Lost Girl (US)

• Please log in to reply

1383 replies to this topic

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 2:04 PM

I doubt they'll make this mistake again

I disagree, IMO those of us on the 'net tend to inflate our importance and forget that the vast majority of people in the US and around the world do not have internet access. If it makes sense for them to edit the show to appeal to tv broadcasters in various different countries they will continue to do so because frankly we don't matter anywhere near as much as we think we do.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, May 6, 2012 @ 2:53 PM.

kzoogal

kzoogal

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 7:54 PM

So is it a deliberate wink to the audience that the Ash bears a mild resemblance to Bruce Campbell?

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 10:16 PM

I disagree, IMO those of us on the 'net tend to inflate our importance and forget that the vast majority of people in the US and around the world do not have internet access. If it makes sense for them to edit the show to appeal to tv broadcasters in various different countries they will continue to do so because frankly we don't matter anywhere near as much as we think we do.

So far it's been said that the show hasn't been edited outside of Syfy's US airings. Other channels are keeping the show intact. Showcase claims they edited the Syfy version to "conform to US running time" so I'm going to take their word for it. If Showcase didn't care what fans had to say at all they wouldn't have responded to the many inquires from fans on their official Twitter and Facebook pages or released a statement to Afterellen to reassure us nothing shady is going on. I don't think they would have done that if we didn't matter to them. They've showed by their actions many times before that they actually do want to hear what we have to say about the show.

Edited by Turkish, May 6, 2012 @ 10:24 PM.

natyxg

natyxg

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:04 PM

The Bo/Dyson saga is getting to be so dreadfully boring. Yawn.

I was happy because of all the Kenzi, but all the Bo whining over Dyson, again, was such a drag. And when did he become such a dick? He was never one to light up a room with his shiny personality, but he was never so crappy either.

pepperclove

pepperclove

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 12:50 AM

I agree that it seemed they played fast and loose with Dyson's characterization this episode. He was never so crappy, and have we ever seen indication that he was a major playboy before? It seemed to come out of nowhere. Bo's continuing whining was also annoying - she knows what happened and why, and you'd think she could handle it with a little more maturity (although it's Bo, so maybe they are at least being consistent there). And I even liked Bo/Dyson in season one.

AngelKitty

AngelKitty

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 8:48 AM

I agree that it seemed they played fast and loose with Dyson's characterization this episode. He was never so crappy, and have we ever seen indication that he was a major playboy before? It seemed to come out of nowhere.

I can excuse his behavior because I think his emotions really are in turmoil right now and then the curse just made things worse. As for him being a playboy before? No, I don't think he was, however, that's his way to discourage Bo. I do like him better when he's happy. His face justs lights up when he smiles.

Kenzi, Kenzi, after all you have seen how can you think any myth is just a myth?

Fancha

Fancha

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 10:26 AM

Ugh. I guess there is such a thing as too much Kenzi. I just can't stand this juvenile Bo/Dyson arc and the whole Baba Yaga storyline felt like the cheesiest episode of Charmed.

They bring the entire show down. I can't wait until this is over. How long until Bo falls for Lauren (or anyone else) again?

pepperclove

pepperclove

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 10:33 AM

An episode of Charmed is exactly what this episode felt like, Francha. And that's exactly why I didn't like it - way too cheesy for my taste and absolutely no subtlety in either the characters or the plot. I really hope for better from this show.

Edited by pepperclove, May 8, 2012 @ 10:34 AM.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 1:13 PM

Was I the only one thrown by the mispronunciation of Baba Yaga? I get that there are some words Canadians pronounce differently than residents in the US, but when the words in question are a Russian proper name you should really look to the source for guidance on how to say it.

natyxg

natyxg

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 1:33 PM

I just can't stand this juvenile Bo/Dyson arc

Me neither. I feel like I've spent more time watching Bo whining about Dyson, than actually BEING with Dyson. Cause I think they were only a couple for like, an episode, and the rest of the time it was sex buddies and more Bo whining about Dyson being distant or whatever whatever.

Please, show, stop.

Georgia

Georgia

Video Archivist

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 1:41 PM

Bruinsfan, they all pronounced it differently, so I couldn't even guess which one was the proper Russian pronounciation. I loved when Bo called her Baby Yoda, though.

I didn't mind this episode. I thought it was funny how downright offended Dyson was that women hated him. He was just so upset that 5 hookers spit on him and Hale just could not stop laughing at him ("Uh oh, here comes number six.").

There were some small hints in season 1 that Dyson was a player. Lauren refered to him as "well-travelled," and he joked about not caring that he lost some nymph's number (hey, maybe it was Chloe!). I appreciated his point to Hale - Bo is one to keep pushing if there's even the tiniest hint that there's a chance for them. It really is kinder in the long run to make it clear that there is no chance they can be together.

Good guest star episode - Baba Yaga's prisoners looked thoroughly beaten-down and Chloe was awesome. I hope we get to see her again. I also liked the waitress (Shana? Shawna?). Come to think of it, Trick really should enforce a hands-off policy for the staff and his regulars. Even without a curse, that can never end well.

Kenzi is always so awesome. Yes, she was dumb not to ask if Baba Yaga was real and messing around with curses is stupid for someone who is enmeshed with the fae. But she owned what she did and tried her best to make it right. Even her little moments make me laugh - "Ta da" and "Delicious slop?" just cracked me up.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 5:21 PM

I agree with Kenzi that a fae seasame street would be awesome. Also I now want to see a baby Yoda.

DukeEmerald

DukeEmerald

Just Tuned In

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 5:38 PM

If Baba Yaga is dead, then Kenzi is, like, the most impressive human to date, and the fae ought to start taking her very seriously indeed - and backing away if necessary.

But if, as was implied by the hand coming out of the mirror in the end, and is far more likely in any case - Baba Yaga is alive, and being thrown into the oven was just a temporary setback for her, then why was the curse broken? And why did Kenzi get sent back to The Material Plane? (Well, she is A Material Girl....) In this case, Baba Yaga's still around; curse and imprisonment ought to be intact.

I also found it unlikely - absurd, really - that Kenzi would hand the three pieces of the mirror to the three trapped girls, leaving (as far as she knew) no way for her or Bo to get back home. There's compassionate, and then there's suicidal. Kenzi, girl! Throw the pieces on the ground and make them into a few more pieces! There was no indication that the size or number of the pieces was relevant.

As others have pointed out, Kenzi and Bo are being a little unreasonable in their attitude towards Dyson. Yes, he could have been a little more discreet about flirting with other women in front of Bo, at least at this early point. But the basic problem - that he no longer loves Bo, and is in fact not capable of loving Bo - is not his fault. In fact, it's Bo's fault. She insisted, against fae-ish advice, on going after her mother alone. This lead to Dyson making a deal in which he offered to give up what was most important to him in life in order to - maybe! - save her. It also lead to Trick taking a big risk as well. If Bo had sensibly let Dyson come along and let him wait in the wings, everybody would probably be much better off. (Well, maybe not Ma Succubus, but everybody else.)

I'm surprised Bo and Kenzi (and Trick and Hale) are not making their highest priority finding a way to undo the Norn's curse/theft/effect. After all, they've taken on a bunch of other "impossible" fae problems, and won. They even just defeated Baba Yaga and undid her curse! But they won't try to find a way to deal with the Norn?

natyxg

natyxg

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 5:46 PM

then why was the curse broken?

I thought Baba Yaga lifted the curse when she pulled Kenzi into her world. No?

I also found it unlikely - absurd, really - that Kenzi would hand the three pieces of the mirror to the three trapped girls, leaving (as far as she knew) no way for her or Bo to get back home.

That was so out of character I went 'huh?'. Helping the girls, cool, helping them at the expense of her and Bo? No way. Specially because there was no need. I don't even know what that was.

So... did anyone else get the feeling that Kenzi's stepdad sexually (or physically) abused her and that's why she ran away?

ChelseaMcQ

ChelseaMcQ

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 6:10 PM

So... did anyone else get the feeling that Kenzi's stepdad sexually (or physically) abused her and that's why she ran away?

That was I walked away with.

InternalParadox

InternalParadox

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 7:26 PM

As much as I loved getting info on Kenzi's history, family and Russian heritage (I think this is the first time she spoke Russian in the show since the first episode), this episode left me a bit underwhelmed. You've already discussed how Bo needs to give up on Dyson and how cheesy the Baba Yaga bits were, so I'll focus on the stuff I did like:

--Kenzi's aunt: so that's where Kenzi got her business acumen and her ability to dress like and impersonate an Eastern European spiritualist

--I would love to see a fae Sesame Street!

--Dyson being attacked by women was pretty funny.

--It seems Kenzi was physically abused by her stepdad. I took her line: "He didn't hurt me, hurt me" as Kenzi reassuring Bo that there was no sexual abuse, but locking a kid in a closet for hours just for laughing? That definitely points to physical abuse and possibly neglect. I wonder where her mother was during all that? Although it's not unheard of for an abusive person's spouse to look the other way.

Nilo

Nilo

Video Archivist

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 8:16 PM

Huh, whereas I took, "he didn't hurt me, hurt me" to point directly to sexual abuse and away from physical abuse.

natyxg

natyxg

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 9:55 PM

Huh, whereas I took, "he didn't hurt me, hurt me" to point directly to sexual abuse and away from physical abuse.

Me too. Also, that whole bit with the witch talking about little kenzi all scared almost summoning her was chilling, along with Kenzi's pleas to her to shut up about that. It gave me a sexual abuse vibe, although it was probably both.

Codger

Codger

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:17 AM

I liked Hale standing up for Kenzi when Dyson said that she always did whatever she thought Bo wanted her to do.

And for all of Dyson's bitching about Kenzi putting a curse on him, it was nice that he was willing to help Bo save her, even when Trick refused.

Loved the bit where Dyson goes, "Oh, I thought this curse was over. Look, Nymph... you only think you hate me..." and Chloe goes, "No, I'm pretty sure I really hate you." Heh.

BestestAuntEver

BestestAuntEver

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 12:59 PM

I didn't mind this episode. I thought it was funny how downright offended Dyson was that women hated him. He was just so upset that 5 hookers spit on him and Hale just could not stop laughing at him ("Uh oh, here comes number six.").

Hale's delight with Dyson's situation was fun.

I'm surprised Bo and Kenzi (and Trick and Hale) are not making their highest priority finding a way to undo the Norn's curse/theft/effect. After all, they've taken on a bunch of other "impossible" fae problems, and won. They even just defeated Baba Yaga and undid her curse! But they won't try to find a way to deal with the Norn?

I hope someone mentions/explains or puts the above into action because this type of logical thinking is what makes my head explode when watching shows that chose to ignore the obvious.

I liked Hale standing up for Kenzi when Dyson said that she always did whatever she thought Bo wanted her to do

I loved that momment of sidekick solidarity as well.

Add me to the list of people that want to see a fae sesame street.

I thought Trick couldn't help Bo because Baba Yaga lived/operated on a different plane. Not because he didn't want to. I can take a little bit of cheese but I hope this doesn't lead to full on cheese 24/7.

Me too. Also, that whole bit with the witch talking about little kenzi all scared almost summoning her was chilling, along with Kenzi's pleas to her to shut up about that. It gave me a sexual abuse vibe, although it was probably both.

I think Kenzi was sexually & emotionally abused by her step-father. I wouldn't completely exclude physcial abuse either. "He didn't hurt me, hurt me" leaves it open for interpretation.

Edited by BestestAuntEver, May 9, 2012 @ 12:59 PM.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 3:51 PM

In fact, it's Bo's fault

I gotta disagree. Sure, she put herself into a dangerous situation but she never asked Dyson to go to the Norn nor did she ask him to make any kind of sacrifice for her. Ultimately it was his decision to do those things.

InternalParadox

InternalParadox

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 11:29 PM

I thought it was strange that both Trick and Dyson decided to make a sacrifice on Bo's behalf in the season 1 finale. If they had communicated with one another about their intentions, one of them could've sat it out, right? Did Bo really need Trick's Blood Magic and Dyson's Norn sacrifice?

We haven't seen the fallout of Trick's sacrifice yet, as far as I can recall, but I think the show is saving that for later.

On Kenzi: yeah, that line is really up for interpretation. If anyone who writes for the show is reading this, please know that I would love more Kenzi stories about her background and family, perhaps as B-plots. I don't really want to see Baba Yaga again, but Kenzi character development is always good!

Based on the previews: next week
Spoiler

furrylump

furrylump

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 4:53 AM

I liked Hale standing up for Kenzi when Dyson said that she always did whatever she thought Bo wanted her to do.

It's been a while since I saw this episode, but me too. On a similar note, love that even though Bo was mad at Kenzi, she threatened Dyson when he started yelling at her. I guess Bo's the only one who's allowed to get angry at her best friend.

I was pretty annoyed by all the Bo/Dyson wangst, (
Spoiler
) but not as much as I enjoyed how much of this episode was about Bo and Kenzi's epic friendship.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 3:07 PM

If they had communicated with one another about their intentions, one of them could've sat it out, right?

They kind of did, but Trick later changed his mind and decided to use his blood for a blood sacrifice, afterall. However Dyson was going off their conversation and decided to go to the Norn because, as far as he knew, Trick wasn't going to help.

J98

J98

Channel Surfer

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 2:50 AM

They bring the entire show down. I can't wait until this is over. How long until Bo falls for Lauren (or anyone else) again?

UGH!! 1000% THIS!! Can't stand it!!

In fact, it's Bo's fault

I gotta disagree. Sure, she put herself into a dangerous situation but she never asked Dyson to go to the Norn nor did she ask him to make any kind of sacrifice for her. Ultimately it was his decision to do those things.

Agreed. She never asked him to go to the Norn. But, true, it was a nice gesture for him to make that sacrifice
Spoiler
LOL!!

I thought it was strange that both Trick and Dyson decided to make a sacrifice on Bo's behalf in the season 1 finale. If they had communicated with one another about their intentions, one of them could've sat it out, right? Did Bo really need Trick's Blood Magic and Dyson's Norn sacrifice?

It's been a while since I saw the season 1 finale but I think you're right. LOL!! One of them -- or both, really could have sat it out. Bo asked Lauren for help with the Koushang amulet thing-a-ma-bob. All three helped in some way, I suppose, but as long as mommy dearest wasn't able to drain her (because she had the amulet), she would have come out ok.

nivea

nivea

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 3:55 AM

People who are sick of the Bo/Dyson dullness
Spoiler

Edited by nivea, May 11, 2012 @ 4:07 AM.

caseylane

caseylane

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 7:03 AM

Well, I'm not bored with Bo/Dyson. They are one of the few het couples on TV that I care about. Maybe it's because I find Lauren so boring.

I'm actually in the show for the weird fae and Kenzi + Everyone friendship.

Fancha

Fancha

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 7:24 AM

nivea Thank God! I can't wait for this nightmare to be over. If I didn't know it will get better (thank you, Canada) I would have given up on the show by now. I can't stand their Twilight-esque "romance" and everything about it. It brings the entire show down and undermines its premise.

I doubt anyone watches this show for the plot, I mean it has none. I'm definitely in it for the relationships (even Bo and Dyson's, when they don't act like they are 12).

natyxg

natyxg

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 10:10 PM

So, I got distracted and missed when Lauren showed up. Why did she run away from the Ash? I mean, he's supposed to be a meanie and all, but was there something specific that triggered her running away?

I thought the thing about the old lady and her TV was utterly ridiculous.

At least it seems we're done with Dyson/Bo (of for now anyway, you never know with shows).

PhantomChic

PhantomChic

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 11:32 PM

So, I got distracted and missed when Lauren showed up. Why did she run away from the Ash? I mean, he's supposed to be a meanie and all, but was there something specific that triggered her running away?

She said he ordered that all his human pets be locked up whenever they weren't working. So she ran away while she was working before they could put her in a cage.