Melissa Harris-Perry: Nerdland

• Please log in to reply

395 replies to this topic

dagny

dagny

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 3:31 PM

After the show I clicked around and saw stuff of how AWESOME Austin is, how dynamic is is and how great SXSW is. After two seconds, I realized that no matter how awesome it is, it is still in Texas with those damned crazy laws and their hatred of poor women who would like to not get pregnant. I want MHP to put up a link to the article on the woman who was subjected to the sonogram law when she was undergoing an abortion for a child she actually wanted.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 3:34 PM

I listen to Brian Lehrer regularly; it was so odd to see him talk for once.

The segment on Trayvon Martin was quick, but intense. The Skittles line at the end did me in.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 3:56 PM

After the show I clicked around and saw stuff of how AWESOME Austin is, how dynamic is is and how great SXSW is. After two seconds, I realized that no matter how awesome it is, it is still in Texas

This is one reason I've never been into the SXSW thing, and I don't like it being hyped by people who call themselves "progressives". It's bad enough that I have to pay taxes in Arizona, and, try as I might, I can't get the hell out of this backwater state. I sure as wouldn't willingly go to Texas and give their tax coffers a boost. I support people who call for a boycott of my state. Why don't they do the same with Texas?

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 4:41 PM

Here's the story about the woman in Texas. It's blood-chilling. (I find myself wondering why so few medical professionals are squawking about these, or why they're not civilly-disobeying them. It'd be nice to have allies in white coats.)

shabbieshok

shabbieshok

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 3:22 AM

Oh god, the story you linked to attica finch is horrifying as are some of the stories told in the comments. Tears are running down my cheeks and I have a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach. Thank god I live in Canada where these barbaric practices aren't allowed, although Canadians a year ago elected a conservative government which is trying to quietly, slowly, chip away at some of the social fabric we as a nation are so proud of. Please, women of America, don't be silent. Please speak up loudly and often. My heart will be with you.

Gregorio

Gregorio

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 12:11 PM

Sadly, if people like the Planned Parenthood employees in this story engaged in civil disobedience, they'd lose their licenses, and then Austin would have NO abortion providers.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2012 @ 12:49 PM

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sadly, if people like the Planned Parenthood employees in this story engaged in civil disobedience, they'd lose their licenses<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Not if all of them did it altogether, I don't think.

Also, who's big-brothering the consult/exam room? If the practitioner failed to read the script, who'd know? Who'd tell? (I just got a prescription filled. As part of my check-out procedure, I had to sign something to affirm I'd received 'counseling' on the use of my medication. I signed it without a thought and went on my way. No such 'counseling' took place, other than my own reading of the labels when I got home, which: who but a nerd has a PDR on her shelf at home?) And if somebody did tell, it couldn't possibly be one-strike-yer-out. Which then could be parlayed into grassroots support for non-enforcement.

My point is, we often have more power that we give ourselves credit for. We just have to keep in mind that government is our employee, not our daddy. We might fail at first, but we'll win eventually...if we start somewhere.

ETA: Ah! http://whatever.scal...al-ultrasounds/ This is what I mean. Glad to see it. I particularly like "Poor acoustical window."

Edited by attica finch, Mar 21, 2012 @ 9:42 AM.

ThomasAAnderson

ThomasAAnderson

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 6:49 PM

Listening to the black boys talk about what the world is like from their perspective was heartbreaking.

MHP is doing a great job of presenting the Trayvon Martin case. She also does a great job in general of articulating the African American perspective of life in these United States.

mikemedeiros

mikemedeiros

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 12:26 PM

Karen Finey looked like a giant on the panel this morning.

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 8:11 PM

I hope that the Kerry Washington appearance (especially for a pathetic shock value poorly written evening soap opera) is a fluke and not something that Melissa thinks is great. I don't think her show needs to be news news news all the time but I do think there could be a little bit more consideration as to what pop culture elements to provide.

Another flaw I've noticed is that the panel gets a little more off center than I think Melissa likes but she doesn't manage to bring it back as quickly as she could or perhaps should. Yesterday they danced around the overall issue of this particular Supreme Court and the fact they are essentially making decisions that rewrite the law. Citizens United and now this strip search goes beyond what pretty much every legislative effort has produced in theory let alone practice.

I was really thrilled that last week Melissa brought up the push back to Zimmerman with the fact that Trayvon Martin has as much right to standing his ground if there is even a iota of truth in Zimmerman's ever shifting account of what happened.

Today's show had a slight loopy relaxed feel even before the eggs and hat came out. Dorian (yeah I notice him. A LOT) seemed very mellow to the point that I have to suspect that maybe there were Easter Brunch mimosas being poured even before the show started.

And the egg bit actually was inspired. I'm often left feeling the show is a little too scattered or a little too determinedly focused on something I find less than compelling. The first lady bit for example seemed a bit odd in the timing as part of a tangent to women's history month. But with the eggs basket of topics? Melissa's style and her interaction with her guests really worked. Having a grab bag of the top topics and a quick wrap up discussion is a nice way to do a weekend show segment.

In part I think it works because it managed to cover some of the same matters as covered on UP but different focus and insight. And it didn't belabor the matters. Though again it cheapens the show, harmlessly I know, but still... to mention the word Kardashian. C'mon, Melissa. Unless she is running for office or caught in a political scandal I fail to see why I should not be able to find weekend mornings on MSNBC completely Kardashian free.

shabbieshok

shabbieshok

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:13 AM

Eww. Watched the first hour of Melissa's show this morning for the first time since it first debuted and I have to say I won't be back. Is she always this perky and sing-songy and cutesy? No gravitas at all and like heebiejeebie says, the show is too scattered and thus very superficial as it didn't get 'into' any of the subjects she introduced. With the lack of depth I found that the Republican woman was allowed to spout outrageous talking points and no one had a chance to rebut her. On Chris' Up, when he has avid right-wingers on, there is usually a discussion which can be thought provoking but it didn't happen on Melissa's show today. Too bad because I thought the show had so much promise and she's definitely a very smart lady but she didn't hold my attention at all.

Major Misfit

Major Misfit

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 11:47 AM

Too bad because I thought the show had so much promise and she's definitely a very smart lady but she didn't hold my attention at all.

Agreed. Though I find her an intelligent person, this show seems all about her being in love with the sound of her own voice. The whole thing bores me. I should be interested, but I'm not.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 12:55 PM

I do agree that MHP comes off as too cutesy. I watched this morning but I didn't catch all the introductions. There was a mean-faced woman in red (was she the Republican woman?) who needed a verbal smackdown/rebuttal on some of the things she was saying and MHP was so busy acting cute and sassy that the other panelists (especially Joy Reid) didn't get a chance to give her one.

Plus, MHP has that not-quite-a-lisp thing going on that drives me crazy. I can only take so much of her.

Edited by Ohwell, Apr 15, 2012 @ 12:56 PM.

LADreamr

LADreamr

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 2:23 PM

I like Melissa a lot and actually watch her before I go back to watch Chris, but yesterday something she did kind of bugged me. I was glad that she decided to have the conversation about working mothers v. stay-at-home ones, and all the problems and politics that come with it, but I was surprised that she seemed to get sucked into that reaction to Hilary Rosen's comments about Ann Romney that the GOP has taken over this week. She clearly was talking about the economic pressures of most mothers, she was not saying being a mother by itself is not work, and I was disappointed in Melissa for not making that obvious distinction. She still could have had the same panel discussion while pointing out that that was not what Rosen meant. She also could have pointed out that with a staff and five (?) nannies, Ann Romney was still somewhat out-of-touch. But I too hope she can tone down the cuteness. It's unnecessary.

InnerCanuck

InnerCanuck

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 2:38 PM

The last couple of weeks I've been able to DVR Chris & watch MHP live. I'm generally getting more substance from Chris, but appreciate that MHP is stretching the subjects a bit further than the current political debates (or should that be "debates") - both the sex trafficking conversation yesterday and the transgender conversation today were outside of the usual MSM discussions. Much appreciated, even if not as in depth as I might like. Agree with LADreamr that the Rosen/Romney thing wasn't handled very well; Chris & Co. did a far better job this AM...

Shallow note one: Loved MHP's "Uppity" mug on the table yesterday!

Shallow note two: MHP needs to stop wearing that flat pendant on her necklace. It catches the studio lights and is really irritating to see flashing across the screen.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 3:38 PM

I wonder what Chris's panel would have done with the perceptions-of-women story if he'd had MHP's transgender panel. Not saying his was bad (I liked it!), but it would have been different, I bet.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen transgendered talking heads on teevee when it wasn't about sports (Renee Richards, Mike Penner/Christine Daniels, etc.)Go MHP!

tisha

tisha

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 3:47 PM

I'll stipulate that I wish MHP's show was more like a grad school seminar, the way Chris' show is at its best, but I still appreciate it because it's one of the few places on TV we get to see someone dissecting topics at the intersections of race, gender, and class. I had worried that the show might shy away from race and I'm happy that it's not, but I agree with those above who believe that there's nothing wrong with having those adult conversations without the sometimes-cloying tone. Some of the best conversations have been moments when the conversation was its most serious, like when she allowed black teen boys to speak for themselves (rather than what Deleuze called "the indignity of speaking for others").

She often historicizes events in interesting ways, also, but I'd prefer she do it with the authority of someone like Rachel or Chris (although people in Rachel's thread also critique her for being too cutesy, too).

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 3:57 PM

I don't mean to be too critical of MHP because I think she'd be someone I'd like to have a conversation with. I don't always like how she acts but, generally, I like how she thinks.

LADreamr

LADreamr

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 4:21 PM

I think sometimes Melissa might sell herself a little short, like maybe she doesn't have faith that people will pay attention to her if she doesn't have this bouncy, cute personality to draw them in. I don't mind the fun stuff with her, just as I don't mind it with Rachel. To me, Rachel is very genuine. Anything coming out of her is really her, and how she is in that moment. I'm not a drinker, but I enjoy watching her enthusiasm around showing us how to make a new cocktail, or something. But I'm not sure Melissa has the self-assuredness (in this area) yet, to know she can just do her thing. She's smart, engaging, connects well with her guests, is accomplished, but down-to-earth, and has a good barometer for what needs to be talked about. She's also the first place I heard about Trayvon Martin, and I am grateful to her for that. I just hope she settles into herself a little more, over the coming months. There is no need to beg Beyonce to be on your show. She'd be lucky to be there.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:41 AM

Exactly. What was with going so crazy about Kerry Washington & calling her a movie star constantly? She was promoting a TV show. Yes, she's been in movies, but so has Mira Sorvino and she didn't get called movie star this week.

dagny

dagny

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:48 AM

I saw that mug too InnerCanuck! It was pretty cool.

It's really funny about the Rosen comment. I guess I either heard more of her initial statement or my antenna was already tuned to that frequency, because I understood what she meant. I have a cousin that leans heavily on her mom for help with her kid and have employees who have to leave the office frequently because of kid or ex-spouse drama. I have no idea how women who have an inflexible schedule manage. I also have guy who's wife stays home with their four boys. Everyone knows that isn't easy for her.

I know the whole slavery in modern America could fill up an entire season, but I was a little disappointed that no one mentioned the conditions of the migrant workers in Florida who end up owning their employers money after a season of work.

LADreamr

LADreamr

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:02 AM

I was a little disappointed that no one mentioned the conditions of the migrant workers in Florida who end up owning their employers money after a season of work.

God. And I'm sure the employers think they are doing them a big favor, too. :(

kingofpoppa

kingofpoppa

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 7:12 AM

Did have anyone see Saturday's show with the Columbia U student, the we have to get Obama out of office now, guy?
I wanted to know how he was financing his education at one of the most expensive schools. Is he like the President, scholarships and student loans he'll have to pay off till he's 40? Or is doing what his candidate of choice recommends...borrow money from his partents? (who have bank accts off shore and in Switzerland.
I also wished MHP had asked him why people like him vote against their best interests?

dagny

dagny

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:11 AM

You forgot that he is deserving of everything that was given to him. Other people aren't and the door should be shut behind him.

snorca

snorca

Video Archivist

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 12:58 PM

Hey! Where is everyone??
I was hoping to commiserate on what a giant, douchebag that guy was on Sat. Gah - I can't even remember his name. He kept interrupting everyone and told Ezra Klein he was wrong on basically everything. At one point, I thought Ezra's eyes were gonna bug out of his head, but he remained a gentleman. Katrina Vandehuevel (I know I butchered that spelling) was having a hard time keeping her eyes from rolling completely back inside here head. He's the one who said that they were all going too far to say it was a "war on women" and they should basically lighten up and then at one point, he called Melissa "Castro". Nice.

LADreamr

LADreamr

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 1:11 PM

I wish they would stop having guys like that on. I was even bugged a few weeks ago by Melissa saying we shouldn't call it a war on women, because there are no bombs involved (paraphrasing). These laws and attitudes against women that are so shamelessly out there now don't exist in a vacuum. It affects how women are treated in already sexist societies. It gives further permission to that, and that often does lead to death, one way or another - whether through domestic violence or rape that isn't properly handled, research into diseases that aren't given as much attention because it mostly affects women, or back-alley abortions that women would be forced back into, if these jerks have their way. I was surprised Melissa would not see the big picture in this. Debate is one thing, but giving air time to someone who is just there to condescend is a waste.

dagny

dagny

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 2:03 PM

I agree that the guy from Reason Magazine was one of the most unreasonable people MHP has had on her show recently. The guy actually told her to "stop" talking so he could make his point, but interrupted everyone else. At times, he sounded like the typical Repub spouting talking points like "why should we pay for her birth control pills"; which drives me crazy, because I pay for his boner pills.

ThomasAAnderson

ThomasAAnderson

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 2:59 PM

His name is Nick Gillepsie. He was on Bill Maher's show last year and essentially did the same thing until the big scary looking mayor from a small town in PA said "We could take it outside".

I wonder if MHP is starting to run into the problems Rachel has getting the Conservative pov. I can't see any other reason for having this guy on.

Gregorio

Gregorio

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 9:46 PM

Yeah, he made it positively unwatchable for me. I don't need everyone to agree with me, but he was totally haughty and wouldn't let anyone else make their point. And he was dismissive. It was too bad, because I was really interested in some of the debt topics they were talking about, but I just couldn't stomach listening to this asshole.

olvidado

olvidado

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 10:54 PM

Yeah, he made it positively unwatchable for me. I don't need everyone to agree with me, but he was totally haughty and wouldn't let anyone else make their point. And he was dismissive. It was too bad, because I was really interested in some of the debt topics they were talking about, but I just couldn't stomach listening to this asshole.

I agree. He did make the show unwatchable. If I wanted to see Republicans and hear their bullshit, I'd watch Fox News.