Melissa Harris-Perry: Nerdland

• Please log in to reply

395 replies to this topic

Dee2

Dee2

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 14, 2012 @ 8:15 PM

From MSNBC:

MSNBC Contributor, author and Tulane Professor Melissa Harris-Perry will debut her eponymous weekend program, “Melissa Harris-Perry,” on Saturday, February 18 at 10 AM ET.

Melissa's show will be live from 10a-noon ET both Saturday and Sunday.

“Melissa Harris-Perry” will focus on national politics and will explore the intersections of culture, art and community issues that go beyond the beltway. A panel and guest-driven conversation featuring penetrating political analysis and humor, the show will continuously challenge the definition of “politics” and will push the boundaries of what we know, how we know it, and where we get our information.

I think Professor Harris-Perry is fabulous. I'm looking forward to her show.

olvidado

olvidado

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2012 @ 8:54 PM

Agreed and agreed! I hope MSNBC will do more of this instead of rehashing "Let's Go To Prison/To Catch a Predator Raw/Caught on Camera," Alex Witt or whatever else.

mikemedeiros

mikemedeiros

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 14, 2012 @ 11:06 PM

They've already announced that Alex will be doing 7-8 am Saturday then 12-2 Sat and Sun. So the doc block onslaught will be delayed by a couple more hours, at least, every weekend. But more importantly MHP will hopefully continue to make weekends on MSNBC that put the weeknight line-up to shame.

dagny

dagny

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2012 @ 11:01 AM

I'm getting excited. Four hours of hard core information and intelligent conversation on Saturday and Sunday. This is going to be fun.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Feb 15, 2012 @ 1:53 PM

I hope Alex has someplace to nap for a couple of hours between 8am-noon Saturday.

jalfredprufrock

jalfredprufrock

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2012 @ 3:13 PM

Is this Melissa Harris-Lacewell, who was always on Rachel Maddow's show? I thought she taught at Princeton?

dagny

dagny

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2012 @ 3:25 PM

She changed jobs and names in the last year or so.

Rickster

Rickster

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2012 @ 3:33 PM

She didn't get promoted to full professor at Princeton and moved to Tulane to be also closer to her husband.

NY Times Article

jalfredprufrock

jalfredprufrock

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2012 @ 4:04 PM

She didn't get promoted to full professor at Princeton and moved to Tulane to be also closer to her husband.

NY Times Article

Interesting - thanks for the link!

olvidado

olvidado

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2012 @ 4:01 PM

They've already announced that Alex will be doing 7-8 am Saturday then 12-2 Sat and Sun. So the doc block onslaught will be delayed by a couple more hours, at least, every weekend. But more importantly MHP will hopefully continue to make weekends on MSNBC that put the weeknight line-up to shame.

Thanks, Mike! I think I read your post just before hearing the announcement before I went to work. Now, let's see a Karen Finney hour!!

GrantsHistory

GrantsHistory

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 12:07 PM

I missed the first 15 minutes, but when I started watching I was locked in for all of the rest. I thought this was a wonderful first show. Interesting topics and a good guest line-up. The segments devoted to women's health and the personhood issue I thought were especially well-done. And the fact that she took the time to deconstruct the idiocy of statements from young women regarding the Chris Brown situation (literally things like "He could beat me any time he wants") added something that I don't think many other commentators would address. Job well-done to MHP and her staff.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 2:44 PM

I enjoyed it too. She seems eager to make the show playful, even given serious topics, which will be (imo) a nice thing. (Job creation for sonogram techs!)

And it looks like 'Nerdland' is more than a one-off reference. Hee!

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 3:29 PM

It was a nice first run. It helped that the current nonsense regarding contraception makes for a great main topic. I could do without Torre acting all self-important and hope that he only appears when celebrities die. But his appearance at least made sense. And since the show was leading right into the silliness of the Houston funeral media blitz I was glad Melissa and the show at least brought relevance to the issue instead of just wallowing in the inane and meaningless Dead Celebrity coverage CNN and Fox decided to go with.

I do hope that the show emerges a bit more from the template they cast Chris' show in. I don't think it is a clone but I think that has more to do with Chris and Melissa each having a unique style and even a unique sensibility to the same matters.

I'm really looking forward to Rachel being a guest with Melissa because I think Rachel brings something to the table as a guest that she does not bring as host. I adore her as host. Wouldn't haven't any other way. But Rachel is a bit meaner as a guest. She goes there in a way that as host I don't think she feels comfortable with. And I like mean.

Dorian Warren. Oh my. My on air boyfriend. Brains and beauty. I liked that Melissa's format let him have a bit more say as the last time I saw him on Chris' show Chris was going his usual 0-60 and three other guests all eager to chime in. I hope he is a regular on the show. Just as I hope, apropos I know but the offhand mention made me think about the possibilities for guests, Hill Harper does not come on much (I think he is incredibly hot but extremely pompous as he spouts pseudo-intellectual Phil McGraw type 'isms and then looks painfully thoughtful at his own incredible insight).

All in all it was a great show. And something needed as we head into the madness of a general election. My only real disappointment stemmed from the show not being able to skip the funeral circus and deal more on the whys of the contraception and even the abortion push. My theory is that just as the Supreme Court ruled that corporations are people too, conservatives hope that the whole issue, if not a reversal of Roe v Wade, will at least lead to a ruling that the Constitutional protected freedoms of religion actually protect Religious Institutions in the same way it does individuals. At least that is my waking nightmare.

olvidado

olvidado

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 4:19 PM

I missed the first 15 minutes, but when I started watching I was locked in for all of the rest. I thought this was a wonderful first show. Interesting topics and a good guest line-up. The segments devoted to women's health and the personhood issue I thought were especially well-done. And the fact that she took the time to deconstruct the idiocy of statements from young women regarding the Chris Brown situation (literally things like "He could beat me any time he wants") added something that I don't think many other commentators would address. Job well-done to MHP and her staff.

All in all it was a great show. And something needed as we head into the madness of a general election. My only real disappointment stemmed from the show not being able to skip the funeral circus and deal more on the whys of the contraception and even the abortion push. My theory is that just as the Supreme Court ruled that corporations are people too, conservatives hope that the whole issue, if not a reversal of Roe v Wade, will at least lead to a ruling that the Constitutional protected freedoms of religion actually protect Religious Institutions in the same way it does individuals. At least that is my waking nightmare.

Grant'sHistory & heebijeebie
Awesome posts!
Do we dare to hope that people will actually watch with open minds and maybe learn something from MHP?? I sure hope so, cos this show rocks!

Listen Lady

Listen Lady

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 7:30 PM

Aw, her first guest totally let her down. What a jerk. She set up the interview so nicely I was all excited to hear a real discussion about what it means to be a conservative and the state of the republican party. What an unexpected and interesting way for a progressive to begin her debut show. And then the guy completely disregards the premise of the interview and launches into his talking points. The economy sucks, we won back the house in 2010, Obamacare, blah blah. Doesn't even acknowledge her question, "what is a conservative", and fillibusters her attempts to get the interview back on track. How collosally rude.

With the exception of Dorian Warren, the earlier panel(s) underwhelmed. But I really enjoyed the dynamic of the Whitney Houston panel.

Quibble: I wish she wouldn't perpetuate this "nerd/geek" nonsense that Rachel started. It's just code for "I'm smarter than you." It's a way of calling themselves intellectual but veiling it in insincere self deprecation. They should just talk about what they want to talk about without framing it as something that only certain kinds of people (smart people) would be interested in.

LADreamr

LADreamr

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 7:32 PM

I thought it was a great debut, and I look forward to more of the same. I especially loved her point about the side effects of birth control for women: more education, delaying marriage, higher income.... (I think that's what it was; I hope I didn't mess that up), and her history of women as property, and therefore why these men still think they own us. But it's hard to choose a favorite part, because there was so much good. I hope she can keep up this pace.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 9:01 PM

I noticed a large amount of fresh fruit on the table - no pastry overload for MHP! Excellent first show.

InnerCanuck

InnerCanuck

Stalker

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 9:01 PM

Aw, her first guest totally let her down. What a jerk. She set up the interview so nicely I was all excited to hear a real discussion about what it means to be a conservative and the state of the republican party. What an unexpected and interesting way for a progressive to begin her debut show. And then the guy completely disregards the premise of the interview and launches into his talking points.

Oh, I completely agree! I watched my recording and had to stop for a while to cool down then start watching again. Her hypothesis is one I've been discussing with my Republican dad for a couple of years now and he & I have come close to being in complete agreement with each other and MHP.

I yelled at Cox that here he was, relevant and on television for the first time in nearly 40 years, and all he could to was regurgitate the same old crap. I think it's generational, because in the second segment with the law prof from Georgetown, there was a lot of over-talking from him, too. He was better in the next segment. But Dorian Warren and the other younger panelists throughout the show were much more respectful of the others.

The thoughtfulness of discussion leading into the Whitney Houston coverage was refreshing, especially after hearing Bill-o yammering on all week about "suicide" and the rest of his bloviation.

madfortv

madfortv

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 1:43 PM

I liked what I heard of the first show but didn't get to watch it all. I didn't get to watch either show this morning, Up with Chris or Melissa's show. I wish they would start repeating the shows in the afternoon.

loriro

loriro

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 2:19 PM

I liked what I heard of the first show but didn't get to watch it all. I didn't get to watch either show this morning, Up with Chris or Melissa's show. I wish they would start repeating the shows in the afternoon

Both shows are put up in their entirety on their respective MSNBC TV websites so you can watch whenever you get a chance.

I for one LOVED her debut yesterday (watched it online myself!), and will try to catch it regularly. She and Chris really are a refreshing change.

Listen Lady

Listen Lady

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 2:32 PM

Today's panels were so much better than yesterday. As great as she is, based on yesterday's show I was a bit worried she would have trouble booking guests. No more worries.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 2:58 PM

And on the shallow end, her personal style is great - I love what she wears and how she accessorizes.

Gregorio

Gregorio

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 6:47 PM

While we're on the shallow end, that gentleman, Dorian Warren? He can sit on my panel any day.

(okay, I admit, that was awful. I'm sorry)

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 9:42 PM

Apparently Katon Dawson missed the talking points memo. Though it is clear the constant bleating of really poor campaign memes showed in Perry's crash and this guy was the poster child for that failure. To wit Mr Dawson, as uttered with complete lack of irony by Santorum today elsewhere, the talking points are that Europe is still weak economic wise and therefore any economic gains under Obama is false as is the idea that the economy existed before Obama took office. And that Obama has failed the nation by not invading Iran.

I ignored him pretty much the entire time he was on because all I heard was blah blah blah deficit spending blah blah blah rising price of gas. As soon as I realized he was not talking about the eight years under Bush and was earnest I put him on FF.

olvidado

olvidado

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 10:54 PM

I yelled at Cox that here he was, relevant and on television for the first time in nearly 40 years, and all he could to was regurgitate the same old crap. I think it's generational, because in the second segment with the law prof from Georgetown, there was a lot of over-talking from him, too. He was better in the next segment. But Dorian Warren and the other younger panelists throughout the show were much more respectful of the others.

Yeah, Cox was a real brownout this morning. But you could see how Melissa was sort of laughing at him all the while.

ThomasAAnderson

ThomasAAnderson

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 3:02 PM

I can't find a link to the 2/19 show does anyone know where to watch?

Thanks!

InnerCanuck

InnerCanuck

Stalker

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 8:24 PM

Finally finished watching the recording of Sunday's show. I don't know if it was deliberate on MHP's part, but having someone named Kenji Yoshino on air yesterday was particularly resonant: it was the 70th anniversary of FDR's signing of the order of internment for Japanese-Americans. Anthea Butler was absolutely right when she said if civil rights were subject to popular vote "none of us" would be around that table.

loriro

loriro

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:04 PM

I can't find a link to the 2/19 show does anyone know where to watch?

Thanks!

2/19 show

mikemedeiros

mikemedeiros

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 5:34 PM

I'll be a visitor to Nerdland every week. Nice job MSNBC, a solid 8 hours of must see TV. Let's give Phil Griffen credit where he's due; great new weekend programming with Chris and Melissa.

ourmoro

ourmoro

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 4:57 PM

I agree with those who have spoken about "nerd" being code for intellectual.

I cannot help but think that it would be great for Americans to embrace being smart and being able to engage in smart, critical discussion. No need to deprecate or disguise it - drop the nerd references, say I.

But, great start - brilliant panel on religion and first amendment rights - I loved the professor who explored the constitution for us.

Please keep a high level of political discussion on out TV and the audience will follow. Go, Professor Harris-Perry!