AS-5: "Clothes off Your Back" 2012.02.02

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

129 replies to this topic

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 1:28 AM

I don't get it, how did Jerrell not get eliminated? That outfit was HIDEOUS, he does not have the ability to put patterns together that Mondo does, the whole thing just defined the word fugly.

The only time a female would wear Michael's outfit walking around New York is if she was working in an industry that required use of the phrase "hey baby, are you looking for a date?"

I'm tired of reality shows doing the do-something-humiliating-and-possibly-dangerous-to-get-your-own-supplies routine. There was no reason the show couldn't have supplied random clothing to the designers so that they didn't have to go after strangers for their fabric. This isn't Project Sales Personality, it's Project Runway. Anything that the designers have to do that isn't designing or creating clothes is bullshit.

starspider

starspider

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 1:48 AM

I've had about all I can take of Michael's seemingly obsessive need to be the center of attention at every possible moment. Anthony (or Miss Antoinetta, if you're Austin!) was totally composed and seemed kind of embarrassed that Michael was carrying on about Anthony being auffed.

Though I guess if nothing else, Michael should thank his lucky stars he's still there, because his outfit was straight-up Gretchen, from color palate to granny panties. Frankly, I think he is long due for the auffing and I don't quite get why he skated by tonight.

The judges said that Anthony only used the found fabrics for the turban, belt, and clutch, but didn't he say that everything from the waist up was included? Wouldn't that have included the shirt as well? Because the pants were long and voluminous, he still may have had the same issue in terms of not using 50% found stuff, but I could've sworn he said the shirt/top thing was also a found fabric.

heebiejeebie

heebiejeebie

Stalker

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 2:03 AM

I'm boggled that the judges seemed to think Jerrell somehow missed by a margin. Instead of calling out as a huge heap of unwearable ugly. Does his horrific fashion induce mini-strokes that cause some kind of optical illusion or just keep the judges from actually seeing and processing the mess as it is? The only way that crap could have looked worse is if he sent it out on the runway on Snooki.

I thought Rami's was the best by far. And I wish I could hear more of the judging because to me saying the hat didn't work and yet the outfit lacked drama seemed if not a contradiction it still seemed off. Plus I think the focus on drama seems silly as it was not commercial and yet was really wearable.

As bad as Jerrell's was I would have been fine with a double elimination. Michael. And the woman who simpered that Michael's design was "elegant" as it left the runway. Was that Mila? Because whoever said that should be thrown off for either having ridiculously bad fashion or just a pathetic suck up to someone who has won previous challenges. Even if I was forced to lie at gunpoint, elegant is nowhere near what would come to mind. Something so completely garishly revealing and still managed to look like what Victorian ladies wore as a tampon.

MommaJ

MommaJ

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 2:19 AM

Michael's outfit was certainly not something to be worn in real life, but in what world would anyone stroll down the street in a bra top with a jacket? Mondo's jacket looked fine closed, and there was lots of drama when the model opened it to reveal the bra, but a bra doesn't suffice as an article of clothing, either under an open jacket or by itself. Mondo's work is always eye-catching, but to me this outfit didn't qualify as clothing.

Mystery

Mystery

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 2:48 AM

I liked that Mondo and Austin actually were able to talk about the folks they got the clothes from as people, not as walking clothes hangers. And I LOVED that Mondo's entire outfit (minus one piece of trim) actually came from the clothes other people gave/sold him. He deserved this win.

I liked that, too, and I think Austin appreciated the judge saying that she thought that his muse would love his outfit. I thought so, too.

I liked Mondo's jacket the best. I didn't care for the bikini top. I disagreed with the judge who said the outfit was perfect and couldn't be worn any other way-- I could easily see someone wearing the jacket, or the skirt, with a better top.

My jaw dropped when Michael said, while his model was walking the runway, that he loved that he could think about regular women wearing his clothes.

Zemiar

Zemiar

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 3:01 AM

This was a pretty fun episode. While I had my gripes, I didn't see any outfit that I disliked on the runway. I liked Mondo's, Kenley's and Rami's work especially. It's a stark difference compared to the Sugar-daddy Dogs challenge last season where every outfit was hideous.

tyladurden

tyladurden

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 3:05 AM

Yay, finally we get some full on Mondo-fab. Loved the little details in the jacket and the genius way he matched up the prints in the shorts made his model's bum look amazing. That was a well deserved win, with an honorable mention to Austin, who I thought created a a very successful fusion of his girly glamour Austiness with his muse's personal style.

ratgirlagogo

ratgirlagogo

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 4:35 AM

OK so normally I'm not one to kvetch about the myriad challenge rules we obviously don't hear about, but... They had 30 minutes to find clothing in Central Park, so how did they all get to Union Square? I wasn't going to whine about it, but then Mondo even mentioned they got clothing in Union Sq. I'm wondering if the tourists in Central Park were too freaked out by them so they went to Union Sq as a last resort.

I didn't understand this either. Did I miss something? I'm not even sure that Union Square folks would necessarily be wearing better clothes or anything - Central Park is huge. Probably that was the problem - Union Square is smaller and more filmable. Feh - I've never liked the "clothes-off-your-back" challenges anyway. I don't watch PR for the standard-issue reality show sadism.

Glad Mondo won - this piece seemed more like the Mondo I love and remember than most of his stuff this season. Liked Rami's and Austin's and Kenley's as well. Would have been fine with either Anthony or Jerrell getting aufed - neither one of them are as funny or as fabulous as they seem to think.

Edited by ratgirlagogo, Feb 3, 2012 @ 4:35 AM.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 4:59 AM

The judges said that Anthony only used the found fabrics for the turban, belt, and clutch, but didn't he say that everything from the waist up was included? Wouldn't that have included the shirt as well? Because the pants were long and voluminous, he still may have had the same issue in terms of not using 50% found stuff, but I could've sworn he said the shirt/top thing was also a found fabric.

You are correct. When Joanna did her walk thru Anthony showed her a black t-shirt he had also gotten, so it's likely that the top was made from that. Still those palazzo pants were pretty voluminous and the top was a razor back type of design. My guess is that the brought fabric to borrowed clothing was something like 4 -1, whereas Jerrell probably got brownie points for not using any brought fabric.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

• Interests:Left wing politics, sci-fi, sports, competitive reality shows

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 5:19 AM

Not a good week for me. I didn't like Mondo's look at all. I wouldn't have put it in the bottom--it was constructed well, I could see that--but aesthetically I thought it was pretty hideous, and I intensely disliked the top. The jacket was its saving grace and that had a rather ugly green in its sleeves. (I should note I like Mondo generally and hope he goes far.)

I think you had a perfectly fine week. I think the judges had a shitty week. I agree that the only good part of Mondo's look was the jacket (which I loved). I'm not generally a fan of his clashing patterns anyway, but those shorts were especially egregious.

Austin's was my favorite, not much surprise there, but I'm rather a sucker for glittery bits and I loved what he did with his muse's belt.

While I generally don't like Austin--as a designer or a character--his outfit might have been my favorite of the entire season-to-date. I adored everything about it. I thought the general cut was flattering. I also tend to dress in a girly version of the old punk aesthetic, so it was perfect for my tastes, as well.

As for the bottom three, I really thought Michael's top was going to be cool. On the dress form, I loved it. It just didn't fit the model correctly, or the material didn't hold up right. The shorts are better left unmentioned. I will say that I agree with the poster who said the hot pants were no more unsuitable than all of the bikini tops (or Anthony's bare-all halter, for that matter).

I don't like Anthony's tendency to shit-talk. I think it's nasty. (And, by the same token, Michael, Mila and Jerell need to knock it off, too.) I do think he should have remained in the challenge over Jerell, though. How many times is Jerell going to send down the same overwrought, over-worked, tacky shit before he gets sent packing? As much as I disliked Michael's, I actually thought Jerell's should have been in the bottom 2. It's as hideous as the thing he sent down last week. It might be that I've liked some of Michael's stuff this season, but I have yet to see anything this side of atrocious from Jerell. I just think Jerrell is fodder.

I will say that it's kind of funny that this was being filmed at the same time as the last regular season of PR. While Anya was getting her competitors to help her sew her way to the win, this group was bagging on Kara for getting help from Kenley. I wish Kenley hadn't done that. I very much like her friendship with Kara. I don't have any problem with her giving advice (and no one but Mila seemed to have a problem with the advice). I do have a problem with one designer actually doing the work for another designer, though.

Edited by BDArizona, Feb 3, 2012 @ 5:20 AM.

pasdetrois

pasdetrois

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 7:44 AM

Rami commented how hot it was outside, so all I could think about was the designers having to work with a stranger's sweaty clothes. Yuck.

Michael annoys the hell outta me. There's a calculating mind behind the big-puppy-eyes, poor-me, excited shrieking persona. You can see him turn on the poor-me persona when he's communicating with Joanna or the judges.

Kara's muse seemed to be into her. He said he loved her accent.

I hate these stupid seat-of-the-pants challenges. I just want to see some old-fashioned, quality design.

stephf13

stephf13

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 7:53 AM

You are correct. When Joanna did her walk thru Anthony showed her a black t-shirt he had also gotten, so it's likely that the top was made from that. Still those palazzo pants were pretty voluminous and the top was a razor back type of design. My guess is that the brought fabric to borrowed clothing was something like 4 -1, whereas Jerrell probably got brownie points for not using any brought fabric.

That's what I thought he said, too. I don't know, I really liked Anthony's design, and I don't think I would have been THAT picky about the fabric that was used. Yes, the pants had a lot of fabric, but if everything from the waist up was from the found fabric, I would have been willing to consider that about half, if it were me.

I have a question about Kenley's look. I loved it. However, her "muse" was wearing a top of narrow black and white striped silk. The only place that is in her dress is a panel at the top of the dress (front and back, kind of like a dickie), and a belt. The primary material is a wide black and white stripe, which I assume she purchased at Mood. The red and white houndstooth material at the model's hips was definitely from Mood, there's a photo of her online looking at it. There is also a yellow and white stripe, but that is just two small panels on the side. If she purchased that wide-stripe fabric and houndstooth fabric at Mood, how is it that Kenley's look met the 50% criteria and Anthony's didn't?

lovesduncan

lovesduncan

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 8:02 AM

I'm another person who liked Jerrell's work during S5, but has not cared for most of his work this season. You could build a look around each of those four(?) pieces, but they looked awful together.

Agree. Jerrell demonstrated potential in S5 but was constantly told to "edit" his designs. He hasn't been listening.

I wasn't in love with Mondo's look - not sure that those 3 pieces actually went well together. I preferred Rami's look...even with the much maligned hat. Very tired of Michael - how many times does he cry in each episode?

Sean Avery as a judge...really? He grunted and mumbled his way thru every critique.

Overall, another midly disappointing challenge in a mildy disappointing season.

I just want to see some old-fashioned, quality design

Agree. This is an "all-star" season and, so far, we've had mostly mundane, unexciting challenges. The only challenge that offered some interest was "Opera Night" and they had one day to execute it. (Contrast that with two days to design with someone else's sweaty clothes!) I was hoping for so much more this season because I like quite a few of the designers. But they all seem somewhat uninspired.

Edited by lovesduncan, Feb 3, 2012 @ 8:03 AM.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 8:13 AM

I'd have to look at the designs again to speak on Kenley's, but no way was Anthony's even close to half. He barely used even half the t shirt on his model's top & then he had that giant ruffle on the pants in addition to making them very wide legged and flowy.

TerryMcT

TerryMcT

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 8:24 AM

Austin's outfit looked like something Madonna would have worn on her Like a Virgin tour. It was really 80's. I guess that counts as retro now. That said, it was well made.

I loved Mondo's outfit, particularly the jacket. I think it would have been better with a little cami under it rather than a bikini top. I was glad he won.

Jerrell, he should have gone home. WTF was that? If a woman wore that on the street, we'd all know how conscientious she was about maintaining her waxing.

Michael, the idea was good. The top needed some additional work but was pretty (outside of the sagging). It needed a little skirt or longer shorts. The bottom was too much like a leotard bottom.

Anthony, not his best work. Turn the patterned material into a top, then use the other t-shirts for a skirt. I really liked that electric blue t-shirt he'd made. I was hoping that would stay and the patterned fabric would become the skirt not that skanky old vest he was working on.

Kara, OMG so boring. Really, black pants and that top is an all-stars outfit? I thought she'd be in the bottom three for producing something that looked like a first year fashion student would produce on a whim.

Kenley's dress was the cutest thing we've seen her make in a long time. Retro is great, but you can't keep whipping out basically the same garment time after time. This outfit took Kenley into a slightly different retro era and was nicely done.

Mila's outfit was nicely done, but it's something we've seen many times before. There was no real freshness about it.

Rami, very nicely done particularly the blouse. I'd wear a version of that top to work.

Scarlet39

Scarlet39

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 8:29 AM

The only theory I have regarding Jerrell's staying power is that they did him so dirty in S5, that they are trying to make it up to him. I like him, but that outfit last night was really bad. As Nina would say "he has a taste issue".

Kenley's dress was the cutest thing we've seen her make in a long time. Retro is great, but you can't keep whipping out basically the same garment time after time. This outfit took Kenley into a slightly different retro era and was nicely done.

It looked like something Mondo would do!

marnyh

marnyh

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 8:58 AM

The only time a female would wear Michael's outfit walking around New York is if she was working in an industry that required use of the phrase "hey baby, are you looking for a date?"

There's an episode of Sex and the City (maybe a couple episodes) where Carrie is wearing shorts like the ones Michael made. Since I think Carrie typically dressed pretty terribly, I hated Michael's look too. But since Carrie's style was "iconic", I can see the designers thinking there's nothing wrong with making something that looks like what she would wear, particularly in a challenge about being inspired by a New York girl on the street. I was a little surprised the judges cared about the bareness of the outfit, when the real problem is it had terrible fit and construction.

Not sure if this pic is from SATC, or just a candid of SJP, but: http://2.bp.blogspot...0/hot pants.jpg

Edited by marnyh, Feb 3, 2012 @ 8:59 AM.

NYC2007

NYC2007

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 9:16 AM

Sean Avery as a judge...really? He grunted and mumbled his way thru every critique.

This! I couldn't stand him when he was in the NHL. At least he behaved and didn't make any nasty remarks - from what we saw. What qualifies him to judge the designs? That would be like me commenting and the judges taking me seriously. Which if they had, they would have sent Michael home.

I love Rami's designs this season. He's showing a ton of versitility.

Scarlet39

Scarlet39

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 9:27 AM

marnyh, that pic is from SATC.

Edited by Scarlet39, Feb 3, 2012 @ 9:27 AM.

MHSWeb79

MHSWeb79

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 9:34 AM

Yes, but I think the judges also get a photo of the designer's muse, and that was the girl with the great green/ pattern fabric that he ended up only using to make a purse. The actual jumpsuit was light years away from the style of his muse, and the purse was clearly thrown in there just so there would be some link, however tenuous, to the original outfit. So he missed the requirements completely, not just by using more than 50% new fabric.

tanyak

tanyak

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 9:49 AM

Anthony's comment about Kenley being loud--"Kenley is very loud. When a black person says you are loud, you are TOO LOUD!" had me LOL!

I died when he said that. Too funny. I know Anthony got on a lot of nerves, but I thought he was true and authentic. And funny! I think he failed to meet the parameters of the challenge, so it made sense what he would go home.

I am starting to be over Michael, though. I felt bad for him his season, but a lot of his reactions do seem rather ramped up this season.

And Jarrell? WTF?

Special Kay

Special Kay

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 10:03 AM

Jerrell: WTF? Something must be wrong with me because that looked like three Broadway performers got into a fight: one from The Lion King and one from Rent and one from Hair -- and got their clothes all mixed up. Ridiculously tacky. And how banal was that model's navel ring? Looked more like she belonged at Claire's than the runway.

Loved Mondo's! And I also loved Kenley's, which looked a bit Mondo-esque, if I do say so.

I totally get the Austin love, but his model's walk is busted. She looked drunk or something.

Was Michael's booty short sheer? It kind of looked as if the top came down to fasten under her crotch like a thong? (or am I hallucinating)

I think Mondo and Austin were the only ones who took to heart the meaning of "find a muse." Everyone else seemed to think the challenge was "get strangers to give you their clothing."

Funniest lines of the night:

Anthony: "Kenley is too loud. If a black person says you're too loud, you're TOO LOUD."
Austin: "I don't know how Anthony did, but I got his number."

Kara's muse was freaking me out. He had a slight stalker vibe. Men, if you want to pick up a lady in the street, do not emulate this guy!!

dirtybubble

dirtybubble

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 10:28 AM

This! I couldn't stand him when he was in the NHL. At least he behaved and didn't make any nasty remarks - from what we saw. What qualifies him to judge the designs?

WORST.GUEST.JUDGE.EVER. A hockey player as a judge about fashion? If this is in fact All Stars there should be All Star judges! And I just love how Kara had to explain the viewing audience who the flip he was. The fact that he wears fashionable clothes (that his stylists picks out for him btw) does not qualify him to be on this show. And I thought having Miss Piggy as a guest judge was weak.

Anthony: "Kenley is too loud. If a black person says you're too loud, you're TOO LOUD."

Yeah her voice was starting to grate last night. In a way I'm gonna miss Anthony. He was a bit weak on the design dept. but he totally made up for it in charisma.

suzeecat

suzeecat

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 10:36 AM

I was picturing Jerrell's creation as part of a makover "punked" show, using it in the "after" feature with the host proclaiming that the makeover was a fabulous success and the "winner" having a gut-wrenching reaction to her big reveal. Good times, LOL!

I like to see the designers helping each other with ideas, and even loaning money at Mood, but I definitely think there should be a rule against actually doing work for another designer. I'm really surprised that isn't an automatic disqualification.

I was cringing a little at them having to work with the "worn" clothes. I wondered if they were laundered first.

Earned or not, I was so happy to see Mondo WIN!!!

hunterhunted

hunterhunted

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 11:02 AM

This! I couldn't stand him when he was in the NHL. At least he behaved and didn't make any nasty remarks - from what we saw. What qualifies him to judge the designs?

Sean Avery had a very famous "intership" at Vogue. You can read about his "intership": http://abcnews.go.co...y...4620&page=1

http://nymag.com/dai...ntern_sean.html

He goes to the shows and is well dressed, which makes him no more or less qualified than any other starlet/fashion plate that they've had judge judge the show in the past. As to his critiques, I thought they were about as insightful as most of the celebrity judges who've been on the show.

As to Anthony's aufing, I think the fact that most of his found material worked its way into accessories had a big part to play in his loss.

hoodooznoodooz

hoodooznoodooz

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 11:08 AM

I agree that Michael was obnoxious to tattle re Kenley & Kara, but he made me laugh (second time I ever laughed watching PR: first time was Santino imitating Tim Gunn, "What you've created here is delicious") when he said to Mondo, "You want me to finish this for you?"

BeanyMalone

BeanyMalone

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 11:34 AM

Michael's outfit was certainly not something to be worn in real life ....

I'm no Michael fan (can't stand the weepy, faux humility), but I do think his design this week can be worn in "real life". It just can't be worn in public. It was no winning design, but it's basically a romper. I could see a certain type of woman (and not necessarily that certain type of woman) wearing it at home. Fit was the real issue, but that's always an issue for Michael and he cleverly designs around it. Usually. But this is two weeks in row of lingerie. I couldn't see many people wearing his design last week in public, either, but for at home? Why not?

I don't really have an opinion on the extent to which designers should be able to help each other, but the Kenley-Kara dynamic is pretty interesting, for now anyway. Kara is such a bundle of neediness and Kenley is just waiting to fill any void.

I have no idea why Austin was in the top (I would have put Mila there). A majorette skirt? Black punk? April was jealous. And that's a bad thing.

Edited by BeanyMalone, Feb 3, 2012 @ 11:35 AM.

Ketzel

Ketzel

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 11:57 AM

Jerrell's outfit looked like it was made for a Tribal Fusion style bellydancer.

http://people.tribe....38-d24a95ff4567

Paula in Playa

Paula in Playa

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 12:11 PM

Michael annoys the hell outta me. There's a calculating mind behind the big-puppy-eyes, poor-me, excited shrieking persona. You can see him turn on the poor-me persona when he's communicating with Joanna or the judges

ITA. I didn't watch the Gretchen season, so he has no wellspring of automatic sympathy from me. He aggravates the bejesus out of me.

Ah, Sean Avery. I have a teensy weensy bit of fondness left for him from his days in L.A., and I agree -- he was no better, but certainly no worse than any of the celebutard judges they've had to this point.

whitless256

whitless256

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2012 @ 12:41 PM

The difference for me, between Anthony and Jerrell this week, and the reason I think Jerrell should have gone (beyond the fact that his outfit was awful), was that Anthony pretty much knew he wasn't creating his best work. Jerrell, though? He thought that outfit was going to win him the challenge! That shows me that, while Anthony bombed royally at the challenge, he has a heck of a lot more style than Jerrell. What's worse? A designer who knows his work is crap and does his best to salvage it, or a designer who thinks his crap is gold?