S24: Christina

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

104 replies to this topic

CM52

CM52

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:47 PM

A year younger than Kim, five years younger than Sabrina, older than Alicia, Kat, and Chelsea. The only one left in the game who can claim to be significantly older and wiser than Christina is Tarzan.

I looked it up and still can't believe Sabrina is 33 and Alicia is 25. Those two have not aged well.

Yogurt Baron

Yogurt Baron

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:50 PM

From the episode thread:

I don't recall (Christina) doing anything objectionable

Not "objectionable" in a Colton sense, but just something about her has irritated me from day one, and that was underscored a million times over last night. Sabrina: "We're splitting the vote so that if Troy has an idol, you go home." Christina: *stands there like an idiot*. In objective, practical terms, people aren't going to like or respect someone like that. Kim even said, basically, that Christina would be an easier target for the split than Tarzan because Christina wasn't with it enough to notice.

But subjectively...it's not the literal fact that she just stands there and takes it. It's the sense that she's slightly removed, that she doesn't seem connected with what's going on around her. In a game that's all about social bonds, someone who's a vile cretin 99% of the time and who's just one of the girls the other 1% (Alicia) is going to be a million miles ahead of someone who's just...not there.

I do wonder if some of this is racism, possibly in the casting. Thailand Shii Ann, Fiji Sylvia, Samoa Liz, and last season's Edna all had similar issues with "connecting", though not to the same degree as Christina. I've never known an Asian woman in real life with this issue, but on Survivor? All of them, except maybe Peih Gee. Remember the time Shii Ann tried to talk through with Brian and Ted about her issues with her tribe, and they listened sympathetically and then were all, "Okay, now let's get down to business, why don't you flip?", and she just kept droning on and on and on about how much she hated her old tribe? Or the time Sylvia thought that being an architect made her special and that Rocky would understand the word "askew"? I have no idea why the show is so enamoured with the socially-awkward-Asian-woman-who-doesn't-quite-fit-in stereotype.

SpeciousLogic

SpeciousLogic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 10:07 PM

I do wonder if some of this is racism, possibly in the casting. Thailand Shii Ann, Fiji Sylvia, Samoa Liz, and last season's Edna all had similar issues with "connecting", though not to the same degree as Christina. I've never known an Asian woman in real life with this issue, but on Survivor? All of them, except maybe Peih Gee.

I think you're missing a few, in addition to Peih-Gee, such as Becky in S13 and Michelle in S14 (who was delightful and seemed to be extremely well-liked). But I agree with your larger point that the individuals Survivor casts can hardly be considered representative of whatever demographic they belong to. {I never really understand the sentiment that "So and so is representing [Demographic X] well/poorly -- IMO, they are representing no one but themselves. I certainly have never let any contestant on Survivor "represent" me.)

Maybe casting picked up on some "off" vibe in Christina that clued them in that she would be polarizing in some way. They do tend to do that, not just for Asian-Americans but just about everyone. I do wish they'd give us a real taste of what's going on with her, though. She's been little more than corkboard so far.

OneGeek

OneGeek

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 2:38 AM

I do wish they'd give us a real taste of what's going on with her, though. She's been little more than corkboard so far.

Maybe...that's all there is to her. She seems to be keeping her strategy so close to the vest that she only consults with herself.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 3:11 AM

Yogurt Baron, that's why I tacked on "seemingly inexperienced" in my post. :-) She *is* young, as are Kat and some of the others. (And word, CM52 - especially Alicia looks hard, decades older than she really is.)

I know plenty of 20somethings who are responsible, smart, quick on their feet, and ambitious. Christina seems to be none of those things. It's like she has no experience with other people IRL, as if she's lived such a sheltered life that she doesn't know how to connect.

But I remain most baffled by her "Plan A, Plan B, Plan C" assertion.

Unconditional

Unconditional

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 9:18 AM

I think her actual plan has been the same thing all along: wait for the dominant alliance to get down to as few people as possible, and then scoop up who is left and make the move then. That obviously is going to be at F7, and if she does it any earlier she's going to get blown away. She was never given a chance to work into an alliance, both on og-Salani and nu-Manano. Alicia has always been there to spew vitriol to keep her separated from the rest of the tribe and unfortunately it's worked. The logical thing to do is hope that you can get to F7, and the dominant alliance is sloppy with how they establish which 3 of them are going to the FTC, and then she takes the other three people and flips the game on them.

The problem is that Kim has been so convincing and both Tarzan and Kat have stuck around up to this point because being a threat in her eyes has sent you home immediately or 3 days after that. Christina will have to start with Kat and stoke her feelings of inadequacy and then approach either Sabrina or Alicia, whichever one is really on the outside, and then make the final plea to Tarzan that this is his only chance to see the FTC.

It's likely that both Alicia and Sabrina (and even Tarzan) will laugh in her face, but at that point that's on them because they're throwing away a legitimate opportunity to go further in the game simply because they would rather not like her than work with her and place higher.

InsomniaQueen

InsomniaQueen

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 2:20 PM

My take on Christina's supposed unlikeability is that she acts on ideas without telling people who are affected by her actions what she's thinking. For instance, in the first episode, she struck a deal with the men that the women would weave palm fronds or whatever for them without having gotten the rest of her tribe's approval for this. It wasn't a bad idea to strike a deal, but you can't go promising other people's labor without their permission. This is what initially got Alicia on her back. Then, in one of the team challenges post-merge, she ran out ahead of the team to scope out the puzzle ahead of time, rather than helping carry the last box onto the beach. Again, not a bad strategy (especially since it paid off and her team won), but at least one of her teammates seemed a little bit puzzled and slightly put-out when they saw her run ahead, which suggests to me that she didn't clear this with them ahead of time.

I can see why things like the above would make people avoid allying with her, since you can't be sure she won't go off and do what she thinks is best instead of sticking to the agreed-upon strategy (or voicing her ideas when the strategy is being discussed).

However, she seems like a perfectly nice person outside of the game, and nothing she's done seems to warrant the animosity that's come her way, especially from Alicia. I think it is an unfortunate case of "pick on the outsider because as long as we do that, no one will pick on me." I also don't think much of her plan to get to F6 with the women and then go on an immunity run. From what we've seen so far, I think pretty much all of the women (except possibly Alicia) could beat her in immunity challenges.

neplusultra

neplusultra

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 3:37 PM

I looked it up and still can't believe Sabrina is 33 and Alicia is 25. Those two have not aged well.

Huh, I see that with Alicia but not Sabrina, at all. Checking the thread title though, what does that have to do with Christina? Do you mean that she looks way younger than the two of them, rather than in between their ages?

CM52

CM52

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 3:26 AM

Huh, I see that with Alicia but not Sabrina, at all. Checking the thread title though, what does that have to do with Christina? Do you mean that she looks way younger than the two of them, rather than in between their ages?

I definitely assumed that Christina was significantly younger than both of them.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 3:45 AM

Unconditional, that probably *is* her only plan, but it's not what she said in the extra footage for this week's episode (link to it with comments in the episode thread).

She talked about how her problem is that in the game, she's not being herself. That in real life, she tends to talk when she shouldn't, but here on Survivor, she is keeping everything bottled up and being very reserved. (Another person who's not very self-aware, if you believe what other Survivors are saying about her - and witnessing her tendency to speak out of turn to her own detriment.)

And then she spoke at length about juggling several different plans to see which one got her further along in the game. Plan A, Plan B, Plan C.

So yeah, she's probably just hanging in there as long as she can. But she likes to think she's actually strategizing.

CM52, I assumed she was younger too.

Edited by FrogsRule, Apr 28, 2012 @ 3:46 AM.

Fiona77

Fiona77

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 10:50 AM

I'm kind of hoping that whichever group takes her to the final 3, because no one on the jury would vote for her, she reveals that she's been wishy-washy and dim on purpose so that she gets to the finals and then comes up with a good speech. Because it would be a good strategy. I'm actually shocked girlfriend is still in it. She was supposed to be out about 21 days ago, but she has hung on to the bitter end.

DragonScribe

DragonScribe

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:22 PM

I'm kind of hoping that whichever group takes her to the final 3, because no one on the jury would vote for her, she reveals that she's been wishy-washy and dim on purpose so that she gets to the finals and then comes up with a good speech. Because it would be a good strategy. I'm actually shocked girlfriend is still in it. She was supposed to be out about 21 days ago, but she has hung on to the bitter end.

This.

She was a target of sorts from the get-go, being lumped with the "older women" by the Kim-Sabrian-Chelsea-Alicia(!)-Kat group. And Alicia objected to her from the beginning, accusing her of things Christina never did, simply putting her Alicia-spin on things.

Christina has swallowed a lot of abuse and humiliation and remained civil and self-controlled throughout. I don't think it's stupidity or naivite at all. She is empathic (concerned about Colton, when he certainly didn't deserve it from her), and she pays attention. I don't think she has any illusions at all about how she is regarded. When she was walking with Tarzan and he said something about Alicia regarding her as a friend - a very faint reaction twitched on her face. (I'd have loved to see a confessional from her after that conversation!

Professionally, she is a career counselor - which means she has to listen to others very careful and not reveal her personal reactions to things.

She's been called a cock-roach to her face, she see the whole post-merge tribe dump on her, and all she has said is that yes, it hurts to be on the receiving end of that kind of disregard. But... she doesn't go around making vendettas of it, with the result that she's still there and people still talk to her, and she is a pawn in their plans, meaning she has some value in the game. Look at all the discussions that were going on -- if Chelsea isn't careful, she could be out, because Kim is not set on a specific plan.

Mabdul Doobakus

Mabdul Doobakus

Video Archivist

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 12:08 AM

I find Christina to be one of the most confusing/frustrating players I can remember. On the one hand, she seems completely inoffensive, and yet everyone seems to have an instinctive dislike of her. She has taken significant abuse from other players and I'm not sure she even offered a meek defense of herself. She just took it. She claims she has plans (Plans A, B, and C, no less), and yet we have yet to see even an inkling of sound strategy from here. She clearly cannot be confided in, and therefore can't be trusted, and yet she seems to have no agenda of her own. I can't figure out why she's even in this game. To me, she just seems like a giant void, an empty vessel, a Nothing. There has to be Something there, but we just haven't seen it. I don't know. Her complete lack of Anything kind of disturbs me. Her most endearing quality thus far is that her dad sure does seem to love her a lot. I feel bad for him, knowing he's watching this show.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 1:45 AM

DragonScribe, I know that Christina said on her Survivor profile that she's a career consultant. Actually however she tops everyone out there (including Troy and Alicia) as the ultimate famewhore. Just check out her Web site: http://www.christina-cha.com ...

She writes about herself:

Christina is a writer, TV personality/host, consultant, social media hustler, and the ultimate networker.

She's already lined up an agent, got her IMDB page and "Become a Host" profile set up, and clearly spent tons and tons and tons of money on photographs. Either Daddy is rich, or she thinks she's gonna win the million dollars. Her Web site alone makes me think she made it to F3.

Really, Alicia and Troy aren't the only two whose egos are inflated. Christina's right there with them.

TDWT Kristen

TDWT Kristen

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 2:03 AM

Whoa. Seeing all that made me drop my estimation of Christina by tons. Just play the game and, win or lose, go on with your life, Christina! Damn!

kikaha

kikaha

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 4:55 AM

Seeing all that made me drop my estimation of Christina by tons. Just play the game and, win or lose, go on with your life, Christina!

Why? Why should she not try to use her Survivor experience to start a new career, a new life?

I liked Christina a lot early on. I liked the deal she negotiated with the guys, to get fire for the women. The other women basically begged and failed: she offered something the men wanted and succeeded. I liked the way she solved that puzzle, that won the rewards challenge. When Alicia went ballistic on her, and Colton bullied her, I stood behind her even more.

She has made some appalling mistakes. But she is still here, even though she was not part of the cool women's alliance. (Just like the men, the women had a cool club too. They had the brains to include 5 in their group, not 4.) I will find it fun and funny if she makes F3.

neplusultra

neplusultra

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 8:07 AM

Kikaha, that is a really good point that both tribes had a "cool club", but as you say the women made sure it was 5 rather than 4 as with Matt and the "roosters". I was an early and avid backer of Christina, but got frustrated with her at a certain point for seeming to be too passive (I liked her best when she stood up to Alicia and then when she was scheming with the guys while Colton and Alicia were trying to make her feel like dirt).

You did a great job here though of making the case for her, and have kind of revived some of my feeling of admiration for her. At the very least, it is satisfying to see her get past "cool girl" Kat and if she makes it past any others, even better.

doctorb

doctorb

Video Archivist

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 8:24 AM

I wanted to like her, not the least of reasons is that she's beautiful. Also because she seemed level headed and cool as every event seemed to conspire against her.

But she's been so passive that I can't believe it's just her biding her time and not thinking she needs to make a move. I think she doesn't know what to do and is getting lucky.

Caroma

Caroma

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 11:39 PM

I shudder to think what you would have to do to Christina to get her mad at you. She seemed to shrug off Colton's and Alicia's abuse like it was nothing, and I really got kinda nauseated when she embraced Alicia after her oh-so-sincere apology.

Jyn

Jyn

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 11:43 PM

I thought it was sincere. I don't think Christina would've hugged her if she had even an inkling that it wasn't.

She seemed so close to nailing that final Immunity Challenge. I can imagine things would've been hard for the alliance if she had. Still, not fighting even an ounce after she knew she was likely toast made me kinda happy she didn't reach the F3.

Yogurt Baron

Yogurt Baron

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 11:44 PM

But she's been so passive that I can't believe it's just her biding her time and not thinking she needs to make a move. I think she doesn't know what to do and is getting lucky.

At F4, when she argued (well, mumbled) that the others should vote Sabrina out because Sabrina is bad at challenges? Possibly the dumbest thing any Survivor contestant has said about the game, ever.

SpeciousLogic

SpeciousLogic

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 8:57 AM

Congrats to Christina for making it well past #6, after so many detractors insisted she had no chance of moving higher unless she sided with Troy and turned on Kim et al. Sometimes the "three more days" strategy does work, and had Kim's stack fallen in the final IC, Christina would have made the F3. (Not that she had a chance of winning against anyone, really).

She was a virtual lock to go home 4th until the men gave up immunity. Instead she finished 4th. Other than Chris, I can't think of another Survivor whose final placement improved so dramatically based on a razor-thin margin.

But how dumb not even to make an effort to present herself as a better alternative than Sabrina for the F3? I mean a real effort, not "she's bad at challenges, but I know you 3 are tighter than a tick".

SimonHumboldt

SimonHumboldt

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 11:04 AM

I shudder to think what you would have to do to Christina to get her mad at you. She seemed to shrug off Colton's and Alicia's abuse like it was nothing, and I really got kinda nauseated when she embraced Alicia after her oh-so-sincere apology.

You are absolutely right, and this, plus her hyper-passive gameplay, is why Christina is utterly mystifying to me. I only have two explanations:

1. She has a terrible self-image or crippling inferiority complex, and therefore feels she "deserves" the abuse and scorn people heap upon her, and has learned to accept it. Maybe she had an oppressive upbringing and feels like she doesn't measure up to the expectations of others. I really hope that's not the case. She really is a beautiful young lady and seems to have a pleasant personality and positive disposition.

2. She is desperate to parlay Survivor into some sort of career in the entertainment industry, and was overly conscience about projecting a negative image or distasteful personality on national TV. Unfortunately, I think she went too far and came across as wishy-washy, passive, clueless about how to play the game, and ultimately a non-entity.

Either those, or she has religious convictions that REALLY take "turn the other cheek" seriously. But I just can't see how she COULDN'T have been hurt deeply by the way she was treated, both during the game and in reliving it by watching the show.

kikaha

kikaha

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 2:46 PM

She did not shrug off Alicia's attacks that first episode. She gave as good as she got. But I believe what she said, I think at the reunion, that she immediately saw she was an outsider and felt she had to dial it back to have any chance of going further in the game.

I myself was a bit stunned to see Alicia go for the jugular, after Christina did what none of the rest of them could do: get fire from the men. The other women in the cool chicks' alliance did not back her, either. So it's not that surprising that the lesson she learned, right from the start, was to not rock the boat.

Perhaps she carried things too far. Yet she made F4 and was real, real close to F3. That's not bad for someone who was an outsider from day 1.

SteakHead

SteakHead

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 2:57 PM

I was rooting for this chick for most of the season because she was being picked on by the bitches(Alicia and Colton) of the tribe. BUt then, we never got to see her strategy. The only reason she lasted until final 4 was because she was no threat to anyone. yet, she is the rare pathetic player who couldn't use her lack of vote geetting ability to snag a place in the final 3 because Kim was convinced she could get her vote anyway. What a chump.

But this is where I got pissed. She could merely say "you know, i realized I am not cut out for the cutthroat politics. So I am content with how I played" Instead she tries to build herself up as this super confident smart go getter of a person(a social media hustler??? really?). Yeah, so smart she looked lost on the puzzle which Kim won at the beginning of the episode. So coinfident that she faltered badly on the final part of the challenge she was neck and neck with Kim on all the way. So clueless that she stupidly blabbed what Chelsea told her to the rest of the group. So weak that she ignored the fact that Alicia was badmouthing her even after she was eliminated. But from what Christina says, she and Alicia became friends in the second half of the game.

I will say one great thing about her. She, not Chelsea had the hottest body out there. Chelsea had implants. Christina's body tone was nice and womanly with no cosmetic surgery help.

Edited by SteakHead, May 14, 2012 @ 3:49 PM.

neplusultra

neplusultra

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 12:48 AM

Boy, talk about ambivalence: I find myself nodding at pretty much all the points made here, even though they are radically opposed in terms of pro/con.

On the con: Yogurt Baron is right: the "vote out Sabrina because she's bad at challenges" was a bigtime ::headdesk:: moment (and totally justified Sabrina's saying Christina didn't even seem to understand she's playing the game of Survivor). SimonHumboldt's twofold hypothesis makes sense: the "maybe I am a cockroach" screams low self image, and might dovetail with not wanting to make waves while trying to get into the entertainment industry (but agreed that she took it way, way too far). Steakhead makes a great point that she is in a way the ultimate bad player in that she gets to F4 by being no threat, yet can't parlay that even into being an F3 goat because she not only won't fight to stay in, she's still a loyal vote for Kim on the jury (still don't understand why she was taken to F4 though). Also that it's doubly embarrassing to play this way when you're claiming to be a "social media hustler" as opposed to being a quiet, anonymous office worker or something.

On the pro: Specious Logic and kikaha make the undeniable point that she did make F4 and almost F3, and kikaha again makes a number of excellent points about how conditions on the ground may have kept her from doing much more than she did. And I agree with Steakhead that she had the hottest body out there! (Not a butterface either: could the other women have been jealous?)

Edited by neplusultra, May 15, 2012 @ 12:50 AM.

SpeciousLogic

SpeciousLogic

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 8:16 AM

still don't understand why she was taken to F4 though

My thought is that Kim was keeping her options open right up until the end, and at F5 Alicia was a much bigger IC threat than Christina (though ultimately that may have proven incorrect).

And I agree with Steakhead that she had the hottest body out there! (Not a butterface either: could the other women have been jealous?)

Other than Alicia, whom I did not find attractive (possibly because of her personality), I don't think any of the Final 6 women had any reason to be jealous of any of the others. And since Alicia is The Best At Everything, I don't think she is capable of jealousy :eyeroll:

In other words, I don't think physical jealousy had anything to do with Christina being on the outside most of the game.

doctorb

doctorb

Video Archivist

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 9:57 AM

Absolute agreement about Christina's body. She was beautiful all season. And she was the underdog from the first moment, who I usually root for. But then she kept disappointing me and Kim kept running such a great game I actually started rooting for her not to wake up and strategize. She kept getting hotter, though. Which added to the season immensely.

Edited by doctorb, May 15, 2012 @ 3:16 PM.

Special Kay

Special Kay

Video Archivist

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 11:32 AM

On the body issue, I agree that Christina's is great. She is 5'6" and weighed 120 pounds at Ponderosa, having lost 23 pounds. So she began at 143, and looked great at that weight, too, if I remember correctly.

OTOH, Alicia, is I don't know how tall, but certainly not more than a few inches shorter than Christina. She weighed a mere 115 at Ponderosa and still seemed pretty chubby.

The mind boggles. Ladies: the number on the scale does not mean a thing!

Temmere

Temmere

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 1:42 PM

She, not Chelsea had the hottest body out there. Chelsea had implants. Christina's body tone was nice and womanly with no cosmetic surgery help.

I agree that Christina was very hot, hotter than Chelsea even, but I'd be surprised if she did not have implants.

I wanted to like Christina as a player but there was just nothing there. No strategy, no physical ability, no tenacity.