S24: Troy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

147 replies to this topic

Paron Xanthis

Paron Xanthis

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 6:36 PM

Hi. The monkeys I raise are why I'm called "Troyzan."

Babylonia

Babylonia

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 7, 2012 @ 5:10 PM

Hey, it's Troy! Hard to believe he's 50! Sounds like he relates more to animals than people! I find people that end every sentence with an exclamation mark to be super annoying! Annoying!

DragonScribe

DragonScribe

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 2:30 AM

On the memory challenge tonight, between him and Kat -- it looked to me like Troy kept dropping the curtain very fast on her. I think he expected that if they both missed it, they'd be dismissed and the next pair would come up - hence his initial strategy in dropping it so fast that Kat couldn't remember anything (neither could he, but his object was to stop Kat from finishing it).

But instead of one shot and then passing on to the next players, they had to keep going until one of them got it. And once he started the ploy he couldn't stop.

If the challenge had been played so that each team had one shot at the memory sequence, it might have been a good strategy. But having to continue until one of them got it, that changed the usefulness of the ploy.

TDI Ashley

TDI Ashley

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 2:41 AM

Not ready to like him just yet, but he handled himself really well with both sides of Manono tonight. I'll give him that much credit.

As somewhat kooky as he seems, he's at least playing, so I'll watch and see what happens with him down the road.

BK1978

BK1978

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 3:42 AM

He sort of reminds me of Crazy Shane, I am not sure why but for some reason I make that connection.

TDI Ashley

TDI Ashley

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 4:08 AM

It's probably the hair. He wears it the same way Shane did.

MillieLee

MillieLee

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 7:40 AM

At first I thought that his memory challenge strategy was to get one item at a time and confuse the opponent so that she wouldn't know what was going on. I thought it would've been a fun and maybe even a winning strategy... but looking back at it, maybe it was just some sort of macho stupidity. He doesn't annoy me (yet), but I find it hard to like him either.

doctorb

doctorb

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 11:34 AM

"it's not survivor if you're not lying."

Did I get that right? Awesome.

ratgirlagogo

ratgirlagogo

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2012 @ 12:06 PM

It's SO awesome. I could root for him if not for the stupid name.

DragonScribe

DragonScribe

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 1:17 AM

I think Troy needs to tone down his victory crowing a bit. He's getting a little bit too cocky about it being "his island".

He's fortunate in finding that idol, but he could over-play his hand.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 3:11 AM

It's entirely possible that Troy is the best player ever to make it this far in the game and not even have a full page on TWoP.

In one of his extra footage thingies, he says he's been wanting to be on Survivor for 11 years. Hmmm. Is anyone suddenly missing from this board? ;-)

NYC2007

NYC2007

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 10:51 AM

I loved his 'Jeff Probst just touched me' line. I wanted to tell him to go wash, but that's just me.

He was pretty impressive in the immunity challenge.

absolutqt

absolutqt

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 11:33 AM

I'm really digging this guy. The mere fact that he could keep his composure when Jeff crows, "Troyzan's balls haven't moved!" (or soemthing to that effect) scores points in my book. And there's something very handsome about him.

Special Kay

Special Kay

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 2:31 PM

Check out his photography

http://www.troyrobertson.com/home.html

This guy's the real deal, and hardly just a "swimsuit" photographer.

TDWT Kristen

TDWT Kristen

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 3:43 PM

absolutqt
I'm really digging this guy.

I'm not. Not until he stops that stupid "This is my island!" BS.

DragonScribe

DragonScribe

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 4:54 PM

He has crowed a bit too much, and he is a bit too secure in what he thinks his position in the game is. But although I dislike his tinges of chauvinism (especially early on, claiming the women were nuts for what was flatly strategic game thinking), I don't dislike him. There've been other players I disliked more (such as Colton, who was so sure he was running the total game before they even got near a merge).

But I was amused in this last episode that when Kim told him that Mike was talking against him, Troy totally bought it. He doesn't seem to have checked with Jay to make sure that was so. He simply believed in the new alliance - so why would Kim lie to him?

Makes me wonder if protein deprivation wasn't getting to him.

He did seem a bit shocked at the way the voting went down - especially when there weren't any votes for him at all (wouldn't he have expected Mike to vote against him, if what Kim said was true?).

I'm wondering if he can wake up that Kim is playing a different alliance strength. If he decides to move against her, it could be interesting. But I don't know if he's quite got the insight into the dynamics to pull it off.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 2:19 AM

DragonScribe, did they read all the votes aloud, so that he would know Mike hadn't voted against him? I honestly don't remember. Your point does make me wonder why Kim didn't have C&A vote for Troy, for that very reason.

But at least Mike got voted out before Troy could verify Kim's story. ;-)

Special Kay, thanks for posting a link to his photography. You're right. He is the real deal. And according to his bio, he's self-taught. I bet he's Jonesing for a camera.

It will be interesting to see him clean-shaven.

SpeciousLogic

SpeciousLogic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 8:10 AM

He did seem a bit shocked at the way the voting went down - especially when there weren't any votes for him at all (wouldn't he have expected Mike to vote against him, if what Kim said was true?).

Not necessarily. I thought Kim said something to the effect of "Mike is gunning for you", not "Mike is writing your name down tonight." You can be plotting against someone without voting for them at the very next TC. For all Troy knows, Mike was just biding his time until he had the numbers.

xr11576

xr11576

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 1:48 AM

Although I see little possibility of Troyzan winning this game, I think he has been very successful as a Survivor superfan (in the pregame stuff, he's seen every episode, has sent in applications to the show like 11 years in a row, etc.).

He's now officially as of this episode done enough to set himself up as a 'character' to be invited to a future allstar season, or as a returning player ala Coach Wade.

He has a memorable nickname, has established a well defined story arc for himself, will be seen as a fighter even if he does end up losing, is generally memorable, etc.

Given the lack of memorable characters in recent seasons aside from Phillip (Brenda? Cochran? Marty? Nephew Hantz?), Troyzan is now up there. He's arguably this season's most prominent figure (obviously Kim is the best player, but she's stealth).

He could do well in a future season too because he's not really being edited as a deceiving villain, and would probably make the merge because he's good at challenges/in camp; then post merge, he's probably not taken seriously enough to really be in a panic to eliminate.

Phillip and Troyzan, both man-childs, on opposing tribes seeking redemption from the 'mean girls' who taunted them, could be a season.

I also get the sense Troyzan will be very popular at charity events and overall cling to Survivor 'fame'. He's really into this show.

Then again, this thread is only 2 pages, so perhaps that is some indication people are just not that interested in this guy. He's definitely a tool, but I always like when superfans go far in the game. I wanted Cochran to do better for the same reason.

Edited by xr11576, Apr 19, 2012 @ 1:50 AM.

Murdock8

Murdock8

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 3:54 AM

I root for him I don't like the cockiness of the girls ... but its also his fault ... had he gone with Matt instead of Colton this would have never happened (I mean why is Tatzan voting the way he is - he can't win, and Christina? WTF?)

Matt was one of the most inteligent guys out there (that's why going with all misfits alliance is wrong move - look at Vanuatu - yes Chris won but it wasn't smooth ride and he had a lot of luck - Eliza is no dummy as Alicia is :D plus she looks ten times better :D)

SpeciousLogic

SpeciousLogic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:01 AM

Prior to tonight, I would have been fine with Troy going far or even winning, due to his general game-awareness and (mostly) rational thoughts.

But his ridiculous tirade against women, combined with his OTT in-your-face responses at the IC, put me firmly in the anti-Troy camp. Often people's true colors come through when they know they're under the gun (he didn't know it until Jay was voted out), and his response was not a pretty one.

Matt was one of the most inteligent guys out there (that's why going with all misfits alliance is wrong move

Are you suggesting that he should have positioned himself as the only old guy on the young-alpha-male "rooster" group? A clear 5th of 5 in the alliance? That really would have been a dumb move. His dumbest move wasn't aligning with the misfits, it was going along with the unforced TC to vote out Bill.

Edited by SpeciousLogic, Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:03 AM.

CM52

CM52

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 2:46 PM

Are you suggesting that he should have positioned himself as the only old guy on the young-alpha-male "rooster" group? A clear 5th of 5 in the alliance? That really would have been a dumb move. His dumbest move wasn't aligning with the misfits, it was going along with the unforced TC to vote out Bill.

I don't think he's a clear 5th. Jay obviously preferred to work with him over Mike, for one. We don't know how the dynamics amongst the rest of them would have turned out.

xr11576

xr11576

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 3:04 PM

Going with a misfits alliance has never worked in the history of this show, often as it's been attempted (I don't think). I don't consider Sarge and Chad misfits in Vanuatu (moreso, alpha males who happened to be old/missing a leg).

The general reason is, no one wants to be the loser like they were in highschool (even in a majority); so someone from the cool kids club in another faction, even if that faction is like three people, will always be able to make one of the losers 'flip' with the lure and salvation of joining the honorary cool kids club.

I think this is kind of why Tarzan has stuck with the girls the past few weeks at the detriment to his survival in the game. They make him feel special for being included in the group. Maybe that's why he started cross dressing.

Troyzan definitely should have rolled with the rooster alliance; there was enough friction between Bill/Jay/Mike/other more arrogant Mike looking guy for him to not have been 5th when it all shook down at the end.

SpeciousLogic

SpeciousLogic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 7:27 PM

I don't think he's a clear 5th. Jay obviously preferred to work with him over Mike, for one. We don't know how the dynamics amongst the rest of them would have turned out.

I stand corrected; we certainly can never know what would have happened. I think he was the apparent/obvious 5th in that alliance, but reality doesn't always match the "obvious".

But clearly he had issues with Mike from the beginning, and I don't know how much respect he had for Matt, either. The "misfits" alliance may very well have been a better fit for him after all. We can't state that it obviously wasn't simply based on where the game currently stands, since things like the unneeded TC and Colton's medevac very likely had a more direct effect on his current situation (if neither of those things happen, there's a very reasonable chance he's sitting pretty right now; would we then be arguing that he clearly made the right choice by going with the misfits?)

DragonScribe

DragonScribe

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:36 PM

Troy isn't very self-aware, and that's his biggest problem. He's not bad about the basics of the strategy side, but he's terrible about selling the matter. In trying to get the "outside four" to work with him, all he did was say "You could do better than be fifth to the Girls' Clique." No "I'll take you to the final three with me." Nothing like that.

And then he gets all self-righteous and angry that the other people are actually trying to win themselves. Although he can't even put it that way! It's all about HIM. It's "Everybody hates me!" "Everybody's afraid of me!"

No. Everybody recognizes that you are something of an immunity threat, but not (as Chelsea pointed out) unbeatable. But they also realize that you're making yourself unlikeable, Troy.

Heh.

Yeah, he's not thinking about the social side and the jury vote elements at all. If he got to the end, he'd bardge up there, brag about beating them all physically, and he's the only one that deserved to be there. It's possible he'd get Jay's vote (Jay considered him like a big brother), but beyond that? Not so sure.

Even if he gets to Final, I don't see how he can win. He's antagonized the rest of his jury pool with his behavior in this last episode.

Yogurt Baron

Yogurt Baron

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 1:54 AM

He's antagonized the rest of his jury pool with his behavior in this last episode.

It's a long game. I agree with you that he has antagonized the women...but they seemed to like him for the first 20+ days. Him pissing them off for a few days around the F8-F10 stage of the game isn't a good thing for him, but it doesn't singlehandedly prove that they'll end up voting against him. Many Survivor players have exchanged angry words or led to one another being kicked out of the game and have gone on to vote for one another. Terry voted for Aras. Eliza voted for Chris. Danielle voted for Parvati. I could go on.

For somebody outgunned basically 8-1, by people who had promised to work with him, Troy's behaviour hasn't been that bad, and if you're Christina and Alicia and you have a week to sit at Ponderosa thinking, "Jeez, he was right - we were on the bottom!", he'll look pretty good.

If Troy wins every remaining IC, if the two sitting up there with him manage to piss one another off in the alliance-breaking-down process, and if the leading woman has a bad FTC, he wins. Next to Kim, I think he has the clearest path to victory.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 2:03 AM

I feel like Troy is The Guy who has taken the SAT prep tests many many times (what, like 23 times?), so he believes he is so well prepared he will score a perfect 2400. He's memorized all the crib notes and has the "test" down pat.

Only he shows up to take the test, and instead of critical reading or math, they have German translation and musical composition.

Instead of recognizing that *everyone* is equally disadvantaged by the unexpected new rules, he gets bent out of shape. However, once he feels like he is getting the hang of it ["his" nuSalani alliance gels], he starts to get complacent, if not a bit arrogant.

Then the SAT test-givers change the test - for everyone - one more time, and suddenly he's in the room alone while everyone else is handing in their papers and leaving for lunch. And he goes ballistic.

It's not a perfect analogy, but basically I'm trying to say that Troy probably was the best prepared player for Old Survivor. Only One World is not Old Survivor. The women may start out being "stupid" (which probably suited him ju-ust fine!), but they quickly get the hang of the game.

And they outwit and outplay him time and again. Meanwhile he's still pouting and throwing his temper tantrums, because it's not Old Survivor.

Poor pitiful Troy. My heart bleeds ice water.

ETA: Bottom line is that Troy thought he was in control - he honestly believed that he and Kim were running the game. And his ego has taken a huge hit. That's what we're seeing. And that is not good gameplay.

Edited by FrogsRule, Apr 20, 2012 @ 2:05 AM.

yoshi

yoshi

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 2:31 PM

And they outwit and outplay him time and again. Meanwhile he's still pouting and throwing his temper tantrums, because it's not Old Survivor.

You do whatever it takes to survive in the game. He can get in their heads by going off. He can force them to react instead of maintaining control, e.g. Sabrina, by going off.

Or he could just sit back and take it like a man, quietly off on his way to the jury like Jonas.

enlightenedbum

enlightenedbum

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 3:15 PM

That's not the point the girls were making. The girls were making the "don't be a raging asshole" point, not the "don't try to stay in the game point." Jonas tried to stay in but he wasn't a jackass to everyone when he realized he had lost. Troy was.

PreTense

PreTense

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 3:25 PM

I wouldn't say that Jonas just sat back and went off quietly to jury. He didn't rant and rave like Troy but that doesn't mean he meekly accepted his fate. He tried to turn the tribe against Mike but he failed. He failed miserably but he did try. Unlike Christina who acts like the outcome is already written in stone and there's nothing she can do to change it. She's so maddening. For Pete's sake, show some backbone and defend yourself! It's like she's standing in line at a deli and patiently waiting for "Number 6" to be called. Grrrr...it's gotten so I prefer Alicia to her and Alicia is the spawn of Satan.

Edited because it changed all my spaces to " "

Edited by PreTense, Apr 21, 2012 @ 3:28 PM.