Doomsday Preppers

• Please log in to reply

216 replies to this topic

Boton

Boton

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 9:29 AM

Finally remembered to set a season pass for this show. Absolutely loved the hippy-drippy-trippy tribe in New England with a beautiful garden, lovely bees, and absolutely no guns (that now the entire world knows). Loved the young guy who mused about how he would welcome a gang of mauraders in to a feast, assess if their skills would help the community, and then, in that same dreamy voice, said "and if not, I guess I'd slit their throats while they slept." That's the ticket, my friend! No one's going to take his honey and veggies!

Pandora3

Pandora3

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 10:23 AM

They've set the dials to full crazy now. The guy who ate roadkill and ceremonially presented his son with his umbilical cord---yikes. I wondered where the mom was too, did she live with them but not agree to appear on camera? You'd think her concerns would extend to her children, immortalized for the world to see playing "armed intruder" with daddy. Where the hell is DFACS when you need them?

HandBanana

HandBanana

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 11:08 AM

hey've set the dials to full crazy now. The guy who ate roadkill and ceremonially presented his son with his umbilical cord---yikes. I wondered where the mom was too, did she live with them but not agree to appear on camera? You'd think her concerns would extend to her children, immortalized for the world to see playing "armed intruder" with daddy. Where the hell is DFACS when you need them?

Segments like that are depressing, to see some paranoid kook drag his kids into his apocalyptic visions. I also wondered about the mom, but it wasn't addressed. I think they'd have said if he was single, but who knows. The umbilical cord was odd but not dangerous, eating roadkill could be considered eco-friendly and efficient; it's the constant fear-mongering about what's going to supposedly happen to them and how they're going to be beset with marauders that bothers me.

I also hope somebody called the Maine social services department to complain, but also wonder if they'd even do anything about kids being forced to live with someone who doesn't physically abuse or neglect them, but (imo) tortures them mentally by teaching them about this supposed future disaster heading their way. Unfortunately, I doubt it. This guy in Maine was like the guy in Florida who was going to build a compound in the Appalachians and was dragging his poor children along.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2012 @ 11:18 AM

I also hope somebody called the Maine social services department to complain, but also wonder if they'd even do anything about kids being forced to live with someone who doesn't physically abuse or neglect them, but (imo) tortures them mentally by teaching them about this supposed future disaster heading their way. Unfortunately, I doubt it. This guy in Maine was like the guy in Florida who was going to build a compound in the Appalachians and was dragging his poor children along.

What gets me is if the Apocalypse really did happen, what would these people seriously do? What would the children do for playmates? What would happen as they grew up and started to think about sex. What would the parents do then? It reminds me of that movie from the 70's, "The Savage Is Loose."

Cejaye

Cejaye

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 7:43 PM

I was pretty amused when we found out that the guy who was worried about over-population causing problems has three kids. Yeah, it's not like he had seven or fourteen, but if you're that worried about it, you'd think you'd only have one kid (or none).

ETA: I was also amused by the editors of this show. The possible condo buyer asked that her identity not be shown for security reasons, so what do they do? Show just different bits of her face at a time (either her nose up, or her chin up) and not disguise her voice. I'm sure it'd be pretty easy for someone to photo-shop what they showed of her face together to get a full picture of her face.

Edited by Cejaye, Mar 3, 2012 @ 8:10 PM.

Pepper Mostly

Pepper Mostly

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 4:43 PM

I love how specific the individual disasters are. "We are preparing for a polar shift" "I am preparing for a complete absence of oil". What do they do if their disaster of choice does not occur??

Houston girl was just a leetle too excited about the possibility of "having to prostitute" for food. I was quite sure that scenario played a big part in her and her boyfriend's fantasy life. And yeah, if she works out four hours a day, I'm the reanimated corpse of Elizabeth Taylor.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 6:46 PM

Houston girl was just a leetle too excited about the possibility of "having to prostitute" for food.

Yeah, I noticed that. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that in the credits, when she's hiking in front of the neon cross, I thought it was a stock footage clip of an actual prostitute. So when I saw it was part of her segment, I was like, "Oh!....oh...."

80sBaby

80sBaby

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 10:30 PM

The seed guy was CREEPY!

The commercial with the "I'm a prepper" song was definately making of fun of the preppers. I wonder how they feel about it?

The guy with the cart had a good shelter but does he really think he would be able to pull that cart during the "polar shift"?? It was hard for his SUV to get up there.

sunsheyen

sunsheyen

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 8:55 AM

My 11yr old & I were super freaked out by seedman. From his overall demeanor to his poorly thought out ideas. His future seeds would grow in what soil and with what water? Oh yeah the radiation contaminated kind. & we watched it a couple of times, & are sure there was a weed grow in that shelter, which supports the pot buy gone wrong version of his " they wanted my seeds" robbery story. Wackjob.

The cart was an interesting idea, & good for him.if they've turned their welding skills into a business.

I still get heebie jeebies about canned meats. That meatloaf in a jar was way too much.

Boton

Boton

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 9:04 AM

I love how specific the individual disasters are. "We are preparing for a polar shift" "I am preparing for a complete absence of oil". What do they do if their disaster of choice does not occur??

I assume that's just part of the format of the show. Perhaps these are the worst case scenarios that these folks are most afraid of or feel are particularly "likely" (among unlikely events), but I don't think preppers prepare for just a single event. Most that I know have a worst case scenario in mind but know that they are much more likely to use their preps to handle tornados or power outages or garden-variety job loss.

The commercial with the "I'm a prepper" song was definately making of fun of the preppers. I wonder how they feel about it?

Well, I'm a (minor) prepper, and I love it! Both "I'm a Prepper" and "TEOTWAWKI" are commercials I will rewind and watch again. I see it as poking mild fun at a lifestyle that others might not understand, and it makes it a little more accessible. Heck, if it gets a few more people to watch this show with the intention of making fun but then inspires them to have a few extra cans of Spam in the house so they don't freak out and clear the shelves at the grocery every time a snow storm is on the way, I'll count it a prepper victory.

Pandora3

Pandora3

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 9:19 PM

I swear, this show has become my weekly guilty pleasure. But after giggling while the woman with recurrent bad dreams taught her child the family code phrase "the shit has hit the fan," I think I've reached a new moral low.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 9:45 PM

Oh, my goodness. The old hippie couple in the abandoned missile silo had actually made a very attractive space, but their chosen group of survivors and their 'skills', yikes. Biggest problem (to me) was that none of them were child bearing age...kind of a problem if you intend to restart civilization. Second was that they all seemed to have skills like 'intuitive healer', not an actual nurse, chemist, or carpenter in the bunch.
Plus all the drumming would drive you nuts eventually.

And I felt so sorry for the poor little girl of that fat red head and the old granite installer guy. Imagine Mommy Dearest sending you off the dreamland with her nutty 'visions' of Ecopolypse.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 10:46 PM

The guy with the cart had a good shelter but does he really think he would be able to pull that cart during the "polar shift"?? It was hard for his SUV to get up there.

What confused me about the cart was that he has four kids, but he, the wife, and the four (now little) kids barely fit into it. If the polar shift doesn't happen before the kids grow, won't he need another one, or a bigger one? Getting it up a mountain road was just a portion of the problem with the cart!

While I'm not too perturbed with preppers with no, or one or two, small children, the preppers with a ton of kids always get on my nerves. What comes first, the kids or the prepping? That was the other thing about cart guy that bothered me: if you have to trek into the Rockies to get to your safe house, dragging a mess of kids up icy mountain roads, quit breeding already!

Any fear I had of seed guy was gone when I heard the ending of the "Craigslist hold up" story. He was allegedly trying to score? Wow.

The Atlanta family made pretty good sense, actually.

I watched the "back-to-nature" guy, Michael James Patrick Douglas, from Maine. He truly scares me. No, really. His statement that his middle child is "going away from the path" worried me, because not only were they keeping the kids out of school, but what about when the kids grow up? Are they not allowed to move out, go to college, get a job? (Okay, I calmed down a little when the kid was riding a bike with his iPod on.) His poor wife looked skeptical when he walked in with the roadkill for dinner. Multiple self-defense drills, several times a day, everyday? If you hear about some kid accidentally offing his dad in rural Maine, you'll know what happened. The buckskin outfit looked like it was a costume; real buckskin doesn't fray so much. The "rite of passage" he did with his kid was kind of nice, but you could tell by the kid's interviews he was just trying to get his dad off his back.

The "luxury survival condo" guy was preying on others' fears, specifically those with the money to afford it. It just smacks of "Land of the Dead", and I wouldn't be surprised if he has seen the movie. But it's the most solid thing I've seen on one of these shows. Funny how the potential buyer didn't want her face to be shown on camera, just jump cuts.

Becky Brown from Salt Lake City was funny. Her study group was settling in and "Well, I'm glad you're here! I just want to talk about something we haven't talked much about the government, it's not doing too well...", then cut to her friends, making faces. Her contention about how she "studied" the possibility of martial law, and if she studied it, she should do something about it seemed disingenuous. Her complaint about no personal life was kind of a "duh" moment. But, if she's a senior in college, just how is paying for all of the $50,000 of food, and a tazer? How is she affording COLLEGE? I'm guessing she's on grants and loans, which are supplied by the GOVERNMENT! Wow, smart girl, talking about how the government having a "hostile takeover" on national TV. /sarcasm

Her trainer protecting his identity made sense, but she made no sense: "I'm a girl, I'm not supposed to love guns!" So, you announce on national TV you have $50K in food in your apartment, AND that you have a tazer, AND you blame the government, but the gun was the last thing you thought of? It was odd that a little college girl from the suburbs of Utah was the most paranoid of the episode.

GeoBQn

GeoBQn

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 11:47 PM

My dad and I were cracking up over the hippie couple. The quote of the night was, "My wife believes in non-violence . . . but I don't." Not so funny was that his wife's skin was a sickly shade of yellow in many scenes.

Dream Lady, I regularly dream about the world ending. I even had a dream like that the day before 9/11. They aren't prophetic--they are a sign that I read too much post-apocalyptic fiction and have it on my mind frequently. Try taking a month or two off from you prepping and see if you still have that dream then.

Pandora3

Pandora3

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 7:08 AM

My dad and I were cracking up over the hippie couple. The quote of the night was, "My wife believes in non-violence . . . but I don't."

I loved the end where the experts advised him to practice with his weapons and he said "our consciousness is on different planes." Whoa there, fella. And given the choice between living in the silo with his hippie drum circle intuitive healer types or the zombie apocalypse outside, I might prefer the latter.

Pepper Mostly

Pepper Mostly

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 9:52 AM

Becky Brown from Salt Lake City was funny. Her study group was settling in and "Well, I'm glad you're here! I just want to talk about something we haven't talked much about the government, it's not doing too well...", then cut to her friends, making faces.

She was HILARIOUS. "If the government takes over..." takes over what? Jeez girl, read a book once in a while. The government is in charge, that's what makes them the government. The shots of her looking out the window, watching the state house, were comedy gold. Becky Brown, on the watch!

I watched the "back-to-nature" guy, Michael James Patrick Douglas, from Maine. He truly scares me. No, really. His statement that his middle child is "going away from the path" worried me, because not only were they keeping the kids out of school, but what about when the kids grow up? Are they not allowed to move out, go to college, get a job? (Okay, I calmed down a little when the kid was riding a bike with his iPod on.)

He reminded me of the father in The Mosquito Coast. Crazy pie. The middle kid broke my heart. You could see he was mortified. "Geez, dad, I thought I'd ride my bike then play Xbox for a while. And can I go over Kyle's house? They're having macaroni and cheese, I like that better than roadkill." The older kid and the little girl seemed to have their tickets punched on the Crazy Train but the middle boy clearly wants to live a normal life. That dad gave me the creeps.

kinda sketchy

kinda sketchy

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 9:55 AM

Any fear I had of seed guy was gone when I heard the ending of the "Craigslist hold up" story. He was allegedly trying to score? Wow.

Oh I was wondering what the real story was behind that. Dude was nuttier than a shit house rat.

The Atlanta family made pretty good sense, actually.

Eh. I didn't think so. God knows they are PREPARED as all get out but it looks like they live and breathe it. Their every waking moment appears to be spent canning, storing, trading out gas so it doesn't get old, rotating stock, making fire bricks, etc. For something that "might" happen. I don't think its healthy to raise your kids with this FEAR instilled in them. It is good to make them aware of things that are going on and have a general plan in mind which you could make them aware of IF something happened but damn, let them live in between now and the hypothetical wig out.

EastCoast38

EastCoast38

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 10:02 AM

I'm a "Closet Prepper" have been for a couple of years. While I don't believe that "the world will end" this year, I am ready to meet my maker if that happens. I prep because I CAN. If I lose my job tomorrow, at least I am mostly out of debt. I don't have a huge mortgage and I have NO credit cards. If I lose my job tomorrow and can't afford to pay my heat bill, I have alternate heat and cooking sources to sustain my family until my income picks up. If I lose my job tomorrow, I don't have to worry about going to a grocery store for months. I have all my needs met right at home in my pantry. I don't believe the doomsday crap and I love the show for entertainment value, but the first rule of prepping is you don't tell people your doing it. To go on national tv and disclose your location, name, etc. is NOT what preppers do. The people who believe that "all preppers are wackjobs" because they watched this show are ignorant. You can't believe eveything you watch on tv. You can't expect the government to take care of you (unless your one of those welfare dirtbags). IF the SHTF at least I'm prepared, more than what I can say for most folks.

The guy who shot himself a few episodes back was the kicker for me. He made really neat gadgets that I considered buying until he shot himself. If this guy can't use a firearms, how the heck am I suppose to feel safe that his gadget works?

Melancholiac

Melancholiac

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 12:50 PM

I would rather face a polar shift, EMT pulse, massive Yellowstone eruption, global economic collapse, zombie apocalypse, a global pandemic and depletion of all the earth's natural resources armed with nothing more than a toothpick and wearing nothing more than a Speedo rather than spend 30 minutes underground with the hippie couple and their hand-picked tribe.

303george

303george

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 12:59 PM

The guy with the spider hole was great. Hide all day underground, then come out a night pick off the survivors one by one. Didn't Saddam Hussein have a similar plan? And once he is in the hole and shuts the lid, how will he then cover the lid with dirt to camouflage it?

But at least he was giving back to his community by teaching doomsday survival skills to some local teenagers. When the world is ending, the one skill that will likely save you is the ability to jump into and out of the bed of a moving pickup truck.

I had this vision of one of his pupils in a few years, the world is truly ending. Everything is chaos. Murderous hordes are roaming the streets, all systems are failing. But wait, there is one way out of all of this. A speeding truck is heading his way, if he can just get in the truck you can flee to safety. He remembers what he was taught. Jump into the open bed of the truck...you are saved!

Oh wait, its an SUV...

monty9

monty9

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 1:47 PM

AtlanticVamp

"I'm a girl, I'm not supposed to love guns!" So, you announce on national TV you have $50K in food in your apartment, AND that you have a tazer, AND you blame the government, but the gun was the last thing you thought of?

A bold departure from most of the previous preppers for sure.

Pandora3

I loved the end where the experts advised him to practice with his weapons and he said "our consciousness is on different planes." Whoa there, fella. And given the choice between living in the silo with his hippie drum circle intuitive healer types or the zombie apocalypse outside, I might prefer the latter.

The vast majority of preppers suggest to me that my "plan" should be to not try to survive. If that's who I'm going to spend the rest of my existence with I say no thanks.

Although if they'd be more like Daryl, Glenn and perhaps T-Dog (hard to say, he doesn't get many lines) from The Walking Dead I'll throw my lot back in with humanity. And myself at them.

the macguffin

the macguffin

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 2:54 PM

You really have to wonder about the thought processes of some of these folks- the couple with the little girl (red head mom who has 'disaster prophecy dreams'). The husband is making 'charcoal filter' gas masks (or whatever they're called) by opening about a billion capsules of health food-grade charcoal, which he then kind of smears over the inside of one mask, tops with another mask and tapes the whole mess together. And this skill would get him exactly where, in the event of a real disaster? Unless he has bottles of the charcoal stored, has the time to do all this stuff while chaos erupts outside, and of course, assuming the contraption even works- I suspect you'd suffocate trying to wear that thing in the midst of a volcanic eruption/ash event- wouldn't it be simpler just to buy some good quality real gas masks and hope you could get to them if the time came? I'm picturing this doofus staggering around the ruined streetscape, gasping for breath as the lava runs down the sidewalks, looking for a health food store with charcoal capsules, a hardware store with dust masks and tape, and then looking for a quiet countertop to do his little craft project. Stupid.

HandBanana

HandBanana

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 5:58 PM

I would rather face a polar shift, EMT pulse, massive Yellowstone eruption, global economic collapse, zombie apocalypse, a global pandemic and depletion of all the earth's natural resources armed with nothing more than a toothpick and wearing nothing more than a Speedo rather than spend 30 minutes underground with the hippie couple and their hand-picked tribe.

Why?? They have an intuitive healer there!

Mr. Banana seemed to think that the hippies were also swingers.

kinda sketchy

kinda sketchy

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 7:16 PM

Appropriate that this show is on NatGeo since 50% of their programming is of the worst case scenario/wig the f out variety.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 5:58 AM

Appropriate that this show is on NatGeo since 50% of their programming is of the worst case scenario/wig the f out variety.

Very true. I honestly wonder if some of these folks realize the distance of some of their disasters. Polar shift, ashes from Yellowstone to New York? Probably not. The government takeover/collapse folks are a little closer to things that might happen, but they need to consider how they look to others they may need to recruit.

The most interesting facet of some of the financial collapse/martial law preppers is that they usually only start when the government isn't necessarily going their way. This changes from administration to administration, so would they stop or scale back if the administration went into their party choice's hands? Would they feel safer under another president, or another Congress? (Let me repeat: I'm only speaking about those that worry about financial collapse or martial law. The ones that worry about natural disasters or population spread are exempt from my statement.)

We live in some interesting times, in which some temporary reactions to temporary situations are forever preserved on video.

monty9

monty9

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 8:39 AM

but the first rule of prepping is you don't tell people your doing it. To go on national tv and disclose your location, name, etc. is NOT what preppers do.

Hopefully this is ok to talk about another show but there is this other show on Discovery channel which shows individuals or companies building "doomsday" bunkers that I saw briefly last night. Not only did they reveal who had bunkers but showed a way for you to foil their plans as a member of a murderous raiding party.

One "vendor" of bunkers was called into fix a problem of a bunker being continually flooded. Turns out a competing vendor placed the bunker, which is buried underground, at the bottom of a hill allowing water and mud to flow downhill into the air vents. So if you come upon a bunker and you are indeed a murderous raider, put a deadly gas in the vents or flood the bunker. Let the bodies decompose, get some welding tools or explosives then pick out the canned goods and water at will.

Ohdog

Ohdog

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 8:54 AM

These disturbed individuals don't have gun collections, they have arsenals. With their extreme paranoia and anti-government ravings, they are one degree of separation from domestic terrorists.

kinda sketchy

kinda sketchy

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 9:12 AM

Saw the episode with the hippies living in the missle silo last night. My new boss recently mentioned how "cool" it would be to live in one of those, before then I'd never heard of surplus missle silos being sold much less people living in them. After seeing the hippes I won't be able to help watching/listening to him closely for signs that he's a doomsday hoarder/wigger.

GeoBQn

GeoBQn

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 10:49 AM

Very true. I honestly wonder if some of these folks realize the distance of some of their disasters. Polar shift, ashes from Yellowstone to New York? Probably not. The government takeover/collapse folks are a little closer to things that might happen, but they need to consider how they look to others they may need to recruit.

I do like at the end, how they explain the likelihood of a particular disaster happening (however briefly). So far, a pandemic is the only scenario they featured that was specifically mentioned as more than likely to happen in the near future. With anti-vax hysteria and the sun setting on the Age of Antibiotics, I can believe that.

Pandora3

Pandora3

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 1:10 PM

I do like at the end, how they explain the likelihood of a particular disaster happening (however briefly). So far, a pandemic is the only scenario they featured that was specifically mentioned as more than likely to happen in the near future.

So far we've seen one prepper blow off his thumb, and another involved in a shootout while (according to him) networking with another prepper. And Lord knows some of the home-canned goods we've seen look mortally dangerous. Injuring or killing yourself preparing for a statistically remote apocalypse doesn't seem that far-fetched for some of these people. The guy who blew off his thumb was buying shipping containers for his own homemade underground shelter. I'm not sure I'd want his handyman skills between me and eight feet of dirt over my head.