Magic, Enchantments, & Curses: Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo

• Please log in to reply

487 replies to this topic

killersharky

killersharky

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 05:22 AM

I wonder if Enchanted Forest magic is like Harry Potter magic where it's more of a hereditary thing that's in your genes. It would explain how people without magic could have a child with it or vice versa as well as potentially explaining the level of power.

Also can someone explain a detail to Hook's curse? Can he tell Emma that the witch has cursed him or does he have to keep it from her as part of the curse? I'm just wondering if there's anything stopping him from telling her or if doing so will automatically make Zelena lash out and punish him or Emma in some way.

katusch

katusch

Channel Surfer

Posted Yesterday, 06:41 AM

Also can someone explain a detail to Hook's curse? Can he tell Emma that the witch has cursed him or does he have to keep it from her as part of the curse? I'm just wondering if there's anything stopping him from telling her or if doing so will automatically make Zelena lash out and punish him or Emma in some way. 

It's not part of the curse. Hook even first says, he's going to tell Emma and she would defeat Zelena. Zelena says, she would send the Dark One to kill Emma before he could tell her, but Hook caught that as a bluff, realizes out of whatever reason, Zelena can't kill Emma. But then Zelena threatens to kill everyone Emma loves, if Hook is not going to take Emma's powers away by kissing her.

Edited by katusch, Yesterday, 06:42 AM.

ShadowFacts

ShadowFacts

Loyal Viewer

Posted Yesterday, 09:51 AM

I wonder if Enchanted Forest magic is like Harry Potter magic where it's more of a hereditary thing that's in your genes. It would explain how people without magic could have a child with it or vice versa as well as potentially explaining the level of power

That's a good guess.  It would answer a lot of questions neatly.  What I would like is some exploration of not just origins or rules of magic, but the effects of it.  Beyond the obvious.  It was touched on a bit with Regina inhaling some magic vapors from a spell book and Gold warning her about it being hard on a person.  And Regina swore it off briefly for Henry.  I'd like to see someone, probably Emma, evaluate the good and bad of it, and maybe hear from people without it who are sick of being victimized.  To me that's more interesting than exact mechanics of it, etc.  And definitely more interesting than curses, reverse curses, potions, and spells from the latest big villain.  That just gets old.

Shanna Marie

Shanna Marie

Stalker

Posted Yesterday, 02:20 PM

I wonder how much of Emma's magic had to do with her DNA being essentially woven into the curse. Didn't Rumple drop hairs from her parents into his vial of True Love potion? And wasn't that the vial Emma retrieved from Maleficent that he then swiped from her and used to bring magic back to Storybrooke? Or am I getting all the various vials and potions on this show confused? We did see that there must have been some element of magic in her from what happened when Henry was born, but that could have been the effect of a person from a world with magic giving birth to a child fathered by another person from a world with magic in a world without magic -- even a very "ordinary" person from the Enchanted Forest might be high on the magical scale for our world. We didn't see Emma actually use power until Rumple dropped the potion into the well and brought back magic. As I recall, her name was also somehow put into the curse, since it was very important to Rumple to learn it. It seems it was unintended, since he was surprised by that effect, but her role in the making of that potion and in retrieving that potion, plus her own background may have added up to give her an extra whammy of the like not seen before. She's the Savior because of True Love, and her magic comes from being the Savior.

WalkSoftly

WalkSoftly

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 02:28 PM

It seems that almost anyone can learn to *use* a bit of magic, we've seen Snow and Belle use magical objects, for example, but it is fewer the people who actually *possess* magic within their very being, fewer still that have a natural inborn gift for it (Emma, Zelena). I have no idea if that is supposed to be genetic or otherwise. It wouldn't surprise me if an unintentional side effect of being the savior of a great curse might embue Emma with magic.

Edited by WalkSoftly, Yesterday, 02:33 PM.

scarynikki12

scarynikki12

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 08:00 PM

I wonder if Enchanted Forest magic is like Harry Potter magic where it's more of a hereditary thing that's in your genes. It would explain how people without magic could have a child with it or vice versa as well as potentially explaining the level of power

Possibly, but the family members of Emma that we've met so far (Snow, Charming, Leo, Eva, MamaCharming, James) don't show a single trace of magical ability.  Rumpel has magic because he became the Dark One and Pan had magic because he gave himself to Neverland, but neither of them were shown to be born with those abilities.  Likewise, Milah and Neal showed zero magical ability.  On the other hand, Cora, Regina and Zelena all showed magical abilities that made Rumpel want to work with them.  

I've talked myself into circles, so I'm now thinking that it might be a combo of what's been said already: that for some there's something in their gene pool, for others it must be given, and for Emma it's due to her being a True Love baby AND having her DNA woven into Rumpel's curse.  Maybe True Love babies, regardless of commonality, all have magical potential and, like with Emma, some outside force must be the catalyst for said potential to be realized?  So, little Alexandra is a True Love baby of Cinderella and her Prince, but there wasn't an outside force that allowed her to have actual magic rather than potential.  Likewise, baby number 2 for Snow and Charming may very well have magical potential like Emma, but will never have that catalyst that turns the potential into reality.  

Or, maybe the showrunners just don't pay attention to what they've written.  I'm going with Door Number Three until otherwise proven.

killersharky

killersharky

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 10:03 PM

So maybe Emma is like Hermione, a wizard born to Muggle parents. Regina and Selena got it from Cora so they're a magical family like the Malfoys.

And then perhaps there's a magic loophole. The daggar and Neverland would be examples of this.

I'm assuming the writers haven't thought of it in these terms but it was the easiest way I could explain.

EllyM

EllyM

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 10:09 PM

Snow and Charming are magic because of their love, though. Rumple bottled what they had (hair) for an ingredient of a spell powerful enough to bring magic back to Storybrooke.

Cora didn't have magic until she convinced Rumple to teach her, so I don't know how much potential she had that wasn't her boundless wrathful rage--unless that's always the only potential (strong emotion, that is.)