Key & Peele

• Please log in to reply

482 replies to this topic

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Nov 7, 2012 @ 6:18 PM

K&P were on "Late Night With Jimmy Fallon" this week (I think it was Monday; I am underslept and out of sorts, but I'm pretty sure that's when I saw it). They mostly talked about Obama and Luther. They showed a clip of Obama (the real one) describing the K&P imitation.

Shippaisha

Shippaisha

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 8, 2012 @ 2:20 AM

"To all the white people who voted for me...you're all now honorary black people."

Lots of winning sketches tonight. Crying masturbator with the game sensors, emotionally aware bully, LMFAO's endless party, etc. As a bitter, boring old homebody, I found the latter to be particularly snickerworthy.

DrGirlfriend

DrGirlfriend

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 8, 2012 @ 3:15 AM

Even though "the Simpsons did it!" already, the remote controller sketch was funny - the other party guests, especially the redhead, REALLY sold it.

A lot of K&P's humor seems based on almost dragging out a situation too long (ex. drunk girl, African warlord, juice box interrogation), but thankfully they have a very good sense of juuuust when to cut it. And the drunk club couple one was hilarious to me because of 1) Key's wig, 2) Peele's making a pretty, pretty woman, and 3) the name "Meegan."

I'll admit, it's lame, but I like LMFAO's songs. I totally want "Non-Stop Party" for my iPod!

Katrinawitch

Katrinawitch

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 8, 2012 @ 10:16 AM

My 8 year old son and I can't stop watching their crazy football names video! All he has to say is "Javaris Jamar Javarison-Lamar", and I'm rolling on the floor! These guys are brilliant!

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Nov 8, 2012 @ 3:01 PM

My 8 year old son and I can't stop watching their crazy football names video! All he has to say is "Javaris Jamar Javarison-Lamar", and I'm rolling on the floor!

Just reading that name cracks me up, and I can totally see his happy face as he says his name. I love that skit.

And the drunk club couple one was hilarious to me because of 1) Key's wig, 2) Peele's making a pretty, pretty woman, and 3) the name "Meegan."

Yes to all three of your points. I said last week that Peele makes a very attractive woman. I loved his voice (and that they brought the voice back with the menacing sandwich guy). Also, this show has great wigs.

Love the LMFAO skit. I assume that's not a real song... Is it? Anyway, this was well done. It could even be a real music video.

I thought the Kinect skit was ok, but then the masturbating part started, and I couldn't stop laughing.

I also loved the African warlord bit, esp when the Peele threw a big cooking pot at him.

The self-aware bullier was great. I loved all the lines. “Now I’m going to punish you physically for acknowledging my emotional problems.” “I’m going to internalize that and unknowingly transfer it onto you tomorrow.” And to his dad, “Coming reluctantly.”

How could I almost forget the Obama/Luther bit! That was great. Love the hammer-dancing.

ETA -

I just heard on the radio "Don't Stop the Party" and of course I thought of Key & Peele getting stuck in party hell.

Edited by peeayebee, Nov 8, 2012 @ 9:32 PM.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Nov 9, 2012 @ 1:16 AM

Four more years of Obama & Luther . . . who can ask for anything more? Of course, there's the question on whether the show can last that long. I have to say that the guys are very talented beyond merely those two characters.

Love the LMFAO skit. I assume that's not a real song... Is it?

It could be . . .. that's the usual video, sans the "We didn't survive the bus crash, did we?" vibe.

Has it ever been determined what kinda of name is "D'Brickashaw"? Ending that sketch with a white kid from BYU was golden.

Shippaisha

Shippaisha

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 9, 2012 @ 3:07 AM

"Cities, cities, cities, cities"

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Nov 9, 2012 @ 11:46 AM

Has it ever been determined what kinda of name is "D'Brickashaw"?

Sports Illustrated:

Like millions of Americans in late March 1983, Edwin Ferguson and his wife, Rhunette, were engrossed in The Thorn Birds. The ABC miniseries, based on the best-selling novel by Colleen McCullough, told the story of Ralph de Bricassart, an ambitious Catholic priest in Australia torn between his devotion to the church and his passion for the comely Meggie Cleary. So moved was Edwin by the melodrama that he decided that if the couple, whose first son, Edwin Jr., was born in 1980, had another boy, they'd name him after the protagonist in The Thorn Birds. "The character was so reminiscent of the struggle we face even now," says Edwin. "Wanting to do the things that are pleasing to the Holy Father, and to achieve goals on Earth." When Rhunette gave birth to the couple's second son later that year, Edwin proposed a variation on the priest's name: D'Brickashaw. Rhunette wasn't so sure. "To be honest," she says, chuckling, "I thought it was very unusual." She preferred the more mundane Montgomery.

The parents consulted Rhunette's mother, Evelyn McClendon, to settle the matter. After careful consideration she sided with Dad. "The idea was to give him something unique," Edwin says, "and from early on, he was a unique individual."

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Nov 9, 2012 @ 1:56 PM

i agree there were a lot of great sketches tonight, I especially loved Obama and Luther doing the Hammer dance in celebration of the President being re-elected. Although I disagree, I thought Luther was doing it better.

Also a lot of cameos.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Nov 9, 2012 @ 4:45 PM

I thought Peele was doing it better but hey, you can never go wrong when you're dancing like Hammer. Just me or is them saying "Are you tired of politics?" a signal that they aren't going to do that skit for a while?

I love the show but for some reason the time rarely works out for me and I don't usually end up watching it live.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Nov 10, 2012 @ 12:28 AM

Just saw a recent episode of Robot Chicken . . . here's a sketch kinda like the adventure with Kinect.

Also, how funny were the racist dogs? It's amazing how cute a doggy can be, even when his hood is falling to the side of his head.

Edited by Lantern7, Nov 10, 2012 @ 12:34 AM.

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted Nov 11, 2012 @ 2:10 PM

Andre Royo!

Key & Peele getting stuck in party hell.

Party hell. That is what I thought it was too. Perhaps now we know why LMFAO went on hiatus: they just got tired.

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted Nov 15, 2012 @ 10:10 AM

Doublepost.

The SWAT sketch was dumb, but I still liked it for going in a direction that I didn't expect, given that I thought that Key would be the incompetent one who didn't know what he was doing. The same with the substitute teacher sketch.

The checking out the ladies sketch seemed pretty uninspired. Like, it was leading up to them seeing woman wearing more modern or Western garb, but went to the virgin joke instead.

The Darius skit was pretty good in a somewhat sad way.

The money sketch was pretty good, though I kind of wish that they survived the initial shootout only to be killed by the last guy. Never have I seen the connection between Rain Man and making it rain made so explicit.

Joimiaroxeu

Joimiaroxeu

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2012 @ 1:52 PM

The SWAT sketch made me laugh out loud. I thought it was rather Monty Python-esque. I also liked the song-and-dance sketch at the end. They did a good job of coming up with modern rhymes which fit into the old timey music format.

This show must have an impressive budget just for the hair pieces. There were a lot of different ones this time, especially for Peele.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Nov 15, 2012 @ 1:56 PM

I had heard before that Baby It's Cold Outside is kinda rapey, but I still love that song. However, I might just picture Key & Peele's skit whenever I hear it again.

I think that was a heavily mustachioed Dean Norris (from Breaking Bad) in the drug deal skit. I always wonder about those scenes when the people receiving the money just accept that it's all there.

In the Middle Eastern skit, I got a chuckle out of Key calling the ankle bone "foot nuts."

Maybe it's because I'm under the weather, but I didn't think this was a very strong ep.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Nov 15, 2012 @ 4:38 PM

My favorite part was Peele doing his impression of Buffalo Bill saying "I'd fuck myself". I didn't find any of the sketches hilarious although they all provided a few chuckles.And for the life of me I don't remember ever hearing "Baby, it's cold outside."

Fisher King

Fisher King

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2012 @ 6:08 PM

I think that was a heavily mustachioed Dean Norris (from Breaking Bad) in the drug deal skit.

I thought that was Dean but I couldn't be sure. Funny skit.

I'm so in agreement that Peele makes a very pretty woman.

Shippaisha

Shippaisha

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 15, 2012 @ 7:24 PM

Not one of their better episodes. It was really back-heavy; the best sketches were the money and BICO.

Admittedly I was not expecting K&P to be right about being short $20 after all that previous incompetence. The guy running in after the fact with the missing bill was fantastic.

I think I remember BICO's rapeyness being banded about when they did it on Glee. But I have to say, Lady!Peele didn't really work for me in this one. I don't think she can pull off such a classic look; I think she works best when she's dressed as Wendy Williams. She looked like a particularly obvious drag queen here. But it was fun to see the woman take down the attempted good-natured rapist, and then have him begging her to leave, only for her to protest that it's cold outside.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Nov 15, 2012 @ 7:37 PM

I'm kind of waiting for the moment in each show where somebody gets shot to death. There is a lot of people getting shot to death. A lot of the skits are funny, but the shooting people to death thing is starting to grate, on a comedy show. It was funny the first 10 times.

The Darius Rucker skit was hilarious to me. I hate that guy, so his ironic crying at the end made me feel bad and laugh at the same time. The S.W.A.T. skit was great because they just abandoned coverage of whatever mission it was they were raiding the house for, and just completely focused on the guys.

The substitute teacher bit had me rolling too. I like that they are willing to go through setting up an entire scene only to have a completely meaningless joke at the end of it.

The skit where Key is laughing at that guy (and gets shot to death at the end) was great because that infectious I'm trying not to laugh laughter is the best. It came across more like he was just falling out of character, but in the end it didn't matter, I was laughing too.

I really have to give them credit for consistently coming up with things that haven't been seen before, situations that are interesting to watch, and skits that aren't dull.

johchi

johchi

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 16, 2012 @ 1:03 PM

And for the life of me I don't remember ever hearing "Baby, it's cold outside."

The Ray Charles/Betty Carter version is the best one, IMHO.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Nov 16, 2012 @ 3:54 PM

The rapeyness is somewhat muted by the fact Frank Loesser wrote it to sing with his wife at their parties (and she was upset that he sold "their song" commercially later).

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

Posted Nov 16, 2012 @ 4:30 PM

And in the movie which introduced it, there's a reprise in which Betty Garrett is asking Red Skelton not to leave. And several of the lyrics are about things like "what will the neighbors think?", indicating that she's worried (within the mores of the time) about appearances, not coercion.

johchi

johchi

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 16, 2012 @ 7:36 PM

And several of the lyrics are about things like "what will the neighbors think?", indicating that she's worried (within the mores of the time) about appearances, not coercion.

The first time I ever heard anyone refer to the song as "rapey" was last year, and I thought, "Are you kidding me?" It's pretty obvious that the woman doesn't actually want to leave; she just thinks that she should. It's a song about seduction. At worst, you could say the man's being manipulative. Coercion and rape? No.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

Posted Nov 16, 2012 @ 9:48 PM

I think this "interpretation" really is just a few years old (spread on the internet), and my impression is that it was first proposed in a "joke among friends" spirit -- hey, if you isolate these few lines from this song we like, you could give them this other spin!" Which is fine, I have fun with that sort of thing too. (And to be fair, I think that's what Key and Peele were doing. Or maybe I just hope so.) Recently I've encountered articles that seem to have taken this idea dead seriously, though.

Edited by Rinaldo, Nov 16, 2012 @ 9:49 PM.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 2:15 PM

The first time I ever heard anyone refer to the song as "rapey" was last year, and I thought, "Are you kidding me?" It's pretty obvious that the woman doesn't actually want to leave; she just thinks that she should.

After reading the lyrics I'd have to disagree. She's clearly trying to leave and after his pleas to get her to stay have failed he provides her with a drink and only then does she want to stay. But even then she explictly tells him, "NO". The song may have been considered cute and quaint back then but it's definitely date rapey IMO.

Here's a link to the lyrics of BICO.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Nov 19, 2012 @ 2:18 PM.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Nov 22, 2012 @ 11:06 AM

I had to look up AV Club to remember last night's show. I kept expecting somebody in the background to pass out during the "farts are names" sketch. Favorite had to be the "Power Falcons," even with the obvious "Black Falcon" jokes. As far as sentai-based spoofs are concerned, I gotta go with "Power Forest Rangers" from Robot Chicken.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Nov 22, 2012 @ 1:14 PM

Fortunately, I have my DVR set to record, because I completely forgot it was on.

I really liked this one. The opening with the baby was hysterical, esp at the end when he had babies strapped all over him. And what a great decision they made to use real babies and not dolls.

The gang members bonding over Twilight was pretty good. I love the lines, "I'm going to blow your personality out the back of your head," and "Twilight's my jam." Unfortunately, SNL did that great video last week of the three guys doing things with guns pointed at each other.

I loved Power Falcons.

I didn't really care for the prison sketch, though I cracked up before when Peele made the comment that after prison "when you fart it goes “Whooo” like a bottle."

I also really enjoyed the traffic cop bit, with Key doing all the magic tricks.

And If Farts Were Names was pretty good. I'm usually not a fart-joke fan, but this was good. I don't know why I'm not following Peele and/or Key on Twitter. I'll have to rectify that.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Nov 22, 2012 @ 6:37 PM

The baby armor was hilarious, but how did that guy avoid getting pinned down and curb-stomped by a mob of angry mothers?

Shippaisha

Shippaisha

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 23, 2012 @ 3:23 AM

During all the football team roll calls today, I found myself disappointed not to hear "Javaris Jamar Javarison-Lamar!"

The gay guys adopting babies sketch from next week has already wormed its way into my brain. "We're gonna feed it. And burp it. And dress it up. Like-a-Pea!Pod!"

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Nov 23, 2012 @ 12:14 PM

During all the football team roll calls today, I found myself disappointed not to hear "Javaris Jamar Javarison-Lamar!"

I thought of that yesterday, too, and tried to tell my brother about it. I can never remember the names, as much as I love that bit.