Rachel & Dave

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

83 replies to this topic

BrookeM

BrookeM

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 8:50 PM

She does bug when she just gets sarcastic for no reason...when Dave is merely trying to point out something to be corrected -- and is right.

She does do that. Quite a bit.

This works for them, I don't really see a huge problem with their relationship. i think it would be so hard to be on this race with my DH. We get along great, but repeated and prolonged stress would definitely cause some bickering and short tempers with us. I would not do this race with him (nor would he with me, lol), yet we're happily married 28 years.

Being a former military spouse myself, my DH was often gone for weeks and months at a time. It is hard to adjust to being back together and having to compromise and give and take and consider someone other than yourself (in a relationship sort of way). You get used to not dealing with that. They jumped into the race pretty fast after he came back. I would never have recommended that, but I think they seem to be doing fine.

Edited by BrookeM, Apr 16, 2012 @ 8:51 PM.

sinycalone

sinycalone

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:42 PM

In one of the latest video clips at CBS, Dave/Rachel and Bopper/Mark talk to Phil and each other on the mat about the win for Team Kentucky -- and it's a lot different than they showed last night. Both teams seem to respect and like each other, and Phil appears to enjoy their chatting. Of course, I know what they featured last night was more dramatic -- but it was actually misleading. There was no animosity -- and you can see Dave is really proud of Rachel.

ItsJessMe

ItsJessMe

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 3:09 PM

There was no animosity -- and you can see Dave is really proud of Rachel.

Wow, I didn't get that at all!! Didn't Dave say something about having to pick Rachel up and drag her across the finish line? Am I totally misremembering?

sinycalone

sinycalone

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 3:40 PM

If you watched the full clip of the mat interaction...not just the first short one -- you can see the total picture of their conversation and Phil's comments. The actual episode deleted almost all of that.

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 4:24 AM

I laughed my ass off when, after Rachel hit the poles during the tuk-tuk driving and Dave was rolling his eyes and made her shift out so he could have his turn, that he then hit a pole too! He stayed strangely silent then. And all that "You should listen to your husband" stuff was way annoying. Doing a driving challenge has to be one of the worst tasks you could have to do with a romantic race partner. I dread to think how me and my boyfriend would be doing one.

As much as I find Dave a little insufferable and like he has a stick up his ass, these two are a strong team and they seem to have a good chance of winning. I think a lot of that is down to Rachel, who's been pretty kick-ass throughout the race.

Chyna

Chyna

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:07 AM

Dave was a little less insufferable this time around--I hope it's because he's slowly learning to be pleasant and not just because of the editing.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 4:52 PM

I think he was pleasant and supportive because they nailed every beat of the leg and took another first place finish. He's much nicer when they're winning.

I love Rachel, and hope that either Dave learns that she's his wife, not one of his troops, or she learns to do without him.

sinycalone

sinycalone

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 6:47 PM

I think they are both learning that adjustments have to made after being separated while he was deployed to Iraq. In one of the post race videos, Phil says he thinks they seem to be growing together (unlike Art & JJ who seem to be disconnecting.). Rachel responded that the Race has helped Dave to open up more about his experiences. Dave is also making more jokes during those clips. The shouting by Rachel in the previews might have bothered me more in the early stages of the Race -- but now I figure they both tend to blow off steam, then get over it. Hope that's true.

Cheetah0131

Cheetah0131

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 11:46 AM

They were smart to think of paying the ferry operator to leave early. And it paid off to the tune of $20,000!

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:00 PM

I'm so happy for this team! Winning it all even after bad taxi luck and being dropped off at the wrong place? Then having to go back and do the roadblock? AWESOME.

sinycalone

sinycalone

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:03 PM

Well, they won 8 legs...the new record. They were a great team...having to do that roadblock again was just another hill for them to climb.

Yea, Dave and Rachel...you kicked ass.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:15 PM

It's always nice to see competence rewarded on the race. I thought ill-timed bad taxi luck was about to do them in, to Art and JJ no less, but Rachel and Dave overcame it and won anyway! I started off disliking her more than him, and I do think that if Dave would have told her to "Shut the fuck up," accusations of abuse would abound. Nevertheless, they didn't allow their communication struggles to cripple them, so kudos.

I also thought it was surprising that Dave was actually better than Rachel at corralling people for the Sumo photograph detour (not that he would get much credit for it, heh).

Chyna

Chyna

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 10:13 PM

Damn--I did not expect the team that f-ed up the Roadblock to be Rachel and Dave! I'm seriously impressed that they were able to go back and complete the roadblock (thanks to the aerodynamicness of tiny Rachel) and still win it. Well done!

aml77

aml77

Video Archivist

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 10:29 PM

Well, they won 8 legs...the new record. They were a great team...having to do that roadblock again was just another hill for them to climb.

They didn't have to do the Roadblock "again" because they never did it in the first place.

I wonder if these two were still relative newlyweds when Dave was deployed overseas. It sure would explain a lot.

sinycalone

sinycalone

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 10:41 PM

They didn't have to do the Roadblock "again" because they never did it in the first place.

That's true. They just had to paddle three times, Rachel do the roadblock, etc.

Evidently, they've only been married a couple of years. (He has a child from a previous relationship.) As she said at the finish line, his being away for a year was very hard. On both of them, I'm sure.

Edited by sinycalone, May 6, 2012 @ 10:41 PM.

NYC2007

NYC2007

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 11:47 AM

Rachel was such an asset on this team. She killed on so many of the physical challenges. When having to pick one of the three remaining teams, I was happy they were the ones who won. But I still cringe when I think of how they spoke to each other during the race.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 4:01 PM

Congratulations to them on not only the win, but demolishing the longstanding curse that held that the dominant team never won the big prize.

I thought Rachel was awesome, and hope Dave sees that without that plucky, game woman he tried to micromanage and scold around the world, he would not be a million dollars richer. They do seem to really love each other, and she does know how to hold her own, and maybe their home dynamic is quite different from their 'race around the globe trying for a million dollars' dynamic. It wouldn't be the first time.

Nume

Nume

Channel Surfer

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 12:09 AM

So happy this team won. I understand where people are coming from who dislike them for their bickering, but it never really bothered me, even though that type of thing normally does. I think a lot of it for me was that even though they did bicker a lot, it never seemed to affect them and they always got over it right away. I think almost any couple that gets put into a stressful situation would fight and bicker a little bit, and a lot of their fights were over minor things which they quickly realized where pointless and moved on. To me they just seemed like a normal married couple (and honestly reminded me a lot of my brother (who is in the air force) and his wife), and I enjoyed them a lot :P.

sinycalone

sinycalone

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 7:26 AM

Nume, I could have written your post to reflect my reactions to the team. We definitely agree. The extra video clips reinforced my opinion that they moved on quickly from the bickering, and really had a pretty loving relationship.

Here's a good interview with the Wisconsin Journal...some new items, and answers to new questions.

http://host.madison....19bb2963f4.html

Edited by sinycalone, May 8, 2012 @ 2:31 PM.

Nume

Nume

Channel Surfer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 2:40 AM

That's really a good interview. Much longer responses than most others I've read. They get to really address some of the things people saw as issues. Also I liked how they confirmed what someone suspected earlier in the thread that they got used to being independent so it took some adjusting to work together again.

Jyn

Jyn

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 5:36 PM

Well, they won 8 legs...the new record.

While I'm a bit saddened that they broke Meghan & Cheyne's record (I really loved those two), they did also break Nick & Starr's record (I hated those two), so I'm happy about that. Good job, Rachel & Dave!

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2012 @ 4:30 AM

Friends who lived in Madison, Wisconsin (but have *just* moved away from there) report that Rachel and Dave held a very nice meet and greet. They gave prospective racers tips on how to apply and then race. Low key but evidently nice.

I Googled to see if the event showed up, but it must have been really low-key.

sinycalone

sinycalone

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2012 @ 11:12 PM

This article probably includes some of the information you couldn't find or google.

http://militarytimes...-their-secrets/

Some very good tips.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2012 @ 1:56 AM

That's a cool article, sinycalone, but I think the event was last week. This couple was pleased they got to attend right before they had to move away from Wisconsin. It's last week's event I could not find.