Mark & Bopper

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

84 replies to this topic

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:34 PM

I don't know if the guys read this thread, but I have to say it: Thanks. Thanks for being fun to watch. Thanks for being true to yourselves. Thanks for rebounding from a last-place finish to first. And thanks for not being like the four sets of assholes we'll have to see fight for a million bucks they probably don't deserve. While those teams make becoming couples look like a bad idea, you two showed how awesome friendship is. Really, thanks for everything.

By the way, has there ever been an interracial male team before Mark & Bopper. The only ones I can think of are Andre & Damon from TAR3, since Andre was black and Damon was really black.

kelric

kelric

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:38 PM

It's too bad that they couldn't make it to the finale -- they were the bright spot in the cast, for sure. To think that in the first episode I thought that I'd get tired of them really soon. Boy, was I wrong. Instead, their infectious enthusiasm for the race and their friendship and support for each other made the season. Congratulations to them on a great run.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 8:43 PM

Eh, even though I was hoping against hope that they could beat Border Patrol to the mat, I'm not that sad to see them gone. They should have been put out of their misery in the previous leg, and I will not miss Bopper's camera mugging. They are hardly the only decent team left, as far as I'm concerned. They seem like nice guys, though, so I hope everything works out for them on the homefront.

Chyna

Chyna

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 10:29 PM

To think that in the first episode I thought that I'd get tired of them really soon. Boy, was I wrong. Instead, their infectious enthusiasm for the race and their friendship and support for each other made the season.

Agreed--I was prepared to be annoyed by them and they completely won me over.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 10:49 PM

Just want to get this out of the way: if there's an "all-star" season, I'd want these two back . . . on the condition that Bopper's leg is in good shape and Mark gets his carsickness under control. With our luck, they'd probably fare worse than Dave & Mary, the original "Team Kentucky."

BK1978

BK1978

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 1:44 AM

Just want to get this out of the way: if there's an "all-star" season, I'd want these two back . . . on the condition that Bopper's leg is in good shape and Mark gets his carsickness under control. With our luck, they'd probably fare worse than Dave & Mary, the original "Team Kentucky."

I agree with this,they wre hands down my favorite team to watch this season and I hope if there ever is another All-Star type season that they will come back. I usually do not feel bad when teams that I like lose on TAR but tonight I was actaully sad to see these guys go.

I just wanted to thank Mark and Bopper for being awesome and doing you family, Kentucky, heck the United States proud.

seawolff

seawolff

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 11:03 AM

While they are already winners by virtue of being awesome, why can't we literally make them winners? Where do we send the donations?

NYC2007

NYC2007

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 11:29 AM

I watch TAR with my kids. I'm glad Mark and Bopper heard us screaming at the TV to go for the FF. Sorry it didn't work out like we wanted - Mark and Bopper in the final.

I hope casting is paying attention. We like drama - Mark and Bopper bought us drama, but in a good way. There was no sniping at your teammate or other teams, no stirring the pot by tattling on other teams, just good old fun.

Sorry to see them go.

heydude08

heydude08

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 11:34 AM

It was nice to be following a team that was decent and never spoke unkindly of others. They didn't seem focused towards the end and seemed to be just taking their sweet time to the end. Was SO hoping they would beat out the two cops, who IMHO are hard to watch with their pettiness.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 4:50 PM

I was chanting at the tv for them to make it - and for a few minutes I thought they might overtake AJ and Art, but they were just too far behind from the very beginning of the leg.

They were a class act from beginning to end. I never disliked them, but my moderate liking at the beginning just grew and grew into a kind of love, and lots of admiration for their pluck, their overall enthusiasm for everything they encountered, their humility, and their absolute avoidance of trash talk and pettiness. I hope that somehow the connections they made on the Race translate into finding some help for Bopper's child, and their community as a whole. They're wonderful people, who privileged an enduring friendship over a game. Just... infinitely classy.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 5:57 PM

Since the Commonwealth of Kentucky seems to be working to move up from its 47th place in U.S. educational rankings, I would hope that the Governor of Kentucky enlists Bopper and Mark in that endeavor. In their post-elimination clips, they seemed genuinely awed by all they had seen on the race, their horizons forever broadened and outlook changed for good.

If more people "got" how critical travel abroad is for a well-rounded education, for understanding our place (individually and nationally) in the world, for coming to grips with handling divergent opinions and seeing things from both sides - well, it would make the world a better place. Once you leave our borders and the comfort zone the U.S. provides us, it's impossible to return home the same person you were when you left. [It kills me to see parents spend $5000 on a trip to Disney World for their families, when that same $5000 could pay for a wonderful trip to Europe or South America or the Middle East.]

So I would like to see Bopper and Mark communicate their newfound wonder and awe to children in Kentucky, perhaps even convincing the Kentucky state legislature to allocate more funds to study abroad programs, something to harness and channel their immense energy.

TryingHarder

TryingHarder

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 4:11 AM

In an interview, Mark and Bopper said they would do All Stars if they were asked. Also, when he got back, Mark lost his job. Even though his boss said he would get it when he returned.

catherinejbr

catherinejbr

Channel Surfer

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 10:37 AM

While they are already winners by virtue of being awesome, why can't we literally make them winners? Where do we send the donations?

I have never felt compelled to send money to anyone on TV, but after Sunday's episode, I've been searching online trying to find out if anyone has started a fund for these guys. Then to find out that Mark lost his job when he got back from the race... these guys were just a joy to watch.

Has anyone heard of a fund starting up for them? If not, how could we start one for them?

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 3:22 PM

Maybe a "ChipIn" fund through Pay Pal could be started? I've never started one, but I've donated to ones started by others. Does anyone know how to do this?

Upthread (I think that's where I saw it) there is also an article that talks about the work Bopper does to hold the coal mining operation accountable. They probably need money for the legal work involved in that, and maybe there's also a fund already set up for that organization, too.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 7:06 PM

Mark and Bopper are going to be on The Talk tomorrow (Thursday). I'll be at work, but I plan on taping it.

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:52 AM

So no one to root for now?

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 11:11 PM

Bopper & Mark had one segment on The Talk. They spoke with Julie Chen and the black lady, and they gave the Kentuckians a giant novelty check for $10,000. Is it odd that I find it a bit weird to be rewarding the guys? I mean, they were entertaining as heck, and both of them have gotten smacked around by life lately, but it just feels . . . I don't know . . . off.

Curious: where did the name "Bopper" come from?

Edited by Lantern7, May 3, 2012 @ 11:12 PM.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 2:00 AM

Considering what Mark and Bopper probably did for their ratings, $10,000 was peanuts. I mean, if Gail Collins watches TAR... !

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 4:00 AM

I also taped The Talk. That is how much I like Mark and Bopper.

One thing that came out in the interview was that Mark did not know he had motion sickness before going on the race. He said he'd had it as a child but thought he'd outgrown it. But it turned out that the reason he had not been motion sick in ages is because he was always the one driving (many people don't get motion sick when they drive, only when they are a passenger). And he only figured out that he was still susceptible to motion sickness once he was already on the race. He said he would have come prepared, and brought dramamine or something if he'd known.

Bopper showed off his freshly grown head of hair. He says he can dance and if he hadn't had a cracked femur, he would definitely have done the Bollywood roadblock and he would have smoked it. He kind of did a little flirty shimmy move from his interview chair when he said this. I thought they were going to do a segment showing him making good on that assertion, but alas! The Talk seems to be all talk, no dancing.

Some of the hosts did seem to have watched the show, but they didn't act familiar with any of the stuff surrounding it, like what had been said in interviews or extra videos and such. Definitely not TWoPpers!

Actually, the interviewers made me really uncomfortable, guffawing and acting kind of... I don't know what word to use... un-natural? They seemed to like Mark and Bopper but to also be super-uncomfortable around them, too. One of them started talking in an accent and then stopped herself and asked where that had come from. It looked like Mark and Bopper also felt like she was being kind of rude and off-putting, and they didn't quite know how to react to her. They were too polite and media savvy to call her out on how weird she was being, but I don't think I'm projecting when I say they felt a little at a loss for how to handle some bizarre host behavior.

Edited by possibilities, May 4, 2012 @ 4:06 AM.

bunnyface

bunnyface

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:59 AM

The host who was acting strange is from the south somewhere (Arkansas, Mississippi maybe?). I got the impression she was saying she had reverted back to her natural accent with them around, which she had worked to tone down. That said, I do think she was acting oddly and that Mark and Bopper didn't seem all that comfortable. But I'm not sure how comfortable they would have been in any situation like that. They did seem touched and grateful about the money though.

soapygirl

soapygirl

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 7:03 PM

I finally watched this past episode. I'm sad to see this team go. I was rooting for them to win and get the help they need for their kids.

I can't believe that the FF didn't save them, I was so hoping to see them edge out Art and JJ who just get more obnoxious with every episode. Also Mark's response to finding out he had to get his head shaved was hilarious and then Bopper really looked fine with a shaved head.

Chyna

Chyna

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 10:24 PM

I loved that at the Final Mat, all the women were affectionately rubbing Bopper's shaved head.

Kolaka

Kolaka

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 6:32 AM

They have a good post-elimination TV Guide interview where they talk about their friendship and their interactions with the other teams. They really seem like down to earth guys.

Unfortunately, Mark lost his job when he got back from the Race. Assuming it was because he was on the Race, that really sucks - I know it's a chance you take when you go, but still.

When we went on the show to better the lives of our families, I had a pretty good job and the guy told me I would keep it, but as soon as I got back from the Race, I lost my job. I ain't gonna lie: It's been real tough for us. Me and my family are really struggling. But I don't worry about it because I've got Bopper and my friends. Everyone talks about how close our friendship is.

Aspen

Aspen

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 28, 2012 @ 7:48 AM

Any word on whether Mark has been able to find a new (and hopefully better) job?

And can I just say I find Bopper really cute?

Edited by Aspen, May 28, 2012 @ 7:51 AM.

hockeypuck2

hockeypuck2

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 2, 2013 @ 6:00 AM

Interesting story I can further report on this topic:  http://www.kentucky....by-federal.html#  Mark didn't lose his job because being on the race.  He lost it because he was a political appointee and that's what happens when the benefactor leaves office.