Art & J.J.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

83 replies to this topic

Orfling

Orfling

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:46 AM

More on JJ's background. First, his outrage at the stunt casting of Team Big Brother might be a little hollow, as his own appearance on the show might be due to a little bit of inside influence. Specifically, JJ's wife, Constance Ramos, is a television personality who has been on Extreme Makeover Home Edition and had (has?) a show on HGTV called Color Correction. It seems at least plausible, if not likely, that the family TV connection helped with TAR casting.

In terms of his football background, JJ was a college football quarterback, for the Division II Southern Arkansas Muleriders. He plays now for the San Diego Enforcers, a team in a law enforcement-oriented adult football league called the NPSFL ("National Public Safety Football League"). Per the league's own website, "the players of each of the teams don't play for money." NPSFL So, I'm guessing JJ's calling this a "semi-pro" league is because the team uniforms, etc., are paid for by sponsors. (Hey! That means my son who plays Little League is playing "semi-pro" baseball! That'll look cool on his college applications one day.)

Bottom line, JJ has some legit athletic credentials (playing QB in college football is nothing to sneeze at, even if it's Division II) but, as seems to be his MO, still tries to brag and make his accomplishments even more impressive.

Edited by Orfling, Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:48 AM.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 11:55 AM

So, I'm guessing JJ's calling this a "semi-pro" league is because the team uniforms, etc., are paid for by sponsors. (Hey! That means my son who plays Little League is playing "semi-pro" baseball! That'll look cool on his college applications one day.)

Ha!

JJ looked so ridiculous during the dancing, and I was rolling. I was hoping for a meltdown, but then he (barely) completed the dance, and left ahead of Mark.

stinamaia

stinamaia

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 12:18 PM

Thanks for that report of JJ’s sporting career.

It sheds some light on the teachers/feds getting fed up with his “undercover” stories.

I was chuckling at their basic “men can’t dance” mindset. I wanted to go tell that to the Dancing With the Stars dancers and the Bolshoi ballet. But Art and JJ probably have their own interesting explanation for the successful male dancers.

Chyna

Chyna

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:10 PM

I wanted to go tell that to the Dancing With the Stars dancers and the Bolshoi ballet.

Plus all the guys who were actually on the stage with the Racers. Shut up, Art.

heydude08

heydude08

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 11:39 AM

I was SOOOO hoping Bopper and Mark would beat these two jerks to the mat last night! I want AJ and Art gone...like weeks ago. If they win the million there ain't no God!!

Skelley

Skelley

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 2:38 PM

They are insufferable.
Why were they mad at Team BB for not doing the FF? They get all jacked up about some pretty dumb shit.

PainSD

PainSD

Just Tuned In

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 1:18 PM

Per the league's own website, "the players of each of the teams don't play for money." NPSFL So, I'm guessing JJ's calling this a "semi-pro" league is because the team uniforms, etc., are paid for by sponsors. (Hey! That means my son who plays Little League is playing "semi-pro" baseball! That'll look cool on his college applications one day.)

Just FYI, the players on the San Diego Enforcers (as well as the rest of the NPSFL) don't get paid because they chose as a group to forgo payment in order to donate all profits to a charitable organization that they choose each year. This year it's United Cerebral Palsy.

These guys do legitimate good every year.

Edited by TWoP Roxy, May 4, 2012 @ 12:00 PM.
manners

bunnyface

bunnyface

Video Archivist

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 4:03 PM

Hi J.J.! Welcome to forums!

Actually, Art and J.J. and all the rest of them can do "legitimate good" as much as they want and that's great. But if they go on my tv and act like ass hats, I'm still not going to like them being on my tv acting like ass hats and will be rooting for them to go down in flames as soon as possible and get off my tv. Then they can return to their legitimate do-gooding and leave me alone.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 5:19 PM

I have a really, really hard time buying into the "charitable" activities of the NPSFL. Neither the main site (for all teams in the NPSFL) nor the site for the San Diego Enforcers quantifies the amount of money they donate to the charities listed on their sites. Red flag #1.

Second red flag: The latest Form 990 I could find on file for the NPSFL was for 2009. In that year, they had total assets of $4000, and total ***INCOME*** of $20,810. For all teams. (They are registered in the Bronx, New York.) Since their income was less than $25,000, they were not required to demonstrate where that money had gone.

I therefore have a very hard time believing that these men (the women get to be the "cheerleaders") are doing this for charity. Heck, that many people involved in an organization, they could pool their petty cash and donate more than $20,000 a year to selected charities.

Although no way in hell any of the charities they list saw $20,000 in donations. I'd be willing to wager the charities got less than $5000 each year, if that much. Somebody's gotta pay for uniforms and cheerleaders and field rental.

micki15

micki15

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 9:59 PM

Anyone who goes on reality TV is putting themselves out to be judged. JJ and Art were assholes, not to mention whiny babies.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 5:14 AM

Y'know PainSD, if that is the case, think how much more would be given to charity if all those players, cheerleaders, coaches, owners of football fields, etc., simply gave the value of uniforms, travel, and field time to the various charities.

Lemme see: Minimum 22 players per team. Plus five coaches? Plus ten cheerleaders? Reasonable estimate of $500/person (if not far more) for travel and equipment. That would be $18,500 PER TEAM per year minimum, instead of the less than $20,000 pittance that the entire league gives to charity (if that much).

From what I've seen of JJ on the show, it sounds to me like a bunch of hasbeens and wannabes have found a tax write-off that allows them to keep living in the past, instead of acting like grown-ups and realizing that they have real responsibilities in this world.

JJ especially talked a lot in that one confessional about how people have no excuse to be unemployed, that they should just do whatever it takes yada yada yada. But then it turns out he's full of hot air, since he considers going on TAR to win money "for his family" as something "manly". What's wrong with earning money for his family?

I started off wanting to like these guys. We're all taught to respect people who put their lives on the line for our country. But these two guys - especially JJ - are frauds. Nary and Jamie put them to shame.

Kolaka

Kolaka

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:03 AM

instead of the less than $20,000 pittance that the entire league gives to charity (if that much)

$20,000 isn't a pittance to any charity. There's nothing wrong with having a little fun while generating money for charity, never mind awareness. Just because someone thinks there's a better way to do it doesn't devalue what's being done. Plus there is no way of knowing how much extra the team members gave to charity in addition to what the teams generate.

I'm not an Art & JJ fan, was rooting for Mark & Bopper and now have no one to root for - but I hate seeing scorn thrown down on these types of activities.

I wouldn't characterize Art & JJ as frauds either, unless I was out working with them every day and could see it for myself. I don't see how Nary and Jamie "put them to shame" since we know very little about any of them, except we do know that Jamie shot herself in the leg, not exactly confidence inspiring.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 2:22 PM

Kolaka, $20K is the *maximum* that that "semi-pro" football league would have given to charity. That was their total income before expenses. To emphasize, that was the total income of all teams in the league, not just of the San Diego team where JJ plays. Their tickets only cost $5 per game, so it doesn't sound like they are that intent on actually raising money.

I'm on the board of directors of a legitimate 501( c )(3) nonprofit and function as its Executive Director, so I know how hard it is to raise money. But I also know that there are way too many groups out there that hide behind a 501( c )(3) certification so its members can get tax write-offs for stuff everyone else does for free, and it irks me.

Since when is a Sunday game of football among friends - even with cheerleaders - a tax-deductible expense? Basically with the setup that the NPSFL has, every single person who plays in that league (including JJ) gets to write off their hobby as a charitable deduction, while the organization gives almost nothing to a charity. It appears to be set up solely for the benefit of the players, with the "charitable donation" the way they justify it to the IRS.

I still see JJ as a fraud. He wants people to think of him as some wonderful, talented, brilliant person who is worthy of respect because he wears a uniform, when in reality he's a misogynist bully. He and Art were just acquaintances (not friends) before the race, having known one another only five months. I doubt the "friendship" will last much past May 6.

Edited by FrogsRule, May 3, 2012 @ 2:23 PM.

TryingHarder

TryingHarder

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 2:28 PM

I don't see how Nary and Jamie "put them to shame" since we know very little about any of them, except we do know that Jamie shot herself in the leg, not exactly confidence inspiring.

Thank you, thank you ! I was waiting for someone to say that !!!

$20,000 isn't a pittance to any charity. There's nothing wrong with having a little fun while generating money for charity, never mind awareness. Just because someone thinks there's a better way to do it doesn't devalue what's being done. Plus there is no way of knowing how much extra the team members gave to charity in addition to what the teams generate.

Well said.

I'm on the board of directors of a legitimate 501( c )(3) nonprofit and function as its Executive Director, so I know how hard it is to raise money. But I also know that there are way too many groups out there that hide behind a 501( c )(3) certification so its members can get tax write-offs for stuff everyone else does for free, and it irks me.

They donate to charity, who said they are a non-profit?

Kolaka

Kolaka

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 5:51 PM

FrogsRule, I understand that $20K is the maximum, as it is the stated revenue before expenses. I was taking issue with $20K being a pittance. I've actually done bookkeeping exclusively for 501( c )(3) organizations for over 20 years, of various sizes, and $20K is never sneezed at.

It could be that the NPSFL gives much less than their stated revenue to charity, I don't know.

It appears to be set up solely for the benefit of the players, with the "charitable donation" the way they justify it to the IRS.

They have to follow IRS regulations in this regard. (TryingHarder, it is on their website that they are a 501( c )(3) non-profit). I don't see anything wrong with writing off expenses, the law allows it, as long as those who buy tickets (which is not the only way they generate revenue, per the website) are aware of how it works and money is generated for charity. It's up to the donors/ticket buyers to decide if that's how they want their money to support the charity. They could just mess around and play on their own rather than deal with tickets, accounting, 990s, etc. - all a pain in the butt. Based on the revenue, it doesn't seem like individual write offs would be worth doing the proper accounting.

I don't watch the extra videos so I don't know if Art or JJ are promoting themselves as these great charitable guys or what. JJ just plays for the league, he doesn't appear to run it.

I'm really meh on them. Based on minutes of a TV show and edited clips I have a hard time labeling racers misogynist or what have you. Art & JJ as a team seem to be falling apart so I don't see them winning over Rachel & Dave, who seem to be getting stronger, or even Brenden and Rachel, who are keeping it together.

Edited by Kolaka, May 3, 2012 @ 5:52 PM.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 1:47 AM

Kolaka, to further quantify my statements above -

I wrote: Lemme see: Minimum 22 players per team. Plus five coaches? Plus ten cheerleaders? Reasonable estimate of $500/person (if not far more) for travel and equipment. That would be $18,500 PER TEAM per year minimum, instead of the less than $20,000 pittance that the entire league gives to charity (if that much).

I just went back to the NPSFL Web site. There are twenty-eight (28) teams in the league. To begin with, that means that each team brings in on average $743.21 (seven-hundred-forty-three dollars and twenty-one cents), $20,810/28. That comes to about $20.10 per player and cheerleader, or less. PER YEAR.

Put another way: Those 28 teams played 52 games in 2012. $20,810 / 52 games = $400 per game. At $5/ticket, that comes to 80 people in attendance at each game. Why do those numbers sound fishy?

As you also know, at $25,000 annual income, a 501( c )(3) has to file a complete Form 990, not the postcard. Which means they would have to detail sources of income and how the money was spent. I would be willing to wager that NPSFL never intends on exceeding $25K a year.

ETA: TryingHarder, I never would have picked on the NPSFL's "charitable" activities if "PainSD" had not jumped down the throats of stinamaia, ribboninthesky, and Orfling after they commented on JJ's inflated self-image and ridiculous ego.

Because on the show, he has made a big deal out of being a "semi-professional athlete". So it seems fair to look into the league that he bases his bragging rights on. And when you look, you find a load of crap, which is unsurprising, considering the way that JJ has run the race.

I totally get the fact that people on reality TV shows are edited into specific character types, and that rarely does the reality of the actual person mesh with the persona the editors give us to cheer for or boo. For example, I cannot stand Major Dave on my TV, but I'm betting that IRL he's a decent guy who needs to work on his temper, but who's a great neighbor.

Same with Troy on Survivor. I was glad when he got off my screen, but IRL, I'd probably get a kick out of his sense of humor.

But with Art and JJ - or at least with JJ - I feel like the editors perhaps made him a tiny bit nicer than he was on the race, so we wouldn't root against him from the get-go. I doubt there's a big gap between what we see and how he is. It would be nice if he would prove me wrong, as I honestly love it when people turn out to be better and nicer than I think they are.

But until he drops his bullying tough guy routine, and gains a little respect for people around him...

Edited by FrogsRule, May 4, 2012 @ 1:57 AM.

TryingHarder

TryingHarder

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 2:25 AM

TryingHarder, it is on their website that they are a 501( c )(3) non-profit).

ETA: TryingHarder, I never would have picked on the NPSFL's "charitable" activities if "PainSD" had not jumped down the throats of stinamaia, ribboninthesky, and Orfling after they commented on JJ's inflated self-image and ridiculous ego.

I should have looked. I did not know they were a non-profit. But, what they do in their spare time is their business. It really doesn't have to do with the race. JMO. We can all disagree.

TWoP Roxy

TWoP Roxy

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 12:02 PM

Moving on...

Starchild

Starchild

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 2:27 PM

My second thought was, if I were writing the story, that there would be another U-Turn and Dave & Rachel would have the opportunity to use it on Art & JJ, but wouldn't.

This would only result in JJ claiming that Dave finally realized the error of his ways, but that it's too late for apologies. No, I'd love to see Art & JJ U-Turned (by anyone), and then revel in the meltdown.

bunnyface

bunnyface

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 3:05 PM

Normally I don't mind the U-Turn. It's a fair part of the game, etc. etc. But I don't want those two U-Turned because then it would give them an excuse. "We would have won if we hadn't been CHEATED out of the win." No, I want them to lose fair and square (not that the U-Turn isn't fair) all on their own. I want them to go down in a blaze of stupidity all their own fault. Preferably the mistake will be J.J.s, preferably incredibly stupid, preferably involving him being "beaten by a girl" and therefore "stripped of his manhood" (as per previous comments.) That would be ideal.

But really, as long as they lose, I don't care how it happens.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:06 PM

Bunnyface, I agree, except ... If Dave and Rachel U-Turn them, it could possibly put an end to the Survivorish theme that Art and JJ were promoting, that is of forming racing alliances that try to eliminate non-allied teams. Even without TPTB doing something about it.

If Art and JJ's staunchest "ally" is the team that takes them out, it would be too grand.

ETA: MWolf just posted a great "Phil" TV Guide interview in the TAR-Media thread. In the interview, Phil talks about the intensity of the rivalry between Vanessa and BBRachel. He then noted that Brendon and Ralph dealt with things differently, commenting that he believes men deal with conflict in a completely different manner from women. "I'm generalizing, but a lot of times, guys will scream at each other, but once it's out, it's gone. They don't go back on it. With women, they tend to hold on to things longer. They want to fully explore feelings, what it really means, what they think it means. There's a lot more discussion."

The interviewer then pointed out that JJ seemed to hold on to the U-Turn grudge an awfully long time. Phil: "Yeah! I think he's tapping into more female tendencies." Maybe that's why he keeps talking about being a "manly man." ;-)

In other news: Phil, really?! If we wanted sexist Probst, we'd watch Survivor.

miz liz

miz liz

Video Archivist

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 1:25 PM

Normally I don't mind the U-Turn. It's a fair part of the game, etc. etc. But I don't want those two U-Turned because then it would give them an excuse. "We would have won if we hadn't been CHEATED out of the win." No, I want them to lose fair and square (not that the U-Turn isn't fair) all on their own. I want them to go down in a blaze of stupidity all their own fault. Preferably the mistake will be J.J.s, preferably incredibly stupid, preferably involving him being "beaten by a girl" and therefore "stripped of his manhood" (as per previous comments.) That would be ideal.

But really, as long as they lose, I don't care how it happens.

Amen to that! And if Art could please call him "a little bitch" again (you know, when he's acting like one), that would be great.

But yeah, as long as they lose- that's all that matters. I actually don't care who wins because I pretty much equally dislike all the other teams. But my collective dislike for them only adds up to about 1% of the naked hatred I harbor for these 2.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:05 PM

I don't think JJ would have been much better at the sledding aspect of the roadblock than Art. That task was definitely more suitable for someone smaller and compact. I did feel bad for Art, though. He looked exhausted. Still, can't say I'm disappointed...I was worried they would win it all when Rachel and Dave had to go back.

chelonia

chelonia

Channel Surfer

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 1:42 PM

For me, the best part of the finale was the Border Bullies getting lost trying to follow another team. Hilarious!