Melissa Harris-Perry: Nerdland

• Please log in to reply

395 replies to this topic

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 9:34 AM

Nick Gillespie is known, in certain corners of the internet, as the Fonzie of Freedom, after his usual sartorial choice of leather jacket. If you suspect that nickname is meant with some sardonic derision, you'd be right. D to the ouche.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 12:32 PM

Is Nick Gillespie the guy with no chin? I missed both MHP shows due to family commitments out of town. My DVR could not handle the 6 hrs (including Chris' Sunday show) along with my other tapings while I was gone, so I had to jettison them. I was hoping to watch some segments Sunday evening, but the hotel internet was crap.

These were the first two MHP shows I've missed since she started. When I got home last night, I really did feel less informed.

Edited by braggtastic, May 22, 2012 @ 12:32 PM.

snorca

snorca

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 8:31 AM

Because I'm twelve....
"Tap that gas" Thank you, Michael Eric Dyson.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jul 10, 2012 @ 3:09 PM

I want to see Michael Eric Dyson & Neil Degrasse Tyson on a panel together one of these weekends.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Aug 29, 2012 @ 2:11 PM

Sad news - her home in New Orleans was destroyed by Issac. Here's her tweet with a picture of the damage.

Edited by M. Darcy, Aug 29, 2012 @ 2:11 PM.

jjj

jjj

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2012 @ 2:17 PM

Wow, thanks for posting that. What a shame, but at least their lives and belongings were not there. If that much of the house could be torn apart by wind, better to find out now.

kingofpoppa

kingofpoppa

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2012 @ 2:57 PM

:( She had just done a tour of the house and neighborhood on her show Sunday.
Very sad for everyone affected.

dagny

dagny

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2012 @ 3:18 PM

She was so hopefull for her little plot of land. Just bummed about it for her.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Aug 30, 2012 @ 10:47 AM

Yes, I saw that on twitter yesterday. Very sad, but fortunately no one was hurt. She & her daughter are in NY, but her husband stayed because some other relatives were not leaving. I hope she provides more info this weekend.

radicalmoderate

radicalmoderate

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2012 @ 10:50 AM

Um, ok, wow. I assume the Republican woman will never come back on this show. Did anyone else just see that screaming rant Melissa launched into? To be fair she's probably under terrible stress but ...wow.

Sharpie66

Sharpie66

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2012 @ 11:06 AM

Hell, yeah, I saw that!!! Melissa actually had me tearing up, both because of what she was saying and the absolute fury she said it with.

Monica (the Repub woman) had been getting on my nerves all show because of her constant deflection of the topic matter when the truth as discussed by the other panelists was not going her way, so seeing her get so utterly and thoroughly smacked down by someone as mild-mannered as Melissa was amazing. (Did you see her expression in mid-smackdown? She looked stunned.)

babypinkfish

babypinkfish

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 1, 2012 @ 11:21 AM

Thank god someone finally did it. I'm sick and tired of these right wing hacks going on shows where they know their voices will be in the minority and trying to railroad the whole discussion by constantly interrupting, not letting anyone else get their points out, and spewing falsehoods. It happened last night on Bill Maher with Ron Christie too. Defensive much? It was refreshing to see MHP finally have enough of it.

jjj

jjj

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2012 @ 11:27 AM

I hardly ever get to see the MHP show, so did not know if that was typical. But she was so right.

inatizzy

inatizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 1, 2012 @ 11:27 AM

Absolutely loved Melissa Harris Perry for losing it and that it topped off such a great hour of television. I loved the discussion with the all women's panel on the RNC, I wish in the last discussion someone would have pointed out Monica Mehta when made the point that the top 5% of earners pay 40% of taxes, that the top 5% of earners also have 65% of the wealth.

SnarkKitty

SnarkKitty

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2012 @ 6:09 PM

Ha, I knew this thread would be towards the top. Oh man, I had to rewind, she went OFF. And the one conservative lady on the panel looked a little scared, her face was priceless. You could even hear someone at the table say "Melissa," in a quiet voice like they were trying to calm her or get her attention. But she was right. Even if her delivery wasn't right. My husband thought she had nothing to apologize for, but she's the host, they're her guests, and it was right that she apologized for the outburst.

I'm not mad at her, though. It needed to be said. And it's the end of a long, tough week, Issac landing 7 years-to-the-day of Katrina anniversary, loss of the home she wanted to use to start to bring her neighborhood back. PTSD. Then hhaving to deal with the RNC on top of it all? I'd have snapped just for that alone.

Hell, Chris Matthews went off worse than that on MONDAY. The week had just started, it was 7am!! And he didn't have half her problems. (But again, I'm not mad at him either. 'Cause it needed to be said.)

I was more mad that she and the panel let that "two years of Congress majority" meme pass Monica Mehta's lips without breaking down the truth. I kept waiting for someone to point out that reproduction needs came before employment - you're not born 26 and in the job market. You don't make it through 15, 16, 17 without a baby -- and with Personhood, most contraception is banned, and abortion ain't happening so chances are you're not even IN the job market in any real way by the time you hit that 26. They tried, but they weren't making that direct argument.

Anyway, good show today! Great panel.

Edited by SnarkKitty, Sep 1, 2012 @ 6:12 PM.

msani19

msani19

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 1, 2012 @ 8:48 PM

Darn it. I had a long ranting post typed up and it disappeared before I could post it. Stupid system! Just some highlights of my thoughts

Great show. I don't think Melissa was screaming, she was impassioned after sitting there listening to Monica say smug, arrogant, dismissive, and inaccurate statement during the show. I don't know if Monica was stunned as much as she still didn't buy a word of it. She irritated me to no end.
I'm just so tired of the blatant lies. Why let facts get in the way of your BS and your rhetoric, right. The republican motto. Even when the facts were pointed out to her, she still acted like it was not applicable. Just some liberal blah blah blah nonsense.

What infuriates me is the attitude that people who are receiving welfare are somehow happy about that. Absolutely no one wants to be receiving welfare benefits, and be denied the "dignity" of work. Sure we can find some jackass who is gaming the system, but even then are they living the high life? Is welfare paying for their car elevator? The idea that they've made welfare = lazy black person makes me crazy. When the facts prove that more welfare recipients are white people rather than black people, but again why bother with the facts.
Welfare indicates that you have fallen so far down, and no one wants to hit the ground. To then be denied the scraps b/c "they" feel,like you're not entitled to it! My god! They are demanding, shrieking for tax cuts on the backs of those who already have nothing. It's galling.
Also, back to Monica, when she sated that over 200k small businesses had closed in the past 10 years, then just simply ignored Melissa when she pointed out that Obama has been president for 3.5 years. I know she was trying to saynthatnhis oppressive tax policy and regulations are killing the small business man, without actually getting to what attributed to the loss of the business. Was it a bad business model? Loss of customers? Poor management by the fabulous "job creators"? Loss of financing? They could be dozens of reasons that have nothing to do with the president, whether it was Bush or Obama. But if during the 8 years that Bush was president and pushing business friendly policy (that Obama still does for the most part) and these businesses still failed, was that Bushs' fault? Guess not, huh.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Sep 2, 2012 @ 2:40 PM

If anyone (like me) missed yesterday's show - here is a link to the video of what Melissa said - which I think is awesome.

Edited by M. Darcy, Sep 2, 2012 @ 2:40 PM.

Rum Punch

Rum Punch

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 2, 2012 @ 5:17 PM

What infuriates me is the attitude that people who are receiving welfare are somehow happy about that. Absolutely no one wants to be receiving welfare benefits, and be denied the "dignity" of work. Sure we can find some jackass who is gaming the system, but even then are they living the high life?

The idea that if I wouldn't do it nobody would, is logically flawed. If you were to ask me if I would rob a bank, engage in identity theft, steal a car, or swindle a retiree out of their life savings in a Ponzi scheme, I'd have to say no, but there are plenty of people who do all those things. I, and I suspect most people, would not go on welfare if they were capable of getting a job, but there are people who would. I know this from personal experience. The fact is, not working is easier than working, even if it doesn't pay that great.

The idea that they've made welfare = lazy black person makes me crazy. When the facts prove that more welfare recipients are white people rather than black people, but again why bother with the facts.

I must have missed the Republican or Republicans that made the assertion that welfare = lazy black person. Who were they and what exactly did they say? It seems to me that when the Democrats characterize any call for welfare reform as a racial attack, it is they who have made the leap that welfare = black, particularly in light of the fact that there are more white people receiving benefits than black.

Edited by Rum Punch, Sep 3, 2012 @ 8:35 PM.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 8:18 AM

it is they who have made the leap that welfare = black,

And this is why the republican attacks on welfare are called dog-whistles. Because they don't say it explicitly, but it is everywhere implied. Quoth the famous republican operative Lee Atwater:

You start out in 1954 by saying, "Nigger, nigger, nigger." By 1968 you can't say "nigger" that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "Nigger, nigger."

junemeatcleaver

junemeatcleaver

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 10:24 AM

I must have missed the Republican or Republicans that made the assertion that welfare = lazy black person. Who were they and what exactly did they say? It seems to me that when the Democrats charaterize any call for welfare reform as a racial attack, it is they who have made the leap that welfare = black, particularly in light of the fact that there are more white people receiving benefits than black.

MHP and the panel were discussing dogwhistles and the Repubs use of them during the very segment MHP lost her cool with that Mehta woman. Racial dogwhistles, as MHP and the panel discussed, have been used for decades, Google the Southern Strategy.

snorca

snorca

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 11:45 AM

Great show. I don't think Melissa was screaming, she was impassioned after sitting there listening to Monica say smug, arrogant, dismissive, and inaccurate statement during the show. I don't know if Monica was stunned as much as she still didn't buy a word of it. She irritated me to no end.
I'm just so tired of the blatant lies. Why let facts get in the way of your BS and your rhetoric, right. The republican motto. Even when the facts were pointed out to her, she still acted like it was not applicable. Just some liberal blah blah blah nonsense.

I agree wholeheartedly. What Melissa did was a thing of beauty to watch. Finally! Someone losing their cool just as I do when I'm watching. She was angry, but also not screaming or out of control. It need to be said. I only wish someone had pointed out that the President did NOT have 2 years of both a Dem house and senate. That is such a lie and I can't believe that woman said that right in the middle of their discussion about Republican lies!

BUD'nLOU

BUD'nLOU

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

Rick Santorum was caught in a moment of honesty when he was campaigning for the Republican nomination. He didn't bother with the coded language and simply said that he didn't "want to give black people somebody else's money."

SamX

SamX

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 10:14 PM

Her little speech impediment distracts me.

That said, statistically there are more whites on welfare than blacks. Blacks are just the ones who have been concentrated into government housing projects so it creates an optical illusion of sorts.

Absolutely no one wants to be receiving welfare benefits, and be denied the "dignity" of work

I hope you are being sarcastic. The drug addicts in my town not only are masters of maximizing their public benefits, they befriend other addicts who get their SSI checks on different weeks to pool the available crack money. Just a reality.

jtenny123

jtenny123

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 10:44 PM

I appreciated how Melissa did not let that Republican woman get away with her BS, but overall I don't like her show that much. It's fine that she is an Obama supporter, but she cannot tolerate any criticism of him and is just such an Obamabot. Both Rachel Maddow and Chris Hayes I think are much better at being clearly progressive while still being willing to sometimes criticize the president.

ThomasAAnderson

ThomasAAnderson

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 10:50 PM

The drug addicts in my town not only are masters of maximizing their public benefits,

You do realize the drug addicts in your town are not representative of all drug addicts or even all addicts in your town--right?

This is the problem, people think that their corner of the world is the world and have no idea what it's like for single mothers trying to make ends meet. I was discussing this with friends just tonight that in college I was shocked when I realized how many of my friends had been on public assistance as children. When I look around at us now driving German cars, living in the 'burbs but donating time and money to kids like we were I want to shout to the world, this is why public assistance exists to give you the leg up to thrive.

SamX

SamX

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2012 @ 11:35 PM

You do realize the drug addicts in your town are not representative of all drug addicts or even all addicts in your town--right?

This is the problem, people think that their corner of the world is the world and have no idea what it's like for single mothers trying to make ends meet.

You realize I was responding to "Absolutely no one wants to be receiving welfare benefits" and not making a generalized statement about public assistance or construing my corner of the world as being the rule--right? That is why the quote I was commenting on was included in my comment. Single mothers are not the only ones having trouble making ends meet, but Lord Forbid we actually have policies geared at kicking professional deadbeats off public assistance to be able to afford things like letting the people who have been working their adult lives only to have their bodies give out before they reach the magic age at which they can get benefits make their ends meet as well.

Edited by SamX, Sep 3, 2012 @ 11:35 PM.

ImEasy

ImEasy

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2012 @ 8:01 AM

I think Melissa accepts criticism of President Obama when it is justified and correct. She is not going to let people get away with falsehoods and half-truths. Also those "deadbeats" on welfare do not make up the majority of those who receive benefits, yes there needs to be something done about that but most of them are poor, undereducated and all they hope to get is welfare when it is not a supplement to other income.

dagny

dagny

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2012 @ 9:19 AM

Monica (the Repub woman) had been getting on my nerves all show because of her constant deflection of the topic matter when the truth as discussed by the other panelists was not going her way, so seeing her get so utterly and thoroughly smacked down by someone as mild-mannered as Melissa was amazing. (Did you see her expression in mid-smackdown? She looked stunned.)

ITA, when the whole panel was carefully trying to explain how controlling when you give birth is an economic issue and Mehta continuously blows the all off, I wanted to just smack her.

To her not enough jobs trump not getting knocked up at 17, giving birth or abortion. If you give birth, you will be disadvantaged economically.

SamX

SamX

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 4, 2012 @ 12:54 PM

Also those "deadbeats" on welfare do not make up the majority of those who receive benefits, yes there needs to be something done about that but most of them are poor, undereducated and all they hope to get is welfare when it is not a supplement to other income.

I did not say that the deadbeats constitute the majority of people on welfare, but I would hope that more than just "most of them are poor" since poverty is sort of supposed to be the first threshold for welfare.

jtenny123

jtenny123

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 8, 2012 @ 12:33 PM

I think Melissa accepts criticism of President Obama when it is justified and correct.

You are probably right, but I guess I haven't seen her respond to issues like drone strikes or him continuing some of the Bush policies. I think it is fine that she does her show from the position of an Obama supporter, but she goes IMO so over-the-top with it. I think any minute she's going to say, "Give me a O! Give me an B!..." and I say this as someone who will vote for President Obama. Chris Hayes and Rachel Maddow are also progressive, but I feel that they are far more fair about both the strengths of President Obama and some of the questionable decisions he made. Melissa strikes me as a girl with a crush.

Edited by jtenny123, Sep 8, 2012 @ 8:02 PM.