8-10: "Runaways" 2012.01.30

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

36 replies to this topic

Bookface

Bookface

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 1, 2012 @ 2:44 PM

Rewatching the episode, I really can't stand Adams. Every word out of her mouth was painfully self-righteous and trying to bond with the runaway by sharing her pathetic little rebellion was just insulting. Why is she even on this show? She adds nothing.

And as the Weecap rightly pointed out, if anyone was going to bond with the kid it should have been Chase.

extracat

extracat

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 1, 2012 @ 5:53 PM

They've been beating us over the head for years telling us Foreman is like House and it's never rang true. I've always thought Chase was more like House intellectually even though he's not a mini-me by any means. About the only thing that Foreman and House have in common is that they're both asses, but Foreman is definitely his own brand of ass.

ChromaKelly

ChromaKelly

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2012 @ 10:31 AM

I'd like to see a chart of FUD (frequently used diseases) on House. I'm pretty sure parasitic worms are in the top ten, somewhere below tiny undetected cancers and above lupus.

There's also the "disease has been dormant until X woke it up (a fall, like this eps, being in a the clean hospital, change in food, treating for a symptom...)

Agree 10000% that Chase was about the only thing likable in this episode. I've always like Chase, but the previous season or two's version of womanizing, galavanting Chase was too skeevy. Glad he's back to normal.

Taub's being bored with the babies thing was meh, but not that bad. I have twins (now 6 yrs old) and totally remember the sitting in Bumbos, high chairs, lying on the floor days. But part of the fun of having twins was watching them interact, and even at 6-9 months or whatever the babies are supposed to be, they were starting to play with each other. I used to have them face each other in the Bumbo seats, and it was so cute. IDK, you don't have to play with your baby(ies) 24/7, but should be more interested when you only see them on weekends.

Rewatching the episode, I really can't stand Adams. Every word out of her mouth was painfully self-righteous and trying to bond with the runaway by sharing her pathetic little rebellion was just insulting. Why is she even on this show? She adds nothing.

Ugh, yeah. I swear, I have amnesia about her. Every time I see her for the first time in an ep, I'm like "Who's that again? Oh yeah, prison doctor." Then someone says "Dr. Adams" when she's not on screen, and again, "Who's Dr. Adams? Oh yeah, prison doctor." She adds nothing to the show. Zero. Should have had Foreman back on the team and made Wilson the new admin.

Edited by ChromaKelly, Feb 2, 2012 @ 10:34 AM.

lz1982

lz1982

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2012 @ 11:26 AM

Should have had Foreman back on the team and made Wilson the new admin.

Or kept Foreman as the dean with Chase, Taub and Park as the fellows. Four fellows always seems like too many to me.

QueenofCups

QueenofCups

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2012 @ 12:19 PM

Four fellows always seems like too many to me.

Agreed. Taub was missing from the last episode, and I hardly noticed he was gone.

I would be happy if either Taub or Adams was offered a job elsewhere, got hit by a bus, etc. to thin the herd a bit. My preference would be to have Adams disappear, because at least the actor who plays Taub knows how to deliver a funny line. I can tolerate him when he isn't bitching about having to spend time with his children, be faithful to his wife, etc., but Adams is insufferable, unprofessional and self-righteous all the time.

Edited by QueenofCups, Feb 2, 2012 @ 12:26 PM.

lucindabelle

lucindabelle

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 1:47 AM

I actually hated that the runaway ran away again, to be homeless. It makes no sense that she gave up working two jobs to keep the power on, to living in a place without power. And if her mom was a decent enough mom up until the time her dad died, I don't find it plausible that she'd be so firm in her rejection. I would feel differenlty if the girl were of age and able to work and support herself, but making it heroic to be a teenage homeless person and show some relationships can't be fixed does not work for me, at all.

I too am tired of the dormant disease until trope, and the exotic worms issue. It would have been far more interesting in every way if she had been an alcoholic.

Every time Park speaks I want to take a nap. Maybe it's her delivery.

Overall, a meh episode.

Beatriceblake

Beatriceblake

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 9:48 AM

House seemed meaner, more unpleasant, and more hateful than usual.

I thought the attempted blackmail was an ugly touch. House has often blackmailed people to get them to do what he thinks is the right thing medically but to have him attempt to blackmail Foreman purely for personal gain was unpleasant.

His talk with Callie’'s Mum was horrid as well although it was a compelling scene. It came off way too harsh given that she wasn't completely irredeemable. It was dark to have House try to upset her so she would take the pills, so they could ignore her decision.

I liked the ending though. Callie clearly was managing to take care of herself and she seemed too smart to risk things going badly with her Mum again. It continues to irritate me that all the team use the time during diagnostic tests to interrogate their patients about their various lifestyle choices. I didn’'t find Adams very realistic. If she thought Callie was a child and social services needed to be involved then why did she discuss it with Callie? People who think like that would have called social services straightaway because they don’'t think children are capable of making those decisions.

I also enjoyed Wilson’'s puzzled face when Taub appeared in his office. He looked like he was thinking "“but I’'m the one who appears out of nowhere to psychoanalyse people".”

It makes no sense that she gave up working two jobs to keep the power on, to living in a place without power.

It may have been that the mortgage was already paid on her Mum's home so they just needed utilities and food. Besides she woulddn't have been able to rent even if she had kept her two jobs. She looked too young to pass as an adult and she wasn't emancipated. There would have been a high risk she would get reported to social services by a suspicious landlord.

Edited by Beatriceblake, Mar 3, 2012 @ 9:52 AM.