Rachel & Dave

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

83 replies to this topic

Paron Xanthis

Paron Xanthis

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 25, 2012 @ 10:25 AM

Hi. We're married.

Edited by Paron Xanthis, Jan 25, 2012 @ 10:46 AM.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Jan 25, 2012 @ 8:15 PM

At first, I wasn't sure about these two but after reading their profile page a second time, I think I might actually like them. Ok, I might like them because I'm not fond of 90% of the other racers, but whatever. Dave sounds like a smart guy (and he's an army guy). I liked his response for 'celebrity he's most like'. Bill Clinton is a wary choice but I loved his explanation. Also, I share his exact fears about travelling on the show (I hate when the other contestants replied 'nothing' when asked what feared them most. That annoys me greatly) so I'm glad there's a few honest people about that. I'm also a realist so I feel like I might relate to him a little bit.

I like this Rachel too. At first glance, you might think 'bimbo' but her responses were just as intelligent as her husband's. I know most might not be as excited for this couple, but I think I am. They may even be the highlight and, if I like them enough, may be the ones that keep me watching.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Jan 25, 2012 @ 8:38 PM

I like that he understands that paying attention to detail is important. He's obviously physically fit, but apparently he's watched the show and knows that physicality won't get you through it without brains and following instructions carefully, too.

Also, I can't help but chuckle at his irritation at relentless optimism.

I just hope they really do love and respect each other. It would be sad if they hate each other and are trying to go on the race to convince themselves otherwise, especially since that rarely works. I just don't enjoy seeing people who are mismatched drive each other into despair.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Jan 25, 2012 @ 8:45 PM

It looks like they do love each other. Rachel mentions that she wants to get closer to her husband, especially after he's been overseas for a year and this could solidify their marriage and help their communication skills. I really do hope that they're not another bickering couple. I know they're married and all, but still. I'd rather have another couple as the bickering couple and have me love this one couple.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Jan 26, 2012 @ 4:13 PM

It sounds like they're going to bicker an awful lot. Maybe not as much as Rachel and Brendon (who could?) or Vanessa and Ralph, but whenever a team says they're competitive with each other and "need to work on being a team" it typically means, they bicker a lot.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2012 @ 2:43 AM

They sound very strong indeed. Here's more about them. The following quote makes me think they make it far (not a spoiler - just a hunch):

When asked how the Race equates to military training, Dave associated the two in three ways.

"It's as physically demanding as air assault school, as mentally draining and as academically involved as flight school, and as sleep depriving as SERE (Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape) school," he said

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

• Interests:Left wing politics, sci-fi, sports, competitive reality shows

Posted Feb 5, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

When asked how the Race equates to military training, Dave associated the two in three ways.

"It's like in the military when..." I can hear the talking heads already.

TDI Ashley

TDI Ashley

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 10:29 PM

If nothing else, I'm glad they won the Express Pass just because it meant Brendon & Rachel didn't.

Chyna

Chyna

Stalker

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 11:21 PM

Word, Ashley.

I don't have an opinion on him yet, but she seems likable--if only for the fact that she did the heavy metal devil horns at the camera during her jump. :)

TDI Ashley

TDI Ashley

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 12:02 AM

The preview gives me pause, though. She seems to go off on Dave sometime in the future.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 3:39 AM

I had read the "reconnect" stuff in their official profiles linked above, but didn't give it a second thought. But in tonight's opener, it sounded like they went on the race to fix their marriage. :::Shaking head:::

And they've only been married two years, something else not in that profile.

Not so sure the new information bodes well for harmonious race-running.

sinycalone

sinycalone

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 9:24 AM

I like the fact that were not recruited....they watched the show faithfully, and decided to submit their applications. They went through the standard (for some) process -- submitted videos, went for a week of interviews, etc. They are still together -- so I'm guessing whatever fussin' and fuedin' occurred, they got over it.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2012 @ 1:03 PM

I like the fact that were not recruited....they watched the show faithfully, and decided to submit their applications.

I agree, though it's a little sad that this type of team appears to be more the exception than the rule today.

I wasn't sure I'd like Dave, but he seems cool. Hopefully, that will continue. I thought his quip to Phil at the mat was funny.

SirDigbyPollo

SirDigbyPollo

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 8:58 PM

I provisionally like this couple, but Dave's intro comment about hoping the race will "be that catalyst to reconnect and reconcile our marriage and our friendship and our common bond" made me wince. If you have relationship problems, I suspect that TAR is not going to fix 'em. In fact, based on what I've seen over the years, it will probably make things worse.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 11:34 PM

I'm a bit confused about this couple. Dave is being painted as a bit anal-retentive and controlling, but Rachel seemed to jump the gun and be a bit defensive a couple of times, particularly during the solar panel task. So I can't tell if he really is like that, and if she's a bit too sensitive. Guess we'll see more as the race goes on.

Nevertheless, good on them for another first place win.

TDI Ashley

TDI Ashley

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 12:39 AM

Surprised they actually managed to win the second leg, too. Though not unhappy because at least it meant Art & J.J. didn't win it.

NotPatrick

NotPatrick

Fanatic

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 1:37 PM

It might just be the combination of first place-finishes and the previews, but they're giving me Colin & Christie vibes. The Type A couple who keep it together when things are going well but go at one another daggers-drawn when they fall behind. He does seems slightly more house-trained than Colin was.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

Dave doesn't strike me as the "epic meltdown to My Ox Is Broken" kind of guy. He seems much more reserved and contained to me (and well, mature). But then, Colin was kind of quiet at first as well, if I recall correctly. Time will tell.

For now, though, it's actually Rachel who bugs me. Maybe I'm just not seeing the bitchy part of Dave that she seems to insist there is, but she seems more stubborn and yet kind of a loose cannon than Dave. Based on what I'm seeing thus far, she isn't receptive to much of what he says, and seems defensive a lot. Maybe we'll see more of why that is, but she bugs me about as much as the other Rachel, albeit in a different way.

Dave could stand to lighten up, though. He clearly doesn't like to fail, and wasn't happy at all during check-in.

Edited by ribboninthesky1, Mar 4, 2012 @ 9:08 PM.

TDI Ashley

TDI Ashley

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 11:06 PM

Sucks to see them blow their Express Pass so soon, but I think they probably made the right call in doing it. With all of the teams so close together now, they might've panicked at the tasks and had no other choice.

I actually like Rachel, though. I find her more palatable than the BB Rachel. Sure, she doesn't receive criticism well, but she does so better than the other Rachel.

Smart strategy to just blow through the bottles and take the penalty, though. They were safe regardless due to Vanessa & Ralph and Elliot & Andrew's EPIC FAILS.

OldHeaveHo

OldHeaveHo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 12:01 AM

Dave's attitude is really starting to bother me. At the watermelon task one minute he was like "Rachel, don't just stand around!" and not two seconds later he was like "Rachel! Just sit down and relax!". He either doesn't respect Rachel or doesn't see her as a valuable partner.

And why the hell was he so eager to use the Express Pass? They weren't in any danger when they decided to quit the watermelon task, and they weren't very far behind when they showed up to the harps, either. Dumb.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 12:57 AM

Didn't two other teams leave the watermelon task, without completing, before Rachel and Dave? Plus Border Patrol, who completed it? He probably thought they were heading to the other task, which was correct. So, you know there's AT LEAST two teams ahead of you (three, really), and you don't know where the second group of teams are. I understand why he wanted to just use the Express pass right away, and move on to the next thing.

What I didn't get was that he barely had a chance to state his opinion, and Rachel was all, "NOPE. Not gonna use the express pass. Nope. There are teams behind us." Well, that's a hell of an assumption to make, given that you don't know if the other teams opted to do the other Detour, it may be easier and faster, and maybe THAT'S why you've not seen them. If stacking the watermelons was the only task at that stage of the leg, I could have understood her logic better. Otherwise, when you're uncertain of your standing in the leg, you're crunched for time, you've wasted time and still haven't completed the task, and you have an Express Pass? Makes sense to use it. I'd probably have used it as well.

FrogsRule

FrogsRule

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 3:32 AM

Ribbon, but they knew there were five other teams behind them - plane #2.

sinycalone

sinycalone

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 11:22 AM

I believe when Dave and Rachel reached the harp stringing site, there were teams from plane #2 already there....they had no way of knowing whether other teams from the 2nd plane had already finished, or were about to descend on the place.

momlyd

momlyd

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 12:28 PM

Geez, Dave. Sixth place after incurring a two hour penalty is NOT a bad thing. You're still in it - for the first time in race history!

I predict Dave's need to excel or win at everything will do the team in. It only really counts to win the LAST leg as Kisha and Jen demonstrated.

fredfunk

fredfunk

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 4:55 PM

Glad to see them blow their Express Pass so soon, I think they made the wrong call in doing it. Ain't the race a bitch!

BettyPoz

BettyPoz

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 8:00 PM

Sucks to see them blow their Express Pass so soon, but I think they probably made the right call in doing it.

I was under the impression they would go directly to the pit stop - was it always just a challenge skip or did everyone who used it before just happen to use it at the right time during the leg?

OldHeaveHo

OldHeaveHo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 8:08 PM

I was under the impression they would go directly to the pit stop - was it always just a challenge skip or did everyone who used it before just happen to use it at the right time during the leg?

In Season 17, Thomas & Jill used it to skip the 'Sled or Bed' Detour, which was the last task before the pit stop. In season 18, Gary & Mallory used it to bypass the Dinosaur building Roadblock, which was the last task of the leg. In season 19, Ernie & Cindy used it to bypass the 'Lugout or Dugout' Detour, which was the last task of that leg.

So in all three cases the teams used in on the last task of the leg, which meant they got to go directly to the Pit Stop. In this case, Rachel & Dave used it on the first task of the leg, which meant they still had to complete the Roadblock. If they were smart they would have finished the Detour with the rest of them and then see where things stacked up heading into the Roadblock.

BettyPoz

BettyPoz

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 8:11 PM

If they were smart they would have finished the Detour with the rest of them and then see where things stacked up heading into the Roadblock

Thanks for that info OldHeaveHo! Hubs and I were very confused!

tgrfan23

tgrfan23

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 10:44 PM

I was under the impression they would go directly to the pit stop - was it always just a challenge skip

The Express Pass has always been a single-challenge skip - you (and apparently Dave as well) may be confusing it with the Fast Forward, which is an entirely different animal.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 9:50 PM

Even after this episode, I don't dislike Dave. I'm not sure I LIKE him, necessarily, but I don't think he's an asshole. He needs to loosen up, no doubt. Maybe trust his partner more. And heed the directions he's given, for sure.

I didn't perceive Rachel's retorts as standing up to him, as I didn't think he was all that disrespectful towards her. I find her tone and retorts more condescending and smug, even borderline disrespectful, and she still bugs me.

I feel like they could be an even better team, really giving the Border Patrol a run for their money, if they could hash out the communication issues and maybe move beyond barely tolerating each other. They still manage to do well, though, despite that. I could still see them among the F3.