8-11: "Nobody's Fault" 2012.02.06

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

49 replies to this topic

tricia-j

tricia-j

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 4:27 PM

So, I guess that year has just magically disappeared. House also referred to "a decade" that he's been on Vicodin, which I suppose could be correct, but by my calculation it has to be more than a decade since the infarction.

Not that it totally solves the timeline problem, but he was off vicodin from the beginning of Season 6 through Cuddy's surgery in Season 7. When he got 13 out of jail, he said it would have been their one year anniversary, so he and Cuddy were together quite a while and that didn't start until Season 7. If you throw in the magical missing year, a decade is not that far off.

lz1982

lz1982

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 4:42 PM

Not that it totally solves the timeline problem, but he was off vicodin from the beginning of Season 6 through Cuddy's surgery in Season 7. When he got 13 out of jail, he said it would have been their one year anniversary, so he and Cuddy were together quite a while and that didn't start until Season 7. If you throw in the magical missing year, a decade is not that far off.

Yes, but he also said he had surgery a decade ago, which is definitely off.

090108joanna

090108joanna

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 5:00 PM

Yes, but he also said he had surgery a decade ago, which is definitely off.

Yeah, this is the part of it that makes no sense at all. He could well have used other drugs for the first few years after the infarction, and not started on Vicodin right away, but the timing of the infarction seems pretty clear in canon. It's 8 years since Season 1 and 5 years before that he & Stacy broke up. That's a minimum of 13 years ago, and if Stacy stayed with him longer than a couple of months after his surgery, it would be even longer. I don't see any way his infarction could've been any later than 1999 (more than a decade ago).

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 6:05 PM

Well, I think he was just rounding off when he said he had surgery a decade ago. Colfield also said that Chase had been working for House for 10 years (and that's pretty much accurate) and I don't think the writers are that stupid to forget that House had been injured before ever hiring Chase or even starting his on diagnostic team (I'm trying to remember this all from memory, though; it's been a while since I watched the early episodes) so I think it was just a throwaway line and the writers didn't want to screw up by saying '10 years' or '15 years' so they went with 'a decade', which could imply it's been about that time frame, but not necessarily exactly 10 years.

bros402

bros402

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 12:08 AM

Therefore I believe the infarction had to have been around 12 years ago, rather than 10.

I forget, was he on vicodin right after it occurred?

QueenofCups

QueenofCups

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 2:50 AM

Did the hospital forget to pay their power bill? Why were they sitting in such dark places?

This bugged me too. Almost every scene was dark and dim, and it rained perpetually. Maybe meant by the director to be atmospheric, but just too obvious an example of the pathetic fallacy - the grim weather mirroring House's grim situation and the grim state of his psyche. (It was a dark and stormy night!)

TPTB even constructed set just for the occasion, or maybe they borrowed it from Law and Order. It made no architectural sense to have this never-before-seen gloomy, Edwardian chamber in PPTH, which is 20th Century modern building with lots of glass walls.

I loathed this episode. It was a "very special episode," and made zero sense.

Personally, I didn't care enough about this episode to loathe it, but I agree that it was a typical very special episode - overwrought and under thought.

The producers may have thought that getting two great actors in a room (Jeffrey Wright and Hugh Laurie) is enough, but it isn't. There must also be a good script. This episode doesn't even come close to "Three Men and Adena" on Homicide: Life on the Streets, or "Fly" on Breaking Bad. The contrived last minute reprieve ending alone was enough to doom this episode to mediocrity.

Edited by QueenofCups, Feb 8, 2012 @ 2:51 AM.

m3dix

m3dix

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 4:08 AM

I tend to agree with you, QoC. It was a better-than-average episode, especially when measured against those of the past two or three years, but we've seen it before, to some extent.

However, the final scene with Cofield totally blew.

Cofield was all set to smack House down (and probably rightly so), but changed his mind when the wife came in and said that House saved her husband? Bullshit. Whether or not House saves lives was not the issue at hand; it was his irresponsible and indiscriminate way of practicing medicine and the ultimate ramifications of the hostile working environment he created. House was right in his opinion that Cofield chickened out; however, his calling the man a coward (and in front of junior staff) was a deplorable sin and Cofield should've bitch-slapped House right out of his Nikes. Every time the writers had the opportunity to show Cofield as being a bad ass, they backed down. Now THAT's chicken shit. Cofield's last line should have been, "I'll let you know of my decision." Let everyone sweat for a few weeks.

Ghandisflipflop

Ghandisflipflop

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 8:51 AM

I had the feeling the interrogation room was at a different hospital (but I'm probably wrong). I personally loved the way House tore into the Inquisitor after he made his ruling. Still love that man!

Prothall

Prothall

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 9:54 AM

I think the reason House called Cofield a coward was also because he was feeling guilty over what happened, but, being House, couldn't just say that. So, IMO, he went after Cofield because he wanted to get smacked down and punished.

But then, at the end of season four, he told Amber that he didn't want to get off the bus (ie, go back to consciousness and his life) because it was going to be hard to face everyone and face his role in what happened to Amber, so there's two different responses there. In one case he wants to be punished, in another, he doesn't.

And as for the look of the library, compared to the hospital - the classroom they were in for the first part of season four was older and didn't have glass walls, or doors, or more modern stuff either. Perhaps the original hospital was the older style, and as money started coming in, they were able to add more modern buildings, and now use the older parts for teaching.

Driad

Driad

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 11:50 AM

Was the teacher exposed to hydrofluoric acid (HF) or hydrochloric acid (HCl)? The name sounded different when two people said it, and I don't have a recording. If it was HF, then (1) it should not have been in a high school in any state that I know about, and (2) with HF in his lungs he would have been dead or beyond saving, so no case. Either way, he should have been wearing eye protection when he did the demonstration.

QueenofCups

QueenofCups

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 2:10 PM

I heard hydrofluoric.

Edited by QueenofCups, Feb 8, 2012 @ 2:10 PM.

Bookface

Bookface

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 9:16 PM

Such a disappointment that it wasn't Adams who got stabbed. Repeatedly. With a broadsword.

And I like House calling Cofield a coward; because that's exactly what he is. He had already made his decision and he then let something entirely irrelevant change his mind. An incompetent coward.

jnashua

jnashua

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 10:16 PM

Such a disappointment that it wasn't Adams who got stabbed. Repeatedly. With a broadsword.

Maybe nobody in the prop dept could find the broadsword from 'Knight Fall.'

I'm kind of hoping that Chase's injury leaves him with a permanent limp or similar. This show seems to be wrapping up (I think Laurie himself has said he thinks this is the last season) and it'd be nice if the show seemed to make a definite choice about who House's 'successor' is. The writers have long waffled between Chase and Foreman. Overtly, the writers point to Foreman -- remember when Foreman was un-hirable in Season 4 because the world viewed him as 'House Lite'? -- but the subtler clues point to Chase; he seems to be the who gets to the correct diagnosis more often (witness Season 3, 'Finding Judas', 'Airborne' and others) and has personal demons similar to House's.

clem2

clem2

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 9, 2012 @ 6:48 AM

I, too, liked this episode and it really went by quickly... not something I've experienced recently. I missed the first minute or so and so wasn't sure why there was this meeting going on. At first I thought he was back with his psychiatrist!

Anyhow, I think the acting was great and not distracted from (think Grey's Anatomy when busloads of totally weird injuries come in and I turn the show off). So the meeting was the primary thing, and getting into House's psyche was the key. The patient was also interesting, and it showed how much House wants to solve puzzles that he went after the wife to tell her the final diagnosis even when he was off the case.

Her coming into the meeting was a bit timed too perfectly (as in felt "false"), but overall a very good episode. Even when House won the hearing, he had to point out that the investigator had planned to send him back to prison and seemed to almost feel he deserved it.

Uck to the wound they showed on Jesse Spencer... that was awfully realistic looking!

Shanna Marie

Shanna Marie

Stalker

Posted Feb 9, 2012 @ 2:44 PM

Did we ever see Foreman checking in on Chase? In just the previous episode, they were hanging out together, talking about Foreman's love life, and Chase deleted the incriminating photos from House's phone, so they do seem to actually be friends and have known each other a long time. Chase sat by his bed when he was in the amoeba brain coma. So where was Foreman when Chase was critically injured in the hospital Foreman is supposedly in charge of?

I guess it was more dramatic to show Foreman silhouetted against the rainy windows, alone in his office, though I would think House just standing and watching Chase through the windows would have been more dramatic if Foreman had been in there and House was hanging back and just watching instead of approaching, even when it was his two original ducklings in there together.

Calrice

Calrice

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 9, 2012 @ 3:08 PM

Did we ever see Foreman checking in on Chase? In just the previous episode, they were hanging out together, talking about Foreman's love life, and Chase deleted the incriminating photos from House's phone, so they do seem to actually be friends and have known each other a long time. Chase sat by his bed when he was in the amoeba brain coma. So where was Foreman when Chase was critically injured in the hospital Foreman is supposedly in charge of?

We didn't see Foreman anywhere near Chase, Shanna Marie. I would have been honestly surprised if we had. Foreman's relationship to Chase has always struck me as one of convenience for Foreman, not one of actual like. The deleting the photos from House's phone is a good example. Add in that he's go concerns about keeping his job in this episode & I don't think he'd go anywhere near Chase.

sacreseries

sacreseries

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 6:53 AM

I was surprise not to see Foreman around. And I really hope we will have a scene with them next week.

Till season 6, I think I would have agreed with Calrice but now Foreman and Chase seem to be friends. When, Chase and Taub came back earlier this season, there was a scene where Foreman expressed relief that Chase was back.
Maybe, it was, like Calrice think, just by convenience. But, I tend to think it wasnt. Just a perception.

NYC2007

NYC2007

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2012 @ 9:09 AM

I was completely unspoiled, and I found myself fervently hoping the Chase wasn't going to be dead at the end of the episode. For a character that really annoyed me at the beginning of this series, Jesse Spencer has completely won me over. Watching Hugh Laurie and Jesse Spencer in this episode was an absolute delight from start to finish.

Totally. I was so hoping he wouldn't die. They did this episode very well. I didn't even realize they weren't interviewing Chase until he got stabbed.

Also, was that David Anders - Sark as the POTW?

romantic idiot

romantic idiot

Stalker

• Interests:Urban fantasy and paranormal romance, Buffy, Angel, Firefly, VM, FNL, Friends, MASH, Avatar, House, Farscape, Roswell, Glee, True Blood, Community, P&R, 30 Rock, The Good Wife, Boss, Downton Abbey, Coupling, old SYTYCD, Leverage, White Collar, Jonathan Groff, mutton, chicken and eggs.

Posted Feb 13, 2012 @ 9:52 AM

Yes, that was Sark. I squealed a little too, when I saw him.

Re: Chase: I didn't realise he wasn't there too. And yes, seeing what they've done to Kumar & Amber, I was very afraid they were going to kill Chase off.

CoyoteBlue

CoyoteBlue

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2012 @ 11:09 PM

it'd be nice if the show seemed to make a definite choice about who House's 'successor' is. The writers have long waffled between Chase and Foreman. Overtly, the writers point to Foreman

I think it's been very clear that Chase is House's successor. Foreman is Cuddy 1.1, except wussier and more boring. (He's not Cuddy 2.0 because that would be a noticeable improvement on version 1.0. And he's not, imho.) Foreman has no real demons, and nothing is worth getting out of his box for. OTOH, I was genuinely surprised that Chase actually disappeared for that season(?) or so, because I was certain that he was House 2.0, and to me it was like they threw a huge wrench in the overall narrative that didn't get back on track until Chase returned.