A Separation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

8 replies to this topic

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2012 @ 7:48 PM

Two Oscar nominations!

ethanvahlere

ethanvahlere

Stalker

• Interests:Movies, books, music, apple juice (which I drink the way the Gilmores drink coffee), Veronica Mars, The Wire, Big Love, Pushing Daisies.

Posted Jan 27, 2012 @ 11:48 PM

This is one case when you can believe all the hype. It's one of those films built around the line "The great tragedy of life is that everybody has their reasons", and you can definitely see it here. And without ever getting didactic about it, the film also explores Iranian society today, a woman's place in it, and the entire nature of truth, of whether you can completely find it in any situation, especially one like this. Finally, the way the film sets this up from the very beginning with the main couple talking to an invisible judge, or, essentially, us, is brilliant.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jan 28, 2012 @ 5:13 PM

I already wrote about this film elsewhere on this site, but I also recommend it highly.

GreekGeek

GreekGeek

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2012 @ 8:46 PM

I also found it very absorbing, for the reasons mentioned above, but it did include a major peeve of mine: rolling the credits/fading out right when a character is about to make a major decision. Would it really have ruined the film if we saw the daughter's decision about her custodial parent?

ethanvahlere

ethanvahlere

Stalker

• Interests:Movies, books, music, apple juice (which I drink the way the Gilmores drink coffee), Veronica Mars, The Wire, Big Love, Pushing Daisies.

Posted Feb 6, 2012 @ 7:01 PM

Sorry, but I disagree. If you show the choice, that automatically implies some kind of closure. By not showing it, you're able to imply there is no real closure, and in this sort of situation, that rings true.

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2012 @ 7:57 PM

Yep, I agree with ethanvahlere that the open ending symbolizes that there's no satisfactory resolution to all of this.

And maybe I'm overthinking, but did anyone think that maybe Termeh hadn't made up her mind and was trying to work out something with the judge? She was talking with him for an awfully long time. But if that's true, then it sort of negates the impact of what I said above, so maybe not.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 5:38 PM

I loved this movie. I saw it with one of my best friends, an Iranian immigrant, so I had a few questions about culture. (FYI, the settlement they reached was about $15K in US dollars, and the caregiver wages were about $300 - so yes, that was very low to care full-time for an Alzheimer's patient.) She said that women tend not to wear the head coverings at home, but because this was shot in Iran, the Iranian government insisted that women wear the head coverings all the time in the film. She also said that generally speaking, the more affluent the family, the more secular, as we saw here - the separated wife wore jeans, the other didn't, etc.

And maybe I'm overthinking, but did anyone think that maybe Termeh hadn't made up her mind and was trying to work out something with the judge?

No, I thought she would stay with her father.

I had a hard time with Termeh's mother basically saying "Your dad doesn't know which way is up, he won't know if you leave the country." And I also had no idea that your creditors could arrest you - that debtor's prison still existed in Iran.

the entire nature of truth, of whether you can completely find it in any situation, especially one like this.

And also how circumstances can spiral - Termeh said that if her mother hadn't left, none of it would have happened, but really, if the grandfather hadn't had Alzheimer's, none of it would have happened - which of course is out of everyone's control. The grandfather's illness was why the father wouldn't leave and why they needed a caregiver at all.

I wondered what happened to the missing money.

Edited by Empress1, Feb 26, 2012 @ 5:39 PM.

Virginia Plain

Virginia Plain

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 7:25 PM

I wondered what happened to the missing money.

I think that was the money Simin took at the very beginning to pay the movers.

Cress

Cress

Stalker

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

I heard this movie won an Oscar. Congratulations!