20-5: 2012.01.30

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

237 replies to this topic

fionab

fionab

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2012 @ 10:03 AM

Victoria's Secret won't be interested in Courtney - their models all have a nice girl next door image with bodies to die for: Heidi Klum, Miranda Kerr, Tyra. They spend a lot of time building them up to be sweet and chirpy with the backstage portions of their shows. They wouldn't want someone who is bitchy and all "I'm prettier than you so my life is hard because women hate me". They want someone whose persona says "OMG me? no way, that's amazing!" That is NOT the persona Courtney has built for herself.

Miss Kubelik

Miss Kubelik

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2012 @ 2:17 PM

The soaps won't be interested in Courtney either. There are, what, 3 and a half soaps left, and a glut of underemployed, better looking, more talented soap actors chomping at the bit. Unless her image is majorly overhauled, she won't be an upcoming B'ette. The best Courtney can hope for is an extended stay at Fleiss's annual "summer cotillion known as the Bachelor Pad" (tm someone on twitter), to which I say, yes please, bring it. They've already made it known that drunk crying blogger has an open invitation.

I can't help wonder if the "story" includes this element. Because I do think that there is little reality in "reality TV", i wonder if this has been cooked up by the producers - Courtney as villain, all the women hate her, they know that she is "there for the wrong reasons." Ben is smitten by her charms, he doesn't discover "who she really is" until it's too late.

I'm thinking this is as well. The last three relationships have been "love" stories: Ali and Roberto, who dated a respectable amount of time in the same city; Brad and Emily was a flash in a pan, but neither came out of it looking too bad; and Ashley and JP who still seem genuinely happy together. They're seeing this as another Jake/Vienna, which has been a goldmine for them, at least "story"-wise and attention-wise. We know they only care about the reputation and likeability of their "stars" so long as it serves them and not a second longer. IMO, the only thing weirder than thinking going on the Bachelor will lead to a lasting relationship (which, fairness, there have been a few), is subjecting yourself to the mean, merciless, manipulative edits of Bachelor powers that be. Talk about a game of Russian roulette.

Edited by Miss Kubelik, Feb 4, 2012 @ 2:28 PM.

snoopval

snoopval

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 4, 2012 @ 2:34 PM

I'm relieved that I'm not the only one who thought Ben sounded like Kermie. However I am feeling kind of bad because Kermit is likeable and seems to be much less awkward around the ladies...

I was watching some of Ashley's dates on Youtube and it struck me how nice Ben was. He even handled the whole FS thing rather gallantly. I wonder what happens that turns someone who seems like a pretty good guy into a grade A douchemobile?

fionab

fionab

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2012 @ 3:52 PM

I wonder what happens that turns someone who seems like a pretty good guy into a grade A douchemobile?

In Ashley's season, Ben had to be his best self to compete with the likes of Ames, JP, and Ryan. Now, he has no competition, so he can be his douchiest version of himself with impunity.

The girls are going to keep fawning over him even if he's a rude jerk since he's "The Bachelor". Melissa Rycroft all but said there was something about being in the mansion and competing for Jason that messed up her brain. She was able to ignore the fact that she wasn't attracted to Jason to convince herself she was in love with him. I imagine the Bachelorettes on this season are all in the same boat.

repag

repag

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2012 @ 4:36 PM

...Ben drumstick

Yeah we don't ever need to see those two words together again, MuShu.

...what the heck happened to Blakely?

Funny, I was JUST thinking that! Because I had missed the [2nd?] episode and caught up this morning. It was interesting to see it laid out "Memento"-style, knowing that soon Blakely's MainVillainess title would be transferred to Courtney to completely!

Wolfie65

Wolfie65

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2012 @ 5:15 PM

Blakely's 'fading' may be due to the fact that Ben (28) is likely not interested in 34-year old women. If Blakely was 24, he wouldn't know who Courtney is.......

foxtrot21

foxtrot21

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 4, 2012 @ 8:52 PM

I think I remember hearing Blakeley was becoming/is an
esthetician? (sp?) Maybe she is in school for that? Also VIP Waitress does not always mean stripper. A friend of mine works as one in Vegas and she just serves the big name/big money guests at one of the clubs.

garden

garden

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 5, 2012 @ 11:11 AM

I don't think they can "make" you stay.

Although they probably can not legally make you stay there, contestants from other seasons have implied that there would be serious financial implications for breaking their contracts. So, you pretty much are stuck there until the producers decide when you can go.

Bugs Meany

Bugs Meany

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 5, 2012 @ 11:51 AM

Blakely's 'fading' may be due to the fact that Ben (28) is likely not interested in 34-year old women. If Blakely was 24, he wouldn't know who Courtney is.......

If Emily (30-31) is listed as 27, who knows how old Blakeley is.

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2012 @ 4:47 PM

About contestants leaving - at the rose ceremony, it's always "Will you accept this rose?" and the answer, for any episode I've seen, is YES!.
The Rose Ceremony would be the perfect time/place for a contestant to say no. I wonder why we don't see it happen. I would think, if you want to drop out of the show, that would be the place to do it, not before.

I also wonder if Courtney might have played a role in who gets sent home. In the water, Ben and Courtney naked and full frontal contact - who knows what she might have whispered to him?
I can't figure out if Courtney is playing Ben, or if the producers hired her and are playing us. I'm leaning toward thinking that a few girls are "hired" to play a certain role, to spice things up and create drama, and that this happens each season.

stinamaia

stinamaia

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2012 @ 5:50 PM

Who knows what really goes on in this show? I do have the feeling that Courtney is being handed her speeches in her interviews. Sheís pithy and rather funny in those segments. However, when we hear her conversations with Ben, she rarely puts together a sentence of more then 4 or 5 words, and usually they arenít really coherent. Iím not sure what she says to the other women in the house because Iím usually fast forwarding through that stuff. In fact, I find myself fast forwarding though most of it this season.

Iíll admit it. I thought Ben would be better than this. Heís really boring and doesnít provide much interest. I thought Brad was inarticulate, but his conversation appears sparking in contrast.

Also, is it just me, or does Ben appear to have barely masked contempt for some of these women?

Shant

Shant

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2012 @ 8:56 PM

Well if he lets a one digit number (their age difference) make his decision for him, she is better off without him. Talk about shallow.

Miss Kubelik

Miss Kubelik

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 6, 2012 @ 2:43 AM

I never used to believe the producer plant theory until Michelle Money. On her twitter many months ago, she asked if people preferred her acting in an LDS movie that had premiered, Midway to Heaven or in "unscripted reality" I think was the phrase she used. She never outright said The Bachelor as far as I remember but to me it heavily implied that and from which I assume she had been at the very least scouted by producers and encouraged to play a certain part. Then you factor in that she was the femme fatale of her season, but then seemingly one of the nicer and more popular contestants on BP. Granted both shows are more or less game shows so it could be argued she was just employing different strategies.

The other factor is who is a "producer pick" and who is just here for the Wrong Reasons and are playing a rogue character of his/her own design (like maybe, say, Bentley on Ashley's season)? Compare Michelle and Courtney. At the Brad 2.0 WTA, despite how direct and obvious Michelle was pursuing Brad, most of the ladies expressed shock at Michelle's snarky confessionals when they watched at home. This cycle, most of the rejects think both Ben and Courtney are awful and deserve each other. Right now, I'm not sure where I think Courtney falls into. She doesn't seem clever enough by half to come up with a couple of her more recent lines, especially based on her prior fondness for gems like "what'sherbutt" and "winning." She's a ton less artful, too, than Michelle who managed to play every side, it seemed, until WTA, and even then she even squeezed out a few tears and have Chris jump to her defense.

Edited by Miss Kubelik, Feb 6, 2012 @ 2:53 AM.

Kersplatt

Kersplatt

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 6, 2012 @ 5:01 AM

Courtney referring to Blakeley as a stripper, then being the one who actually, y'know, strips. For a man. And rubs up against him naked. I think that may be the definition of ironic.

garden

garden

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 6, 2012 @ 10:46 AM

Also, is it just me, or does Ben appear to have barely masked contempt for some of these women?

It's not just you. He did seem to have contempt for Elise, and a few other women. I previously noticed this with one or two women who left on previous episodes, when he seemed to nearly slam the limo/vehicle door shut as they left. Although several leads in the past have had a hard time disguising disinterest in some of their contestants, I never sensed outright contempt by the lead until this season.

Also, Ben has terrbile manners. One example of many was when he and Emily had their chat in the sand at the cocktail party. I noticed that he was already seated on the towel while she was still standing, getting ready to sit. I'm not a proponent of being old fashioned and treating women as helpless, but he could have at least held her hand and sat down together. It would have been polite in an equal partner kind of way.

On the more trivial side of things, although I really like Kacie, the "flashdance" look she sometimes sports is driving me a little crazy --the one where she has a big sweater that "accidentally" slips off one shoulder, with the requisite tank top underneath. Other than that, I think she's great, and that of course means I like her way too much to end up with Ben. Courtney for the "lose" (final rose)!

JenE4

JenE4

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 6, 2012 @ 10:55 AM

About contestants leaving - at the rose ceremony, it's always "Will you accept this rose?" and the answer, for any episode I've seen, is YES!.
The Rose Ceremony would be the perfect time/place for a contestant to say no. I wonder why we don't see it happen. I would think, if you want to drop out of the show, that would be the place to do it, not before.

And if a bachelor/-ette does leave on his/her own accord, it's always done beforehand with the expressed caveat that the Bachelor/-ette deserves the respect of being told in advance of the rose ceremony. Why? They aren't afforded the same respect.

Only in the VH-1 "of Love" shows have I seen the love trinket of the show turned down during the ceremonies--and it made for a much better TV moment! The lead is left shocked and wondering whether to give it to whomever they were planning on sending home instead.

Amath

Amath

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 6, 2012 @ 11:31 AM

Also, Ben has terrbile manners. One example of many was when he and Emily had their chat in the sand at the cocktail party. I noticed that he was already seated on the towel while she was still standing, getting ready to sit. I'm not a proponent of being old fashioned and treating women as helpless, but he could have at least held her hand and sat down together. It would have been polite in an equal partner kind of way.

Another thing that comes to mind is in a really early episode, at the cocktail party, one of the women tossed a blanket or something to the ground and it landed on one of the candle lanterns. Ben jumped up and picked it up, fine, but he said something really condescending like "Let's not put that on top of a lit candle." You could practically hear him say "...dumbass" under his breath.

I just looked it up... that was week TWO. You'd think anyone could keep up a polite act for a week... guess not this one.

Bugs Meany

Bugs Meany

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 6, 2012 @ 11:50 AM

I'm retracting my claim that Emily is about 31. I looked her up in the Duke alumni directory and she was in the class of '06. I don't know why she looked so familiar (I was a senior when she was a freshman--and I barely knew any juniors, much less freshmen), but anyway, I was mistaken.

fionab

fionab

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 6, 2012 @ 11:51 AM

Ben has terrbile manners.

He also interrupts them on a regular basis. Especially Emily, but yeah, he really does have no grasp of polite behavior.

Vexer

Vexer

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2012 @ 12:07 PM

The candle thing was with Jenna and she was obviously shit faced and clueless. It might have been condescending but I actually gave him props for that one (at the time anyway). It was hilarious.

Ben doesn't do a lot of jacket lending either if I recall. In fact he really doesn't seem to have any bit of chivalry in him at all. Or manners. Last week I thought it would have been nice of him to take Elyse's hand as she had to climb in the boat in her fugly prom dress but he just stood on the beach with his rolled up pants looking like a total goof.

Babylonia

Babylonia

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 6, 2012 @ 5:21 PM

Should have kept the accountant. Unless of course women with critical thinking skills make Ben all "Oog! Ben no like woman think! Woman kiss, skinny dip, and bring Ben drumstick!"

Haha - reminds me of Buffy in "Beer Bad." Of course, that behaviour is a lot more understandable if you're in your twenties, and have the excuse of drinking enchanted beer. Kind of excludes Ben right there.

Wolfie65

Wolfie65

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 7:54 AM

If Emily (30-31) is listed as 27, who knows how old Blakeley is.

I'll buy Emily being 27. Blakely could be anything from 28-50, hard to tell under all the make-up. What I don't buy is Rachel being 28, I'll peg her at around 35. What I also don't buy is Nikki not having kids. Something wrong, perhaps? Assuming the guy (Ben, anyone) wants kids, preferring younger women isn't 'shallow', it's Nature. Brad is 'articulate'? "Ahm lookin' fo ah wahf." On a TV show, while I own several night clubs in one of the babe capitals of the US and can play 'Bachelor' any Friday, Saturday and 'Ladies' night of any week?

Edited by Wolfie65, Feb 7, 2012 @ 7:56 AM.

MuShu

MuShu

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 12:43 PM

Assuming the guy (Ben, anyone) wants kids, preferring younger women isn't 'shallow', it's Nature. Brad is 'articulate'?

Please. It's 2012-Women are putting off having children into their mid thirties and early forties in favor of creating financial security first. That's just an excuse for a man who's stuck mentally at 18. Nothing more pathetic than a middle aged man who refuses to grow up and so makes a fool of himself pursuing younger women based on this erroneous "fact" of nature.

Something's wrong with Nikki because she was married and doesn't have kids? Again, it's 2012-Not all women jump right into Motherhood.

And no, Brad is not articulate.

Wolfie65

Wolfie65

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 1:27 PM

In these parts (not too terribly far from where Nikki is from), the preferred childbearing age is 14-19. In their 30's and 40's, they are grandmothers. With tattoos. Who throw themselves at 22-year old bartenders and bouncers.

Vexer

Vexer

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 2:29 PM

Well in the parts Nikki IS from (suburban DFW), that's not exactly the "norm".

Shant

Shant

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

Please. It's 2012-Women are putting off having children into their mid thirties and early forties in favor of creating financial security first. That's just an excuse for a man who's stuck mentally at 18. Nothing more pathetic than a middle aged man who refuses to grow up and so makes a fool of himself pursuing younger women based on this erroneous "fact" of nature.

Exactly. If an older guy is a good match with a younger woman, good for them, same with older women and younger men. Turnabout is fair play after all. However, if an older guy goes after a younger woman merely because he thinks she would make a better brood mare than women his own age or a little bit older, he deserves to have that younger woman give him a smackdown for that. Yuck.

Kersplatt

Kersplatt

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 9:11 PM

Ben doesn't do a lot of jacket lending either if I recall.

Yep, I really noticed that in that ski chalet with Nicki. Where it was HIS FREAKING IDEA to go out onto the balcony to watch the FREAKING SNOW. And keep his jacket on while she kept wearing that bare-shouldered dress. Dude, it's not just a bit chilly out. It's SNOWING. Give. Her. Your. Jacket. Gahhhh.

KenB

KenB

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 12, 2012 @ 1:54 PM

In Nicki's one-on-one date with Ben, she commented that she wants to live with a guy before she marries him. She seems to imply that she thinks this is a better way to avoid what happened with her previous husband. I was disappointed, but not really surprised, when she made that comment. While it is true that living together before getting married appears to be more common in today's society, that doesn't make it right. In fact, various research studies have shown that couples that live together before getting married have a higher rate of subsequent divorce than those that don't. Unfortunately, I think that a lot of people have bought into the myth that living together before marriage is good preparation for marriage.