Revolution: Alias Dies The Fire

• Please log in to reply

6193 replies to this topic

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 11:21 PM

I would imagine that most people would be forced to leave their homes and it has been hinted, many times during the flashbacks, that people did leave their homes in search for food.

I agree to disagree.

Edited by TVspectator, Nov 12, 2012 @ 11:48 PM.

sgomes

sgomes

Fanatic

Posted Nov 12, 2012 @ 11:50 PM

The nuclear power plants, right. I looked and there are two just 21 miles outside of Philly and then another in Lancaster County, plus 3 Mile Island and it looks like 3-4 additional plants in the state. How did this group escape all the radiation?

wildling

wildling

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 12:01 AM

When the power went out, anyone in a hospital on life support died. There were also likely a lot of plane and car crashes when big machines moving at high speed suddenly became harder to control.

A fair number of people probably died in fires. After the blackout folks would resort to candles and barbecues and fireplaces, and accidents happen. And when no firetrucks can get there in time, your little accidents turn into major fires.

15 years is also plenty of opportunity for deadly weather events. Imagine having no way of predicting tornados and hurricanes, and little way to warn people when you do see one coming.

Problem is that Maggie got isolated from her family as I assume many people did in England, Australia and several other countries in different continents: How can they tell 90% of the world population died if they have no way to know how many people did die in the rest of the world?

I could believe 90% of the population died in what it's now known as the Monroe Republic. But I can't trust their math beyond what used to be the United States of America (this is a world without the internet).

Edited by wildling, Nov 13, 2012 @ 12:06 AM.

LibbySarah

LibbySarah

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 12:09 AM

As a Wisconsinite, I'm not a fan of the fact that we become part of the Republic... ;)

I'm intrigued by the people in the mountains who are fighting back. Hopefully, they'll come up again soon.

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 12:11 AM

The nuclear power plants, right. I looked and there are two just 21 miles outside of Philly and then another in Lancaster County, plus 3 Mile Island and it looks like 3-4 additional plants in the state. How did this group escape all the radiation?

You know, I would love to know what happened to those plants. That would be really interesting to see how people dealt with the possibility of the reactors overheating (I would imagine that the really smart people would get the hell away, from those plants, as soon as the power went out). Also, Monroe technically doesn't need to have the power back on, but instead could just use some left over materials, from the plants, and neatly delivers some to his enemies. Although, I really don't think people are worried about the power plants, for what ever reasons and are just going about their daily lives. We have seen multiple people starving or being shot/stab but we have never seen people dying from radiation sickness on the show. IMO, it seems that the writers want to focus on the starvation aspect of the story more than on any other aspect of survival.

ottoDbusdriver

ottoDbusdriver

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 12:47 AM

Aaron continues to be the worst ring-bearer, correction, amulet-bearer in the shire. How did he not keep this thing bolted to his belt/tied around his neck/shoved up his ass (a la The Watch segment of Pulp Fiction) so people couldn't casually steal it ? Aaron never even noticed that Mia had her hand in his pants (according to Miles). How did Mia even know where the amulet was -- Aaron never showed it to her, so she would have had to search EVERYWHERE on his person to find it. And they never showed them sitting/standing close together, so how exactly did she snag it so easily ?

Could they have dropped a few more anvils on Bratniss' head ? How Mia and Nora were just like her and Danny -- because they're family ? Except for all the lying, betrayal, and consorting with the militia.

Nora was really off her game -- she should have known something was up the minute she saw they had her sister -- a little too coincidental, so the reveal that Mia made a deal with Strausser was no surprise at all.

The melodrama at Melrosedelphia Place was just boring. Lady Macbeth is indeed grooming Neville to seize the throne from Monroe.

Grace and Randall are holed up in what looks like the remnants of a supercollider -- though we don't know where it's located. Maybe the amulets control this version of the LHC.

The plans for the machine that Rachel was building had some interesting notes

-- nest, nest dynamics, nest matrix
-- virus, virus protection
-- magnet + coil
-- plus a lot of mathematical and chemical formulas

It looked like Rachel was building a mini version of the supercollider (with a dash of flux capacitor mixed in).

Randall's computer map of amulets was only tracking 7 amulets -- 1 in Wyoming, another 1 in Wisconsin, 2 in Illinois, 1 in South Carolina, 1 in Texas, and the one in Philadelphia. If you add in the 2 amulets that Randall/Grace have, that leaves 3 unaccounted for.

Apparently there are 3 types of amulets -- Models A, B and C -- the one that Google guy had was a model C, and was currently active in Philadelphia (according to the screen). And the amulets are made from some sort of adamantium-like substance -- they're indestructible.

All this nonsense about finding a bridge to cross the river was stupid -- when the river wasn't even that wide where they jumped in. They could have just swam over any time, even with the rapids. Which makes the whole bridge crossing nonsense at the start of the episode moot.

Timewalker

Timewalker

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 12:55 AM

About that jumping in the river stuff... Aaron carefully makes sure his glasses are tucked away in a pocket. But nobody seems to worry about whether they'll DROWN if their various loose clothes, weapons, or backpacks get snagged on anything or drag them under. And later they look like they're having a weiner roast, instead of trying to dry off from an intense boatless ride down the rapids.

At least young Mia strongly resembled adult Mia. And Neville needs protection from his wife. She is Up To No Good.

Cynic

Cynic

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 2:01 AM

Oh yeah, Lady Neville is definitely up to no good.

I have been (reluctantly) willing to just go with the idea that the amulets control how electricity works, but for some reason them being indestructible annoys the hell out of me.

Hey Nora? Just a couple episodes ago, Aaron and Miles were totally willing to let you die to save Charlie because she's their family. Just saying. Oh and Charlie, meanwhile, made a deal to murder a total stranger in cold blood to save the people she cared about. I can understand being pissed at your sister, but don't act like you're choosing the moral high ground by hanging with these people.

Edited by Cynic, Nov 13, 2012 @ 3:04 AM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 3:30 AM

Has Neville not been feeding his wife? Good God she is skinny, almost sickly like. I remember the actress from 24 but I don't remember if she was that skinny.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 6:37 AM

So what's Charlie's brother been doing since he got to Philadelphia? He got to see his mom and I don't remember seeing him since then. Is he just sitting around twiddling his thumbs?

lynnea6

lynnea6

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 6:45 AM

I was thrilled that Nora would be gone, which lasted for all of about three minutes. Dammit. What I would love to see is Sgt. Strausser going on a killing spree and taking out everyone except Neville and Miles. It probably means that I should move on from this show.

henriPootel

henriPootel

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 7:53 AM

Why is Sgt. Strausser such a feared enemy again? Because he lays such effective traps that you don't see them coming and they're impossible to escape because he posts guys behind you?

Oh and Google? There's a reason Frodo wore the Ring around his neck on a chain. Worse ringbearer ever.

I've gotten to the point where I actually enjoy Bratniss' expressionless face. It's like she was just dropped in from another show and is still trying to figure out what's going on.

shura

shura

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 9:21 AM

I've gotten to the point where I actually enjoy Bratniss' expressionless face. It's like she was just dropped in from another show and is still trying to figure out what's going on.

Does this phase come before or after the one where her face makes you sick? I'm coming to the point where I can't stand her "acting" anymore. I wish I was exaggerating. It was especially evident in the scene where Bratniss tells Nora to go with Mia. Nora's face shows all kinds of emotions, Charlie's - nothing. Charlie has been with Nora for a while now, a couple of episodes ago Charlie was willing to risk her life and kill an innocent person for Nora. Now they are about to part their ways, probably forever. And Charlie's face shows nothing. Could the show maybe find a way to have Charlie wear a mask? It might help a little.

-- plus a lot of mathematical and chemical formulas

Chemical formulas? WTF? Why would you need to know chemical formulas while constructing a machine? And even if the chemical composition mattered, what would Rachel do with this info? Synthesize the necessary materials?

Hey Nora? Just a couple episodes ago, Aaron and Miles were totally willing to let you die to save Charlie because she's their family. Just saying. Oh and Charlie, meanwhile, made a deal to murder a total stranger in cold blood to save the people she cared about. I can understand being pissed at your sister, but don't act like you're choosing the moral high ground by hanging with these people.

What killed me was the fact that five minutes later Nora said that "two years ago I would have done the same thing [as Mia]". Wait, so you do understand Mia's motivations? Why the hell did you act all shocked and betrayed?

cmm226

cmm226

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 10:30 AM

Really hate Charlie and I don't care about Nora, but here's my question: if those pendants can turn the lights back on, why haven't the "good guys" done anything with them in all this time? Why were they keeping them so separate from each other?

YoureSoUrban

YoureSoUrban

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 10:46 AM

I really hope Neville can see that he's not immune to Lady Neville's plotting. "I know." as a response to "I love you" is never a good sign. I'd also be wary of that housekeeper. If she rats on the other guy to you, she can rat on you too.

Glad whiny Mia is gone. The younger version was even worse.

Edited by YoureSoUrban, Nov 14, 2012 @ 1:12 AM.

ZoloftBlob

ZoloftBlob

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 11:06 AM

I could believe 90% of the population died in what it's now known as the Monroe Republic. But I can't trust their math beyond what used to be the United States of America (this is a world without the internet).

I can believe in a massive 90% die off across the board because in the US, we are highly dependant on long haul resupply and the population centers are all urban. I'm actually finding these extensive communties and large mobile armies to be pretty implausible considering how there would have been a massive die off.

The magical necklaces are starting to be a sour point to me.

ramble

ramble

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 11:44 AM

Could we just have one episode focusing only on Monroe, Neville, Lady Macbeth & all other assorted militia evildoers. I have a strong feeling it would be the best episode so far, in large part due to an absent Bratniss.

Seriously Google you suck. You know you have the pendant of hope & much of the time you're staring at in plain view of anyone, rubbing it like a lucky charm, or swinging it around like a yo-yo. And I'm completely disappointed that Miles let you keep it once he knew what it was. Damn man you don't have to be a ninja warrior to hide a freaking locket on your person.

Bratniss... there are no words. I'm beginning to only hear a dull buzzing sound when she speaks. Maybe that's the sound of her brain trying to work.

Nora has begun to bore me. I was rooting for her sister to be a traitor. The fact that the band of bumblers is still alive is amazing. Did anyone really think the bridge crossing wasn't a trap? If I were Mia I would've wanted to turn them all in due to their stupidity. At this point I'm considering getting a Monroe tattoo.

TV Anonymous

TV Anonymous

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 12:05 PM

sgomes:

Considering that the "blackout" is able to turn off internal combustion engines cold, I would assume that it is also able to stop fission reaction. So I think what happened is that all the nuclear reactors in the world (including those aboard ships) just stopped during the blackout as the fission reaction somehow stopped. Of course, then there will be question about residual heat.

Lurkey

Lurkey

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 12:27 PM

Oookay, I think I'm out: not because of any of the pervasive Dumb that has permeated every moment of this show, but driven to it thanks to the preview for next week's Very Special Zeppisode. Really, show? REALLY?! Such a multitude of sins in that:

--NBC piling a gimmick on top of this turd suggests that they're starting to smell it, too.
--I suspect Charlie and her age bracket are not familiar with the oeuvre of Robert Plant and co.

But worst, most egregious, most unforgivable? That for their musical gimmick episode, they chose Led Zeppelin instead of...AC/DC.

COME ON SHOW YOU'RE NOT EVEN TRYING. No, don't get up, I'll show myself out... ;)

cupie

cupie

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 12:30 PM

California Uber Alles

wildling

wildling

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 12:36 PM

Could we just have one episode focusing only on Monroe, Neville, Lady Macbeth & all other assorted militia evildoers.

I would like to see a fresh perspective on them that would focus in something other than the evil doers who don't like Miles.

takingsides

takingsides

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 12:47 PM

The contrast between Bratniss and Nora's facial expressions is amazing.

I say this episode was one of the better episodes. Nothing mindblowing dumb this time around. And I rather like Miles/Nora. If only cause they haven't hit our heads over with it. They have an understanding despite their supposedly bad breakup. It really helps they kickass together and apart. Equally interested in Miles/Monroe, cause Monroe is so twisted over how Miles left him.

Gulftastic

Gulftastic

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 1:03 PM

'We're walking into a trap.....so we're just going to walk a bit further into it before we turn and run....wait for it...keep walking....wait for it.....NOW!'

Less Bratniss being an idiot=slightly better episode. I enjoyed the Macbethian politicking.

MistressBlot

MistressBlot

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 1:08 PM

But worst, most egregious, most unforgivable? That for their musical gimmick episode, they chose Led Zeppelin instead of...AC/DC.

Kripke was always sad that he couldn't afford Zeppelin for Supernatural. Now he can, for this unfortunate catalog of Dumb.

Ferrari

Ferrari

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 1:09 PM

We're walking into a trap.....so we're just going to walk a bit further into it before we turn and run....wait for it...keep walking....wait for it.....NOW!'

Yeah I didn't get that either. It made absolutely no sense to continue walking into the trap.

ZoloftBlob

ZoloftBlob

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 1:11 PM

I would like to see a fresh perspective on them that would focus in something other than the evil doers who don't like Miles.

Yeah, thats sort of one of the problems. Monroe is being portrayed as a monster bent on conquest, ok. Miles is the smart guy who realized too late that Monroe was into empire building...but not too late to completely teach Monroe how to form up the evil empire, including how to set up special, non electric schools where average kids are turned into soulless killing machines. Appparently everyone around Monroe sees that he's flaking out hard and in reality most of the peopel who work under him seem fairly rational and family orientated.... So why did Miles leave if he's the mastermind behind all the evil shit? And yes, I get the whole "I was disgusted with what it became" but really, he seems pretty sharp... sharp enough to see where this was heading.

Also it seems a little off that Monroe uses a demoralizing tactic as threatening his captains children whenever they step an inch out of line. Short term, on a serious issue? It works once. Long term? What people who are competant really learn is that people who are Monroe's lietenants get their families slaughtered and aren't any safer than the peasants.

Irish Wolf

Irish Wolf

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 1:25 PM

Considering that the "blackout" is able to turn off internal combustion engines cold, I would assume that it is also able to stop fission reaction.

It "turn[ed] off internal combustion engines cold" because an IC engine requires a constant supply of electricity to the spark plugs. That's why if you lose the alternator, your engine will only run until your battery dies - after that, no more spark, nothing to make the fuel combust. The magical field (screw science, I have to go with "a wizard did it" at this point, because nothing they've proposed seems to make any sense according to physics) keeps the electricity from leaving the battery and sparking the spark plugs.

Fission reactions, OTOH, are the inevitable result of having a certain mass of radioactive materials in close contact. The higher the levels of radiation, the smaller the mass required to go critical. When the power went out, the electromagnets holding the control rods out of the reactors died, and all the rods dropped - but there's still a fair bit of parasitic heat going on, and the coolant pumps died too, leaving no way to stop some rather unpleasant side effects (cf Fukushima-Daiichi)...

Cynic

Cynic

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 1:37 PM

'We're walking into a trap.....so we're just going to walk a bit further into it before we turn and run....wait for it...keep walking....wait for it.....NOW!'

Aww, I didn't see the beginning and now I'm sad I missed what sounds like an awesome piece of dumbassery.

I did get to watch the "ambush" of Nora towards the end when the pyscho henchman hid around the side of a building. What I didn't understand is how Nora didn't see the guys on horses right in front of her. Am I missing something there? I don't know it's the direction or blocking or what, but it seems like it happens a lot on this show that characters get surprised by stuff that appears to be directly in front of them.

bobalooga

bobalooga

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 2:30 PM

Notes on this episode.

How fortunate for Bratniss that one of the classes taught back in her suburban farm community was "Frequency of Pennsylvania Bridges: How Closely Spaced They Surely Are" . I'm guessing it was an elective.

It doesn't matter if a boat is destroyed by the militia on sight, Druncle Dumbass: get a frickin LOG and float across the river! Oh, I'm wrong, the militia probably has billions of spare guns and troops to guard EVERY mile of EVERY river in their territory.

That was the WORST ambush EVER. Sorry, but not only is the militia NOT the uber-killing machine that DD mentioned they were a few eps ago, this unit has in fact never been trained in anything at all. They can't shoot, can't set up an ambush, can't maintain discipline on the "ambush". Must be some other elite unit trained to make uniforms.

Rather than flee into the Forests of Abundant Cover/Concealment with Unlimited Paths Along Which to Flee, Druncle Dumbass decides to put their backs to a wall or two in an enclosed space. Sheesh. I think I get it! DD actually only THINKS he's elite, and really did teach the militia everything he knows! It's like watching 2 six year old slapfight.

Fortunately, the searchers really are that dumb/bad, so we get to see Nora deny Charlie valuable information. "Who's Strausser?" An appropriate response might include information of a tactical or even strategic nature. Instead, Nora doesn't tell her anything.

I'm four minutes in, and not ONE part of this episode makes sense yet. Sure is fun snarking, though!

Ouisch

Ouisch

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2012 @ 2:32 PM

Y'all are missing the most important survival aspect - Nora is never without luciously purple-lipsticked lips.