20-6: 2012.02.06

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

225 replies to this topic

repag

repag

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2012 @ 3:55 AM

Is it common nowadays to say 'I'm prude?' Shouldn't that be 'I'm prudish' or 'I'm a prude.'

What she really is is scrude.

Edited by repag, Feb 12, 2012 @ 3:57 AM.

Wolfie65

Wolfie65

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2012 @ 10:19 AM

When they have all of it--like Andy F., Dr. Andy, Matt Grant did, imo, at least during their time on the show--the concept works.

Exactly. I'm still baffled not only by the fact that Jason and Molly actually married, but that they are (as far as I know) still together. In real life normality, the only way a 'Jason' gets anywhere near a 'Molly' is if he's loaded. Also puzzling is that Fleiss would take the risk of casting pudgy Mr. Average Ben as this supposedly oh-so-desirable super-hunk. He's not and the lack of interest on the part of the women shows. They must be under contract to not leave until sent packing, otherwise most of 'em would have probably flown the coop by now.
On a completely different note, has anyone noticed that there seems to be an emphasis on Eastern/SE European backgrounds lately? Brad, Jason, Ben, Ali, Deanna and I think Jillian all have Eastern European (sometimes 'anglicized') last names. Not saying this is good or bad, just noting the fact.

fionab

fionab

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2012 @ 10:55 AM

Brad, Jason, Ben, Ali, Deanna and I think Jillian all have Eastern European (sometimes 'anglicized') last names

Jillian Harris has an Eastern European last name?

The others all do, so I get your point... but I think that speaks to the demographics of the US and the people Fleiss chooses to be on the show more than anything else. We have barely had any contestants not of European descent, let alone stars. Deanna being Greek-American is about as exotic as he's willing to get. The rest have names that are generically American now that we're 100 years removed from the huge influx of Eastern European immigrants into the country. When you consider how many of the participants are from Texas or Chicago, which are heavily populated with people of Polish/German/Czech descent - its even less surprising. (Brad, Jake, Jenn Schefft)

But I would argue that even more are spectacularly Anglo: Andy Baldwin, Emily Maynard, Travis Stork, Andrew Firestone, Jillian Harris, Matt Grant, Jesse Palmer.

chocolatine

chocolatine

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2012 @ 12:49 PM

IIRC, her grandmother alluded to Ukranian roots on the HTD. But as a first generation Eastern European, I just wanted to say that Eastern and Southern Europe have a large diversity of looks, e.g. blue eyed and fair skinned (Ali and Brad), Ashkenazi Jewish (Mesnick), Mediterranean (Deanna), so I wouldn't put them all into one category.

shabbieshok

shabbieshok

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2012 @ 6:09 PM

IIRC, her grandmother alluded to Ukranian roots on the HTD.

Her grandma didn't just allude to Ukrainian roots, the family is very proud of them. Alberta, and northern Alberta which is where Jillian is originally from, was a favoured place for Ukrainian immigrants and there is a very large community of them that maintain their ethnic roots and customs. Ukrainian influence is big in all of western Canada and perogies and cabbage rolls are a favourite food. Agree with chocolatine though that Europeans bring a vast diversity of looks and traits to both Canada and the United States.

Firthient

Firthient

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2012 @ 7:23 PM

Her [Jillian] grandma didn't just allude to Ukrainian roots, the family is very proud of them.

When Jason visited Jillian's family, her grandmother told her that if Jason didn't pick her, she would take her back to Ukraine to find a husband. Poor Jillian looked mortified.

Eagle Eye

Eagle Eye

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 12, 2012 @ 11:11 PM

We all met Jillian's grandma (weird that they don't call her Baba) and know that she's got Ukrainian roots on her mom's side of the family, but she may have them on her dad's side as well. My family is of Ukrainian descent and we have relatives whose last name was originally "Haras" but they changed it to "Harris" after they came to Canada. Jillian's probably a long-lost cousin. I need to look into that. ;)

Kersplatt

Kersplatt

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 13, 2012 @ 4:59 AM

To say something nice about Ben: He DID genuinely laugh at Emily's "I've found another man" bit. His saying "You're funny." came later.

To say something nice about Casey: She was actually quite articulate when describing her feelings towards her ex-boyfriend to Chris Harrison. She got extremely inarticulate while trying to say the same thing to Ben's face.

Grimmest moment: Chris Harrison returning to the women and spinning Ben as a dispenser of wisdom. "I want to share with you something that Ben said." Ick.

wordperson

wordperson

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 13, 2012 @ 10:44 AM

Is it common nowadays to say 'I'm prude?' Shouldn't that be 'I'm prudish' or 'I'm a prude.' That phrase really threw me off.

Me too. I did not get that.

JenE4

JenE4

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 13, 2012 @ 10:48 AM

The quiz itself is hilarious. I took it for shits and grins and got all but one right, but apparently this isn't good enough because it felt like I was being chastised for not knowing all of the answers: "You know most of the answers. But a true fan would know every fact. You only got 5 out of 6 questions correct."

Jeesh! Sounds like something Ben would say to one of the ladies if she dare say something with which he doesn't agree! Maybe they had Ben write the quiz! {rolleyes}

fionab

fionab

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 13, 2012 @ 12:44 PM

My family is of Ukrainian descent and we have relatives whose last name was originally "Haras" but they changed it to "Harris" after they came to Canada.

Learn something new every day! The only Harrises I've ever known were straight up English... so I feel pretty silly.

Is it common nowadays to say 'I'm prude?

I don't think its terribly uncommon. I would say of myself: I'm awfully prude - it interfered with my willlingness to appear on the Bachelor. It sounds a little better with an adverb in there, but I wouldn't ever use the word "prudish". Perhaps its regional.

FWIW: It is ridiculous how excited I am for tonights new episode!

Amath

Amath

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 13, 2012 @ 12:53 PM

Same here. I'm kind of embarrassed to admit it, even in the company of like-minded people.

Bugs Meany

Bugs Meany

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 13, 2012 @ 12:57 PM

On a completely different note, has anyone noticed that there seems to be an emphasis on Eastern/SE European backgrounds lately? Brad, Jason, Ben, Ali, Deanna and I think Jillian all have Eastern European (sometimes 'anglicized') last names.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence. I can't see the producers making distinctions between different varieties of "white."

rasafrag

rasafrag

Channel Surfer

• Interests:Writing, reading, surfing the interwebz, watching TV and movies, swimming, playing with my puppies, online reviewing, enjoying life :D

Posted Feb 13, 2012 @ 1:47 PM

I've been sitting out this season because, well, this show just skeeves me out now. But I love the discussions so much that I've been laughing for about 3 hours when I should be writing.

Ben reminds of me of this guy: http://www.youtube.c...feature=related, only not as pasty or vaguely European. They're both so greasy and unappealing that you'd have to be gold-digging famewhore to want anything to do with them. At least Tommy Wiseau, while a shitty actor, is entertaining; Ben is maybe two primates into the human evolutionary chart.

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2012 @ 3:43 PM

Is it common nowadays to say 'I'm prude?' Shouldn't that be 'I'm prudish' or 'I'm a prude.' That phrase really threw me off.

I've heard similar things from teens/young adults recently, nouns as adjectives. Like "You're prejudice" or "He's bias".

Wibnix

Wibnix

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:Backgammon, reading, animals, Foo Fighters, lotsa TV.

Posted Feb 13, 2012 @ 4:48 PM

Same here. I'm kind of embarrassed to admit it, even in the company of like-minded people.

A great big WORD to amath and Fionab. You want to talk pathetic? I got engaged in December and I have been spending a lot of time at my fiance's place, which, btw, does not have internet access (yet-- when I move in it's the first thing I am doing). The past couple of weeks I have insisted we spend Monday nights at my place (freezing cold, twin bed, no proper living room furniture) specifically so that I can respond on the Bachelor thread!! I swear, tonight I just may take notes. I am THAT freaking enthralled. He, on the other hand, usually goes to bed at 9:00 due to being bored shitless by the show.

Edited by Wibnix, Feb 13, 2012 @ 4:49 PM.