures who were present when Regina initially tried to cast the curse.

Edited by oldandnewfirm, May 3, 2012 @ 11:12 AM.

funnybia

funnybia

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:38 PM

They're there in human form. The ogre who is present the first time Regina tries to enact the curse in the Enchanted Lands is also present in Storybrooke as city hall's maintenance man.

Hmm, that's a good point, I didn't think of that. Then I guess things revert back to their original form in a non-magical way as long as that form exists in our world. Ogres and Trolls don't exist in our world, if Jiminy wasn't origanally human and he was always a talking cricket then in Storybrooke he would be an ordinary cricket.

Speaking of Jiminy, the reason that Archie looks the same age that Jiminy looked when he turned into a cricket is because he didn't age as a cricket. The boob fairy said he'd live as long as Geppetto needed him, she didn't say he'd age during that time, and if he did he'd die beacause crickets only live up to ten weeks. Any way, immortality is usually associated with people not aging and even if Geppetto were to die, I don't think Jiminy would since dead Gepetto would still need Jiminy to look after Pinnochio.

Speaking of Jiminy and Pinnochio, when are Archie and August gonna speak to each other, should be interesting.

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 2:29 PM

I never expect to see this on the show, but I have question regarding the curse. Right now, I'm presuming that when everyone was transported to Storybrooke, they had all the knowledge they needed to function in this world: they knew what cars were, how to drive, what a microwave was, etc. But how does that affect Regina? She hasn't aged, and we don't know if she can leave Storybrooke. We do know her memories remained intact. So did she know how to flush a toilet, what a mechanic was, how it was appropriate to dress, etc. Probably she did. But the image of everyone else knowing how to function in this world and her not knowing is still rather hilarious.

Separately, I seem to recall some green around the glass coffin in "That Still Small Voice." Was it moss or other plants? Either would require sunlight. Do you think that backs up the idea that it reappeared there, or is it just unimportant set-dressing?

Edited by Tzigone, May 3, 2012 @ 2:33 PM.

RTS390

RTS390

Video Archivist

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 8:43 PM

Separately, I seem to recall some green around the glass coffin in "That Still Small Voice." Was it moss or other plants? Either would require sunlight. Do you think that backs up the idea that it reappeared there, or is it just unimportant set-dressing?

That is funny because I didn't watch the show on the first run. Then on or right after the first of the year they had that big marathon and still I only listened to the first two episodes from another room. When the third one started I went out and asked the ole lady if it was any good and she said that it was watchable. So I figured I would sit through one episode to give it a chance and wound up thinking it was pretty good. So I watched the rest and have been watching ever since. The thing is that the bastards left out one episode for some reason, and that was the one they didn't show. So I have never got to see that one.....

oldandnewfirm

oldandnewfirm

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:07 PM

This featurette clears up at least one mystery: Wonderland was, in fact, sucked in by the curse. If that's the case, then that explains the appearance of flying monkeys in some of the book's pages; it seems that the curse enveloped more realms than we first believed.

Depends on what condition the coffin was in when it was plucked from the Enchanted Lands. If Snow just left it there in the woods after her rescue, then it may well have had that moss before the curse took hold. If not, it could still have grown moss after arriving in Storybrooke, since it seemed like there was a shaft of light leading down that tunnel.

Edited by oldandnewfirm, May 3, 2012 @ 11:10 PM.

Tzigone

Tzigone

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 5:58 AM

If Snow just left it there in the woods after her rescue, then it may well have had that moss before the curse took hold. If not, it could still have grown moss after arriving in Storybrooke, since it seemed like there was a shaft of light leading down that tunnel.

I don't know how long moss takes to die, so you may be right about it being there all along (if it was unaging, too, and couldn't die for lack of food), but the shaft of light only came from when they removed the covering (that Pongo led them to).

Corydora

Corydora

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 12:42 PM

I never expect to see this on the show, but I have question regarding the curse. Right now, I'm presuming that when everyone was transported to Storybrooke, they had all the knowledge they needed to function in this world: they knew what cars were, how to drive, what a microwave was, etc. But how does that affect Regina? She hasn't aged, and we don't know if she can leave Storybrooke. We do know her memories remained intact. So did she know how to flush a toilet, what a mechanic was, how it was appropriate to dress, etc. Probably she did. But the image of everyone else knowing how to function in this world and her not knowing is still rather hilarious.

Both of those are good questions and I decided a while back that I would go insane if I pondered them too hard. When little Pinocchio saw a plane he freaked, so why are the citizens not worshiping the tv sets as Gods or something? I do see that not many folks drive cars, but it would seem that someone would have a horse or two. Pongo seems to be the only dog there. Regina should have a cat to stroke while she says evil things but, no cats.

The well that Booth took Emma to for a drink goes down into that lake where the Siren was; I'm pretty sure of that. Regina had to go down into the earth to get to her heart vault. Yet her apple tree is above ground which would mean she lives in her original palace. Also, the cabin where Belle's father was held, where MM and David went to escape the rain, where Rumple met Booth and where I suspect Kathryn was held is above ground. I figured it was where Snow and the dwarves lived so why is it still above ground? This is one smart curse that can handle so many details at once.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 1:34 PM

Rumpelstiltskin may not be in Henry's book by name. In the episode 'Red Handed' Granny mentions getting Red's special hooded cape from (I can't remember the exact word she used) sorcerer, wizard.. that could have been Rumpelstiltskin. So, in the book he may not be mentioned by name but as a sorcerer/wizard/imp/funny little man as he is in some traditional fairy tales.

Another thing I find interesting is that August/Pinocchio came to Storybrooke prepared to alter Henry's book.. so he knew about it somehow.. although how could he have known about many of the stories in that book, including Charming being injured putting Emma into the wardrobe? Had August/Pinocchio visited Storybrooke before?

I agree with RTS390 about not being able to pin down the exact mechanisms/time of the curse; it would be futile. I think it does whatever it has to (self-course correcting) in order to maintain itself.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 2:31 PM

See part of me thinks we've seen the flaws/cracks in the curse and that part of that is the objects being all out of sync. So we have wrong prices and right prices, old tech and new all intertwined because well the curse didn't get that kinda intricate detail down or only progressed items as absolutely needed to maintain the town. And perhaps things advance faster the longer Emma is there.

There's no reason why anyone other than Rump and Regina would find our modern technology strange. They have ready made backstories (that go back to their childhoods apparently according to the writers at Wondercon but they're still a bit not-detailed). that would allow them to function with modern stuff.

But there's a possibility that it endowed even Regina and Rumpel with some backstory as well, they just know it's not true unlike everyone else. I mean, you'd think they'd have to have something to say when people ask where they went to school and where they grew up and who their parents were, blah blah. Maybe prior to Emma no one asked but I assume something had to go on Henry's adoption paperwork.

But now that the curse is practically a sentient being of its own (or maybe more like an avatar of Regina's that she controls only remotely, that otherwise is running its own program), I do kinda feel like what self-preservation can it do to guard against Emma? I mean we keep saying, kill Emma, no curse-breakage (and would the damage she's done to it revert or just would it remain in this partially broken state until all the Storybrooke residents age and die I guess.) But does Regina have to fight Emma or can Regina once she knows who Emma really is, fight Emma via her curse avatarishness by affecting her perception of the town?

Edited by Aliasscape, May 4, 2012 @ 2:33 PM.