8-14: "Special Project" 02.09.2012

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

60 replies to this topic

OhhhCocoa

OhhhCocoa

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 9, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

I didn't understand anything about this episode, to be honest. It just kept feeling like plot threads were dropping left and right, and I didn't get Andy or Dwight's motivations in half of their scenes. It just felt sloppy from start to finish.

Why did Dwight invite Pam to the team at the beginning and then never mention her again (or did I miss a reason for that)? What was the point of Jim's texting dilemma, besides giving him a reason to try to go? Not to mention, it was a flimsy reason to say the least. I felt like the whole thing was a jumbled mess.

I love Darryl and I like Val, but their relationship needs to advance a little faster because even that is boring me now.

I hate Kathy and any future plotlines suggested by her dialogue in the end tag. Yuck, ew, no, and also, puh-lease.

sarcasticisity

sarcasticisity

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 9, 2012 @ 10:16 PM

I am infuriated that the show might try to put someone between Jim and Pam. They've paid their dues, they are a strong and happy and healthy couple. "That marriage is bad. Who knows better than me?" What does that even mean? In what universe. I just can't believe that this show is degrading to...this.

On a lighter note, I did really like the Florida room, having lived in Pensacola for two years...hahah Dwight had it pretty accurate.

OhhhCocoa

OhhhCocoa

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 9, 2012 @ 10:27 PM

I am infuriated that the show might try to put someone between Jim and Pam. They've paid their dues, they are a strong and happy and healthy couple. "That marriage is bad. Who knows better than me?" What does that even mean? In what universe. I just can't believe that this show is degrading to...this.

Exactly! Either Kathy is delusional or a whole lot has happened off-screen that we are not aware of. Right? I really hope the show doesn't go there with Jim and Pam. My residual Jam love is really all that's holding the show together for me at this point.

reggiejax

reggiejax

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2012 @ 10:33 PM

I am absolutely positive now that my initial thoughts about Angela's monster baby were correct. There is no way she gave birth to him. It seemed plausible that she was impregnated a month earlier by Dwight, but her slim physique a mere 4 days later blows that out of the water. That will really put a damper on Dwights Perfectunschlang, or whatever he called it.

seminoles1

seminoles1

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 12:15 AM

I was initially happy that they were going to at least do something besides the perfect couple routine with Jim and Pam but I didn't want it to come from some girl who made it her goal to get with Jim. I was hoping for a more organic situation where they just started getting closer because they don't like anyone else in Florida and had a little drama that way.

Lazard000

Lazard000

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 12:35 AM

I am absolutely positive now that my initial thoughts about Angela's monster baby were correct. There is no way she gave birth to him. It seemed plausible that she was impregnated a month earlier by Dwight, but her slim physique a mere 4 days later blows that out of the water. That will really put a damper on Dwights Perfectunschlang, or whatever he called it.

It's a joke commenting on how unrealistic television pregnancies can be. Jenna Fischer had a real baby and needed a long maternity leave. Angela wasn't really pregnant and she's back the following week.

Edited by Lazard000, Feb 10, 2012 @ 12:36 AM.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 12:47 AM

Already a lot of hate for this K©athy chick on Twitter and Tumblr!

FtMyer7

FtMyer7

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 12:47 AM

Jim storylines always end with a reminder to viewers that Jim is the greatest guy in the world, so this can only end one way. Jim rejecting Kathy and running back to Scranton to help Pam with the kids.

Lazard000

Lazard000

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 12:53 AM

And Kathy ends up sleeping with Ryan.

niklj

niklj

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 1:05 AM

I didn't understand anything about this episode, to be honest. It just kept feeling like plot threads were dropping left and right, and I didn't get Andy or Dwight's motivations in half of their scenes. It just felt sloppy from start to finish.

Wooord. I was so confused the whole time but wasn't sure if it was the show or me.

Like:

1) Really, WHY is Kathy still there even though Pam is back? The writers tried to make a joke of it, but it just shows off how sloppy they are. I can understand Ryan still being there, but not this character who in shot was shown with nothing on her computer screen - she was basically staring at her desktop the whole time.

2) What is this whole boyfriend business with Val and why did her calling her boyfriend her "mom" make Darryl think he still has a chance?

3) Why did Andy come out and announce the new team and how was that decided? Was Erin's "I need to clear my head" really that persuasive?

4) Why was Dwight suddenly so happy about his new team at the end (did he really think that a coat check for your printers was a good idea?)

5) Why does Robert California have Jim's cellphone number?

6) Why is Erin so, so creepy now?

OK that last one wasn't specific to this episode, but seriously, I hate what they've done to Erin's character. Before she was kind of like Stanley, a little goofy and slow but still intrinsically good-natured, but now she's this clingy, mentally unstable character....Andy is looking at a Fatal Attraction future if he's not careful. I hope Erin really follows through and stays in Florida and we never see or hear from her again. Too bad, because Ellie Kemper is doing the best with what's she's been given.

What a horrible episode.

Bottle Rockets

Bottle Rockets

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 1:23 AM

Jim storylines always end with a reminder to viewers that Jim is the greatest guy in the world, so this can only end one way. Jim rejecting Kathy and running back to Scranton to help Pam with the kids.

This.

Although no one wants to admit it, the minute Jim and Pam got together is when the Office hit the skids. Breaking up the self proclaimed greatest couple in the world, even for a week, would be beneficial.

But it's just too little, too late and we all know how that story will end anyhow.

The Office isn't must see tv anymore and hasn't been for several seasons now. Not to say it's bad television but you simply aren't missing anything if you just wait until the full season is available on dvd.

Robert California continues to be pointless and might as well vanish into thin air

JanLevinsonScot

JanLevinsonScot

Couch Potato

• Interests:Facebook, Posting in Forums

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 1:30 AM

If I had a two month old baby and just came back to work, no way in Hell would I encourage my husband to go on a three week trip/vacation!

Maximum Taco

Maximum Taco

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 2:06 AM

What was the point of Jim's texting dilemma, besides giving him a reason to try to go? Not to mention, it was a flimsy reason to say the least. I felt like the whole thing was a jumbled mess.

I think it's just one of those "Robert California is both unbelievably terrifying and unbelievably compelling and captivating" type things. Jim totally doesn't want to go, but just like the house party, Robert can make him do whatever Robert wants even via text.

myriadphalanx

myriadphalanx

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 2:06 AM

No Gabe, no Robert California and gee, a good episode. It's not a coincidence.

Since we all know Jim and Pam aren't splitting up (and good lord, if Jim actually has feelings for Cathy, I'm quitting watching) the only drama is in if Cathy is really being positioned as a villain, or as simply a deluded character who will realize it herself and back off. I guess either is better than her current status as a total background character.

Michelleypie

Michelleypie

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 4:02 AM

I haven't posted in ages, because, in all honesty, I haven't had much faith in this show which I really feel has gone majorly down hill, but I have to post on this Kathy development.

It makes me very sad that the show has been reduced to this kind of a predictable low for ratings. Jim and Pam have not been perfect characters by any means; they've, at times, had entitlement issues (as per Pam asking the whole office not to bring any perfumes or foul smelling foods into the office to ease her pregnancy nausea), and there have been times where they've lost audiences. But I think, in some way, their imperfections as individuals and as a couple have given them appeal. They're not in love because they're perfect - they're in love because they seek one another for all that they are, strengths, weaknesses, what have you. The trend in fiction is for happy couples to see how imperfect their partner is, get bored, and look elsewhere. Regardless of how irritating the rest of the audience or the other characters may find Jim and Pam, they've found solace in one another, which, I think, is part of the reason I've rooted for them. This show has dared to bring a happy couple together and shown that risks of infidelity, the desire to look elsewhere, and running at the first sign of marital stress is NOT inevitable, and, with mass pop culture almost SCREAMING, "You can't stay married to one person forever; you'll get bored or drive each other nuts", this is a breath of fresh air. For Pam to have two kids, set up the cliched, "My wife has a post-dual-pregnancy body/sense of priorities, I have two babies and I feel trapped" scenario, further reinforced by his apparent distress in last week's Jury Duty episode, and throw in a gorgeous, desperate, flirty brunette to stir in the mix is AGAIN reinforcing this message that the whole love illusion in the beginning fizzles, and it all amounts to nothing but hormones.

Now, don't get me wrong, I agree with many here - I doubt Jim would openly pursue a relationship with this woman. If he does, the writers of this show have completely lost track of their characters and I will officially throw in the towel. I more envision him getting rip roaring drunk one day, not knowing exactly what he's doing, waking up in the sack next to her and then spending the remainder of the season desperately trying to win Pam back. I think it's kind of lazy writing to go this route. Instead of trying to shake up a relationship that took years to already establish to get ratings the TYPICAL way - by creating relationship drama that isn't in any way appealing - why not use another tactic? Why not focus on Jim and Pam as individuals and advance each of their unique stories - show Jim trying to get up the ladder, which he had mentioned early on in the series but never did. Show Pam revisiting her desire to pursue art and do something with that. This is a show about an OFFICE. It isn't a soap opera and it should not be reduced to one. It's done the love triangle thing SEVERAL times. It's done the infidelity thing with Roy thrown in the mix and Karen thrown in the mix. How about trying a new route?

Melancholiac

Melancholiac

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 6:45 AM

Hi...My name is Melancholiac and I am a former fan of The Office. I used to crave my Thursday fix and the contentment it would bring. Now I find myself just chasing the initial high from the early seasons. I know there will be times when I'll start jonesing for a fix, but all I can do it work my separation from The Office one day at a time.

PJWatcher

PJWatcher

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 8:19 AM

I liked almost every part of last night's episode except that Kathy End Tag. I mean, who is she talking to on the phone? Is this some kind of trap for Jim arranged by someone else? I dismissed that whole Kathy-Had-A-Thing-For-Jim speculation based on her one line in "Pool Party", but I guess this is supposed to go somewhere. I agree that we had to have missed some kind of set-up for this storyline.

On the other hand, it's nice to see Dwight being Dwight, proving that he is still an asset to the company while no denying his eccentricities. I loved the way he underminded Andy by verbalizing the trip to Florida as some type of merit-based reward as opposed to a way to get unproductive people out of the Office.

Andy, of course, wants everybody to like him and can't admit to half the office that he's letting some of the doofuses go to Florida because the rest of them are considered essential.

I can't decide whether I liked Dwight's Arctic Wolf line or "Florida Stanley" better.

pradawallflower

pradawallflower

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 8:37 AM

I liked most of last night's episode except the last lines, and the cold open. I'm sorry, but Pam offering to pay people? When did those two characters become desperate to be liked by everyone? I liked how they had each other to keep their sanity, they didn't really need anyone else's approval, but were almost friendly anyway. But this is just weird.

2) What is this whole boyfriend business with Val and why did her calling her boyfriend her "mom" make Darryl think he still has a chance?

I don't know, but to me it kindof said "I don't care about him, I care about you, and he's nothing to me..." Maybe he's an ex who can't get over her, or it's dead in her eyes? To me it seemed like she was saying she'd have both, or that the other guy didn't matter. It was truly strange though.

the Kathy thing is so dumb. Jim is not even half that kind of guy. It would truly be hilarious if Kathy ended up hooking up with Ryan. He's always seen in shot with Kelly, but are they even dating?

I can't decide whether I liked Dwight's Arctic Wolf line or "Florida Stanley" better.

Hahahaha definitely the Arctic Wolf and the weak-linked chain! How can the writers be so awesomely consistent with Dwight, and not the show in general?

I'm definitely happy that Jim and Pam are lasting, but they're both so boring and dull, and Pam is so unlikeable. I'm half-inclined to say that I wish Pam had stayed with Roy, at least she had some chance for development.

suzysite

suzysite

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 9:23 AM

The whole show felt a little like a setup for a spin-off to me. Like, let's round up a handful of wacky characters and send them off to do The Office: Tallahasse Edition with Dwight at the helm. They also left enough people behind to keep some wacky in PA. I know nothing about any of this...it just looked suspicious.

Or not.

Edited by suzysite, Feb 10, 2012 @ 9:28 AM.

rml24601

rml24601

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 10:02 AM

I don't know, but to me it kindof said "I don't care about him, I care about you, and he's nothing to me..." Maybe he's an ex who can't get over her, or it's dead in her eyes? To me it seemed like she was saying she'd have both, or that the other guy didn't matter. It was truly strange though.

I agree, this scene left me nonplussed. Darryl is a sensitive dude & I don't want him to get hurt by Val; she seems thoughtful enough that she wouldn't do that (I think?). It is kind of weird that someone's legit boyfriend would call up to find out the address; isn't that what Google is for? And if he were a legit boyfriend, wouldn't he know the address already? Just weird.

I loved that Dwight put up a picture of Casey Anthony in the conference room!

tominboston

tominboston

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 10:04 AM

My guess is that the impending Florida adventure is just a way to create a new scenario for the writers to work with, by sending some of the characters off to work in a different office environment and interact with each other on an extended road trip. It could be pretty funny, although I agree with the comments above about a "Jim cheats" scenario... I absolutely don't want to see that because to me the Jim-Pam relationship has been the one consistent bit of sanity in this show that emphasizes the weirdness of everyone else.

LockandLoad

LockandLoad

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 10:25 AM

I thought this was a good setup episode for the next couple of weeks worth of shows. It was not nearly as good as Pool Party or Christmas Wishes, but still a solid episode.

@Niklj The company would have Jim's cell phone number, so it wouldn't be hard for Robert California to get it...he just tells his secretary to get him Jim's cell number.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 10:29 AM

The Kathy thing is stupid and infuriating, of course, but otherwise I liked this episode quite a bit more than most of the rest of the season. I liked Jim's texting dilemma, the creation of the team, Darrell's awkwardness with Val, and Andy's overuse of the word "guys." There was good stuff for Stanley and Ryan, who are still my favorite members of the supporting cast, and it set up a nice arc for the next few episodes. And then they threw in completely unearned dramatic stakes.

ShelleySue

ShelleySue

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 10:33 AM

I liked almost every part of last night's episode except that Kathy End Tag.

I DVRed the show and watched it later. It cut off before the end tag. From all of your posts I think I know what it was, but was wondering if someone could give a brief, but detailed summary. Thanks.

Maddingcrowd

Maddingcrowd

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 11:18 AM

I was wondering what Robert C's intentions were regarding Jim. Did he want Jim to come to Florida on his own to offer him something there? It just seems odd that he wanted him to come for golf, just when a new project was starting in Florida.

I would think opening up stores in Florida would be something huge and you would need people with some marketing experience with stores which is different than paper sales. I can having Dwight involved, but outside of Ryan what could Erin, Stanley, (or Dwight's original choice of Toby) know or do about opening a store?

The end with Kathy really took me out of the story. It really did not fit the tone of either the office or a sitcom of any kind. Playing infidelity for laughs takes a very edgy show and the Office has never played to that type of humor. Angela really annoyed me in this episode (although I have never liked her). So are they saying she really loves her job so much that she would leave a 4 day old baby, or does she dislike her baby so much. I guess I don't want to see a character who flat out dislikes her baby, and I'm not sure Angela ever had any redeeming qualities for me.

Bookface

Bookface

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 11:20 AM

I DVRed the show and watched it later. It cut off before the end tag. From all of your posts I think I know what it was, but was wondering if someone could give a brief, but detailed summary. Thanks.

Just before getting on the coach/bus to Florida, Kathy is seen talking on the phone and we see her side of a conversation:

"All expenses paid. Yeah, Jim's gonna be there. That marriage is not good, nobody knows better than me. Definitely we will. It's three weeks in Tallahassee, what else are we gonna do?"

HyeChaps

HyeChaps

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 11:23 AM

I can see taking Stanley or Phyllis, with their sales experience. Also Ryan with his book learning. But Erin and Kathy? What a waste.

And I ask again, what the hell does Pam do?

lz1982

lz1982

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 11:54 AM

Thank you! I didn't get that either and thought I had missed something obvious.

It is kind of weird that someone's legit boyfriend would call up to find out the address; isn't that what Google is for? And if he were a legit boyfriend, wouldn't he know the address already? Just weird.

I thought that was really weird too.

JessH

JessH

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 12:43 PM

First time posting about The Office, and first time that the episode felt worthwhile.

I think Angela doesn't like the baby because as the audience, we are pretty sure the Senator is gay through Oscar and Ryan, he's probably not had sex with her, but here's Angela wanting her fantasy life with the Senator and it may be ruined by Dwight and what is clearly his baby. She may be back so early because of not wanting to be confronted with the consequences of her relationship with Dwight.

Also if she didn't gain all that much weight, she might not have had to lose to much.

I think Pam trying to pay wasn't so much weird desperation, but rather a competition with Angela that she has had all pregnancy long. Also, I've been in an office where someone yelled and screamed because there was peanut butter, in the office. Pam's "please don't make me puke" is realistic to me.

I missed the end tag, but seemed obvious where Kathy was going with Jim. I would hope the writers are sophisticated enough to not go a full blown "Jim cheated on me" but if they are going to a "Jim has to redeem himself" storyline, its more about some misunderstanding, and not waking up together the next day. It would RUIN the past of Jam. Kathy wouldn't be the first deluded character on this show.

And I see the fact that Ryan and Kelly are in shots together more the manipulation of Kelly for the documentary filmmakers. She gets in frame with him every chance she gets because she wants to be in frame with him every chance she gets.

Not sure what is going on with Darryl and Val, but it did seem like she was leaving an opening of some form for him. Its building slowly, I am not sure if the journey is worth it in this story as Darryl is Val's boss, but at least its a story of some form.

The other Jen

The other Jen

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 12:51 PM

The look on Andy's face when Dwight slammed the conference room door and screamed was hilarious. But that's about it.