Meghan Ory as Ruby/Red: She Should've Moved to Boston

• Please log in to reply

163 replies to this topic

lubi

lubi

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 14, 2012 @ 10:35 AM

A place to discuss all things Ruby and Red related.

CrimsonGirl

CrimsonGirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 3:27 AM

I hope this doesn't come off as cruel, but.....

She just seems too old in Fairytale Land. And I don't feel that way about Snow White or Cinderella.

They should have got an actress with softer features.

CarpingSlav

CarpingSlav

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 6:46 AM

Huh. I tend to think that she looks older in Storybrooke and looks stunning in the Enchanted Forest. Still, looking forward to her story.

Camera One

Camera One

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 11:36 PM

I agree with CarpingSlav. So far, the most extraordinary thing about her is how much her features soften when she loses all the makeup and looks natural in Fairy Tale Land.

She has such a bit role right now, but hopefully, she will get her own episode to shine. She has done a good job with the little scenes they have given her so far.

Snapple12

Snapple12

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 12:04 PM

She has such a bit role right now, but hopefully, she will get her own episode to shine.

It seems like she will according to this press release of episode 15.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 3:29 PM

I can't wait until they do give her something to do because her just standing around and flirting with guys is getting old.

Camera One

Camera One

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 1:31 AM

Same with Granny. I was wondering why they were even there in the scene where Emma is talking to August, and both Granny and Red are standing in the background out of focus. LOL that Granny got the line that time.

Corydora

Corydora

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 5:07 AM

I have trouble with her in the role as well, maybe because Red was a little girl in the original tale. Also, she hasn't had much to do but it looks like she has a storyline coming up soon.

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 10:25 AM

I have trouble with her in the role as well, maybe because Red was a little girl in the original tale.

I've got to agree with you: Ruby is just too old for the Little Red Riding Hood of the fairytales IMO. It almost feels like an impersonator.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 1:12 PM

In the traditional story Little Red Riding Hood is a little girl. But she was not eaten by the wolf and so most likely she grew up. Perhaps the story as we see it will be a part of Red's past and what happened to her after the Big Bad Wolf incident.

Edited by MorninStar, Feb 20, 2012 @ 1:13 PM.

Cindy McLennan

Cindy McLennan

Network Executive

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 3:08 PM

This is a little crazy, I know, but I keep thinking about how, in "What Happened to Frederick," Charming told Abigail that a "little bird" helped him find Snow. I know Ruby is also Little Red Riding Hood, but am wondering if Red Riding Hood could also be Robin Hood.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 3:21 PM

I thought the "little bird" was literally a little bird. That's how James delivered his note to Snow White, right?

Cindy McLennan

Cindy McLennan

Network Executive

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 3:58 PM

Yes, absolutely. But when he said it this time, he was soon riding out and encountered Red, which made me start thinking of Robin Redbreast, which led me to think of Robin Hood. It's just an idle thought. It just won't leave my head.

Edited by Cindy McLennan, Feb 26, 2012 @ 11:52 AM.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 12:58 AM

That'd be an awfully good trick for her to not only change identities, but genders as well. Robin Hood has always been male in the legends; otherwise, Maid Marian would have been in for one hell of a disappointment.

In other words, I highly doubt that she'd have that kind of double identity.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 3:29 AM

Robin Hood has always been male in the legends; otherwise, Maid Marian would have been in for one hell of a disappointment.

Unless she was a lesbian or bisexual, of course. Just where does Fairytale Land stand on that sort of thing? I can easily see Ruby going for it.

Edited by Princess Aldrea, Feb 26, 2012 @ 3:30 AM.

Cindy McLennan

Cindy McLennan

Network Executive

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 11:51 AM

That'd be an awfully good trick for her to not only change identities, but genders as well. Robin Hood has always been male in the legends; otherwise, Maid Marian would have been in for one hell of a disappointment.

Yes, leagaleagle44, I've heard of Robin Hood, before. So far, the show has treated its fairy tale stories as the truth behind the legend. Since they've made Rumpelstiltskin Belle's beast, I'd wouldn't put it past the writers at some point, to do a, "Hey, this character you all were told was male, was actually female," sort of story. It could be an interesting subversion. As Princess Aldrea points out, Marian could still be a female Robin's lover. Additionally, she could be a friend, a part of the story that wasn't true, or a man named Marion (like John Wayne).

Houddy

Houddy

Stalker

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 2:14 PM

or a man named Marion (like John Wayne).

I'd kind of love that. And since Robin can be a male or female name, it could work. Also, if it were Red, it would work with Snow's story in that Red Robin (yum!) could be the one who showed Snow how to survive in the forest and take from the rich etc. Then again, Snow could get the Robin Hood storyline since now that she's a fugitive her story does in some ways mirror the Robin Hood story.

I think the gender swap would work with Robin Hood because Robin Hood was a fugitive and rather clever, so I wouldn't put it past the real Robin Hood to make up stories about Robin Hood to hide her true identity. If the whole kingdom is looking for a guy she could easily fly under the radar. I don't expect it to happen but if it did I think that so long as it was their plan all along, and they aren't just doing it as a "shocking twist" it could work. There just has to be some clear line of thought behind it for me.

MorninStar

MorninStar

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 5:59 PM

Snow did say (to Charming) that she only stole from the Queen's carriages and she was surprised that a carriage belonging to someone else was taking that road.

MDKNIGHT

MDKNIGHT

Fanatic

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 6:45 PM

I'm in the -she looks better in Fairy Tale Land-camp. I think the makeup gun is set to "whore" in Story brooke. (Simpsons reference)

While I do not think they will have Red be Robin I'd point out that having a character/person thought to be male be female worked REALLY well for HG Wells on Warehouse 13 and the Oscars showed that there have recently been movies with women passing themselves off as men that have garnered attention.

Back on track... with the whole curse/not curse discussion going on regarding Charming/David's complete lack of a spine in Storybrooke I re-iterate my position that while the curse doesn't give you the OPPOSITE personality (I mean it isn't like David is cruel and evil, just spineless) it just hightens your flaws or takes away some of your good characteristics. With the pilot establishing Ruby is allegedly the town bicycle I think Red Riding Hood may have had a little indescretion that got blown out of proportion in Storybrooke to her being slutty instead. Maybe she dated a werewolf to the ire of the villagers. It won't happen but it would be hysterical, given the previous discussion, if she had dated a woman....or a female werewolf. I bet villagers get riled up about that kind of thing. Heh.

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

Thing is she may have the rep of the town slut (and I wonder how relieved she is to have Mary Margaret take that title away from her) but I haven't seen any evidence that she's more than a flirt.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 1:53 AM

Thing is she may have the rep of the town slut (and I wonder how relieved she is to have Mary Margaret take that title away from her) but I haven't seen any evidence that she's more than a flirt.

If she was more than a flirt then I don't that one little affair would have caused Mary Margaret to take the title. Storybrook is just really prudish.

lubi

lubi

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 9:54 AM

Wasn't Ruby the one that helped Emma and the Firemen locate Henry and Archie in the mine on "That Still Small Voice"? I'm probably wrong but if not that was a nice indication of her powers.

Aliasscape

Aliasscape

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 10:09 AM

She was holding onto Pongo but he got away from her and located Henry and Archie.

I think Megan did an amazing job. I hope we get more Red-centric episodes.

Edited by Aliasscape, Mar 12, 2012 @ 11:26 AM.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 10:58 AM

I think Megan did an amazing job. I hope we get more Red-centric episodes.

I agree. The expression on Red's face when she realized that it was she who had killed Peter was unforgettable to me.

One thing that I absolutely have to give the casting department credit for is how well it got it right when it came to choosing the actors for this show. Meghan is another example of just how high-caliber the cast is, in my opinion.

Spartan Girl

Spartan Girl

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 1:08 PM

I agree. The expression on Red's face when she realized that it was she who had killed Peter was unforgettable to me.

That broke my heart. Poor Red. Imagine having to live with that for the rest of your life, knowing that you killed the one person you love (albeit unknowingly), and in such a horrible way. Fantastic acting for Megan. When this show is good, it's GOOD.

kennyab

kennyab

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 1:51 PM

Just wanted to chime in and agree with the rest of you commending Ory's performance. She managed to pull off wide-eyed, optimistic, naive, tenacious girl, woman who just realized she killed her boyfriend, insecure young woman trying to put on a facade, and more realized young woman who's ready to face new challenges, all with ease and aplomb. And we've seen glimpses of the post-revelation Red in Fairytale World. All of this could easily come across as disjointed, but she very believably blends all of these facets into the same character.

temo

temo

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 11:26 PM

So, I'm curious. Is it possible that Red is Graham's wolf? If she still has that sense of smell in Storybrook, is she a werewolf there? Could she have been the one guiding Graham before his death?

I agree, I think Meghan is an extraodinary talent, I was extremely disappointed that she didn't continue as Emma's assistant/receptionsist/deputy she made a terrific sidekick.

thesporq

thesporq

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 11:46 PM

Oof. Back into the TWOP forums. Been a while.

Originally I was going to echo everyone's Ohry praises, but then I started thinking. My main struggle with this show is the whole timeline, and where the individual characters and their arcs fit. In every other appearance in the Fairytale world, Red seems completely fine. You would figure...eating your possibly one true love would leave some after effects. Also, this revelation doesn't seem to carry over into Storybrooke, other than some tracking skills. Granny is still protective of Ruby, but we don't know why. In keeping with the 'family curse' idea, I'd suspect some parental shame/scandal.

And maybe this is the wrong thread, but what/who killed the hunting party? Red was safely locked up[it appears]. Are there more wolves? Maybe more family?

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 12:31 AM

So, I'm curious. Is it possible that Red is Graham's wolf? If she still has that sense of smell in Storybrook, is she a werewolf there? Could she have been the one guiding Graham before his death?

Highly doubtful. It was the full moon that episode as Granny mentioned yet Red was human waiting for the bus and wasn't wearing her magic cloak. Graham's wolf was also with him all the time in the Enchanted Forest not just at night. Even in Storybrook he saw him during the day. And if all magic is gone and Jiminy is a human then why would Ruby still be a werewolf? And why wouldn't anyone notice wolf attacks?

Ruby looked much prettier in the ending scene once she was no longer wearing too much make-up than she did earlier.

CheerAngel

CheerAngel

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 12:37 AM

Plus, Graham's wolf was a regular everyday wolf (that was like, one step away from wagging its tail), transformed Red looked a lot different, both in size and demeanor.

I wonder if Red ever gained control over her wolf side- it would be awesome if near the end of the show when everyone starts waking up to battle they had a big, bad wolf on their side. Fun little bit of foreshadowing in ep 4 with her red wolf charm.

I really loved that Ruby's feud with Granny ended up being about her maturity level and desire for adventure rather than her flirtatious nature, which would have been both an easy target and way too judgmental for my liking.

Edited by CheerAngel, Mar 13, 2012 @ 12:46 AM.