The Bronson Pinchot Project

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

58 replies to this topic

bataviaduo

bataviaduo

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 10:41 AM

I hadn't heard anything about this show before and watched last night for lack of anything better. I enjoyed that it was low key as well as informative.

maggiethebeagle

maggiethebeagle

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 19, 2013 @ 9:25 AM

I do rather enjoy Bronson, and I liked this show. But I couldn't help but wonder how much work Bronson actually does when they showed a close-up of his hands while working in something and they appeared perfectly smooth, with manicured nails.

With that being said, I loved it when he flipped the one print and used the back as matting for another. I would never in a million years think of doing something like that.

(P.S. anyone else recognize the annoying music from Love It or List It? I kept expecting David & Hillary to pop in.)

Lola16

Lola16

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2013 @ 10:47 PM

(P.S. anyone else recognize the annoying music from Love It or List It? I kept expecting David & Hillary to pop in.)

Thank you! All I could think was that background music is supposed to, you know, be in the background and not take over the scene. It was so distracting!

nannyogg

nannyogg

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 10:47 PM

Huh. Just watched the peek-a-boo bedroom ep & now I'm super curious about B's relationship with Mikey. The latter said something like "10 years at Bronnie's place" & I was like "What? They live together?" Are they a couple? While I can see BP as gay, Mikey doesn't seem to be. So just friends? Was he a troubled teen BP took in? For some reason this really intrigues me.

Chit Chat

Chit Chat

Fanatic

Posted Jan 29, 2013 @ 8:00 PM

I liked the latest episode with Bronson buying the salvage rights to that house. I really appreciated how he went back when he was finished in order to show respect to the home. I like that about him.

I was worried though when Bronson talked about how bad the house smelled on the inside. None of the guys were wearing masks, so I was concerned about whatever mold or rat poop they were breathing in.

gazerguy

gazerguy

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 29, 2013 @ 8:13 PM

Saw the federal-style episode and it was quirky, to say the least. Will give it another try.

WRT the music, IIRC it's the same production company as LIOLI so they must share the muzak track.

Willowsmom

Willowsmom

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 14, 2013 @ 11:07 PM

I love the South Parlor guest room.

TVLady

TVLady

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 5:46 PM

I really do love this show. Bronson is fun to watch and I learn a lot from him about architecture, etc..

I've always wanted to attend the Brimfield Antique Show but I just live too far away. So it was fun to follow Bronson, Mikey & the other guy (I can't remember his name) as they set up their booth and as Bronson did some shopping (and buying!). But I wonder about those expensive, antique urns he bought for the front of his post office. Wouldn't he worry that something that he's now told the world is so valuable could be stolen? Yes, they're heavy and large, but if someone was determined to take them it would be doable. Same goes for the lanterns he hung outside. I'm sure everything is insured, but antiques that old are virtually irreplaceable!

Chit Chat

Chit Chat

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2013 @ 8:27 PM

But I wonder about those expensive, antique urns he bought for the front of his post office. Wouldn't he worry that something that he's now told the world is so valuable could be stolen?

I thought the same thing! He lives across the street, but he can't watch them 24/7!

Bronson and his team (Mikey & CJ especially) are a lot of fun to watch. I'm really impressed with how much Bronson knows about architecture. I know nothing, so it's fun to watch and learn! I wish he'd show a floor plan of his main house. I'm trying to figure out how all of the rooms he's redone so far fit into the layout.

MsGonzo

MsGonzo

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 19, 2013 @ 7:00 PM

I occasionally watch Bronson, and although I respect his attempt to conserve rather than renovate, his house is a living monument to lead paint. I'm sure that children are probably never going to live there, but it just bugs the stew out of me that he leaves all that peeling paint on every board he uses. I also wonder if he is ever going to landscape. That house just sits there as if it were dropped in place and has no co-relation to the property. I guess finding 200 year old bushes that have never been pruned, trimmed and clipped is no easy project, let alone transplanting them.

iwasish

iwasish

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2013 @ 3:42 PM

I'm super curious about B's relationship with Mikey

I don't get a gay vibe from Mikey. I think he may be either autistic or perhaps retarded in some way (not sure of the PC term). Maybe he recognized Bronson from TV and glommed on him like a puppy. Bronson needed a houseboy or gofer or whatever and has taken him under his wing.

Chit Chat

Chit Chat

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2013 @ 7:03 PM

Maybe he recognized Bronson from TV and glommed on him like a puppy.

I read one little blurb that said Mikey showed up 10 years ago to help move some stuff and never left! I'm not sure how accurate the info was that I read, so you might want to take that with a grain of salt! He & Bronson are funny together. Sometimes it's like watching 2 kids in a candy store when they're searching for antiques. I like the banter between them. I'm hoping that they'll have time to do an episode where they talk more about Mikey & CJ and how they all came to work with Bronson.

lulu42

lulu42

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 24, 2013 @ 3:52 AM

Mikey is in a relationship and has kids, according to his Facebook page.

http://www.facebook....michael.papusha

Yeah, I guess I kind of stalked Mikey. I was just wondering... <shrugs>

ccatk22

ccatk22

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 24, 2013 @ 5:29 PM

I really liked the garden/elf house. It really came together nicely.

Mondrianyone

Mondrianyone

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2013 @ 7:21 PM

It must be great to have the kind of resources that let you follow your whims the way he does. The house is totally impractical for a real person in the real world, but he obviously doesn't have to worry about things like child safety and resale value, so he gets to do just what he loves. It really is fun to watch. And I learn at least one new architectural term every week!

Also thought in one brief shot in the elf-house episode, where he wasn't wearing the schmatta on his head, he looked very handsome.

TVLady

TVLady

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 17, 2013 @ 3:31 PM

So I just watched the 'garden' show and I have to say that I don't like the end result. Usually, I kind of like what Bronson does, no matter how impractical it may be or how 'dirty' it may look (with the weathered & chipped paint--not my fave).

But in this episode where he finished off his backyard or garden, I have to say that I think he put much too much stuff back there making it really overcrowded: Three pagodas---one traditional looking one in the middle with two little porch-like ones on either side with each containing seating; a rock pond in the middle of it all with a post holding a fountain; two stone obelisks; two more posts, each holding urns that are, in turn, holding newly planted bushes that will probably be overgrown in a year or two and and will most likely end up destroying the urns; and finally, a pediment that frames the door to the garden with another urn on top of that (with another bush).

And being an animal lover myself, I wonder if Bronson likes pets, cats in particular. On this episode there was a cat on the porch of the first store he went to that he completely ignored. Same thing happened on one of the most recent episodes where he went to a friend's place to buy a statue and ignored his friend's cat that was sitting on a bench right next to his statue. Usually show hosts will at least acknowledge pets that they come into contact with (I'm especially thinking of Sarah Richardson), but not Bronson. Hmmm....

Mondrianyone

Mondrianyone

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 17, 2013 @ 3:54 PM

I have to say that I think he put much too much stuff back there

That was exactly my reaction. There was no place out there that felt tranquil, no place for the eye to just rest. It looked as if a garden-statuary business had exploded.

I was also thinking he must've made out like a bandit in his Hollywood days. That fountain was $58K, yes? Or am I confusing it with some other piece? And he just plows through those places saying "Must have this, must have that." That must be nice!

I haven't noticed his reaction, or lack of, to pets. I gush over every animal I meet, but not everybody's that way. Doesn't mean he's a bad person. We all have our interests. And God knows we can see what his is.

TVLady

TVLady

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 17, 2013 @ 5:35 PM

That fountain was $58K, yes? Or am I confusing it with some other piece?

The first statue he looked at was $58k, but then he went to an out building and that's where he bought his fountain and benches. They never said how much he paid for them and I'm curious what it was.

I gush over every animal I meet...

Me, too. A TOTAL gusher!

Chit Chat

Chit Chat

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2013 @ 7:23 AM

But in this episode where he finished off his backyard or garden, I have to say that I think he put much too much stuff back there making it really overcrowded:

I agree. It turned out more about the stuff in the garden rather than a true garden. One fountain and a few plants does not make up a garden, IMO! Having said that though, I understand Bronson's appreciation for all of the things he put in his garden. The fountain turned out nice. I like his enthusiasm whenever he finds a beautiful lady statue. I like the lighthearted feel of this show, but at the same time there's always something to be learned.

Thanks Bronson for making your show fun and entertaining. I've always been a fan of his.

eviewv

eviewv

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 25, 2013 @ 3:35 PM

I love this show and I'm glad he has the money to produce his whims. Look at the history he is saving. I don't care that he doesn't break a sweat. He's a creator and idea guy with the money. I have learned so much about architecture since this show started.

Mondrianyone

Mondrianyone

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2013 @ 3:55 PM

I love this show and I'm glad he has the money to produce his whims. Look at the history he is saving. I don't care that he doesn't break a sweat. He's a creator and idea guy with the money. I have learned so much about architecture since this show started.

I don't think you're going to get much of an argument on any of that!

I liked what he did with the entryway to the Decker house, especially the floor-to-ceiling windows. Now I hope he lets the view out there just breathe and be green and restful. I also thought that the plinth that young guy built for the table was really beautiful. And it made me happy to hear him say "I'm so in love with what I'm doing today!" I've often wondered what some of these guys make of the tasks they're asked to do, and that was nice to know.

Very clever of Bronson to use the floorboards with the paint still on them next to the walls. I wouldn't have had the sense to think it out like that.

Ima Pilgrim

Ima Pilgrim

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2013 @ 8:31 PM

I didn't like the garden, it looked like Stonehenge with a structure sticking up on every side, too much. Too devoid of plants for my taste, some color would have been nice, the cupola would look amazing with climbing vines or roses on it, the shrubs in the urns was just plain silly. Some nice artifacts, I'd kill for that fountain, but sometimes just because you can build it doesn't mean you should.

Otherwise, I do love what he does with salvage, the elf house and that gorgeous copper fretwork was to die for and very well done. I like the scale of his artifacts too, far bigger than you'd ever find in a normal home, but then in a 'normal' home, there wouldn't be room for enormous statues or plaster figures - his place looks like a museum.

CircusPeanuts

CircusPeanuts

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 31, 2013 @ 6:57 PM

I stumbled across a marathon and I'm about 3 episodes in. I love this show!!! Yes, BP's style isn't what I would choose, but it's very intriguing. I checked his profile in IMDB and he's had enough parts here and there, but is it enough to hire an entire crew of men + buy any antique you want? Maybe he managed his money well from the 90's? I'm sure his cost of living is v. low in rural PA.

What I'm trying to figure out is how he can be comfortable living in his house. I haven't seen anything that doesn't look like a construction site. There is a lot of plywood subflooring. I would at least want one room that is homey and has a rug!

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

• Interests:Left wing politics, sci-fi, sports, competitive reality shows

Posted Apr 9, 2013 @ 12:26 AM

Does Bronson live in any of his houses? I thought he just bought and restored them. I haven't seen all of the episodes, though.

ccatk22

ccatk22

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 28, 2013 @ 11:57 AM

Had to laugh at his description of a terrible bathroom- tiny sink, peel and stick floors....that's mine.

I'm not sure if he lives in the houses or just fixes them. Some of the rooms seem unfinished and in one of them in the main house (I believe) had three mini fridges. Sometimes you can see a tent outside- probably for the film crew, etc.

needschocolate

needschocolate

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2013 @ 8:05 PM

I don't think he lives at the houses. It doesn't look like there is anyplace to sleep. Has he done any bedrooms that weren't referred to a guest rooms? The only bed I remember seeing was in the Elf House. I have the image of him going home to some colorful mid-century modern ranch house.

I love this show. I find the renovations to be interesting, even though they are not my taste (too white, too many statues). I have actually learned something about architecture/history. But the best thing to me is the lack of drama. Bronson doesn't yell at the workers, and everyone seems to have a good time. No "Will they have enough money in the budget?" or "Will they be able to meet the fake deadline?"

For example -

On this show - Bronson and Mikey go to the barn to find a particular window, they find it, bring it back, and the carpenter makes it fit. Bronson loves how it looks.

On other shows - They go to the barn to find a particular window, and not be able to find it - cut to commercial - then they finally find it but Mikey steps on it and breaks part of the frame, Bronson yells, Mikey threatens to quit - will they be able to find a piece of wood to match it? - cut to commercial - they find matching wood and the carpenter fixes it, but when he goes to install it, he discovers - shudder - knob and tube wiring and now the whole wall needs to be ripped out. Will they have enough money to replace the walls? - Bronson has a teary moment while he decides which statue to sell. The get the money, replace the walls, and finally the window is put in. Bronson isn't happy that no one sees his vision and wants the window moved over 6 inches.

Chit Chat

Chit Chat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2013 @ 8:40 PM

That's funny needschocolate! I love the interaction between Bronson and his crew. I don't think you need much of a script when you've got Bronson to improvise!

As far as whether he lives in the main house, well, it's hard to tell. I try to catch glimpses when they're filming in there to see if there is a bedroom. Most of it looks like it's under construction on the inside. From the outside view the main house looks huge, so there could be a bedroom and an area he lives in that we're not privy to. I'd love for Bronson to walk us through the entire house just so we can get the layout of the place. I'm all about floor plans. I'm a little OCD about knowing how it's all laid out and how everything flows together. For some reason my brain needs to have that information!

Had to laugh at his description of a terrible bathroom- tiny sink, peel and stick floors....that's mine.

Bwah! "Tiny sink," check; "peel and stick floors," check; "terrible bathroom" (tile colors), check....sighs and hangs my head in shame. ;) As much as I loved that copper tub and beautiful, yet unaffordable, gas fireplace, I would've kept the wall separating it from the kitchen. I know this was more about the beauty of the tub and seeing outside, so I can understand that all practicality went straight out the window! That was a clever idea to hang the round window (minus the glass) over the big picture window. Poor Mikey though. He had to take out all of that glass he worked so hard to put in. I wonder how much stuff they end up re-doing since Bronson seems to change his mind fairly often. It's a fun show though and something that I look forward to weekly.

Edited by Chit Chat, Apr 30, 2013 @ 8:43 PM.

needschocolate

needschocolate

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2013 @ 9:11 PM

I would love to see a floor plan of the houses too.

I don't know if this is good news or bad news ----

(from DIY's press release, April 2013) Bronson Pinchot, Hollywood's favorite character actor and salvage and renovation expert, also gets a new 2014 spin-off. In Bronson Pinchot Saves America, Pinchot and Mikey, his trusted sidekick from DIY Network's The Bronson Pinchot Project, scavenge their way through the U.S. to rescue previous artifacts from demolition.

Does this mean the end to the Pennsylvania house renovations? - I was worried it would be cancelled when they show the new episodes at 11 pm on a Saturday night. On the other hand, I am glad Bronson and Mikey will still be on TV.

No premiere date set.

nannyogg

nannyogg

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2013 @ 9:54 PM

Ooo, the new show sounds good. At least he'll still have a show. To me the current show doesn't seem like it could last forever (well, it does seem like Bronson probably does change his mind and will do a room over & over...). Actually I think it's a funny scam. Basically, he is getting paid to remodel his own house as long as they film it. Like that Mikey is included too.

But - just saw the "bathroom" episode. No way, dude. Just no. First of all - a tub in a kitchen??? So many things wrong.

Let's see: small old house, lucky to have a bathroom on each floor. Pretty common for houses that age to have only one bathroom for the whole place added in. (Tons of houses like that where i live) So what does he do? Takes out probably the only toilet on that floor.

Next, I'm very sceptical of his claim that tub holds heat. All I've ever heard from people who have old iron tubs is, no matter how great they look, they are a pain in the neck to get warm. The actual bath is cold & always sucks.

Also, the giant window. Now if he was in a tiny, rustic cabin in the wilderness, the whole schtick would work, including the tub in the kitchen. But his house looks to be in the middle of a town! So even daytime bathing with the window uncovered is out.

Lastly, men just don't get the appeal of long, hot baths. One great part is being able to steam up the bathroom so it's still warm when you get out & put on lotion and stuff. There you're sitting in the tub, looking at the kitchen, thinking about what needs cleaning & what to make for dinner. Then you get out in a huge drafty room AND no cabinets & shelves for all you lotions & stuff.

It's just wrong.