Lost Girl (US)

• Please log in to reply

1383 replies to this topic

Kosmonaut

Kosmonaut

Stalker

Posted Feb 6, 2012 @ 9:33 AM

Kenzi in the sorority was solid gold, grade A hilarity. She really is adorable.

I like that they had Bo and Dyson fall into bed together practically right away and then backed off a bit. It keeps dramatic tension (we are attracted to each other but aren't in a relationship because of X reason) but avoids the eye-rolling will-they-or-won't-they hook up obviousness of the early seasons of many shows

I find this aspect of the show very refreshing. Although it was a bit obvious what Dyson was going to do the second that waitress showed up.

As a Buffy fan, I did get a strong sense of deja vu from the opening scene where the student was running in fear. It brought to mind the "Reptil Boy" episode (which also took place, albeit at a fraternity instead of a sorority, and had a demon living underground), although, this episode eventually did go in a different direction.

That's exactly where my brain went, too.

Edited by Kosmonaut, Feb 6, 2012 @ 9:35 AM.

LukC

LukC

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 6, 2012 @ 10:09 AM

The 3rd ep had a lot Buffy nods. The sorority (Muffy), Kenzi Sommers-by ;)

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Feb 6, 2012 @ 1:50 PM

Curious about Dyson and what he'll play in this. I remember the actor from The Tudors as William Compton

The name of the lead character in True Blood is William Compton. He's a vampire who is in love with the heroine of the show. I wonder if there is any connection or just one of those weird coincedences.

QueenEllie

QueenEllie

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 6, 2012 @ 3:20 PM

So far I think the show is pretty interesting. Quirky, funny, sexy. I guess they're going to play on the "Who is Bo?" storyline to keep the audience interested over multiple episode arcs.

Acting is totally watchable, something a lot of shows don't have.

I started following the @SoFaemous Twitter feed I saw during the show. It's pretty cool, actually. Kind of like an on-the-scene reporting-type thing. I guess it's meant to be interactive? Anyone else following this?

I'll keep watching just to see what the big secrets are and for something silly/fun to entertain me on a Monday night! (And for Dyson, the Chris Martin lookalike. Hilarious.)

Chrysaor

Chrysaor

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2012 @ 3:36 PM

And for Dyson, the Chris Martin lookalike. Hilarious.

Chris Martin wishes his body looked like that.

Codger

Codger

Stalker

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 6:12 AM

For a Fury who has melted her own mind in the reflection on a toaster, I suppose "Succubus Whore" is not redundant?

Sugar-hyped Kenzi grinding her pelvis on Bo while howling like a wolf was funny, but I tastelessly snickered when she poked her ice pop in Bo's ear to get her out of bed. Heh.

Though I appreciated the nekkid foreplay, I kind of liked it that they didn't show the pounding, but made with the crashing and yelling sound effects and the dust falling from the rafters into poor Kenzi's cereal. As Hitchcock said, if you leave it to the viewers imaginations, everybody will come up with their own image that is better than anything you could ever film.

I suppose Trick convinced Kenzi to return his 300 year old booze.

ETA:

quiche: I thought they couldn't be together, how can they have this friends with benefits stuff?

That's an interesting question. He had to put the brakes on because he's keeping secrets from Bo and Trick believes that if they are in a romance and she finds out later that he's been keeping secrets, she'll feel betrayed and might be furious enough to turn away from the Light Faes and join the Dark Faes. So if they are Friends with Benefits, she won't feel as betrayed later when she finds out he knows stuff about her and has been keeping it from her? I guess? Still seems kind of risky since they don't know her well enough to know how volatile she'd be about that. On the other hand, Trick doesn't know about the FwB thing yet, so maybe he'll put the kabosh on that, too.

Edited by Codger, Feb 7, 2012 @ 11:37 AM.

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 7:38 AM

Curious about Dyson and what he'll play in this. I remember the actor from The Tudors as William Compton.

More recently, he also played another werewolf in the recent Underworld movie, though he didn't fair as well as he does in Lost Girl. (I remember watching the movie and thinking 'damn, I know him from somewhere....', but didn't click till I checked IMDB afterwards.

quiche

quiche

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 11:27 AM

I love Dyson and it broke my heart when he did what he did to Bo. I loved how she called him on it though. "You knew it wasn't clear." So glad she didn't just take it and wonder if she was crazy. They are both sweet and sexy together. I wish bar man wasn't keeping secrets from Bo and that Dyson had just explained (lied) to Bo that since she wasn't light fae they couldn't be together seriously.

I love this show, but am intrigued especially with the chemistry between Bo and Dyson. But I thought they couldn't be together, how can they have this friends with benefits stuff?

Not that I mind...

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 3:04 PM

But I thought they couldn't be together, how can they have this friends with benefits stuff?

You're right that Trick told Dyson to stay away from Bo. That said it's obvious they have feelings for one another so IMO this is Dyson's way of working around Trick's "order" and still be with Bo.

Is that the real voice of the actor who plays Ash or is that just the voice he does for the character?

MDKNIGHT

MDKNIGHT

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 3:53 PM

Sugar-hyped Kenzi grinding her pelvis on Bo while howling like a wolf was funny, but I tastelessly snickered when she poked her ice pop in Bo's ear to get her out of bed. Heh.

It was great. It reminded me of a trip to the zoo where I saw a lion and a dog that had been raised together. The dog, which looked like a small beagle mix, was slapping the lion in the face with his paw and yapping at him because he wanted to play when the lion just wanted to have a siesta. The lion's paw was bigger than the dog's head but the little dog didn't fear the lion and insisted on playing.

I saw the human being the wacko right away. It is called erotomania where stalkers think they have an actual relationship with the object of thier affection.

Glad they already made the "Sexual Healing" joke. I hope sometime Kenzie sings a few bars of the song to annoy Bo.

When did Lauren meet Kenzie?

I think the writers showed they have at least read a little mythology because the Furies did cause madness and since thier thing was vengeance, if the sisters hadn't been blown up with the serial killer they would have kept coming after Bo forever.

I think Kenzie drank the whole bottle of 300 year old whatever. I think that is what she was drinking while the orgy was going on upstairs and it is what the serial killer brained her with when she took her hostage. She's a bit of a stupid kid to steal somewhere she expects to come back to.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 12:14 AM

Kenzi in the sorority was solid gold, grade A hilarity. She really is adorable.

I like Kenzi a lot. She's my favorite part of this show. She's what Willow could have been on Buffy, if they had put the saccharin down and let Willow be a person.

As for the rest of the show, they're just trying too damned hard to be "naughty." The Billy Squire song at the beginning of the episode? Just there to remind the viewer how this is All About SEX.

I also don't get why the show insists on telling me that Dyson is so damned hot. He's average, at best, in my opinion--and that's being generous. The scruffy red beard just does nothing for me. This show tells me all these people are just irresistible, but I'm not seeing why. His interaction with Bo reminds me why the idea of chemistry is so subjective, because I'm not seeing it. At all. I like her. I don't care for him or them together.

Edited by BDArizona, Feb 8, 2012 @ 12:18 AM.

jadesfire

jadesfire

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 12:24 AM

I also don't get why the show insists on telling me that Dyson is so damned hot. He's average, at best, in my opinion--and that's being generous.

Meh, I think he is rather scruffy-hot. Which works for a werewolf. And he has a pretty nice body (thank you equal opportunity semi-nudity!). Obviously everyone's mileage varies on people's attractiveness, which is what makes the world such an interesting place.

Plus the fact that she can't kill him through sex, unlike everyone else she has been attracted to up until now, probably makes him more attractive to Bo specifically.

Bo is quite physically attractive and I'm sure that as a succubus she also gives off some sort of pheromone or something that makes her basically irresistible.

InternalParadox

InternalParadox

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 1:12 AM

Were we supposed to sympathize with Jenny at all? Because she didn't come across as sympathetic to me, even before the stalker/serial killer reveal. I ended up feeling bad for the Fury wife, her sisters and even poor, beheaded Samir. By the end of the episode I had the distinct feeling that Bo just should not have gotten involved in the case at all. If she hadn't, Jenny may have been killed, but the other four people would be alive. Or here's a tip: if you're gonna end up calling Dyson for help anyway, you might want to do it right after a woman hires you to assassinate someone and then says that she'll take care of the job herself.

This episode highlighted how unprepared Bo is for dealing with Fae. She didn't know what the Fury's powers were, or that she had sisters, etc. Yet the show never addressed it. It would have been nice if Dyson had given Bo a book about Fae, or Kenzie started to research what they may face in the future on the web. But it seems like Bo is going to continue to learn on the job, and if a few unnecessary deaths happen, so be it. I wouldn't mind the moral grey-ness if the show did it better. I mean, this episode was morally grey, but it also kept shoving a moral-of-the-story message in our faces. Yes, we know not to go overboard when getting over rejection. Thank you, Bo, for the lesson!

Also, Anne Silk's performance was more wooden than usual, IMHO.

Mad props for the Dyson in therapy scenes. I was impressed with that shrink. She's gotta be tough as nails if Dyson's revelations about her only made her more determined to figure *him* out. Really liked that dynamic, and if he keeps going to therapy it might lead to some interesting revelations...

Also I adored Kenzi swinging the sword around and oversharing. I think I just adore Kenzi, period. She held her own in her first major damsel-in-distress scene: she was obviously scared, but she knew to keep Jenny talking and undid the ropes herself. She even tried to save the everyone by reminding Bo about the detonator.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 1:26 AM

Bo is quite physically attractive and I'm sure that as a succubus she also gives off some sort of pheromone or something that makes her basically irresistible.

Yes. The way Bo can manipulate people is by emitting what I assume to be some sort of pheromone through touch or by kissing them and basically draining them of energy(for lack of a better explanation). The latter can end in death if the person is human but that's only because she's not very good at controlling her powers. She gets better though.

I've never been a big Dyson fan as far as his relationship with Bo goes. Then again I am so far ahead of my fellow US fans having watched every episode up to date so I have my reasons for feeling that way. I have always liked him as a character. Just not with Bo. And not when he's being an angsty sourpuss. Any other time, he's a cool guy. And I have a soft spot for the actor because of his role in Touch of Pink as one half of a gay couple opposite Jimi Mistry.

I don't think I became a big Kenzi fan until towards the end of the first season but upon rewatch I appreciate her earlier scenes more now. I do find it funny that most Canadian fans took a while to warm up to Kenzi but US fans seem to have taken to her immediately. As sidekicks go, she's aces. She always has Bo's back even when she has no idea what she is doing. And I like her a shit-ton more than I ever liked Willow or Gabrielle. I didn't start liking those two until well into their series' when they started having their darker moments.

Edited by Turkish, Feb 8, 2012 @ 1:33 AM.

furrylump

furrylump

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 8:21 AM

Hah, yes. I'm also sort of curious about what will happen with Dyson, because it seems to me that Canadian fans started off pretty big on him, and have... Maybe not gotten sick of him, but I think don't appreciate him as much anymore?

Kenzi is my favourite character also. She can do some incredibly stupid things, and be annoying at times (although sometimes she puts it to good use, as in this episode where she just irritated Bo into getting out of bed - that scene is one of my favourites from the entire show) but she's by far the most fun character on the show, an incredible friend and sidekick, and has these surprising little moments where she serves as Bo's moral compass. And I like that as a sidekick, she's not mindlessly brave, but practical and smart about dangerous situations. Like carrying a bunch of weapons around just in case, or with the the assassins in the second episode, she didn't just charge straight into the fray without thinking. She ran into the hotel room so she could arm Bo, the one who would actually have a chance of defeating the thing, and in the second scrap, realised she could use the vulnerable head as leverage, and looked for a way around the fighting so she could get to it. Plus, Ksenia Solo is fantastic, and I adore the Bo/Kenzi friendship so much. It's my first or second favourite aspect of the show.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 2:14 PM

This episode highlighted how unprepared Bo is for dealing with Fae

Which is why I never understood her refusal to join the Light fae. They are obviously the good guys, Dyson even gave her some of his power before her challenge. Plus they would've given her medical attention, helped her learn how to control her powers, given her a job, learn about the fae and their ways, etc.

I keep forgetting to add that I never understood why all the fae seem to give so much respect to Trick. That is until the scene where he grabs Kenzi and asks for his 300 year old bottle of wine back. There seem to be a bit of menace beneath his calm demeanor and I could tell he's no one to trifle with.

Chrysaor

Chrysaor

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 4:28 PM

Which is why I never understood her refusal to join the Light fae. They are obviously the good guys

They are not. The Furies were all Light Fae. Come to think of it, have we actually seen a Dark Fae who's given Bo actual problems yet? The Morrigan hasn't done anything but be campily sinister. I suppose the Dullahans were probably Dark Fae, but then they're mercenaries who will work for anyone, right? And they were hired by Will O' The Wisp, another Light Fae.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 4:40 PM

From the original Lost Girl thread I understand that neither side is truly good what I meant is the compared to the Dark fae they are the good guys since Light fae aren't supposed to kill humans.

Chrysaor

Chrysaor

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 4:53 PM

The Light Fae might frown upon killing humans, but that doesn't mean they won't, or that they care more about them than the Dark. Again, the first Fury was perfectly willing to hire Bo to kill her husband's alleged lover, and then willing to do it herself once Bo refused. And Will O' The Wisp was fine with putting a hit out on the human who stole his treasure before he knew that it was his own son. And when the Ash found out about Bo's exchange with the Fury, he was more irritated that Bo turned her down than with one of the Light Fae actively trying to kill a human.

The Dark Fae are probably worse, but the Light Fae are no great shakes either. Dyson and Hale might be the only relatively human-positive Light Fae around; possibly Trick too, but I don't recall hearing which side he was on.

Edited by Chrysaor, Feb 8, 2012 @ 4:53 PM.

MDKNIGHT

MDKNIGHT

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 6:27 PM

Anybody have an idea what declaring a side actually means to the Fae in question? I got the feeling that Bo feels if she declared herself Light Fae it would mean certain responsibilities as well as certain rules and she just wants do do her own thing. I suppose this set up is mostly for dramatic purposes but in universe I guess Bo is just used to being a loner and doesn't know what would happen if she joined a group. She does trust Kenzie implicitly and that is sweet.

Was the safe word thing meant to mean they decided against one and just went at it?

So the guy married to the main Fury is also a Fury right because she talked about being together for hundreds of years? There would have to be male furies because they've established mixed unions produce human children and the furies have to come from somewhere. I wonder if the different faes can intermarry and if that affects the powers of their progeny.

Are we to think that had Bo not been against the contract killing that Kenzie was just kidding when she said Killing someone would be extra or does Kenzie not particularly care about human life? I don't get aggressive vibes from her really as her sword fighting seemed to be a joke but OTOH she was cool with the rufie guy being dead really really fast. Not sure where her moral boundaries are.

I find it interesting that she keeps pushing Bo to be adventurus sexually but we haven't seen her try to seduce anybody for herself.

Edited by MDKNIGHT, Feb 8, 2012 @ 6:53 PM.

catray

catray

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2012 @ 12:49 AM

I adored this episode for Kenzi/Bo alone. I loved the beginning with Kenzi jumping on Bo while she was sleeping to try and get the deets about Bo and Dyson. I love their friendship so much. They are both "lost girls", in a way, and I like their developing friendship/family.

Other than that... I agree that this episode really showed that Bo is still in over head when dealing with the Fae. If she hadn't gotten involved, Jenny might have died, but-- would that really have been such a bad thing? Instead, 4 Fae plus Jenny died. Yikes, no wonder the Fae are watching her closely.

One thing I am curious about is the whole human/Fae thing. Bo has "claimed" Kenzi as hers and it seems like most people accept this as Bo "owning" Kenzi, even though clearly Bo doesn't feel this way (ie, that she owns Kenzi). Do we ever learn more about this? Is it a superiority thing? Or an artifact from earlier days when the Fae did keep humans as pets or slaves or something?

ETA: this week's episode definitely brought the sexy. Yum!

Edited by catray, Feb 9, 2012 @ 12:51 AM.

Crim

Crim

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2012 @ 3:36 AM

Anybody have an idea what declaring a side actually means to the Fae in question? I got the feeling that Bo feels if she declared herself Light Fae it would mean certain responsibilities as well as certain rules and she just wants do do her own thing.

Each side is ruled by an autocratic structure. Fae world is understandably old skool, so to say. Once Bo pledged allegiance to the Light Fae she would submit herself to the Ash. If she wanted to take the side of a human in a conflict, she would be limited by this. As nonaligned she has a place in the fae world, as temporary as everyone takes this to be, and she can negotiate with everyone. If she is Light fae and the Ash vetoes her decision to help a human against fae and she disobeys, this is punishable by law. Also only nonaligned fae can enter both Light and Dark territories, which is helpful to Bo in her work.

Edited by Crim, Feb 9, 2012 @ 3:37 AM.

Kosmonaut

Kosmonaut

Stalker

Posted Feb 9, 2012 @ 9:19 AM

Bo doesn't like to be told what to do.

I adored this episode for Kenzi/Bo alone. I loved the beginning with Kenzi jumping on Bo while she was sleeping to try and get the deets about Bo and Dyson. I love their friendship so much. They are both "lost girls", in a way, and I like their developing friendship/family.

My favorite part. Kenzi's entire spiel about wallowing and girly times, followed by car-smashing and shot-drinking, was just too great for words. We all need a BF like that.

One thing I am curious about is the whole human/Fae thing.

As far as Bo claiming Kenzi, in this instance I just saw it as Bo taking responsibility for anything that Kenzi did or anything that happened to her. Like in the vein of, say, a guest attending the fancy country club you belong to, or a friend getting permission to take your bus home. But there's probably more to it in different situations, I'm thinking.

Edited by Kosmonaut, Feb 9, 2012 @ 9:20 AM.

Crim

Crim

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2012 @ 10:34 AM

Re: Kenzi being claimed by Bo. For a human to have a place in the fae world, they are claimed, they belong to someone who is fae i.e. not an inferior species. I don't think this needs explaining because it's obvious enough in the context of the fae world not being our modern world (as it shouldn't be since some of these characters are hundreds of years old.)

Bo's "convenient aging delay starts at the peak of one's life" is not a factor yet and, furthermore, she was not raised as fae and that's part of the conflict. It's a cultural clash. There is a difference maybe not so in much expressed ideology, but definitely in values and what's "normal" for Bo as opposed to the fae-raised fae. There is no right vs wrong here though, or at least I don't see the show going there. The fae world is what it is, what it has been for thousands of years.

Kosmonaut

Kosmonaut

Stalker

Posted Feb 9, 2012 @ 11:37 AM

Bo's "convenient aging delay starts at the peak of one's life" is not a factor yet and, furthermore, she was not raised as fae and that's part of the conflict.

I'm sorry, I'm confused. Could you explain the bolded part? Was this mentioned on the show?

Edited by Kosmonaut, Feb 9, 2012 @ 11:37 AM.

quiche

quiche

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 9, 2012 @ 9:23 PM

I also don't get why the show insists on telling me that Dyson is so damned hot. He's average, at best, in my opinion--and that's being generous.

Meh, I think he is rather scruffy-hot. Which works for a werewolf. And he has a pretty nice body (thank you equal opportunity semi-nudity!). Obviously everyone's mileage varies on people's attractiveness, which is what makes the world such an interesting place.

I just had to add this. When I first saw him I thought scruffy, but it is his accent, the way he carries himself and the man knows how to kiss a girl. Wowza.

There are some guys who aren't classically handsome, but it is their attitude/maleness that makes them yummy. Dyson is one of those guys...

Crim

Crim

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 3:43 AM

Kosmonaut, I meant that fae, like tons of other supes in tons of other fiction, live a long, long time, but this time deceleration doesn't affect their entire life in the same way. It kicks in conveniently in their 20s (in some other shows/books during their late teenage years). It doesn't cause them to be children for 100 years and it doesn't make them be old as dirt decrepit husks for 100 years either; they spend most of their extended life as adults.

That this is the case in Lost Girl too is obvious by the fact that Bo's development was normal until her current age and that most fae are "frozen in time" to look like young adults or middle-aged at most.

Edited by Crim, Feb 10, 2012 @ 3:46 AM.

MDKNIGHT

MDKNIGHT

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 4:42 PM

It's true that in most of these fantasy scenarios conveniantey nobody spends 100 years in grammer school. Can you imagine how hard it wold be to raise a slowly maturing kid among humans? You'd have to move and change ID every couple of years instead of the decades you can get away with if you are an adult. The kid in Interview with a Vampire had the benefit of living/unliving during a period before social security numbers and mandatory school and even she had some problems including having to turn somebody to be a mommy to her. I also assume she wasn't really interested in sexual relationships but I never read the books so maybe her mind did mature even if her body didn't and that would be a whole other can of worms. If Succubi didn't age normally at least for the beginning of their lives then her family couldn't have hidden Bo among humans.

OTOH so far we have no proof that Succubi are immortal or long lived at all. The Fury said she and her husband are either immortal or long lived but there is nothing to indicate that all species of Fae are. I would think if most or all the Fae are immortal or long lived they would have been discovered by now, unless they have very strict rules about reproducing. That is one possible (of many) reason why Bo's family gave her up. They may not have had permission to reproduce.

Can you imagine how messed up Bo would be (if she were real) if the first time she went "all the way" or even just heavy petting her date keeled over? The first time it happened she would have had to be so wigged out. OTOH how the heck did a hysterical teen avoid the scrutiny of the police? I doubt the first time she had the presence of mind to get rid of the body so there would be some cops going "what the heck did you do?" and would it just look like a heart attack? I would also think initially she would have been in denial that she had actually caused it. I would think second time she'd have to have realized it wasn't just a heart attack or freak occurence and ran away. How did she support herself initially when she was a teen with no job skills and no ID? Did Bo say if she was adopted or in foster care?

Crim

Crim

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2012 @ 3:24 AM

Can you imagine how messed up Bo would be (if she were real) if the first time she went "all the way" or even just heavy petting her date keeled over? The first time it happened she would have had to be so wigged out. OTOH how the heck did a hysterical teen avoid the scrutiny of the police?

The police would never suspect her because nothing they can investigate indicates she literally sucked the life out of the poor dead people. It's the same thing that protects the fae in some of the cases she is now asked to take care of. Ah, karma. :D

Did Bo say if she was adopted or in foster care?

I think she was adopted and had a pretty normal family life, which made it even harder to leave it all behind just because she is a life-sucking Succubus. And yes, I agree that Bo should be more messed up, but Lost Girl is a pretty shallow show.

Edited by Crim, Feb 11, 2012 @ 3:24 AM.

MDKNIGHT

MDKNIGHT

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2012 @ 3:47 AM

Well we now have a flashback and the oracle said stuff along the lines that when it first happened Bo thought part of the problem was that she was a sinner since she'd been raised rather strictly. And she did run away the first time it happened. I would think she must have had a hard time surviving at first. She was 18 and had no resources.

So mom was in some sort of Fairy Tale dungeon for a long time. Maybe she was roomies with Rumplestilskin form Once Upon a Time. Seems mom is not going to be in a good mood but it begs the question how powerful is dad that he seems to be the one who locked her up. Something about being betrayed by her true love. Should be interesting.