Key & Peele

• Please log in to reply

482 replies to this topic

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 5:34 AM

Peele, to completely have the Obama impression be more realistic, should use his left hand to write. It really stood out to me in the sketch that he used his right hand to cross things off the list. Obama is a leftie.

megsara

megsara

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

Yup, that was Paul F. Tompkins. Loved that sketch. And a part of me wonder if that would actually work.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 12:31 PM

Jordan's Obama really got me this week. That skit was predictable but I have to admit I recoiled when the one republican cut his own tongue off.

OMG Yes! I thought the camera would cut away before the, uh, cut, so when it happened, I jumped and cried out. At least there wasn't blood.

I also agree that the skit was predictable, but it was still funny because of the acting. The Repubs were so OTT.

My favorite skit was the Magical Negro battle. My favorite moment from that was when Key formed ninja stars out of the paper and threw them at Peele, who caught them in the trash can. I was happy with this skit particularly because I thought it would go in another direction. I thought when Peele first came in and was spouting the typical aphorisms the executive would take his words as profound when they were more in line with something Chance the Gardener would say. Much better the way it turned out.

I didn't particularly like the limo driver skit or the zombie/raccoon one, which was very predictable.

I did like the Pinkett-Smith one.

“House...”
“Oh, it’s like a tiny mansion.”

“Choose….”

I loved when Key and Peele did the bit about saving up a complaint.

"Why’d you leave the toilet seat up?"
"Bitch why was you late last week and I ain’t say NOTHIN'!"

The news report about missing babies was nothing new, but I still think that can't be emphasized enough. It really is appalling how it's only news if white children (or women) go missing.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 1:48 PM

New Vandaveon and Mike. Still just saying add dicks for extra funny. Kind of pointless.

As unfunny as their YouTube stuff is, as a regular viewer of The Walking Dead, the zombie skit from the actual broadcast still cracks me up. It's their expressions and dialogue near the end that just gets me. Jordan's look of disgust is just hilarious. And then Key's going from weepy to straight man is so funny.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 12:47 AM

The show really good tonight. I loved just about every sketch. Especially the one where all the white people keep approaching Key and Peele in the bar trying to bond with them over racism. "It's been a hundred years of not fine." The best part of that sketch is that all they were trying to do was have a conversation about Game of Thrones. I love black nerds.

I love how Keegan kept messing with Jordan the entire episode. I died when Keegan felt out on the floor over Jordan never having seen Roots. Everybody should see Roots. I don't care what race you are.

Edited by Turkish, Mar 7, 2012 @ 12:52 AM.

megsara

megsara

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 9:24 AM

Yeah, I laughed right from start (RACE WAR!!! Flashmob's cancelled...) to finish. And there were fun little cameos in the bar scene - Ryan Hansen, Ken Marino (I think...def one of those Children's Hospital/Party down folk).

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 9:59 AM

Yes, Ryan Hansen and Ken Marino are from Veronica Mars/Party Down/Children's Hospital series.

I made a little squee when I saw them, haha.

Mnemosyne78

Mnemosyne78

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 4:52 PM

I nearly broke something laughing at that last, Ultimate Fighters sketch. Peele's character's slow terror filled realization that Key's character was a crazy person and that he was NOT playing was hilarious. I especially cracked up at Key's commitment to the crazy. He was brilliant! And Peele looked hot. My crush continues.

I love how Keegan kept messing with Jordan the entire episode. I died when Keegan felt out on the floor over Jordan never having seen Roots. Everybody should see Roots. I don't care what race you are.

That was super cute. But I took issue with Juice being on the list of films all black people should have seen. Partly because I have never seen it. But mostly because how can that be on the list and not The Color Purple?!! The hell?!!

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 5:33 PM

That was super cute. But I took issue with Juice being on the list of films all black people should have seen. Partly because I have never seen it. But mostly because how can that be on the list and not The Color Purple?!! The hell?!!

ITA. When he said Juice, I was like "No Color Purple, come on now". I wouldn't even put Juice in a top 10 of black films to watch. The Color Purple, Boyz in the Hood, Do the Right Thing and Malcolm X will always come before Juice.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 6:27 PM

I was expecting Boyz in the Hood, too, but he did say these were one-word movies.

Yes, Ryan Hansen and Ken Marino are from Veronica Mars/Party Down/Children's Hospital series.

And I think the woman was Carla Gallo.

I liked the Flicker skit, but it was kind of predictable. However, the initial concept was good: the stare-down/showdown during a stupid practical joke.

I also like the MMA bit and the bar one. Oh, and the DJ was pretty good, mainly for Peele's characterization. I loved the stupid little rhymes he did:

Wouldn’t wanna be ya.
Onomatopoeia.
Grab a donkey by the toe.
Give em gonorrhea.

I didn't particularly like the BBQ skit with the Kobe beef. That was pointless.

I hate the way the commercial breaks are set up. I watch this later on my DVR, and it's hard to FF past the commercials and catch the show without having to go back. Me thinks they're doing this on purpose.

nicepebbles

nicepebbles

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 10:00 PM

Unless you are Bill Cosby (who avoids race almost completely), comedy without bitterness, venom or pain, is no comedy at all.

This came at the end of the Salon article. I think this this the main point behind the article. To me the author is saying that only Bill Cosby can be funny with his comedy coming from non-darkness. The larger point being if you're black, you have to be all about darkness, which apparently means you need to deal with race all day every day in your comedy. The author is hung up on general that darkness, edginess = funny. I think she needs to expand her horizons.

She talks about black people not having the same experience yet, IMO, goes on to treat K&P as if they should be having the same experience as every other black comedian except Bill Cosby. Or all black comedians except for Bill Cosby need to be doing the same kind of humor.

But “Key & Peele” is less about the complexities of navigating the often tricky multi-racial road, and more about the cheap humor of “White people talk like this,” and “Black people talk like this” — with black characters deciding whether they’ll talk white or black in a given situation. This premise is the basis of nearly every single sketch.

I have to wonder if we are watching the same show. I can only think of one or two sketches where this was the premise.

Its eagerness to avoid offense hangs over every tepid sketch about race, sketches already laboring under excessive gentleness and lack of imagination. In each sketch black people are impeded by their own blackness, or more specifically black men cling to an idea of black masculinity, one that Key and Peele suggest is a needless performance.

This is article is a perfect example of how two people can watch the same thing and come away with two different impressions. I have no idea what she means by "impeded by their own blackness".

Key and Peele never show the reasons behind the performance of whiteness or blackness, and this is why the show is politically problematic and far less funny that it could be.

Does any show do this?

K&P are damned if they do, damned if they don't when it comes to race in their comedy. Someone, somewhere is going to have a problem. I almost feel like she was picking on the show. Again, perhaps I'm giving the guys too much credit. Perhaps I need to rethink my position on catering stuff to the idiots who will not get the point of the joke.

As a 32yo black woman with my life experience, I think the show is very funny and is doing a fine job as far as discussing race.

I loved the Magical Negro Sketch. I was expecting to go one way and it went another. It was funny and I got the point behind it, what is was saying about Hollywood.

The zombie/raccoon one cracked me up. A lot of it had to do with Key's delivery.

Mnemosyne78

Mnemosyne78

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 12:07 PM

I was expecting Boyz in the Hood, too, but he did say these were one-word movies.

Ah, that's right. Although "Wiz" seems a bit of a cheat. lol

Another bit that had me rolling was the whole "racist" is the n-word for white people riff. In light of last night's Survivor it was especially hilarious.

StickyKeys

StickyKeys

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2012 @ 6:25 PM

I think what the article acknowledged but refused to accept was that blacks do have various experiences. I am not biracial but I was born in Nebraska and a lot of the same things apply. When to talk white, how to deal with white people who care too much, when to be a good example for our community, etc. It's a different side of black and they are even more into it because they are half white but mostly relate to the black experience. Of course they are not going to needlessly offend white people, they're literally a part of who they are. It's about exploiting the differences and making light of them instead of allowing them to piss you off.

It's a very fine line.

nicepebbles

nicepebbles

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 9:46 PM

StickyKeys, your post just reminded me of something about that article. The author mentions them being biracial and then proceeds, IMO, to expect them to act as if that side of them doesn't exist.

As far as the most recent episode, favorite part was the UFC promo. Mr. and I were dying. "He know we just talking, right?" Followed by The Flicker. Then the well-meaning white people.

My blackness has been questioned in the past (grew up in the burbs of S Jersey). Because I've seen all those movies my card is safe. Lol! Seriously though, there are probably a lot of younger kids today that haven't seen The Wiz or Roots.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 10:25 PM

Momma don'tcha spank no black boy's bootyyyyyy! 200 years aint nothin chaaaaaaaanged.

SnowDog

SnowDog

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 3:50 AM

As far as the most recent episode, favorite part was the UFC promo. Mr. and I were dying. "He know we just talking, right?"

I completely lost it at "Whatcha mean, you can't find him??"

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 6:12 AM

The UFC promo seriously cracked me hard. I mean, his eyes were really WIDE and then he was CRYING and then he was CHANTING because he wanted to kill the opponent. And then in the end, the promo said, "FIGHT CANCELLED". I just lost it.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 10:36 PM

Tonight's ep was great. I didn't realize the outblack you restaurant scene hadn't been aired yet (it was up on comedy central's website). I LOVED the sound off between Michael Winslow and Bobby McFerrin. So hilarious! They way they ended it was perfect, but I also would have lost it if Al Jarreau made a cameo at the end and told them both to shut up or something.

The puppy one was so creepy and funny. For the restaurant scene, I would have lost at chitlins. Bump that. The smell alone gets me. I remember that smell vividly. Smells like ass cause it is ass.

This show is a keeper, for sure. They have found their groove. It's plainly obvious now too that the show is all about race. It is a race driven show. Multiple skits about race per episode, and lots of talk about black and white. Which is great, they are exploring it, and currently they are doing it responsibly and thoughtfully for the most part.

I loved the skit where Peele kept getting the women. The end was great. So much of what makes the skits great is knowing where to end them. They are doing a masterful job at that in my opinion. Oh, and I got the biggest gut laugh at the magazine in that Peele gets the women skit being called "Blaxim". Hahaha!

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 1:44 PM

Momma don'tcha spank no black boy's bootyyyyyy! 200 years aint nothin chaaaaaaaanged

Thank you, Doom. I laughed so hard at what Peele said but for the life of me I couldn't remember what his words were. All I remember was the premise of the joke and him looking back at his mother with a sad face.

Boyz in the Hood is a must see movie? Back then, yes..nowadays I don't know about that.

There NEEDS to be a Bobby McFerrin vs Michael Winslow movie.

For the restaurant scene, I would have lost at chitlins. Bump that. The smell alone gets me. I remember that smell vividly. Smells like ass cause it is ass

Chitlins is worse than ass. At least an ass gets rid of crap, chitlins keeps it all inside and has to be scraped clean. Chitlins is one of, if not the, top reason I'm happy I'm a vegetarian.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Mar 14, 2012 @ 1:50 PM.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 3:36 PM

That was a great ep. Everything worked, everything was funny.

I had just watched the Soul Food restaurant skit on YouTube after clicking on a link from Parks & Recreation's Mike Schur's tweet that said "Holy balls, this is funny." The one-ups-man-ship was great, right up to actually eating those concoctions. "Dandelion greens, a cow hip, and a dog face. Wrap that whole mess in an old Ebony magazine and serve it to me in a shoebox." "Platter of stork ankles, an old cellar door, a possum spine, and a human foot." Oh, and with gravy.

My second favorite skit was probably the McFerrin vs Winslow one.

Love the skit where Peele keeps appearing at the sides of all the women, esp because it was like a horror movie.

I also liked the two short ones with Peele and his wife, the first one where she pulls a gun on him after he takes a pic of her in bed, and the second where she offers to do anything sexually he wants. "How about we call up your friend Erica?.... AAAAAHHHHHHH!"

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 8:49 AM

Key and Peele Bring Comedy Into the Future

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 10:13 AM

Loved the Bobby McFerrin vs Michael Winslow fight. Not only was it gloriously silly and funny but it reminded me how much I loved him as a kid in those Police Academy movies and Spaceballs. It made me look up some Michael Winslow clips and I found this amazing one of him recently on a Norwegian talk show doing Led Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Love just with mouth noises!

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 10:42 AM

That was great, Limbonaut! Wow.

HoneyBee, good article. Thanks for sharing that.

LiberryLady

LiberryLady

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 4:41 PM

I found this amazing one of him recently on a Norwegian talk show doing Led Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Love just with mouth noises!

Wah? How? Uh..... What did I just see? How the hell did those sound come out of a human being?!?

Despite never seeing a single Police Academy movie, I laughed like a fool at the McFerrin vs Winslow bit. I don't know why, but when he was doing the squeegee sounds as he was mopping off his face, I was dying.

The UFC promo seriously cracked me hard. I mean, his eyes were really WIDE and then he was CRYING and then he was CHANTING because he wanted to kill the opponent. And then in the end, the promo said, "FIGHT CANCELLED". I just lost it.

That bit from last week still has me giggling. The contrast between Keegan practically having a transcendent experience and Jordan's confusion at the crazypants was sooo great.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 8:28 AM

"Goo goo gah gah." Man, that was creeeeepy!

Good finale. I think my favorite bit was Obama teaching Malia to drive and use the ATM. I esp loved the end of the ATM one where after Obama says, “Not exactly what I had in mind," he is whisked away by the Secret Service, leaving Malia behind.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 11:20 AM

"Goo goo gah gah." Man, that was creeeeepy

Yes, it was but also funny. Although to be completely honest I enoyed Peele's "live" five second impression a bit more probably because you could see one eyelid was droopy.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 1:33 PM

Oh yeah, I agree it was funny. I think what made it esp creepy was having Peele's head superimposed on the toddler's body.

Doom

Doom

Stalker

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 8:34 PM

The "I don't get it" gunman was stupid to me at first, but just got funnier. The singing thing was the same way, even though the "that's gay" thing was borderline.

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 7:06 PM

Stupid home internet not working properly for a week.

Anyways, I enjoyed most of this episode. I had thought that the first Obama skit could have gone in a much creepier direction than it did, but it worked better for the followup. That was the week that Malia was in the Mexican earthquake, wasn't it?

I think that my favorite bit was the duo performing for the Jewish families. I was surprised, since I was expecting to cringe hard, but the talking head parts made it great. The performers put their foot in their mouths just as badly as the Jewish parents did. My least favorite one was the apartment hunting skit. It could have been good if the payoff had been set up properly in the beginning, but it just seemed to come out of nowhere.

The "I don't get it" gunman was stupid to me at first, but just got funnier.

I agree.

The singing thing was the same way, even though the "that's gay" thing was borderline.

I took the "gay" comment as a deliberate misdirection, though it was probably not entirely necessary.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 2:18 PM

The performers put their foot in their mouths just as badly as the Jewish parents did

I know I should be upset but everytime I see the mother's talking head, "It's exciting to see black people at a barmitzvah, it's like a scary rollercoaster", I can't help but crack up.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Mar 28, 2012 @ 2:19 PM.