7-13: "The Slice Girls" 2012.02.03

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

184 replies to this topic

hat

hat

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 4, 2012 @ 11:26 AM

I think it was a case of gynogenesis, where the female needs to mate, but the male doesn't contribute any DNA.

I'm not sure how this would possible or why the female would need to mate at all if she didn't need any DNA. Sperm is really nothing more than DNA, just like the egg.

enaiowen

enaiowen

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 4, 2012 @ 1:05 PM

It does happen in the animal kingdom though.

Gynogenesis:

Gynogenesis is a rare phenomenon in the realm of offspring-producing sexual strategies. Mixing aspects of both sexuality and asexuality, gynogenetic organisms produce offspring clonally while still requiring copulation with a sexual male.

Of course the article quoted is about beetles but if I remember correctly it was made pretty clear that despite their appearance the Amazons were not genetically human so I think it could work as an explanation.

femalecobbler

femalecobbler

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 5, 2012 @ 8:19 AM

Gynogenesis is a rare phenomenon in the realm of offspring-producing sexual strategies. Mixing aspects of both sexuality and asexuality, gynogenetic organisms produce offspring clonally while still requiring copulation with a sexual male

I believe the key word here is clone. The beatle clones itself using whatever she needs from the male, which must be something if not genes, yet the offspring is the clone of the mother. None of the female offspring of the Amazons resembled their mothers. Granted, as you said, the Amazons weren't supposed to be human, which may account for their inability to use the male genes, but the male had to serve a purpose and if the female was able to clone herself as the female leaf beatle can, then all the Amazons would be looking the same.

This wasn't the case, which makes me feel that the male contributed something, and to me, that makes Dean the father.

But since I doubt the writers can even think scientifically, let alone write scripts that make sense, I guess the whole thing is mute, especially since the daughter died.

enaiowen

enaiowen

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 5, 2012 @ 11:59 AM

But since I doubt the writers can even think scientifically, let alone write scripts that make sense, I guess the whole thing is mute, especially since the daughter died.

Agree with you 100% there. At the very least their highly touted research can't amount to much more than, "Oh, hey! That sounds like a cool idea/monster/concept."

But honestly, this is one of the few episodes I truly dislike and since I can't seem to make myself skip episodes when I do a re-watch I'm willing to grasp at a few straws if it will even remotely make things more plausible. lol

mizkat

mizkat

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2012 @ 12:28 PM

Ugh. What a crap episode--slow, predictable, and requiring both brothers to be complete idiots at various points. How long have they been hunting now? All of their lives? And they couldn't figure this out as soon as Dean heard Emma talk? Or when Sam heard the coroner mention the name of the bar? And while Sam was dumb to tell Dean to wait in the room, Dean was dumber for waiting. I have a hard time getting pissed at the characters themselves when they have to act like that for the sake of plot. They don't act stupid and douchey because they are, they act that way when its convenient for the writers. Character assassination in the first degree.

The only thing that didn't bother me was Dean's hesitation to kill Emma and Sam plugging her instead. Sam had just been thrown by an amazon bent to kill him and Emma had turned and faced him. See a threat, kill it. For Dean it wasn't that simple, and it shouldn't have been. At least that characterization was consistent, as mentioned upthread.

The convo in the car was the worst. I can't even wank it to make any sense. To me it came off more as the actors trying to figure out how to play it and just saying eff it, let's get out the words and be done with it.

I can't help but picture both of them banging their heads against the nearest wall when they get scripts like this. Whoever said Dean is drinking to escape the writing is spot on.