23-13: "The Daughter Also Rises" 2012.02.12

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

11 replies to this topic

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2012 @ 7:34 PM

On Valentine's day, Lisa meets a boy, and things get to the point where they head off to a secret rendezvous so they can express their feelings for each other; Bart and Milhouse get help from a Mythbusters-type show in order to debunk some schoolyard legends

Only one more to go before #500!

ETA: Ralph as Cupid! Loved the early celebration couch gag. "Fox aint doin this again!" Moe had a point.

The Mythbusters were fun to watch. "What were we trying to prove again?" "Who cares?! Blowin' stuff up!"

"They must get so many valentines!" Milhouse was great tonight. Totally not shocked that he'd be into American Girl dolls. He's probably a brony, too.

Old Jewish Man summed up Pyramus & Thisbe quite well, there was no need to tell the actual damn story. Not even the Disney joke was worth it.

This whole episode made Marge...creepy. It was silly/weird when she was wondering why Lisa hadn't developed Oedipal tendencies, but...actually becoming clingy?! Yeah.

Also, they tried to pull Michael Cera off as a suave character (and no surprise when he turned out to not be as suave as he seemed to be). That's a first. Also, his character sounded more like Jack McBrayer does on Phineas and Ferb than Michael Cera.

I would've liked this episode more if the story made any damn sense. I felt like details were left out.

Edited by InvaderNorbert, Feb 12, 2012 @ 8:30 PM.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Feb 12, 2012 @ 8:47 PM

Not just a suave character, but a miniature Hemingway? Really?
I did enjoy Springfield Elementary "Mythbu- uh, Mythcrackers".

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

• Interests:I like TV.

Posted Feb 12, 2012 @ 10:31 PM

I just laughed way too hard at Homer on that boat at the end.

TDI Ashley

TDI Ashley

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 12, 2012 @ 10:40 PM

Eh, the jokes were fine. Too bad the story seemed pretty disjointed.

Kaboom

Kaboom

Stalker

Posted Feb 13, 2012 @ 8:52 AM

Ralph as Cupid was adorable.

ITA. I doubt I'll watch this ep again any time soon.

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted Feb 13, 2012 @ 3:48 PM

I felt the opposite way, the story was put together well (and by well I mean as basic as possible) but the jokes were bland.

I think my big problem is that I find most Lisa Simpson episodes boring, especially those in the Lisa Simpson's Perfect Life subgenre. (Though I like Lisa/Homer episodes oddly enough.) In this, it was the same bland, predictable, elementary school girl's fantasy we've seen from Lisa so many times before. These episodes are the Princess Penelopes of The Simpsons.

I did like Bart's b-plot though and would have liked more with that.

And, is it just me, or do Bart's girlfriends-for-an-episode have a lot more personality than Lisa's boyfriends-for-an-episode.

Edited by CantThinkUpName, Feb 13, 2012 @ 3:51 PM.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

Posted Feb 14, 2012 @ 8:06 AM

And, is it just me, or do Bart's girlfriends-for-an-episode have a lot more personality than Lisa's boyfriends-for-an-episode.

Does seem that way, doesn't it. Lisa tends to go for the bland. Even her celebrity crushes are dull: "Hi, you've reached the Corey hot-line. $4.95 a minute. Here are some words that rhyme with Corey: Gory. Story. Allegory. Montessori."

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 8:18 AM

Not a bad episode, but nothing really special. The only part I really really liked was Homer and Bart hanging out together, those scenes are always hilarious (like in the towtruck episode where bart was being towed on his skateboard behind homer's truck, or in the movie when they were on the roof). The part where Homer knocked Bart out with the baseball, then used slow pitches to wake him up was super funny.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 12:56 PM

The part where Homer knocked Bart out with the baseball, then used slow pitches to wake him up was super funny.

And amusing as all hell that they managed to make it look like Bart appreciated the fact that Homer did it that way.

CantThinkUpName

CantThinkUpName

Stalker

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 3:45 PM

The part where Homer knocked Bart out with the baseball, then used slow pitches to wake him up was super funny.

I am glad that this season is making Homer the well meaning father with half-assed parenting skills again. That's one of the character's best traits, and it has felt mostly lost in recent years.

Edited by CantThinkUpName, Feb 21, 2012 @ 3:46 PM.

oreo8704

oreo8704

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

I think my big problem is that I find most Lisa Simpson episodes boring, especially those in the Lisa Simpson's Perfect Life subgenre. (Though I like Lisa/Homer episodes oddly enough.) In this, it was the same bland, predictable, elementary school girl's fantasy we've seen from Lisa so many times before. These episodes are the Princess Penelopes of The Simpsons.......And, is it just me, or do Bart's girlfriends-for-an-episode have a lot more personality than Lisa's boyfriends-for-an-episode.

Her love interests are boring. I don't usually find Lisa's episodes to be any weaker than rest except when they give her bland love interest stories.

blackwing

blackwing

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 1:02 PM

I typically find the Lisa-centric episodes boring. The only good parts of this episode were the Bart/Homer scenes. The Lisa part seemed like a giant re-tread. Haven't we seen this story before? Lisa meets some boy, he stimulates her intellectually, blah blah blah. Not funny or entertaining.