Vanessa & Ralph

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

108 replies to this topic

Lamb18

Lamb18

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 12:51 PM

In addition to her behavior on the show, I don't like Vanessa because she looks like Kim Kardashian.

BettyPoz

BettyPoz

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 8:27 PM

In addition to her behavior on the show, I don't like Vanessa because she looks like Kim Kardashian.

That's so funny - I don't like her for the same reason!

We're discussing what she's done on the show - she's made me like Brendan and Rachel! I watched the first time they were on BB and alternately loved and hated them. Didn't watch the 2nd time. I have to say - they are working well together and Vanessa is such an overall rotten person that I will like anyone she hates. And really - "Angel"? He calls her Angel? Blech.

SirDigbyPollo

SirDigbyPollo

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 8:09 AM

And really - "Angel"? He calls her Angel? Blech.

Based on her less than angelic behavior, I think Ralph is being sarcastic when he calls her that. Or maybe he is trying to appeal to her better nature, which doesn't seem to exist.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 4:52 PM

I've assumed (since I've never bought them as a real couple) that calling her angel was the easiest way he could continue to sell their "relationship" without really acting like her boyfriend. Ralph seems to me to be Vanessa's TAR jigolo.

SirDigbyPollo

SirDigbyPollo

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 11:52 PM

Ralph seems to me to be Vanessa's TAR jigolo.

I got that feeling, too! I think she recruited him for TAR so that she'd have a strong, athletic partner to further her ambitions. In a number of the extra video clips, he seems to be completely done with her. It's difficult to see them as a real couple; there's a number of times when he's been totally disgusted by what's coming out of her mouth.

Chyna

Chyna

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 1:05 PM

It's also possible that Ralph has just started to see her true colors once on the Race. Wouldn't be the first time that happened.

bunnyface

bunnyface

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 3:21 PM

Am I the only one who thought that Vanessa simply didn’t know how to ride a bike and that it had nothing to do with the bike being “too tall?”

She didn’t seem able to steer the bike or balance on the bike. And doesn’t anybody to learned to ride a bike know how to stand on the pedals instead of sitting on the seat? Maybe it’s just because I learned to ride on a boys bike that was “too tall” or something. I also thought that she dismissed Ralph’s attempts to instruct her because she didn’t want to admit she couldn’t ride the bike.

I'm kind of going back a ways with this one. I also thought that she couldn't ride a bike and just didn't want to admit it. But then I was reminded today: Didn't they ride bikes in the opening of the first episode? They all rode on bikes with Phil. So if she was riding then, maybe she really did have a problem with that bike specifically. As much as I hate to give her any leeway...

stinamaia

stinamaia

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:11 AM

Thanks for reminding me of that!

It makes the bike episode in Africa so much more inexplicable.

BettyPoz

BettyPoz

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 5:21 PM

It makes the bike episode in Africa so much more inexplicable

I wonder if she could reach but not quite and was afraid if she lost her balance she'd smash her Vajayjay on the crossbar? I know I would be afraid of that!

stinamaia

stinamaia

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 1:21 PM

Most bikes these days have a crossbar. It doesn’t explain to me why she didn’t stand on the pedals and pump like you would normally if the pedals were a bit too far from the seat for you to reach. Maybe she’s been so fortunate as to always have a bike that fit her perfectly, but as kids we all had hand-me down bikes and so, I’m used to riding bikes that are less than ideal also on surfaces that are less than ideal.

BettyPoz

BettyPoz

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:02 PM

Most bikes these days have a crossbar. It doesn’t explain to me why she didn’t stand on the pedals and pump like you would normally if the pedals were a bit too far from the seat for you to reach. Maybe she’s been so fortunate as to always have a bike that fit her perfectly, but as kids we all had hand-me down bikes and so, I’m used to riding bikes that are less than ideal also on surfaces that are less than ideal.

(Explaining this as someone who has VERY short legs and who has smashed her v-j-j on said crossbars). Growing up many moons ago, girls bikes had a low angled cross bar and boys bikes had a high straight across bar. These days they're a little more "hybrid" but I recall the bikes in Africa were pretty old looking. With a boys bike and a high straight cross bar, if you don't fit on the bike and you have said VERY short legs, you can't just stand on the pedals and pump like you normally would, especially if some parts of the area you are riding is a dirt road and/or going uphill. I recall some of the other riders really pulling to go up hill. When I go up hill I'm sitting tight on the seat and using the handlebars to hold on tight and pedal hard. When I stand in the seat going uphill - especially on dirt roads - I lose traction in the tires. My fat butt gives the tires the extra weight to stay in contact with the ground. You're experience may differ.

At some point you're going to lose your balance and you have to pretty much fall off the bike sideways in order to avoid the "contact" between bike and body. It pains me to defend her but that's what I'm thinking.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 9:22 AM

Except...aren't BB Rachel and blonde Rachel about the same height as Vanessa? Maybe BB Rachel is a bit taller, but blonde Rachel looks pretty short. They weren't shown to have problems, so maybe it was just Vanessa.

BettyPoz

BettyPoz

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 10:09 AM

Except...aren't BB Rachel and blonde Rachel about the same height as Vanessa? Maybe BB Rachel is a bit taller, but blonde Rachel looks pretty short. They weren't shown to have problems, so maybe it was just Vanessa.

Good point!

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:52 PM

I'll just repeat what I said upthread: I understand why Vanessa and Ralph are no longer together.

Chyna

Chyna

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 10:30 PM

Wow--Vanessa is like the meanest Mean Girl in the high school, without the excuse of being a teenager. She's horrible.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 4:41 AM

I just posted the link with short recap of extra footage from the mat. Vanessa is beyond nasty. Ralph asked her to stop, so she lit into him. Class act, that Vanessa.

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 5:32 AM

Wow--Vanessa is like the meanest Mean Girl in the high school, without the excuse of being a teenager. She's horrible.

I like her a lot, personally. I don't think she's particularly mean (and as even BBRachel admitted on the mat, she's said nasty stuff about Vanessa too, which she has), and she at least has a sense of humor about herself and recognizes her bad points. She and Ralph are my favorite team left in this, even if they probably don't have much chance of winning.

Ficus

Ficus

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 1:40 PM

It looked to me like the camera person running along with Vanessa clipped her heel, and that's why she fell. The camera kept getting closer to her and then she went down.

Edited by Ficus, Apr 30, 2012 @ 1:41 PM.

Beloved Aunt

Beloved Aunt

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 10:57 PM

Ralph is a good dude. Happy to hear that he and Vanessa broke up because he deseves better.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 7:36 AM

I did feel bad for Vanessa during the roadblock, though I do think how they ended up was a good lesson on why it's important to balance your roadblocks as much as possible. Even if they got to F3, would she have had to do the final roadblock?

Chyna

Chyna

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:58 AM

I did feel bad for Vanessa during the roadblock, though I do think how they ended up was a good lesson on why it's important to balance your roadblocks as much as possible.

Bingo--I thought the same thing. There were a few times that she made him do Roadblocks that didn't require physical strength, and I think that was a mistake. When you've got a partner as muscley as Ralph, you need to try and save him for the physical task. I think that rubber chicken task would have been better for him regardless of the ankle, because he wouldn't have needed to jump to reach the chickens. But as much as I can't stand Vanessa, I was impressed that she completed the task on that f-ed up ankle.

Cheetah0131

Cheetah0131

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 11:14 AM

This was my least favorite team, but I can't fault them on their roadblock balance. They were 5-4, so even if Ralph was the one with four, there was no guarantee the next roadblock would be more suited to him than to Vanessa. And Vanessa's injury not withstanding, I think Ralph is the one who would have had a harder time with the sledding roadblock, if they had made it that far. He has quite a wide body to try to balance on such a narrow sled.

jersey guy 87

jersey guy 87

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 1:17 PM

This was my least favorite team, but I can't fault them on their roadblock balance. They were 5-4, so even if Ralph was the one with four, there was no guarantee the next roadblock would be more suited to him than to Vanessa. And Vanessa's injury not withstanding, I think Ralph is the one who would have had a harder time with the sledding roadblock, if they had made it that far. He has quite a wide body to try to balance on such a narrow sled.

I agree about the roadblock balance - to have balance it would have to be either 5-4 Ralph-Vanessa or 5-4 Vanessa-Ralph. Which is better heading into the second-to-last task? That seems pretty much a coin toss to me, the coin came up the wrong way for them. It doesn't mean they planned poorly (if it was 6-3 they would have planned poorly), it means they guessed wrong. It happens.

I really don't understand why Vanessa didn't have her ankle taped/wrapped for support, though. Even if she was worried that medical was going to tell her she had to stop she could have bought an Ace bandage or something to wrap it herself, couldn't she?

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 3:44 PM

I found Vanessa highly entertaining but sometimes very annoying, but watching her fight through that Game Show challenge with an ankle that was clearly injured and very painful, all I could do was admire her. The woman has some cojones, for sure.

I'm actually sorry she and Ralph broke up. They were so sweet at the elimination mat and you could see they really care about each other.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 5:21 PM

I really don't understand why Vanessa didn't have her ankle taped/wrapped for support, though. Even if she was worried that medical was going to tell her she had to stop she could have bought an Ace bandage or something to wrap it herself, couldn't she?

You'd think so, wouldn't you? After all, she was a cheerleader. Not to mention that Ralph was a firefighter and a MMA professional.

Between the two of them, I'd have thought that if it were really serious, they'd have had the common sense to know how to take care of it.

Chyna

Chyna

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 6:22 PM

And Vanessa's injury not withstanding, I think Ralph is the one who would have had a harder time with the sledding roadblock, if they had made it that far. He has quite a wide body to try to balance on such a narrow sled.

But if they'd gone to the final leg, it probably wouldn't have panned out that way. The Roadblock counts didn't matter anymore by the time they got to the ice-shaving task, so the two M/F teams left had the guy do that task since it seemed to require upper body strength. Thus, it worked out well for them that the sledding task clue dictated that the Racer who *didn't* do the ice-shaving had to sled--a task that was better suited to women (or at least physically smaller people). There's no way Vanessa would have done the ice shaving, so she would have ended up sledding.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:18 PM

The thing with the roadblock balance was that Vanessa HAD to take the gameshow roadblock, correct? Because of the imbalance. It's entirely possible that if Ralph had done it, he might have finished ahead of Brendon and blonde Rachel, thus potentially securing them a spot in the Final 3. The final leg would have been a bit easier for Vanessa, I think, since neither roadblock required running. Sure, you don't know what roadblocks are ahead of you, no team does. But that's why it's a good idea to be strategic when you can about who does which ones.

jersey guy 87

jersey guy 87

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:58 PM

The thing with the roadblock balance was that Vanessa HAD to take the gameshow roadblock, correct? Because of the imbalance. It's entirely possible that if Ralph had done it, he might have finished ahead of Brendon and blonde Rachel, thus potentially securing them a spot in the Final 3. The final leg would have been a bit easier for Vanessa, I think, since neither roadblock required running. Sure, you don't know what roadblocks are ahead of you, no team does. But that's why it's a good idea to be strategic when you can about who does which ones.

Virtually all of the teams commented on the fact that the roadblocks for their team had been split 5-4. There was no way they could be balanced unless a team had skipped a roadblock due to a fast forward or express pass. Ralph and Vanessa had neither, so one of them was going to have to do that roadblock to get back to an even split heading into the final leg.

I understand people don't like Ralph and Vanessa, but blaming them for not having evenly split nine roadblocks is silly.

Shades of Red

Shades of Red

Video Archivist

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 5:39 AM

I had heard that R/V were broken up post-Race, but now I just read that the two broke up minutes after their elimination. How hilarious, if true. Couldn't have had a thing to do with her behavior during the Race, I'm sure.

She did admirably tough it out on that ankle, but was a horrible person throughout the Race. Some role model to Ralph's daughter, as she claimed to aspire to early on. Heh.

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 6:19 AM

I found Vanessa highly entertaining but sometimes very annoying, but watching her fight through that Game Show challenge with an ankle that was clearly injured and very painful, all I could do was admire her. The woman has some cojones, for sure.

I really admired her for it too. She's certainly not a quitter. I wish she and Ralph had made the final instead of Team Big Whiner.