S24: Alicia

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

111 replies to this topic

Paron Xanthis

Paron Xanthis

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 6:13 PM

Hi. I work with the very slow, basically.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 7:01 PM

It is disturbing that she has no one she deems hero or inspiration. I don't care if you're 25, 50, or 75, there's always someone who has made you better than you would have been without them in your life. Especially - if you're 25 - teachers and professors.

She likes to spend money, and she's a special ed teacher? Why do I get the feeling she's on Survivor so she can quit her day job? She sounds like one of the actress wannabes who ruin the game.

And - she admires Jenna? Hope there's not a Heidi on One World.

I have never actively rooted for someone to be the first person voted out. But - she is the exception to my rule. I don't want her on my TV for more than 45 minutes.

BML1980

BML1980

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 7:58 PM

Also, if you're trying to paint yourself as a representative for the fuller figured girls who feel uncomfortable in a bikini and are self-conscious about themselves, you probably shouldn't follow that with a statement in which you brag that men fall in love with you "way too quickly".

Edited by BML1980, Jan 26, 2012 @ 7:59 PM.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

• Interests:Left wing politics, sci-fi, sports, competitive reality shows

Posted Jan 28, 2012 @ 9:37 PM

It is disturbing that she has no one she deems hero or inspiration. I don't care if you're 25, 50, or 75, there's always someone who has made you better than you would have been without them in your life. Especially - if you're 25 - teachers and professors.

I don't really have a problem with that. Some people don't believe in hero worship. There may be people they are grateful to, but whom they don't view as "heroes." I actually think that's a healthy way to view life. Everyone has flaws. The problem with hero worship is that it typically tries to brush over those flaws. After the person is elevated to hero status, the flaws are used to bring them crashing back to earth. I think that's as true in one-on-one personal relationships as it is in pop culture. So, not indulging in that can be a much more healthy way of dealing with others. There may be things about her that I end up disliking, but I don't find that particular thing disturbing at all.

Edited by BDArizona, Jan 28, 2012 @ 9:38 PM.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2012 @ 10:15 PM

BDArizona, Alicia introduced the "hero" terminology. The question was: Inspiration in life. She replied, "I have yet to find someone to call my hero." And then added that she hoped one day she would be considered an inspiration to someone.

So to me it doesn't sound like she has issues with hero worship, but rather with giving other people credit for their influence in her life. For someone who's only 25 and not that far out of school, I would have to think that any decent person would recognize that a teacher or professor (or two or three) along the way had helped her. If not her own parents or grandparents.

Comes across as very self-centered, even though "people who talk about themselves" is one of her pet peeves.

nightlilies

nightlilies

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 16, 2012 @ 1:05 AM

Do not like. I hated how she interrupted Christina, then when Christina tried to tell her side, yelled at her for interrupting her.
I think she will be the bitch of the season.

TDI Ashley

TDI Ashley

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 16, 2012 @ 1:29 AM

The obvious bitch of the season, but I didn't blame her for her annoyance at Christina.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2012 @ 4:48 AM

First thought, Maybe she's not as bad as her pre-season profile indicated.

By the end of the hour: GET HER OFF MY TV! The women should have traded her for fire.

Sophist

Sophist

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 16, 2012 @ 8:15 AM

Few things are worse than someone who is both illogical and argumentative. From what I could sift from her shouting, Alicia was mad because Christina made a deal and then told the women what it would involve. ??? Chickens are not a renewable resource but palm fronds and labor are - I think that was a decent deal, and certainly Alicia was unable to argue coherently against it, though argue she did. I have faith that there are enough sensible women on this tribe to send her packing soon.

Constantinople

Constantinople

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2012 @ 8:41 AM

If she made Final 2/3 and I were on the jury, my question would be "If you win, do you promise to purchase less revealing clothing?"

She has goat potential, but perhaps she may be so obnoxious that even the prospect of a million dollars can't get people to put up with her for 39 days la Ben in Samoa.

danheaton

danheaton

Channel Surfer

• Interests:I write a film and TV blog called Public Transportation Snob. This season, I'll be recapping both Survivor and the Amazing Race for Sound on Sight.

Posted Feb 16, 2012 @ 1:12 PM

I don't expect her to last super long. She may be in the five-person alliance, but watching everyone's reactions to her at TC, I'm not they'll be able to stand her very long. She was awful last night and isn't self-aware at all.

TDI Ashley

TDI Ashley

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 16, 2012 @ 1:15 PM

We might be surprised. Few people could stand Shane, yet he stayed in his core four alliance on Casaya in Exile Island. And nearly no one could stand last season's Brandon, and he still remained in the Upolu Five rather than being swapped out for someone else (like he should've been). So I can see Alicia remaining with her core group, as well.

ChicksDigScars

ChicksDigScars

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 16, 2012 @ 1:20 PM

Oh dear god, this bitch HAS to GO. Please, Christina, work some magic so that the alliance Alicia thinks is so solid, turns on her immediately. If the women are fractured and unable to work has a team, HERE is your reason.

where is truth

where is truth

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2012 @ 1:42 PM

I'm not sure I can stand an entire season of this chick, but a few episodes of watching her come to grips with the fact that her breasts don't have the trade-in value she's accustomed to might really be amusing.

joeschmoe

joeschmoe

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 16, 2012 @ 9:59 PM

My guess for this chick:

Either Finals Gold, if she both keeps up with her combative attitude and has the numbers to protect her or booted in fairly short order due to driving her alliance nuts. I'd love to think otherwise but sadly, I expect her ass to be dragged to the Finals. It sucks that she made an enemy in Christina, whom I find rootable yet predict to be booted soon enough.

DragonScribe

DragonScribe

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 17, 2012 @ 2:59 PM

Alicia annoyed the heck out of me very fast. Starting with being certain that flirting with the guys was going to get her anywhere.

Then she gets all hostile that Christina even talked with the guys. Doesn't Alicia remember that this is a social game? That if the guys think someone might be reasonable to deal with, after any merge, that would be an advantage? Alicia's reaction is not very long-thinking.

And then she was just over-the-top hostile to Christina at tribal. I think during tribal Kim, Kat and Chelsea realized they were allied with an unstrategic whack-job. And from their reactions, I wouldn't be surprised if they ditched Alicia for Christina.

TDI Ashley

TDI Ashley

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 17, 2012 @ 4:14 PM

I don't know. The Upolu Five kept Brandon in their alliance despite him obviously not being all that right in the head. I see the same thing happening with Alicia.

What is it with people named Alicia on this show being rampant bitches?

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 1:30 PM

I think she's stupid. Christina made a very logical bargain that took nothing away from the women and gave them fire to boil water and cook food. Alicia was not close to the discussion. Plus, Christina spoke to a person on the male team who is not insane. The women came out ahead on this and Alicia is too stupid to see it. JMO.

soupandsandwich

soupandsandwich

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 11:26 AM

Alicia was completely wrong about the deal Christina set up, wasn't she? I didn't think anything was said about 2 women going over to the men's side to weave their fronds, or whatever they are. I understood that she bargained them down from weaving 40, to weaving 20. 2 for each woman. And that it would make more sense to just weave them there, as opposed to hauling stuff back and forth. Maybe she wanted to send 2 at a time, to weave? Or I guess if someone wanted to do more than 2, it wouldn't matter. Just as long as they get what they bargained for.

I cannot stand people who interrupt like Alicia did. She said her piece, so now let Christina say hers. And I realize that she did say it, but they just didn't show it. I was totally with Christina when she told Alicia to just shut up though. That needed to be said, and will need to be said a lot, for as long as they keep her in the tribe.

I hope Alicia goes soon. She needs to go early, because this is when they will be more concerned with the well being of the entire tribe. And Alicia is not a positive part of their tribe, because she has such a skank attitude. If she stays much longer, then she could be tolerated simply for her vote, depending on who she is aligned with. I just hope she goes soon, because I don't need to listen to her yap in her TH, or just around camp. I think she will dominate while she's there, and we won't get to hear some of them speak at all, because of Alicia's big mouth, and also because TPTB seem to think we love it when they focus on a couple of players. The louder and more controversial, the better, in their opinion.

Edited by soupandsandwich, Feb 19, 2012 @ 11:27 AM.

BK1978

BK1978

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 3:18 PM

Alicia reminds me a lot of the chick they called Man Troll (Was Dana her real name?) from season four of America's Big Brother. They look similar and they are both annoying. I agree I think Alicia will probably last for some time, just based on the fact that I cannot stand her.

TDI Ashley

TDI Ashley

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 4:47 PM

BK1978
Alicia reminds me a lot of the chick they called Man Troll (Was Dana her real name?) from season four of America's Big Brother.

Yes, that's right. Dana was her name.

toddthomas

toddthomas

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 4:26 PM

I understand that casting wants people that cause drama...but can we sometime have drama because of personality conflicts and not, as in Alicia, because they are unrepentent hateful shrieking creatures?

TDA Jake

TDA Jake

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 8, 2012 @ 12:06 AM

She dodged a bullet when Manono gave up immunity to go to Tribal Council. I think her mouth (and her lackluster challenge skills) should've gotten her gone.

Cannot believe she went off on Kat for daring to say she wanted a partner who was good at puzzles.

rogueankh

rogueankh

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 11:45 AM

I cannot believe Probst keeps getting nominated for Emmys when he is such a clearly meddling, favoritist host. It was ridiculous the way he called Alicia out after that immunity loss. Yes, obviously it was partly her fault, but damn, why not just come right out and say, "Vote Alicia out now and you won't have to come to tribal council tonight; let me see a show of hands."

I'd like to think if I was ever on the show, which I never would aspire to, I would give Jeff a piece of my mind of he pulled that crap with me. I don't really care about Alicia one way or the other, but I think it would've been awesome if she had verbally lit into him right on the spot. Would it maybe have saved her neck? Not that she needed it after the men's boneheaded decision.

NYC2007

NYC2007

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 11:48 AM

I don't understand how Colton made her believe voting off one of the women would help her? Doesn't she realize that she's the the number 5 of their 5 person alliance and the first to go? I don't see how this will help her even after the merge.

TDA Jake

TDA Jake

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 2:34 PM

Unless Colton plans to move her up the pecking order ahead of Leif and maybe Tarzan (or at least told her that, and we didn't see it), I don't see why she joined him and the other men, either.

That said, it's not like she had any other options. She probably wants to preserve her game for as long as possible before she gets to the merge to join back up with her original alliance.

jersey guy 87

jersey guy 87

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 4:16 PM

Unless Colton plans to move her up the pecking order ahead of Leif and maybe Tarzan (or at least told her that, and we didn't see it), I don't see why she joined him and the other men, either.

That said, it's not like she had any other options. She probably wants to preserve her game for as long as possible before she gets to the merge to join back up with her original alliance.

I don't sense Alicia is planning long term - she saw the women were at a disadvantage in nuManono, she decided the best way to not be next on the chopping block was to try to work with Colton (who the men on nuManono clearly followed). Thus Monica goes first and Christine goes next. Then (if they haven't merged) Alicia will start to worry again.

Yogurt Baron

Yogurt Baron

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 4:53 AM

I don't sense Alicia is planning long term - she saw the women were at a disadvantage in nuManono, she decided the best way to not be next on the chopping block was to try to work with Colton (who the men on nuManono clearly followed). Thus Monica goes first and Christine goes next. Then (if they haven't merged) Alicia will start to worry again.

Agreed. What other option did she have---suddenly aligning with the two women she'd been against since Day 1, trying to get one of the men to abandon his reasonably tight alliance to work with three discohesive women who may or may not stick together, and then hoping for the best? How would this have been a good move for either Alicia or the man involved? It would've carried big short-term risks (pissing off Colton, drawing attention to yourself as a ringleader) and really no benefit (yes, if the current tribe whittles itself down to four before the merge, Alicia's in trouble, but what are the odds of that? Merges always come shortly after swaps, don't they?) As it is, she's managed to do what she's wanted to do from the start---get rid of the women on the outside of her alliance---while building relationships with the other tribe. Alicia seems like a terrible person, but a reasonable Survivor player.

SpeciousLogic

SpeciousLogic

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 1:31 PM

Merges always come shortly after swaps, don't they?

Usually, but not always. In S12, they did a tribal swap after the very first episode, but no merge until the usual 10. (And if you think they abandoned the "One World" concept too early, their abandonment of the "great demographic tribal experiment" after a single episode puts that to shame -- especially when it's obvious that was always the plan).

Unless Alicia had reason to think she could rope in one or 2 of the men for a solid vote against another man (and we saw nothing to indicate this was a possibility), she really didn't have much choice but to adopt the "anybody but me" strategy and hope for a merge before she bubbled to the top of the queue. Stamping her feet and insisting on countering Colton when it was clear he had his mind set on Monica had no real upside and definite downside.

I dislike her greatly, but I don't blame her for cozying up to Colton in this case. Maybe she hopes to move past one of the misfits in the alliance.

TDA Jake

TDA Jake

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 3:40 PM

I suppose she theoretically could've tried Leif if Colton wouldn't budge, since he'd basically put himself on the outs with his alliance last week and would probably want to find some new options. But in practice, it still might not have worked since Leif was desperate and anxious to prove his loyalty to his alliance after his snafu in week four.

So I'm still thinking she made the right choice.