12-1: "Hero Worship" 2012.02.19

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

196 replies to this topic

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

Stalker

• Interests:Also known as Kim, one of your friendly recappers

Posted Feb 13, 2012 @ 7:55 PM

Donald Trump tasks 18 new Celebrities to create and sell deli sandwiches in a fundraising competition for charity. Due to a tragic accident, the men start with a man down, while the women's Project Manager puts everything on the line to win. Fundraising on both teams sets new records, but only one Project Manager will take it all. In the end, one Celebrity will hear Trump's feared words: "You're Fired!" Special guests include Wyclef Jean, Russell Simmons, Carol Alt and Andy Cohen. Boardroom advisors: Donald Trump Jr. and Ivanka Trump.

callietwo

callietwo

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 11:02 PM

What the hell was that? Are they afraid of Victoria? As shown, she was less than useless so it was very annoying to see her stay.

That said- the 'one donor' donating the 300,000 seems fishy. So those with the BIG bucks to put from their own pocket, which is what I'm positive this guy did almost can't lose when they are PM's. Annoying.

MagniFicent

MagniFicent

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 11:07 PM

Wow. George Takei totally smacked Paul Sr. down when he called him a meek person. "I was raised in an internment camp, bitch." Team Takei for life. Adam Carolla always struck me as being kind of a tool, but I loved that he called Paul Sr. out for picking the minority contestants out "at random". I don't think Takei's going anywhere - the guy has a massive online following, and I suspect a lot of people will be watching just for him.

Speaking of that boardroom, Penn is a freaking giant. Paul Sr. isn't a small man, but he looked tiny next to Lou Ferrigno, who looked small next to Penn. It doesn't help that he was hunched over in a hoodie the whole time, I guess. And that all-denim outfit at the beginning - it seems like there's always one contestant that dresses like trash in the boardroom on Celebrity Apprentice.

On the women's side, could Trump have been any more of a tool when talking about Dayana's boyfriend? "He's not rich, he doesn't have his own plane, dump him." What an obnoxious ass.

Funniest exchange of the boardroom? Aubrey O'Day citing "working for Diddy" to establish her professional gravitas, followed by Donald's "I love Ditty. He's a great friend of mine.", followed by the howls of laughter and mocking impressions from the men's team. Oh Donald.

On the subject of the big donation, I imagine they cut it to make the winner less obvious.

Edited by MagniFicent, Feb 19, 2012 @ 11:09 PM.

qeratify

qeratify

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 11:11 PM

This episode is a prime example of the main flaw I have with these kind of tasks. Ultimately, it always ends up coming down to who gets their friend/contact/family to donate the most amount of money. The actual task is irrelevant. They could have had the worst food, display, etc... and it wouldn't have mattered since they would have still gotten their donations. I think they should try and separate donations from the contestants contacts, and donations made at the actual task. It would be far more interesting to see which team could raise more money from "real people" than just their wealthy contacts.

Bubbacat

Bubbacat

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 11:12 PM

Wow. George Takei totally smacked Paul Sr. down when he called him a meek person. "I was raised in an internment camp, bitch." Team Takei for life.

Seriously! George Takei? Meek? Oh, hell no! Intelligent, thoughtful, and hilarious, yes. Meek? No way. Go, George! Oh, my!

Jextella

Jextella

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 11:14 PM

It's always sad to see the first one go, but it was the right decision to send Cheryl home.

I found myself liking Victoria Gotti even though I don't know much about her. She needs a make-over STAT, though. She could be far more attractive if she got rid of the mop and stopped using the tanning bed.

I have no clue who Aubry O'Day is, but that must be because I'm ancient. I liked her though. She's very articulate and smart, I think.

Sidenote....there is good, and there is bad, to be sure, but I am actually quite impressed by youth of today. It's the first time in my lifetime that being cool and being smart and/or accomplished aren't mutually exclusive.

DotsAndStripes

DotsAndStripes

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 11:20 PM

The whole competiton this week came down to two things: the huge check and Cheryl giving up. If this were a real competition, then this episode would have been terrible. Luckily, this is the Celebrity Apprentice and there is nothing real about it.

Patricia's name didn't ring any bells, but I was escited when I realized she played Marta on Arrested Development. She did an amazing job tonight and I hope she'll be around for a while. Dayana was also an unknown for me, but I love that she actually called people out on holding back donors. Good for her.

I actually like a lot of people in this cast. Clay, Penn, George, Dee, and Adam all seem entertaining. Debbie and Aubrey both seem deluded, so I expect them to provide some entertaining moments.

Jumelle

Jumelle

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 11:22 PM

Not bad for a first show. I agree that one big donor can make or break a fund-raising task and that's not really fair, but it's business.
My initial impressions: lots of guys I like and want to see stay on the show. Not so much the girls. Aubrey has a delusional belief in herself, Victoria is creepy, Debbie (Debra?) is trying too hard. Not a huge Teresa fan but what she was cooking looked delicious!
My Keepers: Dee, Arsenio, Clay, Lou, Adam, Penn, Teresa, Dayana, Patricia and Tia

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 11:24 PM

I chuckled to myself when the red headed pop tart was put off that she was really the post popular celeb and was personally offended that she was over looked as possibly generating the most public appeal and I had to dig really deep to remember who she was as I had no clue and still no clue who Aubry O'Day is. At least Debbie Gibson still has a fragment of my past. Was Dayanna married to JLo's ex Marc Anthony ?

Edited by King Cat Sam, Feb 19, 2012 @ 11:26 PM.

isotonerz

isotonerz

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 11:25 PM

Victoria did make personal calls during the task. Then she pulled the mom card . . .”as any mother would”. Aren’t her kids almost grown?

Hard to believe Cheryl is 64 yrs. old.

The redhead - or was it pink? (can’t think of her name) got on my nerves.

I'll bet William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy will help George out when he needs it. Loved his retort about being called meek " (um) I grew up in an internment camp with barbed wire".

Edited by isotonerz, Feb 19, 2012 @ 11:30 PM.

Stinger97

Stinger97

Stalker

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 11:26 PM

Not sure how, based on performance alone, Victoria could stay. Cheryl may have been flighty and slow separating the cheese (... lol at that even being a thing) but at least she wasn't taking personal calls / not showing up because of a mysterious eye issue. It was obvious to me Victoria was going to stay simply because her potential for drama is much better than the soft spoken and potentially boring Cheryl. Oh well.

Don't care much for Paul or any of the men at this point. Clay has more makeup caked on his face than all the women combined, I'd say. Though I'd wager he looks more like Silly Putty than clay.

chandapanda

chandapanda

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 11:29 PM

I have to admit before this episode, I hadn't paid a whole lot of attention to the cast - I knew Clay (voted for him on AI way back when), George, Arsenio, and Penn were on, but beyond that, no clue. I was happily surprised with the caliber of gamesmanship in tonight's episode. I didn't see any obvious throwaways on the guy's team (although I can tell Paul Sr will get on my nerves - I have a feeling the mystery donor was Paul Jr, using Dad's checkbook). The ladies team is pretty outstanding - I was pretty excited to see The Mummy's Patricia Velasquez! She was such a witch in that movie, but she's so nice on here. And she's still so pretty!

Tia looks a little whacked out (she looked so much prettier on Dancing with the Stars) and I am not surprised that Cheryl is already gone. Aubrey's hair bugged me to no end and she and Debbie are my least liked contestants right now. I was happy that Dayana is more than just a pretty face, but I figure she was smart enough to know that she needed to bring in something big on the first challenge or she would be toast.

I giggled when the ladies came into the lounge and one of them commented about only the 2 gay guys standing up and offering seats! I also appreciated George's commentary during Lou's shirtlessness. He was able to pull off the commentary without being skeevy.

charma

charma

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 11:31 PM

Judging by this first show, this season seems to be a little campy? Of course I'll still be watching.

I think Cheryl was the right choice. She seemed and looked dead, like she wasn't there. Was she medicated? Sleepy? What? This Apprentice crap is high pressure and she was way too lax to last. They said she was moving slow? She was acting like she was slow, period. Victoria would get another chance because frankly, she's good tv and Cheryl wouldn't be. She did have a good point about the red carpet thing. That is so played and old and she should have brought that up. It appears that the other women don't like her though. That will be her downfall.

Paul on the men's team was not a good manager targeting Takei. He said he likes agressive people. Well, in a office environment, you are taught to learn how to work with different styles and personalities. If you have a meeker person on the job, as a manager you have to find out where that person's strengths are and utilize them. It does not make them a lesser worker because they are quieter than the rest. That may seem contradictory to what I wrote about Cheryl, but she wasn't just quiet. She was out of it.

Fandomania

Fandomania

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 11:54 PM

The Shat will NOT help George - Nimoy and Nichols if he pulls them in. I might see Howard Stern making an appearance unless he hates Trump? I can never keep these celebrity feuds straight.

Would Paul Jr. donate anything for Paul Sr? Or is that a manufactured "TV" feud?

I really hate the aspect of the show that allows one to just pull out their checkbook and buy the competition? Ugh. I bet Paul Sr. is kicking himself though now that he realizes he could have spent about $150k less than he did! The only saving grace was that part.

lambie

lambie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 11:56 PM

This episode is a prime example of the main flaw I have with these kind of tasks. Ultimately, it always ends up coming down to who gets their friend/contact/family to donate the most amount of money. The actual task is irrelevant. They could have had the worst food, display, etc... and it wouldn't have mattered since they would have still gotten their donations.

I agree and many a good effort was lost because of this. However, in this case the men did seem to do a better job. Penn was stellar as a carny talker. Penn had a good idea to focus the sandwiches all around the one brand. Their sandwich won on Rachel Ray. Clay was shown doing a good job upselling. The weakest member of the team seemed to be Paul Sr. I agree completely the donation came from Paul Jr. Or Mikey. But beyond bringing in that one element he wasn't shown really leading his team.

I thought he said George was "meager," which is a far worse thing for him to say than "meek." Paul and Theresa have a similar grasp of English because she called Andy Cohen a "head hunter" when I think she meant "head honcho." I hope Theresa wears out her welcome quickly. I'd like to see Lisa and Penn in the final showdown because I think they're both smart and can read a situation.

basiltherat

basiltherat

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 12:00 AM

If you're a bossy loudmouth like Paul, you don't really want a dozen other loudmouths, and he already had Penn and Dee. With too many strong personalities, you end up fighting and nothing is done, like most of the women's teams in previous seasons. Bossy loudmouth or not, he won the task in a big, big way and starts off the contest with a big star over his head.

Virginia Plain

Virginia Plain

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 12:06 AM

The focus on Tia's comment in the boardroom bothered me. I guess understand why they considered it to be stupid, although personally I don't think it was a big deal at all, but what the hell? It was just so overblown.

LakeGal

LakeGal

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 12:07 AM

I hate the challenges all about money. It is all about who has rich friends. That has nothing to do with the challenge. And every season Donald puts famous males on the men's team. And half the women's team is made up of models, etc. that we have never heard of. Donald loves the attractive women he can ogle. But they never have a chance in the early challenges where they need to use their celebrity to win.

In the boardroom Donald always says disgusting remarks to the women. He is such a sexist.

I want challenges where the teams have to do something to show they have used their brains. Not all about using their fame and calling people for moeny.

petramom

petramom

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 12:16 AM

I laughed at Donald's praising Cheryl Tiegs as he fired her - "my daughter, she had pictures of you, all over her room, ah, just really, so many pictures, in the magazines, just great." I realize that many models are very smart and hard-working. But I don't think being a model requires you to be smart or hard-working. Which is not to say that Cheryl Tiegs is as spacey and slow as she seemed on the show. But, well, she seemed that way on the show. And she also doesn't seem to know how to dress herself in a particularly flattering way.

Who is the girl that hates Diddy and prepared for the show by comparing her Twitter following to the other contestants? I love her. Everything that comes out of her mouth is so delightfully cringe-worthy.

I thought the Paul Sr./George Takei thing was going to go down like the tax-evading Survivor guy/David Cassidy thing last season. I guess George had other ideas. Barbed wire internment camps indeed. Take that, you mustached motherfucker.

Edited by petramom, Feb 20, 2012 @ 12:27 AM.

Stinger97

Stinger97

Stalker

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 12:20 AM

The focus on Tia's comment in the boardroom bothered me. I guess understand why they considered it to be stupid, although personally I don't think it was a big deal at all, but what the hell? It was just so overblown.

This happens every. single. season. And I always roll my eyes. Tia made an offhanded comment that I'm sure no one thought much about, and then Donald had to single her out. And then Ivanka, who I usually love, had to jump on the bandwagon and harp on the issue as well. It's always so awkward and Tia was obviously annoyed that it turned into a big deal. I was glad she fought back just a bit.

PetuniaP

PetuniaP

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 12:25 AM

Who taught Teresa hw to pronounce her husband's last name properly and why did she decide to bust it out on this show? She seemed very scared to me...she is way out of her element.

Victoria Gotti came across as a selfish class A bitch...no way was she going anywhere. Especially if she's running around in Donald's circles. He's going to enjoy roasting one of his own on the spit a few more times before he lets her go. Society people love to play society games.

In total agreement with everyone else...Aubrey O'Day and Debbie Gibson are the two most annoying. That little sing-off they had with Wyclef? Newsflash, neither one of you chicks sounded good so the less talking you do about your "singing" on this show, the better...mmmkay? And I knew who Aubrey was, I watched every season of Making the Band that she was on and I enjoyed some of Danity Kane's songs. But for her to think she is on the celebrity level of some of those other women is delusion to the extreme. Anyone who uses Twitter as a measure of anything gets no respect from me.

George Takei's open appreciation of Lou Ferrigno's shirtlessness was one of the best moments I've ever seen on this show. Too bad having George and Clay on this season will give Trump the opportunity to pretend to be this huge champion of gay rights all while making many offensive and cringeworthy comments around homosexuality throughout the season.

Edited by PetuniaP, Feb 20, 2012 @ 12:28 AM.

Seal

Seal

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 12:26 AM

Which is not to say that Cheryl Tiegs is as spacey and slow as she seemed on the show. But, well, she seemed that way on the show. And she also doesn't seem to know how to dress herself in a particularly flattering way.

Not to pile on Cheryl, but I thought her hair was a mess compared to the other women. It was very frizzy and almost looked like it had been styled to cover up the fact that she's thinning on top. Given the fact that she was indeed one of the first supermodels, I was surprised that anyone let her appear on television looking like that.

DuckyinKy

DuckyinKy

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 12:32 AM

Wow, Victoria Gotti was associated with the mob? I wouldn't have known without the 500 references about sleeping with the fishes. That got old quick.

Raider Duck

Raider Duck

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 12:37 AM

Which is not to say that Cheryl Tiegs is as spacey and slow as she seemed on the show. But, well, she seemed that way on the show. And she also doesn't seem to know how to dress herself in a particularly flattering way.

Not to pile on Cheryl, but I thought her hair was a mess compared to the other women. It was very frizzy and almost looked like it had been styled to cover up the fact that she's thinning on top. Given the fact that she was indeed one of the first supermodels, I was surprised that anyone let her appear on television looking like that.

She came off very spacey. I actually liked the way she dressed, but she is another celebrity from the 1970s who had too much plastic surgery and now obviously does not have the money to keep it going (see also Loretta Swit and Tina Louise). Her face looked almost like modeling clay, and she was either wearing no makeup, or the wrong color for the boardroom.

Victoria Gotti came across as a selfish class A bitch...no way was she going anywhere. Especially if she's running around in Donald's circles. He's going to enjoy roasting one of his own on the spit a few more times before he lets her go. Society people love to play society games.

Victoria is Exhibit A for growing up as the daughter of a feared and respected Mafia boss; she had her ass kissed all through her formative years by people not wanting to get on John's bad side. She probably doesn't know how to approach someone outside her social circle as an equal.

So, aside from that mystery $300K donor, Paul actually got creamed. I kind of doubt the "mystery donor" was him, simply because (IIRC) Orange County Choppers isn't doing terribly well financially (pretty much relying on Discovery Channel money to keep open). Teller would be more likely.

TelevisionMary

TelevisionMary

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 12:47 AM

Did I actually hear that tool, Adam Corolla, say "All we need is one whale here to eat one sandwich" (whale meaning fat person). I swear I heard that tool say that.

Penn Jillette swallowing fire was pretty cool!

Victoria Gotti has too much botox on her upper lip, so her bow is gone (the bow is the thing between your lips and nose, and when it is gone, you know they are botoxed.

I will enjoy this show with Lisa Lampanelli, and Clay Aiken and Penn Jillette being my faves! Lisa likes to include Clay Aiken in her comedy routine, and George Takai is also knows fencing, so he is no meek weak person :)

nice PANTS

nice PANTS

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 12:50 AM

Did I actually hear that tool, Adam Corolla, say "All we need is one whale here to eat one sandwich" (whale meaning fat person). I swear I heard that tool say that.

A whale is someone who has a big bank account not a big body.

Stinger97

Stinger97

Stalker

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 12:53 AM

I heard that too, but I'm pretty sure he was using the term "whale" as someone who could/would drop a lot of money. Casinos refer to people like that as "high rollers" and "whales" all the time. Not disagreeing that Adam Carolla's a tool, but in this particular situation he wasn't.

Edited by Stinger97, Feb 20, 2012 @ 12:53 AM.

melodytrax

melodytrax

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 12:53 AM

Victoria Gotti's sons range from around 20 to 25 or 26. Is it really necessary to check in with them? They can't take care of themselves?

angelita100

angelita100

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 1:21 AM

I'm not sure if there is a difference between one big donor or a bunch of donors that gave 10K to 20K. It's just a matter of strategy, one that could have backfired on the guys if Paul hadn't come through.

TotalMagnum357

TotalMagnum357

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 2:00 AM

Was Dayanna married to JLo's ex Marc Anthony ?

Actually, it was Dayanara Torres (Miss Universe 1993) who was married to Marc Anthony.