11-10: "Hollywood Round, Part III" 2012.02.15

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

80 replies to this topic

siddalee

siddalee

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 16, 2012 @ 2:56 PM

How cool is it that Katharine McPhee's mom managed to get a job out of her daughter's appearance on the show? Why did I never hear about this before?

We saw her last year working with some of the kids in Vegas although they didn't make much of a deal out of it. She has *always* given me the creeps and that didn't change last night.

Spazlor is back?!

In triplicate. PhilSquared, Reed and Creighton all have varying degrees of very Hicksian tics and spasms. I loved me some Taylor because I loved, loved, loved his voice but it took some effort to tolerate the rest of that package. I don't know if I have the energy to work that hard again. I think I'm just going with the girls this year. I LOVE Skylar and Jen and am very interested in seeing what Shannon, Erika, Elise and Hallie bring to the table.

Shiny Objects

Shiny Objects

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 16, 2012 @ 3:02 PM

I wonder if all the contestants really did catch the same stomach bug from tent girl, or if it was a combination of stomach bug + nerves + psychologically making themselves sick due to all the other sickness around them.

proserpina65

proserpina65

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2012 @ 3:46 PM

Oh, and the reason Jennifer wasn't in that group sing jam session is because she can't sing....

She can't act either. Holding up the phone and woodenly talking about getting a phone call? And ... scene.

In her defense, she can act (I saw "Out of Sight" so I know she can), but here? Maybe it's the level of material, or maybe hanging out with Sean Combs and Ben Affleck screwed her up.

I wonder if all the contestants really did catch the same stomach bug from tent girl, or if it was a combination of stomach bug + nerves + psychologically making themselves sick due to all the other sickness around them.

Tent Girl's symptoms all seemed to be respiratory. It was Barfing Into Garbage Bag Girl who appears to have started the stomach bug. At least according to the magic editors at AI.

slowpoked

slowpoked

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2012 @ 3:53 PM

In her defense, she can act (I saw "Out of Sight" so I know she can),

Maybe that's an abberation and not the rule. ;)

I loved me some Taylor because I loved, loved, loved his voice but it took some effort to tolerate the rest of that package.

I can't tolerate the package either, but I do agree he's got decent pipes. For as much as I don't like the guy (was rooting for McPhee in their season), I downloaded The Right Place because it's just such a beautiful song and Taylor was awesome in it.

It's just really tiring to see contestants be all like "Look at me, I'm spazzing, I'm acting all weird, I'm bending over backwards and forwards, I'm flailing my arms all around, so that means I must be singing with passion and soul and this song is consuming every piece of me!" That's how I feel watching Philsquared and Reed, and Casey to some extent last season.

Erika, Elise and Hallie bring to the table.

I would like to see more Erika too. Her whole vibe reminds me of the early Kelly Clarkson.

liese

liese

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 16, 2012 @ 4:01 PM

Based on what I just watched I am still a little pissed that Travis Orlando was not given a chance to advance to this round.
The little boy that I didn't like at first because he reminded me of that smug little brat Astro (except he was a singer) has totally changed my mind. I do think he is just too young but the kid can sing.

I have also changed my mind about Reed Grimm. I liked him but I really didn't feel he was taking this serious. But now I agree he is really good. I do wonder if he has ADHD as other have suggested. So funny I was pissed when I was reading the recaps and all the comparisons to Casey Abrams because I thought Casey was wonderful. A true musician. But by the time he actually sat down at the drums and started I had to nod my head in agreement.

With Travis not in the competition my hopes are resting with Heejun. That kid is freaking adorable. He may not be the best singer but he is adorable!! All the votes I would have sent Travis' way are now earmarked for Heejun!!

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2012 @ 4:03 PM

Are the contestants sharing rooms in the provided hotel ?

People in close quarters and or contact will easily spread viruses and bacteria.

Poor sleep and a poor diet doesn't help the immune system.

We often see more sick people around the holiday times because lots of people interacting indoors and spreading germs.

DebB

DebB

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2012 @ 4:47 PM

I agree with the poster saying that Johnny Keyser continuing to sing after Imani Handy fainted was the height of creepiness. How can someone possibly think that it is the right thing to do to continue singing when someone has just fainted, obviously needs medical attention, and could be in very serious condition?

I'm inclined to agree. It wasn't his shining moment. That said, I did wonder if it was an attack of nerves on his part rather than just gross callousness. He might have been so surprised that he wasn't sure what to do. Wrong choice, but maybe understandable.

I don't like Heejun. Giving that apology and then refusing to shake Cowboy's hand was a dick move. I don't like Cowboy, either. I think he sort of got what he had coming - his whole group seemed to hate him. That said, I doubt we'll see any more of either of them after next week.

Can I just echo the confusion about how the group members were supposed to "help" each other? Were they supposed to tell the other singers the lyrics while they were on stage? Stop everything and give a lecture on the correct lyrics? Just take over the whole stage and make the performance about themselves? I noticed the judges never clarified what they meant when they kept telling the people to "help" each other. That's because they talk with so little thought that they can repeat the same thing over and over without it ever occuring to themselves that it makes no sense. Am I really expected to respect their opinion about anything?

Edited by DebB, Feb 16, 2012 @ 4:51 PM.

siddalee

siddalee

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 16, 2012 @ 5:02 PM

Can I just echo the confusion about how the group members were supposed to "help" each other? Were they supposed to tell the other singers the lyrics while they were on stage?

I think they were thinking the group members should have softly started singing the lyrics behind them to remind the lead singer where to pick up. It's not an uncommon tool, but the problem is if the group didn't come together then the other kids weren't on the ball enough to know where they were either.

This conversation reminds me of Jessica Furney being the only one in her group to remember the words to Sweet Escape. I heard she tried out again - has anyone spotted her in the crowd? I just wonder why they're hiding her and Hollie Cavanaugh and Deandre Brackensick and Alex Wong among others. I thought this was going to be billed as the year of the comeback but it hasn't happened.

Cherry Wire

Cherry Wire

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2012 @ 5:27 PM

Heejun also failed to apologize to the Dallas Cowboys. Shame on you, Heejun.

Isn't a stomach flu something you can get over quickly? I could have sworn they mentioned that one guy (in the cop's group) only had symptoms for a couple hours. Seems different from having an actual respiratory-type flu or cold bug, which could knock you out for a week. Imagine going through all of Hollywood week with that.

slowpoked

slowpoked

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2012 @ 5:37 PM

Can I just echo the confusion about how the group members were supposed to "help" each other? Were they supposed to tell the other singers the lyrics while they were on stage?

I think they were thinking the group members should have softly started singing the lyrics behind them to remind the lead singer where to pick up. It's not an uncommon tool, but the problem is if the group didn't come together then the other kids weren't on the ball enough to know where they were either.

I wish TPTB had just stuck with the hard rule that they had put in place around Season 5 or 6 that if the contestants forget the lyrics, they're out automatically. I don't know exactly how a groupmate can help another one out without completely wrecking the whole performance anyway. Maybe there's a huge difference in a group dynamic compared to solo, but I can't understand how some of these contestants were able to sing OK and remember all the words in their solos during the first day of Hollywood Week and then completely butcher their parts in group day.

From a couple of pages back:

Call me heartless... but "thems the breaks" in the harsh reality of entertainment. Stuff happens... sickness, accidents, bad weather... That's life.

I tend to agree. It really sucks especially if you're one of the strong contenders early on and not just a marginal one, like tent girl was for me. Bad luck just really strikes sometimes. Some overcome them, some don't. I remember Syesha Mercado was ordered on full vocal rest during Hollywood Week and was only communicating through writing on paper. Can't remember the specifics now, but she did overcome that all the way to a top 3 finish.

Edited by slowpoked, Feb 16, 2012 @ 5:42 PM.

spacecitymarc

spacecitymarc

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2012 @ 5:38 PM

It's "Hirsh." Jen HIRSH, without a 'c.' As someone burdened with this particular surname (no relation, though), I cringed halfway through this thread when everyone started using the devil's spelling and it took over. HIRSH. No 'c.'

In the meantime, I really liked her (no relation!), but I can't help but think that she's a very good singer of the type that will get absolutely zero traction from the voting public.

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2012 @ 5:48 PM

I fell asleep before the last eliminations (of the four groups). Is Cowboy going to Vegas?

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2012 @ 10:01 PM

Crap. Looks like Cowboy has now made it a step closer. We have to see what next week brings for him.

zenner

zenner

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2012 @ 11:57 PM

Cowboy is borderline autistic, I'm guessing. Doesn't get the social signals properly.

Dragon Suplex

Dragon Suplex

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 17, 2012 @ 1:17 AM

Phil squared is a good entertainer - loved the "marching" as he played the guitar - but he's definitely not one of the better voices.

Shades of Dave Matthews - yikes!

I just wonder why they're hiding her and Hollie Cavanaugh and Deandre Brackensick and Alex Wong among others. I thought this was going to be billed as the year of the comeback but it hasn't happened.

The producers are focusing more on people passing out and heaving.

Shannon Magrane was doing the Power Squat which I remember Pia Toscano doing a lot and which kind of bugs me. It's not attractive and the powerful sound they make doesn't impress me 'cause they had to squat to do it.

LucyJJane

LucyJJane

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 17, 2012 @ 4:02 AM

Groovesauce was awesome. If they don't all end up making it through, they should totally form a band together.

I was thinking that same thing! I was like, man if they don't make it through they can totally moonlight as an acapella group.

Re: Johnny Keyser fainting-gate: a friend of mine from high school is actually friends with Johnny from when she lived in Florida, and I creeped on his facebook page, and he was actually upset about what happened, and that people were ripping him eighty new assholes. Not that I'm defending him, just saying he at least seemed to showed some remorse over it.

Hate Phil squared. The world already has a Dave Matthews. We don't need another one.

Was Reed Grimm drunk?

In the meantime, I really liked her (no relation!), but I can't help but think that she's a very good singer of the type that will get absolutely zero traction from the voting public.

Yes I agree. I like her as well but there's nothing about her that screams "vote for me!" She's very bland and forgettable a la Katherine McPhee. She's one of those "Oh-yeah-what's-her-name" types.

I should have known Typhoid Tent Amy was cannon fodder. I really liked her smoky voice, but the amount of coverage she was getting should have been a dead giveaway. Their performance was AWFUL. I mean, it was like middle school star search bad.

I love the song Broken Strings but it's like Hit Em Up Style....its one of those songs where, I have no idea why they sing it. It's a pretty unremarkable song that doesn't really showcase vocals.

By the way, I want to know whose idea it was for the "choreography" of like HALF the groups to consist of everyone starting with their backs to the judges and turning around one by one? WTF...98 Degrees called...they want their boy band moves from 1997 back.

So I had no idea that everyone's favorite singing cop, America's sweetheart Alisha Bernhardt was from my own hometown of Indianapolis! My new mission after class tomorrow is to go trolling around the city trying to find her beat. I'm gonna roll all my windows down and blast Joy to the World, but obey the speed limit cause that bitch is fucking scary.

*Edited because I'm pulling an all nighter and apparently "good" means "bad" at this hour of the night lol

Edited by LucyJJane, Feb 17, 2012 @ 4:39 AM.

WileyCoyote

WileyCoyote

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2012 @ 7:17 AM

So let me get this straight. They cut that girl for "nerves", when she collapsed because of the Idol Flu?

Were the judges NOT informed of the sickness going around?

Meanwhile, Richie Bring The Law has to be one of the worst people ever on this show. All the worst qualities of Scotty Whatshiswinner, but also a thousand others.

What would it have taken for the producers to actually postpone the damn Hollywood rounds in recognition of the fact that a virus was decimating the pool of auditioners?

Are you kidding? They probably deliberately introduced the virus [picture Uncle Nigel sneaking into their hotel rooms pouring ickyness of out a test tube onto their pillows].

How cool is it that Katharine McPhee's mom managed to get a job out of her daughter's appearance on the show? Why did I never hear about this before?

To be fair, based on what we see of her later on (in Vegas week)... she actually seems to be qualified.

snorca

snorca

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 17, 2012 @ 9:23 AM

Yes I agree. I like her as well but there's nothing about her that screams "vote for me!" She's very bland and forgettable a la Katherine McPhee. She's one of those "Oh-yeah-what's-her-name" types.

I disagree. From what I've seen, Jenn HIRSH seems warm, approachable, down to earth and can wipe the floor vocally with McPhee. Of course, my longstanding, burning hatred of McPhee may be coloring my opinion!

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2012 @ 10:52 PM

Jen Hirsch was yelling at me. I don't like her.

There are some very average singers left in this competition. I'm looking at you Cowboy. What the hell is wrong with that guy.

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 2:23 PM

So let me get this straight. They cut that girl for "nerves", when she collapsed because of the Idol Flu?

I don't think she had the Idol Flu. She never said anything about havign a fever, feeling ill the night before, throwing up or anything that could be related to the flu. My guess is that she was too nervous to eat or drink and she fainted due to the lack of nourishment and nerves.

This is no different then what happened to the young woman on the second day of auditions. And probably more then a few others.

There were people who were sick with the flu. There were also people who did not take care of themselves and passed out because of that.

I have no problem with the cutting anyone who fainted because they failed to eat and hydrate and their body collapsed. The two teens are both young enough that they can learn from the experience and audition next year.

Elmer Fug

Elmer Fug

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 10:34 PM

Thoughts about AI so far

When I first seen Phil Phillips Jr, the first thing that came to my mind was Dave Matthews. Everything from his facial expressions, voice and the way he plays the guitar. I'm surprised the panel didn't bring it up. If he doesn't make it (which I don't think) he'll have a great career as leader of Matthews cover band.

Reed Grimm is a musical savant and he's a dead ringer for my fishing partner Kevin. I think he suffers from ADD because he's all over the place. But, he's clearly talented as an all around musician. If he makes it to the top 12, the viewing audience will quickly grow weary of his shtick.

Love both Josh and Adam soulful voices. I can see both of them going very far into the competition.

Newsflash to Cowboy Tex, the winner last season was a country singer and I bet my left nut that AI won't select another country singer as a winner. You sing like the offspring of Marvin the Martian and Kermit the Frog.

Shannon must be 6' tall and 5'5 of her is legs.