S24: Sabrina

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

61 replies to this topic

TDWT Kristen

TDWT Kristen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 1:48 PM

Hasn't done anything? I think she's done plenty. Just because Kim's the no-longer-subtle leader of the alliance doesn't mean the individual members haven't done anything. She's been in on successfully snowing the other men just as much as Chelsea, Kat, Alicia, and Christina have been. That's doing something, not nothing.

Yogurt Baron

Yogurt Baron

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 9:35 PM

She's been in on successfully snowing the other men just as much as Chelsea, Kat, Alicia, and Christina have been. That's doing something, not nothing.

Except for the period between the tribe swap and the merge, when Kim and Chelsea made a side deal with the men and Sabrina had no idea it was going on (if that had just been an attempt to "snow" the men, and not a genuine Plan B, surely they'd have at least told Sabrina they were doing it). Sabrina lost me there, and then lost me even worse last night, when she seemed to go out of her way to lose Troy's jury vote. I think she's likable, but no strategist at all, or else she'd have a)., gotten in on the Kim-Chelsea-Troy-Jay alliance; b)., made her own side deal. As it is, she's still in the game because Kim has decided to keep her there.

TDWT Kristen

TDWT Kristen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:39 PM

a)., gotten in on the Kim-Chelsea-Troy-Jay alliance

Per Insiders, she did. An interview with Troyzan in one of the earlier post-merge weeks revealed that it was the five of them together, with Kat and Michael on the outside.

Yogurt Baron

Yogurt Baron

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:35 PM

The editing is really unfair to Sabrina, then! I base my criticism of Sabrina (and I don't hate her, I just think she's a typical bottom-of-the-alliance fifth-or-sixth-place player) not just on her being on the outside of that alliance, but on her gleeful, "The women are still on top!" confessional after the editing told us she was on the outside. If what she meant by that was, "We now have two competing alliances, but I think we're better off sticking with the women"---if she came to that decision before Kim---then she's a much better player than the editing shows us.

fashionista79

fashionista79

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 4:42 AM

In that regard (the nuSalani plan), the editing wasn't kind to Sabrina. It wasn't until Jay's boot episode that I realized that she was part of that new deal based on something that Jay said in passing while talking to one of the other players (Kim or Troy maybe). I'm sorry that's kind of vague, but I don't remember the exact conversation. However, I do remember thinking, OK so she's in.

Honestly, I think her biggest misstep so far is the back and forth she engaged in with Troy. If she makes it to F3 that could be her downfall. She made some comment about truth and there was a quick edit of Jay rolling her eyes. She's going to let Troy unravel her? Especially in front of the jury? That's ridiculous.

On the plus side, I'm so very envious of her hair!

TDWT Kristen

TDWT Kristen

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 2:53 PM

I was impressed by her pretending to listen to Troyzan while really trying to suss out any possible defectors last night. But then, she had me worried when she outright told Christina the plan. But at least she realized it was a mistake in an Insider, so it's all good.

I know many think she should unseat Kim, but why bother if she truly believes she's in the F3 with her? We suspect she's not, and an Insider from Chelsea has just proven she's not, but Sabrina herself does not know that. I have no doubt in my mind she'd make a move if she suspected she wasn't in Kim and Chelsea's F3. So I'm fine with her not taking any action right now since she doesn't know.

Surprised to see her be the answer to the question of who does the least for the tribe, though. I really thought she did a fair bit of work.

Yogurt Baron

Yogurt Baron

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 3:13 PM

But then, she had me worried when she outright told Christina the plan.

It's good that she recognized what a bad move this was, but I thought it was exceptionally stupid. Between that and her fighting with Troy in the episode before, I'm starting to think she'd be a great F3 opponent for Kim. If Kim takes Sabrina and Chelsea, she'll get credit for sticking with her alliance and not taking goats, and also win 9-0-0.

fashionista79

fashionista79

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 8:39 PM

Well, I was starting to worry about Sabrina after that argument with Troy at TC and then learning that the group thinks that she does the least around camp. However, after tonight's episode, I was glad to see that her vote out wouldn't be an easy sell, and that Kim recognizes her as a threat. Plus, I think it was smart of Sabrina to say, Look, if you vote me out, I could very well be an emotional (read: bitter) juror.

Edited by fashionista79, May 2, 2012 @ 9:32 PM.

TDWT Kristen

TDWT Kristen

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 8:48 PM

Agreed. This was a great episode for Sabrina. The smile on her face when Kat basically buried herself at Tribal Council gave me some hope that she was as good as safe this week.

I just hope she starts winning some challenges soon, because she can't fend off the target forever.

enlightenedbum

enlightenedbum

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 8:50 PM

Look, if you vote me out, I could very well be an emotional (read: bitter) juror.

Basically the first real shot anyone's fired across Kim's bow in the whole game.

musica

musica

Fanatic

• Interests:I am musica, and my BIRTHDAY is every day! (I don't know how to write that in the proper space.) My age... I am not young, but I'm a not old. <br /><br />I joined because I love So You Think You Can Dance. I was told about this site--that it was very strict. I'm afraid of the other sites because there is very little authority. The Fox board seems very out of control!<br /><br />I also love music, too. I love Bebel Gilberto and Vanessa Paradis.<br /><br />My favorite tennis player is Rafa Nadal.

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 9:04 PM

Basically the first real shot anyone's fired across Kim's bow in the whole game

Yes, I loved Sabrina saying, "Don't you blindside me b**tch." Yes, a thing of beauty.

Edited by musica, May 3, 2012 @ 7:03 AM.

yoshi

yoshi

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:40 PM

So Sabrina basically said that as a juror she intends to be an angry black woman? Yikes!

TDWT Kristen

TDWT Kristen

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 11:40 PM

Yikes, indeed. But it worked if it got them to keep her around.

fashionista79

fashionista79

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 4:51 AM

I don't know if it's fair to say that she said that. She said she could turn out to be an emotional juror, as in withholding her vote from an ally if she's voted out before the final tribal council. I didn't interpret that as Sabrina saying she'd be the angry black woman.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 4:53 AM

From watching this week's Ponderosa, Kim is absolutely correct in worrying about taking Sabrina to F3. Sabrina has the votes.

musica

musica

Fanatic

• Interests:I am musica, and my BIRTHDAY is every day! (I don't know how to write that in the proper space.) My age... I am not young, but I'm a not old. <br /><br />I joined because I love So You Think You Can Dance. I was told about this site--that it was very strict. I'm afraid of the other sites because there is very little authority. The Fox board seems very out of control!<br /><br />I also love music, too. I love Bebel Gilberto and Vanessa Paradis.<br /><br />My favorite tennis player is Rafa Nadal.

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 7:10 AM

To me, I do not think so much Sabrina is angry, actually. It is just like Kat now is angry at Kim and Alicia, for example. This is the reality of game with blindsides: the person who goes is not happy usually. And nobody likes to be made out the fool. So to me, blindside can be very risky on a lot of levels.

The thing is sure blindsides make show interesting, but at the same time, those perceived "in-control" risk alienating a jury member who might turn others against him/her--this is not to say Alicia is in control. It's just that Kat chose Alicia as one of the people to take with her, so she perceive her maybe a goat,too, or one of the final 3.

Funny how Sabrina is not seen as the bad guy even though she is the one who really wanted Kat out of the game.

Edited by musica, May 3, 2012 @ 7:42 AM.

SpeciousLogic

SpeciousLogic

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:19 PM

I would love to see both Sabrina and Kim in the F3 and see how they work the jury. But not so much if the Ponderosa vids are showing bittercakes jurors (I haven't watched those vids, so I'm just going by others' posts).

peachmangosteen

peachmangosteen

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:01 PM

I would love to see both Sabrina and Kim in the F3 and see how they work the jury.

I actually would love to see this, too. Even though I don't want Sabrina to win and am very much rooting for Kim, I just think them both in the finals would be interesting to watch. I find Sabrina a bit overrated, but she is definitely the second best player after Kim, IMO, and the only one capable of beating Kim. It would be a treat to see how they'd approach the jury and how the jury would respond. It could potentially be a very exciting FTC.

Edited by peachmangosteen, May 3, 2012 @ 1:02 PM.

earlfor1

earlfor1

Channel Surfer

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 8:02 PM

I have finally watched all of the episodes for the season. I watched the episodes in order with no breaks in between. While each episodes tell which player is going home and why, the season seems to tell a story that I didn't notice before. Sabrina might be the person who wins the season. She was the chosen leader of the Salani tribe and the girls rallied behind her. This gave the girls momentum and the girls began winning. She was the only person who has been behind an all girls finals from the beginning. Kim wanted to keep her options open, while Sabrina stuck with the girls (per editing). She was the only one to comment on Monica's elimination stating that she will continue to make it girls against boys.

While it has been shown that Kim has been calling all of the shots, Sabrina has been presented well enough to justify her winning. When Kat was freaking out about episode 2 immunity challenge lost, it was Sabrina who explained to her that it is about strategy not emotions (this was subtitled). She was the one who calmed Alicia down when Kat didn't want to be her partner and Alicia went nuts. She explained why she (Alicia) needed to keep a clear head and be rational. Alicia (along with Chelsea) cost them the IC lost that episode, but they never went to tribal council because Colton gave it up. She was always shown holding the women together. Sabrna went to the background as Kim emerged, but she was always present. Her biggest doubt came when she argued with Troy during Tribal Council. Two episodes ago, she rationally told Kat not to get emotional about Kim not picking her for reward and that Kim needed her to stay behind to make sure nobody flips. She was rational at the tribal council when she appeared to be in danger, and everyone has admitted that she is a threat.

Last year, Coach was front and center making all of the moves, but Sophie was always present even though she was in the background. Sabrina's edit really reminds me of Sophie's edit. Other than Redemtion Island, the winner has not been edited as the biggest character or player of their season. This is why I think Sabrina has a great shot of winning.

Jyn

Jyn

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 9:34 PM

Wow. I didn't even think of all of that. Good observations, earlfor1. I still want Kim to win the most, but I really think Sabrina has a great case to win, too, based on all you said.

enlightenedbum

enlightenedbum

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 12:23 AM

Sophie's said Kim's getting the edit she thinks she should have gotten, which is amusing in this context.

kikaha

kikaha

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 3:27 AM

Sophie's said Kim's getting the edit she thinks she should have gotten, which is amusing in this context.

"Bizarre" is the word I would have used, instead of "amusing." Sophie always came across to me as self-centered and aggrandizing. The few things I've read of her since the season ended only reinforce that.

Even so, I think I would have voted for her as Sole Survivor, based on what I saw on the screen.

earlfor1

earlfor1

Channel Surfer

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 9:01 AM

I think this is the point. Had Sophie not won, she would have gotten Kim's Edit. Based on the secret scenes at CBS, Sabrina could have been edited like Kim. I said the same thing last year after seeing Sophie's secret scenes. This is more reason to think that Sabrina actually has an edge over Kim. Other than Rob M., CBS does not make their winners very obvious. Even Sandra had better secret scenes in HvV, but they gave many of the strategic credit to Parvati and Russel. It's like they want their winners to be a surprise. Following this pattern, I have to give the edge to Sabrina.

Yogurt Baron

Yogurt Baron

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 10:29 AM

Moved my response to the non-Sabrina parts of the last post over to Editing.

I don't know how much of this is just me not liking Sabrina, but I really don't see her winning, based on the edit. They're still giving her the "semi-likable, completely socially unaware" edit. For example, in the Tarzan boot episode, her cheering Kim on as Kim engineered the Tarzan boot with Alicia. Like, hello? Last week, Kim was trying to boot you. Might you want to...do something about that, rather than sitting around with the rest of us being all, "Yeah, that Kim, isn't she the best?" Like, say, boot Kim? This is at least the second time Sabrina has been shown to be complacent while Kim calls the shots.

If Sabrina were to win, it'd be a clear instance of a background alliance member supplanting the face of the alliance/mastermind. When has that happened before? I'd argue there are only two instances: Sophie and Jenna. And in both of those cases, the editing clearly showed the "leader" overplaying his hand and the eventual winner plotting to outsmart him. Like when Cesternino flipped over to align with Jenna, Heidi, and Alex, the editing was very clear: he thought that was a smart move because he could control them, but actually, he was a distant fourth out of that four. This discrepancy made him look bad and Jenna look good. I cannot think of a single time editing has deliberately made Sabrina look better than Kim.

earlfor1

earlfor1

Channel Surfer

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 2:13 PM

I really want Kim to win, also, but I pay attention to the edit of shows (I am a TV producer on maternity bed rest, so I have time on my hands). During the second episode when the Salani tribe went to tribal council, Sabrina was the chosen leader. Probst asked Kim what she brought to the tribe, she said that she was a great communicator, but she hadn't found her voice yet. She didn't want to commit to an all girl alliance and wanted to keep her options open. Sabrina, on the other hand, wanted all the girls to vote out all of the men so it would be an all girls finale. The night when Nina was booted, Kim and Chelsea talked about the possibilit of keeping Nina and booting Kim, while Sabrina (shown not happy with Kat) said keeping her was about "strategy". During the merge episode, she was the only one to comment on the all girls alliance and finales. When NuSalani was established, it was Kim and Chelsea who was shown making deals with Jay and Troy, when in fact Sabrina was part of that deal (secret scenes). Why did they not show it? Because, in my opinion, they wanted to show Sabrina getting her way. How will they present her as a winner? She led her tribe to come back from behind (she was given credit in the beginning and was nominated for player of the week because of this), she stayed the course in wanting an all female finale from the beginning. She was spared from her deception with Troy and Jay even though she, Kim and Chelsea were part of this alliance.

She even made a comment about important it is to be honest with people when voting them out when she told Christina that she was writing her name down even though she wasn't going home. We thought it wasn't smart of her, but this could of been her jury connection with Christina and why she may vote for Sabrina to win in the end. She has only blindsided one person (Kat), but Kat wanted to blindside her. Sabrina may be the one person she votes her in the end because she didn't betray her. Sabrina was the only one given credit for the Kat blindside during the last episode's recap when in actuality it was shown to be Chelsea and Alicia. Was it really Sabrina engineering it but they couldn't show it because there would be no suspense at that tribal council? This was the one time that Kim didn't get her way. After this episode, Sabrina has gotten her way of all female finale. Sabrina and Kim had always agreed upon the boot, so it was okay for her to let Kim take the lead. But the one time they had different boot targets, Sabrina got her way. It is also telling that Kim wanted to blindside Sabrina, but Sabrina had enough of an influence that people didn't want her gone. (secret scenes suggest that she wasn't even close to being booted). If Sabrina is in the F3, I think she wins. If Kim votes her out tonight, then Kim wins. If Kim is the strategist I think she is, then she will vote her out. If she keeps her, then she is not the strategist that I think she is and she would have pulled a Colby Donaldson. Kim really needs to take Alicia and Christina to ensure her win.

I hope I am wrong and Kim indeed wins based on what is shown, but because of my background, I pay a lot of attention to subtle details. Sabrina has made enough jury connections to be a F3 member. I made the same agument last year when Sophie won. My only argument then was that she didn't have any jury connections to be facing the jury, but she made it the night when she cried in front of the jury and I had no doubt that she won. Albert and Coach were afraid of her facing the jury the same way Kim is afraid of Sabrina. All of my friends kept saying that Coach would win because he is running the show and I pointed out all of the details that show otherwise. Maybe this time, the editors want to give the winner the credit they deserve instead of the suspense winner route they always go.

Jyn

Jyn

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 2:37 PM

I'm definitely rooting wholeheartedly for Kim to win this, but Sabrina is easily my second choice, so if the vote were to come down to the two of them, I'd be very happy. Kim probably deserves to win the most, but everything earlfor1 has said for Sabrina would definitely present a good case for her to take the game, too, and be satisfying enough.

And congratulations on the newborn, earlfor1! Hope he or she is very healthy!

earlfor1

earlfor1

Channel Surfer

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 4:03 PM

Thanks, Jyn. I actually will deliver on May 28. I am still on bed rest and I am expecting a girl. Back to Sabrina, I think she has a good chance of winning. I am going to root for both Kim and Sabrina. May the best woman win.

fashionista79

fashionista79

Stalker

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 4:32 PM

Last week, Kim was trying to boot you. Might you want to...do something about that, rather than sitting around with the rest of us being all, "Yeah, that Kim, isn't she the best?" Like, say, boot Kim? This is at least the second time Sabrina has been shown to be complacent while Kim calls the shots.

The fact that Sabrina didn't go home and only received one vote in Kat says to me that Sabrina has a bit more influence in that tribe than has been shown. She didn't look nervous in the least in Kat's boot episode, and I wouldn't call that complacency. Sabrina doesn't have to run around scrambling, especially if she is aware that her neck actually isn't on the chopping block. Kim is aware of the threat that Sabrina poses to her win, but that hasn't stopped her from aligning with Sabrina. And Sabrina is smart; she's read Kim well, knows exactly what Kim does, and I believe that Sabrina has purposely let Kim be the heavy who says to a player, "Oh, don't worry at all. You're safe!" even though she knows for certain that the player is going.

Meanwhile, it seems that Sabrina has cultivated relationships with people, and it looks like she can, even if that player annoys her (e.g., Tarzan and Christina), turn right around and play to their emotions to get them on her side (the family visit and her reactions to Tarzan and Christina not being chosen). I think that's quite smart.

On another note, seeing how Sabrina, who was in the lead at the last RC, just dropped out adds another to her list of being smart. These RCs have invariably ended up with the winner having to choose two people to go, and something tells me that she knew better than to win. Winning causes hurt feelings.

So my first choice for winning is Sabrina, but if it doesn't happen that way, then Kim should win. That--Sabrina winning or Kim winning--is the only end I can be satisfied with this season.

Edited by fashionista79, May 13, 2012 @ 4:34 PM.

Jyn

Jyn

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 5:23 PM

So my first choice for winning is Sabrina, but if it doesn't happen that way, then Kim should win. That--Sabrina winning or Kim winning--is the only end I can be satisfied with this season.

I can be moderately satisfied with Chelsea, too, actually. She's definitely below Sabrina and Kim in my personal estimation, but she's managed to win the challenges when it's mattered, so that's a point in her favor. And she seems to have a good social game. Though Kim and Sabrina easily outmatch her on that front.

Alicia and Christina, though? No. Just . . . no.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 1:59 AM

To answer one question upthread (saw this in a Sabrina interview): She teaches English and Earth Science, not P.E. She didn't say whether she was substitute teaching or if she had gotten another teaching position, but she said that her kids were thrilled to see her in that environment, that for a little while, it got them outside their four square city blocks.

Aww. I like this young woman.