Dance Academy

• Please log in to reply

97 replies to this topic

scapebabe

scapebabe

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 3:48 AM

I just watched the last few eps of Season 2 and my heart is broken. I rarely cry at tv shows but this had me reaching for the Kleenex.

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 6:02 AM

Same here scapebage,
Spoiler

Grace has the stupidest hair ever

I kept thinking they were going to reveal she had a mental breakdown and sawed at her hair with a bread knife - it was so extremely stupid that I couldn't believe it wasn't part of some plot.

I always figured Ethan smelled like Christmas because he used pine soap or some other pine product. I like Ethan, or maybe I just like that actor so much that I'm willing to let Ethan slide on his early-episodes jackassery.

I'm assuming I'm supposed to be rooting hardest for Tara but oddly enough it's Abigail of all people. (I would not have guessed that in S1.) I want her to figure out where she belongs and be happy.
Spoiler

Edited by randomchance, Apr 22, 2012 @ 6:14 AM.

meatball77

meatball77

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 8:51 AM

still waiting on the last two episodes but. .

Spoiler

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 9:10 AM

I was very glad to see Tara

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by randomchance, Apr 22, 2012 @ 6:11 PM.

tua20782

tua20782

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 4:02 PM

Spoiler

Edited by tua20782, Apr 23, 2012 @ 4:06 PM.

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 4:13 PM

I just watched the last few eps of Season 2 and my heart is broken. I rarely cry at tv shows but this had me reaching for the Kleenex.

IMDB spoiled it ages ago - so I'm glad I was prepared. Otherwise I would have been pissed. Come to think of it, I was prepared, but still hoping against it, so I am pissed.

Spoiler

I can safely say that Abigail is my favourite character on the show. She's just so interesting. And uncompromising.

meatball77

meatball77

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 4:26 PM

I love Abigail. I hated her in the first couple episodes but they've done a good job of making her a well rounded character.
Spoiler

clemens

clemens

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 6:37 PM

I just inhaled season 2 on Netflix over the weekend. Like many of you,
Spoiler

Anyone know how this show is received in Australia? Good ratings?

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 7:01 PM

The Red Shoes was the season finale, right? Because I held off reading anything about this show until it was over, although now I'm sorry that I wasn't spoiled.
Spoiler

Abigail is more interesting to me too, probably because they weren't turning themselves inside out trying to make her interesting the way they did with Tara. And because the flaws they gave Abigail were deliberate, not the accidental byproduct of making her a little too damn special. But unless someone is dancing really specifically badly, I have no idea how good or bad anyone is -
Spoiler

Edited by randomchance, Apr 23, 2012 @ 7:01 PM.

clemens

clemens

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 7:24 PM

I had similar thoughts, randomchance.
Spoiler

While watching the second season, I kept thinking about the physical appearance of the cast, particularly the girls. I can't help feeling that, if those (perfectly fit, lovely) actresses were living in Hollywood, they'd all probably be described as "curvy". Even Tara, with her "perfect ballet body". And I don't know if it's intentional or just youth fashion, but I love that they sometimes dress the characters in clothes that don't flatter them - ill-fitting sweaters, too short skirts. It feels so true to the teenaged years, to me. Their bodies are changing, they're trying to keep up with trends, they don't have a lot of money to buy well-cut clothes all the time - it's an awkward looking age for a lot of people, and this show captures that some of the time.

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 8:34 PM

I read somewhere that it was a deliberate decision on their part to cast healthy body types rather than your usual wafer-thin dancers, and I'll link to that interview if I can find it again. And I agree, bravo to them for that.

lmg2004

lmg2004

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 12:23 AM

To be honest, having nothing to do with body type, none of them look like pre-professional ballet students one year from graduation -- not even close. To compare, check out the real-life prix, Prix de Lausanne. It has a fantastic youtube channel. Anyways, I'm fine if they dumb down the technical difficulty, but none of them has the physicality (posture, way of standing/moving inside or even outside of the studio; again, I don't mean body type at all) of a ballet dancer. Sammy and Christian are the worst of the bunch in ballet scenes, though they look fine dancing in some other styles.

Spoiler

Ooh! Also, I've read that there will be a third season.

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 8:57 AM

I expected them to use

Spoiler

Spoiler

I checked out that Prix de Lausanne link, that is really cool. And I have no knowledge of ballet outside of what I've picked up from the various ballet movies/shows, so it was interesting to me that I could have watched one of the dancers for hours and another dancer one bored me but I figured she'd win. And yep, the girl who bored me won, and the girl I could have watched for hours got (I think) the people's choice or something (rusty French). I do see what you mean by the "physicality" and the way they move. The Dance Academians do not move like dancers when they're not dancing. In fact sometimes they move like a herd of puppies. And they aren't anywhere near Prix de Lausanne material. But I suppose if they were genuine Prix de Lausanne candidates they wouldn't be taking time off to do a TV show.

meatball77

meatball77

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 10:08 AM

None of the kids look like dancers who could go into professional ballet. Even having breasts big enough to need a bra pushes you out in many companies (contemporary companies and non-company jobs (broadway and hollywood type jobs aren't as strict). I'm glad they broke away from that though, there are too many stick thin people on tv as it is. Really any dancer who was wanting to be a professional dancer wouldn't have the time to do the show, those dancers are dancing 20-30 hours a week.

I'm glad it's getting a third season.

As for the last four episodes
Spoiler

lmg2004

lmg2004

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 10:22 AM

But I suppose if they were genuine Prix de Lausanne candidates they wouldn't be taking time off to do a TV show.

Really any dancer who was wanting to be a professional dancer wouldn't have the time to do the show, those dancers are dancing 20-30 hours a week.

For sure. Many of the background students (the unnamed classmates) look more like ballet dancers -- probably serious ex-students who have decided for whatever reason not to pursue an all-out career in dance -- but part of the difficulty for a show like this is finding people who have the subject matter skill set and can act for the camera and fit the character profiles, etc... Especially if they're not using doubles for any of the dancing, which I don't think they are. That's why I'm cool with them making the dancing easier than it would be for real-world ballet students. I just find it a bit surprising that they haven't coached the cast on some of that physicality stuff more, especially since they must (at least, I really hope!) have conditioning and dance classes during filming to keep in shape and make sure no one gets for-real injured.

Obviously, it hasn't been too detrimental, though, since I still actively seek this show out, watch it and enjoy it!

Edited to add quotes for context.

Edited by lmg2004, Apr 24, 2012 @ 10:23 AM.

meatball77

meatball77

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 8:39 PM

This show would be a terrific job for regular working dancers. The type that audition for SYTYCD.

lmg2004

lmg2004

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 7:02 AM

Indeed. Actually, the actor who plays Kayla was on the second season of SYTYCD Australia. She finished in the Top 6.

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 4:53 AM

Who was Kayla now?

By the way - to the ballet savvy here - knowing nothing about ballet but loving dance, I've figured that Xenia has to be a very good actress, otherwise, it would be weird to have the worst actress of the lot play Tara. Is that true though? Are the others better? Is the actress playing Abigail better, but wasn't just cast in the lead because she doesn't have the looks for it, they thought (I don't agree, she's pretty, but i can understand people thinking she wouldn't be believable as Tara). I'd really like to know.

lmg2004

lmg2004

Video Archivist

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 11:03 PM

Kayla is Christian's friend from "outside". She's popped up a bunch of times in the two seasons.

I think you're asking of Xenia is a very good dancer (rather than actress?)... Not especially. The actress playing Abigail is probably stronger, but she's less balletic in her style of movement. I think she's done a great job with Abigail anyway, so I'm glad that's how she was cast -- it could be a thankless role played poorly.

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 6:37 AM

By the way - to the ballet savvy here - knowing nothing about ballet but loving dance, I've figured that Xenia has to be a very good actress, otherwise, it would be weird to have the worst actress of the lot play Tara.

Hee you are right - the above should be good dancer.

dmmetler

dmmetler

Couch Potato

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 8:43 AM

I've spent most of the last week watching this show on Netflix. I have to say that, while the dancers aren't nearly the level of pre-professional ballet students their age, the teachers ARE pretty realistic as far as pre-pro programs go, IME, because you get the ones who have poured their life into their students' success (Miss Raine, which also explains her Grace-sized blind spot), those who see upcoming students as a threat (Saskia) and are mourning their career passing (every conservatory has at least one), and just the constant level of pressure and competition, coupled with finally, for once in your life, being with people who truly GET IT, all while struggling with usual adolescent issues, and, in a high school level residential program, a level of independence that many kids aren't dealing with until college.

I'm glad Sammy's dad accepted him-but I kind of expected as SOON as that happened that Sammy was done for. I was expecting either a heart attack or a fatal asthma attack on stage, though. They'd foreshadowed that pretty well on stage. I was also half expecting Ben to make the Prix, only to find that he's out of remission-it was kind of a relief when he wasn't one of the two called, because he's grown on me.

I SO want Grace to get her comeuppance. She's just a nasty piece of work, and I'm having trouble finding anything sympathetic about her.

Abigail, I have sympathy for-and I want to see her end up in musical theater where she truly shines. I was cheering when she decided to miss the contemporary round in order to be there for the opening night.

Tara has had two potentially career ending injuries in two seasons. I think it might be time to consider cutting your losses and start to look for colleges with good Dance education/management programs for when you start your own studio-because it seems unlikely that her professional career will be very long, even if it happens.

Regardless, I'm really enjoying this, and hoping there will be a 3rd season, at least on Netflix. I'm also wondering what other gems are out there from other countries-I MUCH prefer this to the typical 'tween/teen fare on US networks!

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

Posted May 24, 2012 @ 1:26 PM

A 3rd Season is confirmed, and I'm looking forward to it. I just hope they don't take as much time as what passed between Seasons 1&2. The actors might be too old by then.

Cherzdotes

Cherzdotes

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 1:37 PM

I caught parts of a couple of episodes of this on Teen Nick, but was underwhelmed. However, I watched the pilot on Netflix and ended up mainlining both seasons / series. It doesn't hurt that the episodes are so short. I'd find myself saying, "Do I have 25 minutes to watch another episode? SURE!"

Anyway, based on their website, I'm assuming Teen Nick has shown half of S1, so I'm going to spoiler tag anything that applies to second half S1 or S2.

Season 2 has a lot less of season 1's charme but the actors are better and the dancing looks kind of more polished, too... I still love Abigail and Sammy, while Kat (like her brother) is in her own little show with a predictable ending to come.

I get that Kat can be annoying, but I felt the show really
Spoiler

And Grace was
Spoiler
I feel with Abigail, she was set up in Season 1 to be a villain, be we were shown enough of her depth to understand that she was more than that. Or Dena Kaplan is a fantastic actress who imbibed enough life into Abigail that she did not fall into the predictable mustachio-twirling role. Maybe it's a combo of both.

But Grace
Spoiler

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 5:45 PM

Or Dena Kaplan is a fantastic actress who imbibed enough life into Abigail that she did not fall into the predictable mustachio-twirling role.

I think that's it - she's just talented enough to overcome the sort of bitch-edit character she was given. I started rooting for her long before she actually had any redeeming qualities, in spite of myself.

RealityCreator

RealityCreator

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 2:32 PM

I think you're asking of Xenia is a very good dancer (rather than actress?)... Not especially. The actress playing Abigail is probably stronger, but she's less balletic in her style of movement. I think she's done a great job with Abigail anyway, so I'm glad that's how she was cast -- it could be a thankless role played poorly.

I agree with this. Xenia is neither a *very* good dancer nor a *very* good actress. However, I do think she was well cast. She has a kind of innocence that exemplifies the country girl moving to the big city to follow her dreams. That quality is perfect for the role of Tara, and as a character and even as an actress she has certainly grown on me. (I've seen through Series 2, episode 14 - that's as many as were on Netflix.). I'm really enjoying how, as the series continues, Abigail becomes more and more layered and sympathetic. The actress who plays her has, as you say, done a great job with her character.

Since I see pre-professional ballet dancers every day, the appearance of the dancers on Dance Academy was jarring at first, but now I like it. I have read on dance related boards some young teens hopeful that they too can get into top ballet schools with body types like those on Dance Academy, so the downside is that it's putting unrealistic pictures (for now) into young students' heads. But beyond that, I think it's a good step for television to have a beloved teen series that features girls with healthy body types. Not that pre-professional ballet students have unhealthy body types (my own daughter is one, and she's very healthy), but a move in the direction of healthy body types being depicted in teen shows in general is a move in the right direction. Wonder when we'll start seeing it in the U.S.? Ever? Also, shifting the idea that ballet dancers must be very thin would be a good thing, I think.

I wouldn't expect actresses working on a T.V. show to have the same skill set as true pre-professional dancers - there's only so much time in a day! - and these actresses do not dance ballet the way pre-professional students do, for sure. They dance ballet more like competition dancers who have taken a lot of ballet, which for the purposes of this show is just fine. That being said, I am amazed and impressed at how much dancing the actresses, especially Xenia, do on the show. Not only do they have to memorize their scripts, but they have to learn and execute quite a bit of choreography for each episode. As Tara might say - well done.

Edited by RealityCreator, Jun 28, 2012 @ 2:33 PM.

divatothemax

divatothemax

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 6, 2012 @ 12:39 AM

I love this show sooo much. Just started watching it since Teen Nick has been playing it again. I'm going to devour season 2 on Netflix. I'm glad twop has a forum for it & can't wait for season 3!

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2012 @ 1:31 AM

For anyone who didn't know, Netflix has them up to S2 Episode 26 now. (Which I assume is the entire S2.) They added 15 through 26 so fast that the original 'new episodes' banner never expired.

Cherzdotes

Cherzdotes

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 6, 2012 @ 9:17 AM

Aw man, I got all excited thinking there were new episodes (at least new to me) to watch. But I'd already seen them all. Those have actually been on Netflix for awhile now, more than a month at least. So I rewatched the final episode anyway and managed to make it through the whole thing without crying this time. Yay.

Also, does anyone have any info on S3? Are they filming?

Edited by Cherzdotes, Jul 6, 2012 @ 9:18 AM.

randomchance

randomchance

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2012 @ 9:36 AM

I'm so truly sorry I got your hopes up! Netflix released the second half of season two about a week after the first half, and I wouldn't have known if I hadn't gone back to rewatch something since they never announced it anywhere.

Munchiewoman

Munchiewoman

Fanatic

Posted Aug 3, 2012 @ 4:27 PM

I just found this show and have watched through the episode where Tara organizes a formal dance. I was confused until I came onto this forum to read about Sammy. So he set up a first time sex night with Abigail only to say "it doesn't feel right" and now he's going to be gay? I don't get that. There's never been any indication at all that he's gay. In fact, in that very episode, he had to take a moment because he was too turned on by her. He's pretty much been all about her for a while and then now he's not? It wouldn't bother me so much if Abigail weren't already damaged enough as it is. Sammy's my favorite character and if I hadn't read what the real problem is, I would be very annoyed with his treating her so badly. She was finally starting to open up and relax her guard a bit and then he just starts avoiding her. Now, if this had happened to Tara, I'd be fine with it, because she annoys me worse than Joey Potter. And that's saying a lot.