Brendon & Rachel

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

135 replies to this topic

dryedmangoez

dryedmangoez

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 3:53 PM

They've definitely delivered. They've been hilarious, but also strong competitors. They've delivered the crazy drama, but have also been great when calm and just enjoying the Race.

Chyna

Chyna

Stalker

Posted Mar 26, 2012 @ 10:53 PM

What I don't get is that they seem to do some pretty difficult and stressful tasks with a minimum of drama, and then banal, everyday tasks like map-reading and parallel parking sends them into a tailspin. Rachel seems like a relatively strong woman--I wish she'd act like one.

Zach808

Zach808

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 3:54 PM

I'm pretty sure Rachel is just hamming it up to the cameras. The whining seems so over the top and ill-timed that it just can't be real.

starrynight71

starrynight71

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 2:54 AM

It's an entertainment show so they all do things for the cameras. They will exaggerate their feelings, but I don't think any of them are completely fake. The cameras being in their face all the time will mean it is not a natural environment and the producers will also encourage rivalries and stories. I think Rachel is coming across as one of the bigger characters and those who have been eliminated haven't. Hope she gets right to the end of this series.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 12:37 AM

I realized tonight that Rachel is a few dreadlocks and a slight touch more makeup away from being a credible Boy George impersonator.

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 7:00 AM

I realized tonight that Rachel is a few dreadlocks and a slight touch more makeup away from being a credible Boy George impersonator.

Heh! She so could be a Boy George impersonator!

These two come across as such hypocrites. "We've never said anything mean about [Ralph and Vanessa]!" What, apart from when you asked if 31-year-old Vanessa was 38? Or a few legs back when you called her a ho'? "We've never done anything to the Border Patrol!" What, apart from through the first leg when Brendon kept loudly saying "I hate the Border Patrol!" before he'd even met them?

Vanessa was right - Rachel can dish it out, but she can't take it. Ugh. These two can't get off my screen fast enough. I think they're vile.

starrynight71

starrynight71

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 8:42 AM

Without Vanessa there I think Rachel could do even better in this show, so hopefully Vanessa and Ralph won't last too much longer.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 9:24 AM

Vanessa, though a bitch she may be, actually admits that she's a bitch. Rachel either pretends that she never says anything bad about anybody (except, you know, behind Vanessa's back) or she genuinely forgets, which means that she should probably go to a doctor for potential short term memory loss. But Vanessa is right about one thing; Rachel has extreme (and I mean EXTREME) self esteem issues. She doesn't cry/whine because of other people, but because she's not confident in her own skin. She needs help ASAP, and Brendon should be helping her through those issues instead of babying her. Speaking of Brendon, how did he get so likeable on this show? I hated him last season on BB and now I don't mind him.

But this team is starting to grow on me. They're better people than Art/JJ and it sucks that I want this team, Bopper/Mark and Nary/Jamie to be final three.

stinamaia

stinamaia

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 12:30 PM

I like them better than I expected. I actually like Brendon quite a bit. Rachel is only annoying to me when she gets in the helpless/giving up mode which seems to decrease as the season progresses.

I donít know why Vanessa wants to make snide comments about Rachel, but Rachel is wrong to get into it with Vanessa. Rachel should ignore Vanessa.

I also donít think that someoneís admitting their meanness somehow makes their meanness more excusable. For me, someone who intends to be mean is more disagreeable, but I understand that self awareness is normally a good thing.

BrookeM

BrookeM

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 3:58 PM

but I understand that self awareness is normally a good thing.

I agree with your whole post, and also about self awareness. However, I think it is only a good thing if you actually use that self awareness to try to be a better person. She's vile. I do not see ONE redeeming quality about that woman (vanessa).

I don't mind Rachel until she starts crying or pretending to cry, although those pointed insults regarding her appearance were terribly hurtful. One doesn't have to have low self esteem for those kinds of selective, cruel remarks to hurt, and Vanessa knows that. She meant to cut her to the quick. That's not even HS behavior. It's the meanest of the girls in junior high.

Edited by BrookeM, Apr 9, 2012 @ 4:00 PM.

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 6:12 AM

I don't mind Rachel until she starts crying or pretending to cry, although those pointed insults regarding her appearance were terribly hurtful. One doesn't have to have low self esteem for those kinds of selective, cruel remarks to hurt, and Vanessa knows that. She meant to cut her to the quick. That's not even HS behavior. It's the meanest of the girls in junior high. - BrookeM

So it wasn't mean or HS of Rachel to mock-innocently ask if Vanessa was seven years older than her actual age in the airport, or to call Vanessa a "ho" back in Turin? Rachel just pretends to cry, acts like the victim and lies that she never said anything bad about people, and thinks that excuses her own bitchiness. Rachel's bitchy, famewhore presence is really spoiling this season of TAR for me.

Chyna

Chyna

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 8:33 AM

So it wasn't mean or HS of Rachel to mock-innocently ask if Vanessa was seven years older than her actual age in the airport, or to call Vanessa a "ho" back in Turin?

Exactly. Both of them are acting like the meanest girls in the middle school. Hate them both.

fivestone

fivestone

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 9:16 AM

But this team is starting to grow on me. They're better people than Art/JJ and it sucks that I want this team, Bopper/Mark and Nary/Jamie to be final three.

Yep. All this season, I couldn't stand them, and actually didn't even watch the last episode because I knew they weren't going to get eliminated. But with all the antics from other teams (Art/JJ, Vanessa, etc.), they're coming up as (lord help me) one of the more likeable teams. Rachel's no saint, but she's a lot more mature than Vanessa, who is just cruel. And Brenchel has been nice to Bopper/Mark and Nary/Jamie. So, while I don't just love them, I'm actually OK with them now.

Edited by fivestone, Apr 10, 2012 @ 9:17 AM.

BrookeM

BrookeM

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 2:18 PM

So it wasn't mean or HS of Rachel to mock-innocently ask if Vanessa was seven years older than her actual age in the airport, or to call Vanessa a "ho" back in Turin?

I'm not saying that Rachel is a pillar of sainthood here, but I have a pretty strong opinion that Vanessa had those comments coming to her. No, it doesn't justify saying the things Rachel said because she doesn't have to lower herself to vanessa's level, but out of the two of them, just knowing Vanessa would act this way when Ralphs's daughter will be watching (and of course all of his daughter's friends), tells me what kind of a woman she is. That's all I need to know.

IMO, Nothing admirable about that woman. She's an entitled brat, who it is so obvious to me is used to getting her own way, and being the center of her princess universe. She doesn't like to share, and I may be going out on a limb here as this is just speculation as to what she is like at home, but I would not want her as my step mother. Ugh.

Edited by BrookeM, Apr 10, 2012 @ 2:20 PM.

stinamaia

stinamaia

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 2:24 PM

I agree that Rachel would come off looking a lot better if she simply ignored Vanessaís remarks. When she engages, she comes off looking very bad. I liked it better that time when Brendon and Rachel left the task rather than being around Vanessa who was smirking and making remarks about Rachel. Clearly, these two donít get along and apparently neither is sufficiently mature enough behave decently.

Other than these incidents with Vanessa, which I do not like from either woman, I enjoy the team for the most part with a few exceptions. Even leaving aside the encounters with Rachel, I do not enjoy the Ralph/Vanessa team and most of that is because of Vanessaís behavior.

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 3:09 AM

Oh, Rachel. When two entire Big Brother casts and an entire Amazing Race cast seem to hate you with the passion of a thousands burning suns... THEY'RE not the problem.

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 4:09 AM

Oh, Rachel. When two entire Big Brother casts and an entire Amazing Race cast seem to hate you with the passion of a thousands burning suns... THEY'RE not the problem.

Oh word. It's like in this last leg where Rachel was telling people to drink their "haterade". Yeah, people don't like you because they're haters Rachel, not because you're a whiny, annoying douche or anything.

I can't believe I had to watch her whining and "crying" yet again this leg when they were carting the water around. You might think seeing all these people around her who don't have amenities like fresh water in their homes that we take for granted would give her a dose of humility, but apparently not. Just whine and cry because you got a boo-boo on your leg Rachel. I can't remember a racer I hated more.

steve91199

steve91199

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 4:20 AM

I don't really like her very much, but I'm not sure if all the BB and TAR people dislike her. This season has so many unpleasant racers that I am not sure I would even want to like someone they like.

starrynight71

starrynight71

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 2:16 PM

They seem to want to focus on virtually every little impatience. Even on this last leg they didn't focus on whatever wound she had picked up, they only cut in a quite edit of her being upset at it.

dryedmangoez

dryedmangoez

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 6:58 PM

I think it's pretty telling that Brendon & Rachel get along with all the "nice" teams (i.e., Kentucky, "Teachers," Kerri & Stacy, Clowns) and are genuine friends with them, yet the only people who have a problem with them are the ones who have been largely negative about various things (in addition to being anti-Brenchel).

That is absolutely not true. The only teams who "hate" Rachel are Vanessa (& Ralph to a lesser degree) and Art & JJ. On Big Brother, her biggest adversary Ragan is now one of her best friends. Kristen, who drew out the now immortal "floaters" line from Rachel, is now cool with her. A Daniele Donato or a Vanessa does not represent their entire respective casts.

keram

keram

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:33 PM

I come from a land where I had to deal with Rachel and Brendon on BB for two consecutive years. As a result, I openly root for their demise in the most humiliating way, as well as Vanessa giving Rachel the shit I feel she deserves for her horrible behavior on BB.

One of her biggest crimes on BB was that she could out-mean girl the best of any BB contestant who ever appeared in the history of the show. Yet, when someone gives it back to her, she comes unglued, looking for sympathy and whining to anyone who didn't run in the opposite direction, that she is the victim. When she didn't get sympathy, she'd get even more hysterical and annoying.

I hope India reduces her to a puddle of blubbering, sanctimonious, hypocritical puddle of tears.

I, for one, will point and laugh.

Edited by keram, Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:34 PM.

starrynight71

starrynight71

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 7:39 AM

I like how they have helped out their allies in the race, whether Bopper and Mark or Nary and Jamie. Can't say I've seen the same from the Vanessa/Ralph/Art/JJ/Dave/Rachel groups. Haters will hate but there has been plenty of good things to see from Brendan and Rachel and they will be one of the more liked teams among the other teams at the end of all this whether some people here want to admit it or not.

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 4:14 AM

And again with the crying and whining, this time in India (and from the looks of it, yet again next leg over her supposedly $5,000 hair extensions. Could have fooled me - they look more like 50 cent hair extensions!)... this team annoy me more than any I can remember in recent years. They certainly won't be one of my liked teams, in any way, shape or form.

And "Let's do the baseball!"? Idiots.

pooki pichu

pooki pichu

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 12:10 PM

Errr, like several other posters have commented, I'm not seeing where Brendon has a bad temper or is nasty, vindictive, etc. It seems like people are carrying baggage from a different show? If anything Brendon has been way too conciliatory, and extremely patient with the neurotic meltdowns, whining and crying of Rachel. He actually seems quite bright, much brighter than Rachel and a seems like a decent guy.

Like someone else said, run Brendon, run.

stinamaia

stinamaia

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 12:22 PM

Brendon seems extremely patient with Rachel, and he also seems to love her. I think itís a pretty successful recipe for a long-term relationship to focus on the good things about a person and to accept the faults without complaint ó or at least only minor complaint.

Iíd suggest Rachel and Dave try it out.

fashionista79

fashionista79

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 1:57 PM

One of her biggest crimes on BB was that she could out-mean girl the best of any BB contestant who ever appeared in the history of the show.

I disagree with this. Granted, I only saw their first season, but while Rachel could be annoying, she never bothered me as much as Kristen did or the way Brittany (was that her name?) did. I found those two, Brittany in particular, to be simply awful. In fact, I think Brittany's behavior was way more atrocious than Rachel's ever could have been. That coupled with Brittany's inexplicable misogyny made it so that I couldn't wait for her to be voted out of the house.

So, in my estimation, Rachel is nowehre on par with Brittany. And funny enough, I find Vanessa to be like Brittany in that regard. Vanessa is under the (mistaken) impression that being crass is funny and makes her "one of the guys" or something. Her focus on Rachel in the beginning of the race made me scratch my head because I couldn't understand why she was particularly worried about Rachel as opposed to focusing on getting her set of tasks done.

I think I said it in one of the episode threads, and someone in this thread has also said it: That Rachel and Brendon didn't have a problem with Mark and Bopper, Nary and Jamie, and the Mississippi cousins, some of the easier going teams, if you ask me, says that there's some other stuff going on with JJ and Art and Vanessa and Ralph (Ralph to a lesser extent) that have less to do with Rachel and Brendon and more to do with those particular teams.

keram

keram

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 2:26 AM

fashionista79, I appreciate your insight, but my question to you would be how did you base your opinion? I am a member of a website that posts live feed recaps of BB. In fact, for the last 8 years, I have recapped live feed recaps of BB. On the website, I have pretty much read every single post, detailing everything that has occurred in real time. I can also report that, on this website, there is not one single member (out of about 100 posters) who supports the malignant tumor that is Brendon ...

Not! One!

I can also tell you that, during these 8 years, I have probably watched about 3 episodes of BB on network TV. My point is that these broadcast shows are extremely edited to promote story lines that TPTB feel best promote ratings; the shows are not indicative of what happens in the BB House.

I've witnessed Brendon and Rachel on the BB live feeds. They are horrible. Rachel is a needy, co-dependent witch, who could Out-Mean Girl anyone, and cry her eyes out when someone takes a shot at her. Brendon is a mean, vindictive son-of-a-bitch who delighted in the fact that one of his ex BB house mate's house burned down. According to him, such a tragedy was "karma" ... she deserved it. That's right; he reveled in her tragedy.

She's a bitch. He's a prick.

Edited by keram, Apr 24, 2012 @ 2:34 AM.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 3:23 AM

keram, to me this is a weakness of stunt casting. I didn't watch Big Brother, so I have no preconceived notions about Brenchel. All I know about them is what I see on TAR (and the extra clips).

From a post further upthread, you state you're rooting for Vanessa. But Vanessa has the benefit of no additional context. I would bet that if we were able to see Vanessa's "work" on the local San Antonio reality TV show Urban Jungle, we could be persuaded to see her same as you see Rachel - as a famewhore who's not a pleasure to be around.

I completely and fully understand where you're coming from. If Ben Wade ("Coach" from Survivor) showed up on TAR, I would be angry as hell with TAR casting people, and I would actively root against the man, no matter how good he appeared to be on TAR. He ruined too many seasons of Survivor for me to be able to cut him a break in any new endeavor.

So I can see how you feel the same way about Brenchel.

Just saying though, that those of us with *no* BB viewing history take both Brendon and Rachel as we see them here. And in this season of TAR, they get along with all the teams I deem good: Mark-Bopper, Nary-Jamie, Joey-Danny; they are beginning to develop a nice, friendly relationship with Dave-Rachel. And they don't get along with the two teams I really dislike: Art-JJ, and Vanessa-Ralph.

It is therefore possible that Brendon and Rachel have grown up a bit since BB days. Add to that that TAR is a completely different environment from the toxic house that is Big Brother (it's basic medicine and science that people are healthier both mentally and physically when they get large doses of aerobic exercise). And we may be talking apples and oranges, comparing Brenchel on BB to Brenchel on TAR.

All of the above said: I do wish that TAR would quit this silly stunt casting. It brings absolutely nothing positive to the table.

fashionista79

fashionista79

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 5:55 AM

keram, while I never paid for the live feeds, I did read the live feed threads, and I did watch the YouTube clips that were posted. It's how I came to my opinion that Britney was more awful, because if I went by what was only broadcast, I would have come away thinking that Britney wasn't so bad.

I did find Brendon overbearing, and my previous post never implied that I didn't. I was speaking about Rachel, and how I came to the conclusion that Kristen and Britney were not all that great, especially in comparison to Rachel, and that between Britney and Rachel, I rooted for Rachel because I didn't find her nasty like I found Britney. It's from reading the live feed discussions and watching the YT clips of the live feeds that has made me confident in drawing a parallel between Britney and Vanessa with their obsessions over Rachel's body and their overall crass behavior as it regards that. So, I'm not uninformed in the slightest.

I find Rachel to be a hell of a lot better than Vanessa.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:49 PM

I'm grateful never to have watched Big Brother. Because on THIS show, Rachel isn't that bad. She's whiny, and her passive aggressive BS with Brendon early on was annoying. Still, she seems to enjoy the experience of the race, and he's very supportive of her. Brendon was clearly annoyed with her for opting out of the Fast Forward, but he handled the best way by not arguing and just focusing on the rest of the race. Maybe if there was no Vanessa, I'd be more annoyed with Rachel. As it stands, not so much.

As for Rachel not wanting to shave her head - can't say I agree with it, but as a woman, I get it. And since Rachel clearly has some insecurities about her looks, she couldn't get passed it to get it done. Plus, I wonder if she knew how far behind Mark and Bopper were, and that factored into her decision. I hope she is willing to sacrifice if need be moving forward, though.