Vanessa & Ralph

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

108 replies to this topic

BettyPoz

BettyPoz

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 12:49 PM

I understand people don't like Ralph and Vanessa, but blaming them for not having evenly split nine roadblocks is silly.

I think you're missing the point. ribboninthesky1 said:

Sure, you don't know what roadblocks are ahead of you, no team does. But that's why it's a good idea to be strategic when you can about who does which ones.

There was no reason why Vanessa shouldn't have done the bottle on the head dance (which immediately comes to my mind). But in my viewing mind it was obvious she didn't want to do it because they were behind and she didn't want to be to blame if they came in last.

LadyEight

LadyEight

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 12:53 PM

Well, they didn't break up "moments after elimination." But here's an article where she talks about her experience on the race. They ask her about Rachel -- Vanessa says she doesn't like her. Big surprise. Vanessa also doesn't seem to like her own behavior -- another big surprise.

Edited by LadyEight, May 8, 2012 @ 12:54 PM.

BettyPoz

BettyPoz

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 3:05 PM

Well, they didn't break up "moments after elimination."

Personally, I doubt they were even a "couple" except for the purpose of going on The Amazing Race.

Throughout the Game show challenge I just kept saying Karma! I think my husband was getting a little annoyed with me!

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 7:02 PM

Thanks, BettyPoz. Nowhere in my posts was I "blaming" them for not evenly splitting roadblocks. And my assessment has nothing to do with liking or disliking them. Based on what we SAW on the show, my perspective was more about being strategic on who did which roadblocks. The other couples appeared to keep this in mind more so than Ralph and Vanessa did.

In addition, the ONLY other team shown discussing the roadblock split (before the gameshow roadblock) was Rachel and Brendon, not virtually all other teams. At least, not during the aired episode. Border Patrol didn't reference it, and neither did Rachel and Dave. I certainly don't keep up with the split, and for anyone watching who wasn't tracking it, what was shown was Vanessa stating she HAD to do the roadblock.

Even without the ankle injury, I think Ralph would have been better suited to it. As someone mentioned I think, Ralph is considerably taller, so it wouldn't have been as much of a challenge to jump up to grab the rubber chickens while running.

Shades of Red

Shades of Red

Video Archivist

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 3:46 AM

Well, they didn't break up "moments after elimination." But here's an article where she talks about her experience on the race.

Which article also notes that the pair split "a couple of days after 'Amazing Race'." So, my bad. A couple of days after.

Incredibly, that article makes her sound like an even more revolting person than the Race showed her to be.

Never really a true couple, BettyPoz? Interesting! I never thought of that, but in retrospect it makes a lot of sense.

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 4:50 AM

Incredibly, that article makes her sound like an even more revolting person than the Race showed her to be.

How so? I didn't get that from it at all. She seems pretty aware of and honest about her own faults in that interview. I agree with her about Rachel too - I don't have any patience with whiny, snivelling babies who aren't actually babies either.

Chyna

Chyna

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 8:48 AM

oops, wrong thread.

Edited by Chyna, May 9, 2012 @ 8:51 AM.

jersey guy 87

jersey guy 87

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:08 AM

Thanks, BettyPoz. Nowhere in my posts was I "blaming" them for not evenly splitting roadblocks. And my assessment has nothing to do with liking or disliking them. Based on what we SAW on the show, my perspective was more about being strategic on who did which roadblocks. The other couples appeared to keep this in mind more so than Ralph and Vanessa did.

Dave and Rachel also had the shorter person (Rachel) doing the game show roadblock. I think Vanessa's biggest problem was the sprained ankle as she seems reasonably athletic, at least athletic enough to perform the task without a sprained ankle.

Cheetah0131

Cheetah0131

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 2:57 PM

After re-watching, it appears to me that the chicken height was adjusted to the height of the contestant. Vanessa's chickens appeared to be hanging lower than Brendon's chickens were.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 5:14 PM

I think Vanessa's biggest problem was the sprained ankle as she seems reasonably athletic, at least athletic enough to perform the task without a sprained ankle.

I wouldn't describe Vanessa as athletic, though no doubt that doing the roadblock would have been a lot easier without a sprained ankle.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 3:05 AM

MWolf posted the Vanessa and Ralph interview in the episode thread, but not here. So here it is.

I strongly dislike Vanessa (and like Ralph). And the interview made me dislike her even more. Which I hate to say, because if she is politically liberal, I'd want to like her.

I posted my skepticism about the ankle-taping comments in the episode thread. Just as I feel like she exaggerated a lot post-game regarding her ankle, I also feel she exaggerated and invented other stuff out of whole cloth.

Her "explanation" of how the feud began with Rachel is not credible. As Rachel and Brendon responded in their own defense, it's crazy to accuse them of harassing her about her political views on abortion, when they shared those views!

Additionally, if Vanessa were in fact talking politics on the race, Art and JJ would have distanced themselves from her post-haste, and she would have been a primary target of their ridicule. They made their political views clear enough, paraphrasing Herman Cain and Newt Gingrich (if not Barry Goldwater and perhaps even George Wallace) at every turn. So if Vanessa had "started talking about [her] political work" which she described as "fairly liberal and by 'fairly,' I mean pretty strongly liberal," her fight would not have been with Brenchel, but with Border Patrol.

I was also curious about Vanessa's "political work" - because as a rational Democrat, I would hope that she is not out there representing my views or my party. There are ZERO hits for her name and anything remotely related to politics. Everything she does and has done has been self-promotion. I couldn't find even charitable work, much less political activism or the kind of political activism she tried to link herself to in this article.

And this?

She's such a weak personality that anything that you say will just irk her to no end. She made it so easy. I mean, you tell me something, I kind of dust it off and it's not that big of a deal. Honestly, it's a behavior that I'm trying to modify. I didn't realize that my words would hurt people so much and seeing how vicious I could be while not even thinking twice about it and seeing it firsthand on camera has kind of opened my eyes a little bit to be nicer. So I'm being nicer.

I have a very, very hard time believing she is "being nicer". Especially when she goes on to say,

What was interesting was once I knew I could get under her skin, then it was more I dunno not like a pastime... (Laughs)

What a miserable woman!

Finally, it irks me when a team blames their lack of racing skills on bad luck. With Vanessa and Ralph, all their failures were not their fault. Simply bad luck. Ralph said, "As a team, we probably had the worst luck." I would have to think that other teams would disagree with them. It's never the fact that they couldn't see clues directly in front of their faces, or that they wandered for what, an hour? Trying to find the Hillary Clington stand. Or that they lost valuable time when Vanessa had a hissy fit at the castle. Nope, it's all bad luck.

My take-away: I am hoping that since she's from Texas, she thinks she's liberal because she supports Ron Paul or George W. Bush. I will keep telling myself that that is the case. ;-)

Edited by FrogsRule, May 11, 2012 @ 3:06 AM.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 1:29 PM

My take-away: I am hoping that since she's from Texas, she thinks she's liberal because she supports Ron Paul or George W. Bush. I will keep telling myself that that is the case. ;-)

Heh.

I never hated Vanessa (and really liked her in the beginning), but however the feud started, she certainly kept up her end of it. And truly, she came out looking petty and mean when it wasn't necessary. Kind of like the mean girl in high school. Except Vanessa is what...30, 31? And her excuse of "But I just want to say that there's nothing I said about her that other people didn't say. I just said it when the cameras were on" just makes her appear childish. Who cares who said what? You are responsible for what YOU say.

Though, I'm not that surprised that she didn't realize how she came off - people who cut to the quick like that and find it funny are generally not self-aware about it. I think that's why I had a hard time seeing her as truly self-deprecating. She could definitely be funny, but I also thought a good bit of what she said was off-the-cuff.

I also admit, Vanessa mentioning her political work made me blink in confusion. I just have a hard time believing that we wouldn't have seen at least a glimpse of that during the show, whether in episodes or online clips.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 1:08 AM

So she really is supposed to be 31? That's kind of young for such a frozen face.

Maybe she and Omarosa from the old days of the Apprentice can find some political work together. I'm sure they'd have a lot in common.

And her excuse of "But I just want to say that there's nothing I said about her that other people didn't say

So everyone went around saying they could see Rachel's hole? No wonder this was such a shitty season (no pun intended).

Edited by steve91199, May 12, 2012 @ 1:09 AM.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 6:25 AM

Yea! Vanessa's fifteen minutes of fame just got cut down to twelve minutes. She is no longer The Reigning Reality TV Queen of San Antonio. Kim Spradlin just passed her up by winning Survivor!

Hope Vanessa enjoyed it while she could. 'Cause Kim proved how a person can stay classy and play a game with more than a modicum of integrity.

yoshi

yoshi

Couch Potato

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 6:53 PM

Vanessa is a horrid twat. That is all that needs to be said.

Jyn

Jyn

Couch Potato

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 7:25 PM

Not really. I'd still take her over most of this season's cast.

Edited by Jyn, May 27, 2012 @ 7:26 PM.

yoshi

yoshi

Couch Potato

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 9:52 AM

You can have her then. I doubt you'll have to fight very hard.

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 3:12 PM

Not really. I'd still take her over most of this season's cast.

As would I. She was funny, proved that she was resilient by making it through the Japanese gameshow task on that busted ankle, and has always owned up to her faults. I really liked her, and Ralph was very likeable too. Contrast that to BB Rachel, who whined her way around the world and had all the emotional maturity of a spoiled toddler. I know which one I'd pick.

Overit

Overit

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 21, 2012 @ 4:17 PM

I think this may be a first. Ralph is now dating Jodi from TAR14. I can't remember anyone breaking up with their race partner and then start dating another racer. Hopefully they'll be happy!