Lost Girl (US)

• Please log in to reply

1381 replies to this topic

Quorwyf

Quorwyf

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 1, 2012 @ 11:46 PM

Lost Girl is a daring new series about mysterious young Bo (Anna Silk), a succubus who drains the sexual energy of humans to feed, heal... and kill. Having survived for years alone, she now discovers she is one of the fae, creatures of legend and folklore who secretly feed off humans in myriad ways. Relieved to find out that she is not alone, but horrified by what it means, Bo chooses a dangerous middle path between the humans and the fae while embarking on a personal mission to unlock the secrets of her origin.

This is for the US viewers, which seems very needed as we're 25+ eps behind the curve on this show.

Chrysaor

Chrysaor

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2012 @ 11:51 PM

From the old thread, but about this week's episode:

Was the security guy on Forever Knight?

Yes, that was John Kapelos, who played Schanke on FK.

I really got a kick out of Kenzi's sorority pledge disguise. Hannah Montana hangs out with a succubus and goes to college.

Quorwyf

Quorwyf

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 1, 2012 @ 11:54 PM

Hannah had better wigs.

I'm finding it kinda amazing that Kenzi has worn 3 wigs and they were all horrible.

ChelseaMcQ

ChelseaMcQ

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2012 @ 11:15 AM

I LOVE the horrible wigs! They make the actress look even younger. She's a little goth pixie.

I'm very intrigued by the barkeep/owner. I get the impression that he may know who Bo is and is biding his time while using Dyson for confirmation.

It's too soon for Bo/Dyson so I'm glad she caught him in the supply room.

So far I love this show and it's nice to know that we've got a few season confirmed.

(Thank you mods for a US forum!)

avid_reader

avid_reader

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2012 @ 1:59 PM

I love Dyson and it broke my heart when he did what he did to Bo. I loved how she called him on it though. "You knew it wasn't clear." So glad she didn't just take it and wonder if she was crazy. They are both sweet and sexy together. I wish bar man wasn't keeping secrets from Bo and that Dyson had just explained (lied) to Bo that since she wasn't light fae they couldn't be together seriously.

Is the Dyson vacuum company running ads during the show because of the name tie-in?

Kenzie was awful as a pledge and it was hard to believe no one called her on her crazypants behavior. She does love Bo though and they are adorable together.

I also loved how flustered the Dean was when they were interrupted. "Leave! Not you!"

Edited by avid_reader, Feb 2, 2012 @ 2:00 PM.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Feb 2, 2012 @ 3:16 PM

My guess, and that's all it is, is that Bo is the result of a very powerful fae from the dark hooking up with a very powerful fae from the light side. I don't mean powerful in just actual power but in their standing/prestige as well. It explains why Bo had to be hidden and why the barkeep, sorry I forgot his name, seems to fear her and want to keep his distance.

I'll be disappointed if Dyson turns out to be a run-of-the-mill werewolf. I hope there's more to him than that.

Quorwyf

Quorwyf

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 2, 2012 @ 3:28 PM

I love Dyson and it broke my heart when he did what he did to Bo. I loved how she called him on it though. "You knew it wasn't clear." So glad she didn't just take it and wonder if she was crazy. They are both sweet and sexy together. I wish bar man wasn't keeping secrets from Bo and that Dyson had just explained (lied) to Bo that since she wasn't light fae they couldn't be together seriously.

Yeah. It comes off as extra shitty due to his knowledge of Bo's past relationship "issues"...but when I look at it from a writers' perspective it makes a bit more sense. It pretty much allowed them to get their inevitable relationship out of the way and bought them time to have buildup w/o worrying about shipping pressure. Still shitty though.

I thought Kenzi fit in as a pledge due to her crazypantsness. And her mention of touching a boob when she got drunk at the party just gets funnier when you think about Bo and the Dean.

Tricksterson

Tricksterson

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2012 @ 4:56 PM

@Chrysaor: Kenzie would totally kick Hannah's ass.

@ChelseaMcQ: The barkeep's name is Trick IIRC and he toatally knows who, or at least what Bo is.

And I'm totally hearting Kenzie. It fits with my history of always preferring the sidekick. Gabrielle over Xena, Willow over Buffy, etc.

kellygibbs

kellygibbs

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 2, 2012 @ 11:20 PM

First, where can I get a Dyson of my own?

Second, I thought Trick was the name of Dyson's partner?

Third, is the actress playing Kenzi wearing contacts or is that her natural (startling) eye color?

I think I've found a new show to add to my favorites!

Chrysaor

Chrysaor

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2012 @ 11:42 PM

Second, I thought Trick was the name of Dyson's partner?

Trick is the tiny bartender. Dyson's partner is called Hale.

bbell

bbell

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 2, 2012 @ 11:44 PM

This show does not have skinny women. They are physically fit and hot. I wish the dvd's were out for this show. How can they suppress a show that is already in its 3 season.

Pache

Pache

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 12:08 AM

According to TVShowsOnDVD.com, eOne will release Lost Girl Season 1 on DVD in Canada on March 27. Since Canada is a Region 1 country like the US, interested buyers can get it through amazon.ca.

I think they were hoping to sell this to ScyFy, so they waited to release it on DVD. Now they are going ahead. No word on season 2, but maybe after it has been shown on SyFy they will put that out as well.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 1:37 AM

This show does not have skinny women. They are physically fit and hot.

I think Bo is very thin. I think she's very pretty. I just don't think she's the physically perfect specimen the show tells me she is.

Crim

Crim

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 4:04 AM

I find Kenzi (i.e. Ksenia Solo) very thin, very waif-like, though how obvious it is depends on the clothes she is wearing.

kellygibbs, that's Ksenia Solo's real eye color - or at least it's what I saw in random photos and in the Black Swan. I guess she could be using the same contacts, but I'll go with real until further notice. And yeah, amazing, isn't it? :)

BDArizona, the doctor said Bo is the perfect specimen of a succubus, despite her worries that something is wrong with her. Bo didn't know much about what she was, so the doctor reassured her that she was a totally fine specimen of her kind. It's like saying Timmy is the perfect pomeranian; it only refers to him having the characteristics of the breed.

Edited by Crim, Feb 3, 2012 @ 4:08 AM.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 2:29 PM

And I'm totally hearting Kenzie

Me too, I wish she'd stop with the wigs because I love brunettes, especially ones with blue or grey eyes.

AngelKitty

AngelKitty

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 3:43 PM

Yes, that was John Kapelos, who played Schanke on FK.

Thanks, Chrysaor.

I LOVE the horrible wigs! They make the actress look even younger. She's a little goth pixie.

I agree, ChelseaMcQ. Do we know how old she is? I think I saw somewhere her referred to as a teenager but wasn't she in a bar in the first episode?

I have to say I was very surprised when the Dean ended up dead and not the Evil Sorority Mother. Those girls at the Sorority house were creepy though.

Bo is the result of a very powerful fae from the dark hooking up with a very powerful fae from the light side. I don't mean powerful in just actual power but in their standing/prestige as well. It explains why Bo had to be hidden and why the barkeep, sorry I forgot his name, seems to fear her and want to keep his distance.

bulldawgtownieI suspect you're right about this but I'm not sure they fear her exactly. I think they might fear the change that she may bring when she fulfills her destiny, whatever that may be.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 3:46 PM

Do we know how old she is?

Ksenia Solo is 25, I have no idea how old Kenzie is supposed to be.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Feb 3, 2012 @ 3:52 PM.

LoneHaranguer

LoneHaranguer

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 6:02 PM

I saw somewhere her referred to as a teenager but wasn't she in a bar in the first episode?

I don't think Kenzie would have had any trouble getting a fake ID if she needed one.

Quorwyf

Quorwyf

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 4, 2012 @ 1:30 AM

Based on Kenzi so far...i'd guess she has a few 100 IDs stashed somewhere.

MDKNIGHT

MDKNIGHT

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2012 @ 2:28 AM

I'm hoping the show eventually tells us why Kenzie would be so friendless and lonely that hanging out with somebody who can lose control and suck your life force out till you die sounds like a good idea. I get she's a thief but why the heck is she so socially isolated? She did have SOME family since she called a family member to get the license plate or whatever traced in the pilot to be able to find Bo. I like her so far. Ironically IIRC so far the sidekick has NOT wound up tied or chained up and the heroine has. That's kind of new for an adventure show.

catray

catray

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2012 @ 3:31 PM

Thanks for making a US feed for Lost Girl... I was mostly avoiding the other thread because it's based on the Canadian airings and way ahead of us.

We've had the three episodes so far, but I am really enjoying the show. The main characters have grown on me, though pretty much everyone else remains a bit one dimensional right now. I wasn't sure if I would like Kenzi, but I do. The wigs crack me up-- and I love how it came up at the sorority house in the latest episode.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Feb 4, 2012 @ 4:45 PM

I don't think Kenzie would have had any trouble getting a fake ID if she needed one

A number of bars don't card an attractive woman who looks to be at least 18. Plus a lot of bars will let in someone who's at least 18 but put an "X" on their hand to let the bartender know they can't buy alcohol. Either way I don't think we can assume her age based on her being in a bar.

I get she's a thief but why the heck is she so socially isolated?

I don't think of her as socially isolated as much as she's constantly on the run and doesn't trust people. In Bo she's finally found a kindred spirit and someone she can trust.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Feb 4, 2012 @ 4:49 PM.

bbell

bbell

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 4, 2012 @ 5:10 PM

A number of bars don't card an attractive woman who looks to be at least 18. Plus a lot of bars will let in someone who's at least 18 but put an "X" on their hand to let the bartender know they can't buy alcohol. Either way I don't think we can assume her age based on her being in a bar.

Canada show. 19 and 18 some places you can drink. Only teenage Americans can't handle their liquor.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Feb 4, 2012 @ 5:27 PM

D'oh, it makes sense that they're in Canada, since Canadians got this show a couple of years ago. I'm so disappointed in myself that I didn't make that connection. Anyway which city are they supposed to be in or is it some fictional place?

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Feb 4, 2012 @ 5:34 PM.

caseylane

caseylane

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2012 @ 11:49 PM

Thanks goodness there's a US thread now. I don't hate spoilers but I did get confused with discussions about different shows going on at the same time.

I like the show a lot. It isn't my favorite but I do enjoy it when I watch. There aren't too many shows with female leads that I like yet the one where there is a sexually active succubus and a thief seems to have made me a fan. Maybe because they aren't constantly whining about men (or women) but just go out and hook up.

Also enjoy the friendship aspect. They have nice chemistry and I can buy them as friends.

Edited by caseylane, Feb 4, 2012 @ 11:50 PM.

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Feb 5, 2012 @ 12:28 AM

Also glad that the US has it's own thread now. I didn't want to get to spoiled, so I only glanced at the other one.

I haven't been able to watch it live, but I've been catching it On Demand, and I'm surprised over how much I'm liking it. It's not breaking any ground, but I find the leads likable and the story find. Another surprise was some of the people/reviewers I did read or hear about it were kind of negative about Bo/Anna Silk, but I actually really like her. She won't be winning awards, but I think she makes what could be just a stereotypical and typical "sexy" character, fun to root for her and interesting to watch; and in general, I think she has charisma that makes up for some of her weaker traits. Although, I won't lie; it does help that I find her hot as hell. Not just physically, but she just cares herself in a way that's really sexy, IMO. Kenzi is the same way; I could see myself easily despising a character like her, but the actress somehow pulls it off that I kind of adore her. And Bo/Kenzi in general are great together and it's refreshing to see two female leads on a show like this.

Curious about Dyson and what he'll play in this. I remember the actor from The Tudors as William Compton.

Curious to see if we'll see the return of what I'm assuming where the leaders of the two Fae groups (Emmanuelle Vaugier and the guy with the raspy voice.) Although, I hope Emmaunelle tones it down a bit because while I usually love her, she went beyond scenery chewing; she was devouring everything in sight!

Random note: in the second episode, the guy playing the Will o' the Wisp's son voiced the lead character in one of my favorite video games last year, Deux Ex: Human Revolution, so it was kind of funny since he pretty much sounded the same way here.

rayray

rayray

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 5, 2012 @ 1:39 AM

Now where did Bo get that uniform that enhanced "SECURITY"? Its like she watched a lot of cop shows and thought that what cops wear. LOL
Detail I liked from the episode: When Bo and the head security guard were walking across campus, several students stopped to stare at her from the background. I think I also heard a wolf call too.

tofutan

tofutan

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 5, 2012 @ 3:28 AM

To me Bo/Kenzi is easily the best thing about the show (though I find the show generally pretty adorable). Maybe I've been watching the wrong shows, but it seems to me that it has been quite some time to see a show with a fairly traditional hero/sidekick relationship. It took me right back to the days of Xena and Hercules. And they manage to make it very charming.

Loandbehold

Loandbehold

Stalker

Posted Feb 5, 2012 @ 1:50 PM

Detail I liked from the episode: When Bo and the head security guard were walking across campus, several students stopped to stare at her from the background. I think I also heard a wolf call too.

I would expect to see that (or something similar) in practically every episode since Bo is a succubus. The girl can't help it.

Nikita is another show with a very good relationship between two female leads. Can we expect more shows to follow suit? Is TV entering the 21st Century?

So far, I find the show enjoyable. I'm looking forward to seeing Bo learn about her history/destiny, as well as her relationships with Kenzi and Dyson. As a Buffy fan, I did get a strong sense of deja vu from the opening scene where the student was running in fear. It brought to mind the "Reptil Boy" episode (which also took place, albeit at a fraternity instead of a sorority, and had a demon living underground), although, this episode eventually did go in a different direction.

jadesfire

jadesfire

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 6, 2012 @ 4:15 AM

Curious about Dyson and what he'll play in this. I remember the actor from The Tudors as William Compton.

Aha! That is where I have seen that actor before. Thanks, it was killing me.

I like this show so far. It isn't groundbreaking, but I am digging the character dynamics, especially Bo/Kenzi/Dyson. And it is interesting to see a succubus portrayed in a positive way. Not to mention the awesomeness of having a canonically bisexual female lead. (It is pretty early but I am already hoping for a Dyson/Bo/Dr. Lauren threeway).

I like that they had Bo and Dyson fall into bed together practically right away and then backed off a bit. It keeps dramatic tension (we are attracted to each other but aren't in a relationship because of X reason) but avoids the eye-rolling will-they-or-won't-they hook up obviousness of the early seasons of many shows.

It makes sense that a succubus would sex first and angst later, rather than the other way around, as many shows do.